Coast Guard tells cruises to prepare to care for sick people for ‘indefinite period’

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article241656586.html

"Ships “loitering” just outside U.S. territory, especially those flagged to the Bahamas, are now asked to seek aid first in the Bahamas, before “seeking support from the limited facilities in the U.S.” This applies to ships that are registered in the Bahamas but owned by Miami-based companies including Carnival Corp., Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings and Royal Caribbean Ltd. "

Looks like a statement from a third world country?

It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future.

Yogi Berra

2 hours ago, irzero said:

. Given the numbers america is going to see shortly though I'd be surprised if anyone will want to visit the USA any time soon

• Like 1

I just saw a report on tv about a Florida couple on one of the Holland American ships who are both sick, the husband has pneumonia and is apparently getting sicker daily. They have been quarantined in their interior cabin and have not been allowed outside in over a week.

These are American citizens and should be allowed to be evacuated for hospitalization. These people, through no fault of their own, are in harm's way. Their cruise started before any measures or warnings were in place.

I don't blame the cruise lines as much as I blame our country for not recognizing the seriousness of the threat from Covid19 sooner and warning potential cruisers of the danger.

• Like 9

The Monday morning quarterback blame game isn't going to do a thing to help those Americans on that HAL ship. Thar said, it should take less that 30 seconds for those Florida politicians to make the decision to get them off that ship and to medical care. Time is not on their side.  It is high time the U.S. starts taking care of its own.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I just saw a report on tv about a Florida couple on one of the Holland American ships who are both sick, the husband has pneumonia and is apparently getting sicker daily. They have been quarantined in their interior cabin and have not been allowed outside in over a week.

These are American citizens and should be allowed to be evacuated for hospitalization. These people, through no fault of their own, are in harm's way. Their cruise started before any measures or warnings were in place.

I don't blame the cruise lines as much as I blame our country for not recognizing the seriousness of the threat from Covid19 sooner and warning potential cruisers of the danger.

Ship sailed from Argentina first week of  March, was supposed end down there also. No Country would let them off down there, took days before Panama would let them threw happening just yesterday. Not much US could done different with this ship. Cant just helo hundreds from other side of Panama to here. Only Country that will en up helping is US. This after ship didnt start or supposed end here, most people on are not US. Just a Sad situation. Numbers on report I heard on ship was almost all that were sick have recovered from Flu like Symptoms, 67 recovered 14 still sick. 8 tested positive for CV,  2 of the 4 that passed had it. BUT unknown how many others might get later 

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Ship sailed from Argentina first week of  March, was supposed end down there also. No Country would let them off down there, took days before Panama would let them threw happening just yesterday. Not much US could done different with this ship. Cant just helo hundreds from other side of Panama to here. Only Country that will en up helping is US. This after ship didnt start or supposed end here, most people on are not US. Just a Sad situation. Numbers on report I heard on ship was almost all that were sick have recovered from Flu like Symptoms, 67 recovered 14 still sick. 8 tested positive for CV,  2 of the 4 that passed had it. BUT unknown how many others might get later 

This was a multileg set of cruises.  The last leg was ending in Ft Lauderdale

To me this is totally crazy that the US will not assist in this humanitarian issue. We as a country often step up and send aid around the world and here we have people at our door needing our help and many will be US citizens. My parents did this exact same cruise two or three years ago so stating because it started in Argentina so there won't be that many US on it isn't true. My parents have traveled to Europe, New Zeland as well as to South America to do unique itineraries. Most on the ships with them were US citizens. Florida has not closed, they do not have a stay at home order like my state does, they are allowing people from other states to enter and asking them nicely to stay in place 14 days once they arrive. They are still allowing flights in. They welcomed thousands of spring break college students- who now have returned (including to my university) sick. These individuals need help, they need it now and this is inexcusable to not be helping them.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

FWIW, President Trump has urged the governor of Florida to allow the ship to dock. This is really a Florida issue not a USA federal issue now. 

Yes, I totally agree that it is a Florida issue-hence my rant about Florida. However, if you are not from the US it will look like a US issue 😞 Florida needs to do the right thing.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, WisconsinFan said:

Yes, I totally agree that it is a Florida issue-hence my rant about Florida. However, if you are not from the US it will look like a US issue 😞 Florida needs to do the right thing.

Should it be a Florida issue or should the burden be shared?

