Limit for credit card disputes?

Have booked many fully refundable cruises in the past. I liked the flexibility even though the fare was higher.  Only took two business days for refunds from Royal when I cancelled in the past. Cancelled two future cruises on March 18th.  No refunds to date from Royal to my Amex card. I don't want to take the chargeback route, but isn't there a limitation in the amount of days that credit card companies allow to dispute a charge?

1 minute ago, coaster said:

Have booked many fully refundable cruises in the past. I liked the flexibility even though the fare was higher.  Only took two business days for refunds from Royal when I cancelled in the past. Cancelled two future cruises on March 18th.  No refunds to date from Royal to my Amex card. I don't want to take the chargeback route, but isn't there a limitation in the amount of days that credit card companies allow to dispute a charge?

Refunds could take up to 30 days 

3 minutes ago, coaster said:

As Ken posted, the information sent from Royal for my cancelled cruise clearly states it may take up to 30 days.  They refunded the vacation protection and dining packages within a few days.  I am having difficulty understanding why so many posters are in such a hurry for their refunds.  If banks were paying high interest rates it would make sense to want my money back now.  You can't even earn 10 cents on $10,000 from any bank I know of.  Relax and enjoy your life and be thankful you don't have the virus.

10 minutes ago, coaster said:

You would have to contact your credit card company for that info

Edited by molly361

If I were awaiting a refund, even if it exceeded 30 days during this time of crisis I'd still wait longer than that before getting angry about not receiving my money. Maybe even 60 days. They're doing the best they can. Requesting a charge back now will only muddy everything up. Be patient and just let things unfold. They're processing it. You'll get it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We cancelled two bookings on March 10th both with Drink Packages and have not received anything back yet. I know I should have cancelled the drink packages first and then cancelled, but I forgot. 

its been 21 day or 15 business day …. and .. Nothing. 

28 minutes ago, coaster said:

Actually I worked in florida for amex disputes.

90 days with some exceptions longer.

Takes time contact the merchant, I forget, maybe they have 20 days, then it might have taken over a month for us to write the merchant.

Depends how backed up things are how soon the process begins tbh.

Dispute doesnt have to be closed generally for 90 days unless law has changed

And remember just because you win a dispute doesnt mean the merchant wouldnt rebill you or file against your credit. Sometimes the merchant doesnt answer in time, so we close in your favor. People wrongly assume that's the end of it. 

Durn spellcheck keeps changing words. 

I could write a book on credit card disputes lol

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NCMtnBoys said:

If I were awaiting a refund, even if it exceeded 30 days during this time of crisis I'd still wait longer than that before getting angry about not receiving my money. Maybe even 60 days. They're doing the best they can. Requesting a charge back now will only muddy everything up. Be patient and just let things unfold. They're processing it. You'll get it.

Absolutely!!!

Asking for a charge back should be a last resort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTCruiser76 said:

We cancelled two bookings on March 10th both with Drink Packages and have not received anything back yet. I know I should have cancelled the drink packages first and then cancelled, but I forgot. 

its been 21 day or 15 business day …. and .. Nothing. 

Did you get an email for the cancelled drink packages? I was told when I cancelled my cruise that I would get an email about the drink packages (they are automatic when the packages are cancelled), but I would not get an email for the cruise cancellation. They gave me a confirmation number for the cruise portion. I did in fact receive and email for the drink packages being cancelled and refunded (it came through before I even hung up the phone), so if you didn’t get one, I’d call back fo make sure. 

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

As Ken posted, the information sent from Royal for my cancelled cruise clearly states it may take up to 30 days.  They refunded the vacation protection and dining packages within a few days.  I am having difficulty understanding why so many posters are in such a hurry for their refunds.  If banks were paying high interest rates it would make sense to want my money back now.  You can't even earn 10 cents on $10,000 from any bank I know of.  Relax and enjoy your life and be thankful you don't have the virus.

Not all who cancelled were sent information because our cruises weren't cancelled yet.  When we cancelled on March 10th, we were told we would receive our refund within 7 to 10 days.  So, we expected to receive our refunds within that time frame because that is what we were told.  We are not in a hurry for our refunds, we expected them in the time frame we were told.  We have not received any of our cruise planner refunds back or the percentage of our cruise fare.  The cruises that were cancelled by the cruise line have had emails sent out explaining what to expect.  Those of us that do not fall in that category received an email showing cancelled cruise planner items but no time frame of when to expect refunds. so we have to go by what we were told on the phone when we cancelled.

Relax and enjoy your life too and realize that not every cancellation falls under the same rules and people have every right to be concerned that there might be an issue with their refund if it is not received in the time promised.

29 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Did you get an email for the cancelled drink packages? I was told when I cancelled my cruise that I would get an email about the drink packages (they are automatic when the packages are cancelled), but I would not get an email for the cruise cancellation. They gave me a confirmation number for the cruise portion. I did in fact receive and email for the drink packages being cancelled and refunded (it came through before I even hung up the phone), so if you didn’t get one, I’d call back fo make sure. 

No - we received nothing pertaining to cancelling drink packages....guess we are calling tomorrow. 😞 

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Actually I worked in florida for amex disputes.

90 days with some exceptions longer.

Takes time contact the merchant, I forget, maybe they have 20 days, then it might have taken over a month for us to write the merchant.

Depends how backed up things are how soon the process begins tbh.

Dispute doesnt have to be closed generally for 90 days unless law has changed

And remember just because you win a dispute doesnt mean the merchant wouldnt rebill you or file against your credit. Sometimes the merchant doesnt answer in time, so we close in your favor. People wrongly assume that's the end of it. 

