Coast Guard tells cruises to prepare to care for sick people for ‘indefinite period’

15 hours ago, CococayDays said:

The Zaandam is not in Florida yet. It's set to arrive Thursday morning so they have not caused harm by discussing it. 

There are currently approx 18 cruise ships docked offshore of South Florida, rotating in and out for gas and supplies, AND dropping off sick crew.  This burden needs to be shared with other ports, States

Jacksonville has the Carnival ship that normally home ports here, along with three NCL ships.  The NCL ships do not home port here.  They are just here because of the virus.

5 hours ago, CococayDays said:

Imagine 21 cruise ships disembaking in NYC..

That's what happened to Mia/FLL.  There are ports in Pensacola, Tampa, Port Canaveral.  Share the love

Hmm, many of the now empty ships, either docked, or floating off the coast are home ported in Miami or Port Everglades, so it was logical for them to disembark their passengers at their home port.

Port Canaveral:  Disney, Carnival and RCCL have ships docked along with ship just off shore.  They rotate them in and out.

Jacksonville: Only has one ship (Carnival) home ported here.  It is currently docked at the cruise terminal.  NCL has sent three of their ships here and they currently are docked at some cargo terminals.

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

There were counties within Florida that were locked down before the state was locked down. 

Everyone keeps saying lock down. That is not the order. The order is “Safer at Home” and if you read the details, we can continue to do pretty much what we have been doing. I’m guessing it was simply a political move. Doesn’t prevent religious gatherings. Allows recreational activities. Going to grocery, pharmacy, gas station, take out food. Riding my motorcycle is a recreational activity. Six of us rode today ~200 miles through the horse farms. Very few cars on the road. The biggest change was shutting down non-essential business and travel. It lists what are essential businesses. Some people were trying to keep their businesses open. Nobody can be arrested for not following the order. 

The media has completely changed the name. I’ve seen lock down, shelter in place, stay at home. The order is “Safer at Home”.  

Other than list what is an essential business, it’s got no bite. Most people are staying home. It does prevent social group gatherings (except religious). 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Boy. Your heavy on the source thing. I think you were shown the source of my comment about the Florida Governor comments. You never acknowledged. 

Sure, when I receive contradictory information and cannot resolve it myself, I ask others for their sources.  I am proud of that.  I read and think critically, trying to go to original information as often as possible.  Unfortunately, neither the original interview nor direct quotes seem to be available.

I was initially amazed that any Governor could think that there’d be no US citizens aboard.  Upon reflection, though, perhaps mostly cruise enthusiasts would best understand the draw of a cruise around the Horn.  Maybe others would not immediate know it to be a bucket list cruise that would draw an international guest list.  Maybe?  Hard to put myself in the mind of a non-cruise enthusiast.

23 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

Thx.  For the ships near Australia, I am glad that passenger disembarkations have all been completed.  Better for everyone, especially with crew spread out more.  Crew are often younger and healthier, on average, than the cruise passengers.  Hopefully that will translate into lower % severe illness.

4 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Everyone keeps saying lock down. That is not the order. The order is “Safer at Home” and if you read the details, we can continue to do pretty much what we have been doing. I’m guessing it was simply a political move. Doesn’t prevent religious gatherings. Allows recreational activities. Going to grocery, pharmacy, gas station, take out food. Riding my motorcycle is a recreational activity. Six of us rode today ~200 miles through the horse farms. Very few cars on the road. The biggest change was shutting down non-essential business and travel. It lists what are essential businesses. Some people were trying to keep their businesses open. Nobody can be arrested for not following the order. 

The media has completely changed the name. I’ve seen lock down, shelter in place, stay at home. The order is “Safer at Home”.  

Other than list what is an essential business, it’s got no bite. Most people are staying home. It does prevent social group gatherings (except religious). 

Many individual Florida Counties (such as Orange or Monroe) have their own “Stay at Home” Orders that supersede the weak “Safer at Home Order” finally issued by the Governor.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Many individual Florida Counties (such as Orange or Monroe) have their own “Stay at Home” Orders that supersede the weak “Safer at Home Order” finally issued by the Governor.  

And those are no longer valid, per the Governor. One set of orders for the whole state. 

On 4/1/2020 at 6:13 PM, MADflyer said:

The top spots were Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Georgia and Tennessee. 

Yep...as a Georgian I was deeply disturbed by the reckless behavior.  Our governor has finally issued a state-wide stay at home order to hopefully curtail any further spring break action.

11 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

And those are no longer valid, per the Governor. One set of orders for the whole state. 

Not true, they are being enforced by the Counties.  Volusia just closed there beaches this afternoon in spite of the weak state Order,

13 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

1 minute ago, pstone1 said:

Not true, they are being enforced by the Counties.  Volusia just closed there beaches this afternoon in spite of the weak state Order,

The individual orders previously issued by the individual counties are still valid. Hillsborough County is still enforcing the no large religious gathering rule. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

My personal opinion only. I have pretty good sources I’m not going to reveal. It comes from those that “might be” required to enforce. Impossible to enforce at this time. 

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

My personal opinion only. I have pretty good sources I’m not going to reveal. It comes from those that “might be” required to enforce. Impossible to enforce at this time. 

you mean some beaches in Florida were still open even today?  A full week after a good portion  of the  world,  except for essential services was locking down?

Edited by Newleno

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Brevard County has not closed beaches in the unincorporated areas,,.  The County and at least five of the six municipalities have closed beachfront Parks and beach parking.  I’m not sure about Cape Canaveral.  At least five of the six beachfront municipalities closed  the beaches from 11AM - 4PM last weekend.  Not sure what they are doing this weekend but I don’t think the County made a change at a special Commission meeting today.

18 minutes ago, Newleno said:

you mean some beaches in Florida were still open even today?  A full week after a good portion  of the  world,  except for essential services was locking down?

I can only answer for Volusia and Flagler Beaches. Flagler was closed  earlier in the week. Volusia today. @John&LaLa would have better info on Cocoa Beach and Brevard. 

Edited by Milwaukee Eight

59 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

The SF Bay Area counties in CA have stronger shelter in place/stay at home orders than the statewide order. And the City of Los Angeles has an even more restrictive one. Counties are free to increase their own restrictions. 

2 hours ago, Newleno said:

Both Pinellas and Hillsborough county beaches have been closed for a while. These individual counties got tired of waiting for the Governor to issue a statewide order. 

Lock down, stay at home etc... same idea to me when only essential services are open.  I work in essential and snapped this photo yesterday, 1:30 pm in a city of 400k.  Never looks like this except January 1st at 6am. 

4797640B-1CFC-4280-94AA-25B83C6D824A.thumb.jpeg.88df581b14c413f0b3bad9b5b9c927ab.jpeg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, lr657 said:

Both Pinellas and Hillsborough county beaches have been closed for a while. These individual counties got tired of waiting for the Governor to issue a statewide order. 

Or was it the other way around..the Governor wanted the all counties to take the initiative to decide what what best (and enforceable) for their own individual needs.  Rural counties without tourist attractions might design different rules than urban and tourist heavy areas, for example. Some counties stepped up, others did not.

All beaches are not dangerously busy.  I often walk to a very quiet section of Florida beach.  On the busiest day in the last 2+ years, I could easily distance 30 feet from others while sunbathing ...plenty of open sand.  Practicing social distancing while walking or jogging on such a beach is easier than on the sidewalk.  Other beaches, of course, are a different matter.

Edited by Starry Eyes