Chile was the ship’s destination, yet Chile turned the ship away.  It was a humanitarian issue then, too.  And there are plenty of ports between Chile and South Florida.  Have any stepped up and taken even a single sick passenger or crew member?  Have Mexico or any of the South Or Central American Countries repatriated any of their passengers or crew (healthy or ill) from these ships? Has a special flight been arranged for the healthy U.K. travelers to repatriate from one of the islands(they begged for one)?  Oh there are plenty of humanitarian failures along the route of this ship.  Be care about looking only at one location in judgment.  All those others have failed to take even one or two!

But back to the US and S. Florida.  Coronavirus cases are rising in Florida and  south Florida leads in the number of cases.  There is, naturally, concern that resources will be overburdened by taking additional cases just when local needs are rising.  

The best plan might be for the ships to dock at a navy facility and immediately fly the patients to your local hospital for care, WisconsinFan.  You and your neighbors won’t mind at all, I trust.  All kidding aside, I think the burden should be distributed, not dumped on one locale.

• Like 6

Currently, south Florida has the majority of the cases in the state. I wonder if they'll end up some where farther north, like Jacksonville.  The hospitals there - at least as of April 1st - are cutting back staff hours since all elective procedures havebeen stopped.

Aloha,

John

Yes, StarryEyes many failed, many turned their backs on these ships. Do you know the story of the Good Samaritan? Who is your neighbor? Do you want to be the one who just walks by the naked and beaten traveler (like those other countries who said "no" and "not my problem") or the one who helps where needed? I am well aware of the issues of overwhelming the health care system, and I do think that if Wisconsin was called upon we would answer the call. I hope that some day when you are in need someone would reach out to help you and not leave you on the side of the road.

• Like 4

So does the seventh district USCG admiral want the ships sail to i.e. to New York to have them disembarked and fly home?

Here are the 7th district boundaries:

The Seventh Coast Guard District, with district office in Miami, Florida, is comprised of: South Carolina, Florida, and Georgia, Except west of a line from the intersection of the Florida coast with longitude 83-50'West due north to a position 30-15'North, 83-50'West; thence due west to the position 30-15'North, 84-45'West; thence due north to the intersection with the south shore of Jim Woodruff Reservoir; thence along the east bank of the Jim Woodruff Reservoir and the east bank of the Flint River upstream to Montezuma, Georgia; thence to West Point, Georgia; the Panama Canal Zone; Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands; the U.S. naval reservations in the islands of the West Indies and on the north coast of South America; and the ocean areas that are encompassed by a line bearing 122 degrees True from coastal end of the Fifth and Seventh Coast Guard District land boundary of the National Maritime Search and Rescue Region; thence along the eastern and the offshore boundary between the Seventh and Eighth Coast Guard Districts that is defined as a line that extends 199 degrees True from the coastal end of the Seventh and Eighth Coast Guard District land boundary; thence along this line to the coast.

Edited by cgncruiser

37 minutes ago, WisconsinFan said:

Yes, StarryEyes many failed, many turned their backs on these ships. Do you know the story of the Good Samaritan? Who is your neighbor? Do you want to be the one who just walks by the naked and beaten traveler (like those other countries who said "no" and "not my problem") or the one who helps where needed? I am well aware of the issues of overwhelming the health care system, and I do think that if Wisconsin was called upon we would answer the call. I hope that some day when you are in need someone would reach out to help you and not leave you on the side of the road.

Yes, I do know the story of the Samaritan. I do not live in South Florida, so I personally am not in that position, though I do understand the dilemma faced by those in south Florida right now.

Ring Ring, here is the call, these people need care...come and get them, Wisconsin...I am delighted to hear that Wisconsin is ready to step up!  Get in touch with your Governor and he can arrange for these patients to be transported to Wisconsin for excellent care in your community.  Thank you for your generous offer, Samaritan Wisconsin Fan.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

First let me say they should be allowed in.  Second, they knew the chances when they left, warning were out already.  I just think they did not want to loose the money or thought it would be okay.  I cancelled a brilliance of the seas cruise that was departing on 7 March also, but cancelled on 5 March. 

the princess stuff started way before they departed.

Our government did not warn citizens about not cruising until March 8th. I returned from a cruise on March 1st and at that time there were no warnings.

It is just wrong to blame those that are in need of our help, especially those that are U.S. citizens.