Durn spellcheck keeps changing words. 

I could write a book on credit card disputes lol

If you do I will buy it.  I am disputing a charge from Budget (bad company) with Am Ex  and it is driving me crazy.🤪

Edited by Judyrem

11 hours ago, steveru621 said:

You can only dispute for non-delivery.  Since the dates in the future you have no dispute.

This can't be true. The deposit is refundable under the terms I booked with one of my sailings. Other booking involves FCC, but I should at least get the port fees refunded. 

Doesn't matter how far out in the future the cruise is.  I have a right to dispute the deposit charge and port fees on the other booking if I am not getting a refund back in a timely manner.

16 minutes ago, coaster said:

This can't be true. The deposit is refundable under the terms I booked with one of my sailings. Other booking involves FCC, but I should at least get the port fees refunded. 

Doesn't matter how far out in the future the cruise is.  I have a right to dispute the deposit charge and port fees on the other booking if I am not getting a refund back in a timely manner.

You also have to allow a reasonable amount of time for the refund.  

15 hours ago, steveru621 said:

You can only dispute for non-delivery.  Since the dates in the future you have no dispute.

There actually are many dispute "reasons"

I did travel but there were very few cruise charges disputed, mostly no shows at hotels that got charged.

Dissatisfaction - my least favorite dispute category. I booked the hotel and the restaurant I expected was closed.

Duplicate charges - I was billed twice. My favorite one was a 2 week stay at a hotel, each week billed separately. They were making meth and got busted the 2nd week.

Not authorized, people call things fraud that arent. - Old guy given hotel room, pee'd on the floor, moved to new room, pee'd on that carpet. Said he never authorized the cleaning charges.

There are many reasons for disputes. Dont sign a clause that you agree to arbitration. This waived your right to dispute the charges with your credit card co. Lady paid for a boob job, said they were not the same, not a thing we could do. 

Services not rendered - hotel booked, guy got drunk and in a fight in the lobby and thrown out. Didnt get to sleep in the room

Item arrived broken, on and on. 

Spell check grrr

Edited by firefly333

18 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Royal cancelled my cruise on 12th March. I then cancelled the drinks packages and tours. Got the email about the packages but nothing received yet for either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

There actually are many dispute "reasons"

I did travel but there were very few cruise charges disputed, mostly no shows at hotels that got charged.

Dissatisfaction - my least favorite dispute category. I booked the hotel and the restaurant I expected was closed.

Duplicate charges - I was billed twice. My favorite one was a 2 week stay at a hotel, each week billed separately. They were making meth and got busted the 2nd week.

Not authorized, people call things fraud that arent. - Old guy given hotel room, pee'd on the floor, moved to new room, pee'd on that carpet. Said he never authorized the cleaning charges.

There are many reasons for disputes. Dont sign a clause that you agree to arbitration. This waived your right to dispute the charges with your credit card co. Lady paid for a boob job, said they were not the same, not a thing we could do. 

Services not rendered - hotel booked, guy got drunk and in a fight in the lobby and thrown out. Didnt get to sleep in the room

Item arrived broken, on and on. 

Spell check grrr

All I can tell you is my EFT dispute department would not use any of those.

The reality of the 30 day time frame is Royal Caribbean is delaying refunds to benefit its cash flow. No other reasons.

Refund processing at sophisticated companies like Royal Caribbean is an entirely automated thing. I know they are blaming "finance/accounting department delays" for the extra time but that is just a cheap line given to the front line customer service reps to recite to angry customers who are waiting weeks for refunds on cruises canceled by RCCL. 

I really don't like seeing situations where a company is using its customers as a bank when it has no intention on providing the service (because the cruise is canceled).

If cash flow is that tight at royal they need to return to the bond and equity markets + suspend dividend and cut executive pay, followed by managerial and HQ staff. I know we all love cruising (I've been on dozens) but let us not forget that this is a transactional business, we owe RCCL nothing. Further more RCCL has not ever paid a dime in Federal taxes because of its ability to operate in the grey with their foreign corporations all the while fleecing the American consumer and being head quartered in the US. Bad karma!  

And lastly, to the folks who say "what's the rush, you can't earn money in a savings account anyways" if we ignore the time value of money and simply consider the opportunities in the equity market (generational buying opportunity) or what's available in the CD or online savings account market - https://www.marcus.com/us/en (1.7% savings account underwritten by Goldman Sachs)  - you may have a different opinion once you are more aware of your options. Some may be eager to give RCCL an interest free loan but that's not me and it shouldn't be you either. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jonbiloh said:

The reality of the 30 day time frame is Royal Caribbean is delaying refunds to benefit its cash flow. No other reasons.

Welcome to CC.

RCI has a track record of somewhat slow refunds - not sure how much of this you can completely blame on hoarding cash.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

RCI has a track record of somewhat slow refunds - not sure how much of this you can completely blame on hoarding cash.

Been on the site for 15 years but lost my old account and didn't bother to dig it up. Hope you and your family are staying well. 

GAAP does not require RCCL in this case to realize the the impact of the refund until the refund is processed, hence the slowness. That's why they automatically are converting payments for canceled cruises into future use certificates unless otherwise requested. Handling via other means would negatively impact their industrial free cashflow immediately (a very important metric of a business' ability to function as a going concern).  

Edited by Jonbiloh

1 minute ago, MNelson486 said:

The bigger issue for me is that I cancelled but have received 0 communication from RC.  Something that says -- hey you cancelled we are processing your refund and it will be within 30 days -- that would be nice!

Agreed, we've received nothing too.