Cancellation fee charged by travel agency

I just cancelled my August 2020 cruise under the cruise with confidence program. It was a refundable reservation.

After cancellation, I get whatever I paid minus 24.99 service fee minus 100 cancellation charge. The entire 124.99 went to the travel agency.

This doesn’t sound right to me. If I were to book through RCCL, I could’ve saved 124.99.

On a side note, the total payment for the cancelled cruise was around 3300. The same cruise with almost identical itinerary costs around 5500 for the month sailing 2021...don’t think I will cruise for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

4 minutes ago, sparkly122 said:

I just cancelled my August 2020 cruise under the cruise with confidence program. It was a refundable reservation.

After cancellation, I get whatever I paid minus 24.99 service fee minus 100 cancellation charge. The entire 124.99 went to the travel agency.

This doesn’t sound right to me. If I were to book through RCCL, I could’ve saved 124.99.

On a side note, the total payment for the cancelled cruise was around 3300. The same cruise with almost identical itinerary costs around 5500 for the month sailing 2021...don’t think I will cruise for a very long time.

Yep, some Travel agencies are being real a holes.  It’s really sad because Roysl is still paying them their commission on cancelled sailings under the cruise with confidence policy.

are you sure it was a refundable deposit.  The $100pp is a non refundable deposit. 

You  should look for a new TA.  There are lots that do not charge these fees. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 13

Sorry to hear that you are out of pocket, especially given the circumstances.

I had to cancel a cruise once because of a medical emergency with a family member. It was before the penalty phase with the cruise line but I still got dinged a $100 PER PERSON USD cancellation charge. It was the first and last time I used that particular online agency. I now only book with companies that have no cancellation or change fee or are willing to waive it to get my booking. 

• Like 1

I think I am going to make a complaint with RCCL about this experience with the TA, though I don’t think they can or will do anything about it.

I really don’t appreciate how this was handled. Immediately after the call, I received a notification from my credit card company saying the TA just charged me 100. Yet I have to wait for weeks if not months to receive the FCC and refund of the pre cruise purchase. Next thing I realized is that 2021 cruise became so unaffordable that I don’t think I’ll be able to use the FCC.

Sorry I’m just whining.

22 minutes ago, sparkly122 said:

I think I am going to make a complaint with RCCL about this experience with the TA, though I don’t think they can or will do anything about it.

I really don’t appreciate how this was handled. Immediately after the call, I received a notification from my credit card company saying the TA just charged me 100. Yet I have to wait for weeks if not months to receive the FCC and refund of the pre cruise purchase. Next thing I realized is that 2021 cruise became so unaffordable that I don’t think I’ll be able to use the FCC.

Sorry I’m just whining.

Try disputing the charge with the credit card company  can't hurt to try

A TA worth anything will not be charging you those fees.  Mine has never charged me a fee for anything whatsoever.  I agree that you may not have much re-course when it comes to getting the fee back, but would absolutely look for a new TA.  There are many good, quality ones out there.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

that is a waste of time and unethical. It’s a valid charge, it can’t be disputed by the credit card company. 

I'm guessing your must be their TA😇

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, sparkly122 said:

Sorry I’m just whining.

Send your complaint to Vicki Freed, Senior Vice President, Sales and Trade Support and Service.  Vfreed@rccl.com

She needs to hear how some agencies are acting when Royal is supporting them during these unprecedented times. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Send your complaint to Vicki Freed, Senior Vice President, Sales and Trade Support and Service.  Vfreed@rccl.com

She needs to hear how some agencies are acting when Royal is supporting them during these unprecedented times. 

Thanks for sharing the contact. I will do that.

• Like 1

So you booked the cruise with a non refundable deposit and with an agent that charges a cancellation fee. Some people do not even realize they are booking with a non refundable deposit. Next time be careful and use a TA that does not have a cancellation fee.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Try disputing the charge with the credit card company  can't hurt to try

They would just write it off. They dont bother to contact the merchant on such small charges.

The problem is you agreed to this charge. It's you not not liking what you agreed to. Credit card companies have a value for each person, yours will go down with the write off. They cant say to you they wrote it off, but the credit card employee's time is worth more than the price.

They will send you a ambiguous letter carefully stating the credit will remain on your account, assuming you will be able to open a dispute just because you changed your mind and now dont agree to the terms you agreed to.

Book with a different ta. I was needing to book a  couple weeks back and saw the 24.95 and found another site to book on. 

People are arguing on my roll call if it's fair a mom and pop parking lot is charging a $15 cancel fee. In fact they moved my parking for my canc cruise, but I'm not crazy seeing it. So I get you.

I booked a refundable deposit for August 2020. Thinking of cancelling at the appropriate time (before 90 days).

I booked over the phone, no mention of cancel charge. The invoice after the fact stated there could be a $50 charge

per reservation for cancel or change. If that happens, I will dispute the charge for non-disclosure at point of sale.

Luckily, no flight booked yet either or insurance. Flights are nothing right now in cost terms, but right of cancel

could still be high, missing a cruise then.

16 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

So you booked the cruise with a non refundable deposit and with an agent that charges a cancellation fee. Some people do not even realize they are booking with a non refundable deposit. Next time be careful and use a TA that does not have a cancellation fee.

Subject for a different thread but there is a b2b leg I'm watching that is back to only allowing a refundable deposit for april 2021. I'm wondering why rcl is doing this? Some will probably say there is a limit on how many refundable deposits allowed, but I've not had this before where it wasn't my choice. 

Royal cashing in on all the cancellations? 

3 hours ago, sparkly122 said:

I'd cross that TA off my list!  Or add it to my other list. 

Edited by davekathy

If RCCL cancels the cruise, it is not me who canceled it, so why should I pay even a "cancelation fee" since I did cancel it? Then, let me sail on the cruise. I do not understand how a TA can charge you a cancelation fee if you did not cancel it. Let them charge RCCL. UNITED cruises does this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TBurr said:

I do not understand how a TA can charge you a cancellation fee if you did not cancel it.

Some TAs have that as part of their routine business practice and is disclosed at the time of booking, most of the time..

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Some TAs have that as part of their routine business practice and is disclosed at the time of booking, most of the time..

We would never book with a TA that charged a cancellation fee. But, given the current circumstances the TA should do the right thing and waive the cancellation fee. Even the airlines are waving cancellation fees. 

• Like 1