I agree that it is not helpful to play the blame game but if you are going to blame anyone don't blame the victims.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

Why should FLORIDA bear the responsibility?  
Are you a Floridian?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gatour said:

This was a multileg set of cruises.  The last leg was ending in Ft Lauderdale

True, but hard even tell numbers were actually on a B2B2B . Though did look into booking one these for 2021 myself, circumnavigate South America starting/ending in Ft Lauderdale

Edited by ONECRUISER

Compassion galore here. I do not live in South Florida, but I do live in the state where we were planning on welcoming 50,000 people from all over the US and PR to join us in mid-July along a beautiful in land freshwater sea. Maybe we should just tell them to stay home and don't come here until they figure things out.

1 hour ago, scorpluvsdolphins said:

Why should FLORIDA bear the responsibility?  
Are you a Floridian?

My understanding is that the person in  need on the Zaandam is a Floridian. Either way, he is American, the ship is off the Florida U.S. coast, his condition is deteriorating, and politicians are "discussing" the matter. If, and when, they do get him off the ship I don't think there will be time to fly him all over the U.S. to get his needed care.

Would you recommend they just check him onto the next Delta flight that is going from Miami to anywhere?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

My understanding is that the person in  need on the Zaandam is a Floridian. Either way, he is American, the ship is off the Florida U.S. coast, his condition is deteriorating, and politicians are "discussing" the matter. If, and when, they do get him off the ship I don't think there will be time to fly him all over the U.S. to get his needed care.

Would you recommend they just check him onto the next Delta flight that is going from Miami to anywhere?

If ANY are American, I want any American port to open to them to get ANY and ALL Americans OFF that ship. 
For any American, Florida needs to step up for people on the cruise. 

• Like 3

GALVESTON

March 31 2020

Two crew members from Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas cruise ship have tested positive for COVID-19, Port of Galveston officials confirmed Monday.

One of those crew members has been hospitalized and the other was still quarantined aboard the ship, along with about 1,250 other crew members, as of Monday evening, officials said.

The Liberty of the Seas is one of four nearly empty cruise ships that have been rotating out of the Port of Galveston over the past two weeks. The ship left the port Monday and was moored at an anchorage point off the Texas coast, Port of Galveston Director Rodger Rees said.

The ships need to move occasionally to resupply and keep their engines and other equipment working properly, he said, explaining that crew members remain aboard while the ships are berthed.

Liberty of the Seas is the second Galveston-based cruise ship to be connected to a case of COVID-19. Last week, Carnival Cruise Line informed passengers that one of the crew members of the Carnival Freedom had tested positive for COVID-19 and urged them to quarantine themselves because of their potential exposure.

It was unclear Monday whether Royal Caribbean was similarly notifying passengers who were on the Liberty of the Seas during its most recent voyage March 8. The ship returned to port from that voyage March 15.

In a statement to The Daily News, a Royal Caribbean spokesman said the situation aboard the Liberty of the Seas was "fluid."

"The health and well-being of our crew is our foremost priority," Jonathan Fishman said. "Crew members who exhibited symptoms will receive medical care in accordance with our health and safety protocols.

"We are in continuous contact with multiple government authorities and public health officials, and we appreciate their support and guidance in protecting everyone’s health and safety."

Members of the Wharves Board of Trustees were informed about the first diagnosed case Sunday, officials said. Trustees were told that at least 30 crew members were allowed off the ship and driven to an airport, officials said.

Those crew members were U.S. citizens, Rees said on Monday. They were screened for COVID-19 symptoms before they were allowed off the ship and then driven directly to a local airport, Rees said.

The Galveston County Health District has been informed about the infection aboard the cruise ship, a spokeswoman said.

The U.S. Coast Guard is one of the lead agencies in charge of monitoring and screening people on ships coming into the port for COVID-19 symptoms, Rees said. The Coast Guard responded to The Daily News about the cruise ship on Monday evening. 

"The Coast Guard is using our statutory authorities to direct vessel movement in support of CDC operations," Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Johanna Strickland said. "We are working closely with the CDC to ensure that reports of any sick or ill persons are handled in the most expedient manner and to determine the best course of action to deal with vessels who have crew and/or passengers who are displaying symptoms of COVID-19. "

John Wayne Ferguson: 409-683-5226; john.ferguson@galvnews.com or on Twitter @johnwferguson.