Cancellation fee charged by travel agency

1 minute ago, Hogbay said:

If everyone is cancelling how is a TA supposed to eat and pay for rent if there was no fee ? 

As I mentioned earlier, Roysl is protecting TA’s commissions on all cancelled sailings and on those sailings paid in full that are cancelled under the cruise with confidence policy.  They are also paying commission on the FCC’s once redeemed. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

If everyone is cancelling how is a TA supposed to eat and pay for rent if there was no fee ? 

How are they going to eat and pay rent when no one is booking cruises or other vacations due to COVID19? They would most likely get those same costumers back in the future (assuming  they still are in business) if they waived the current cancellation fee. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparkly122 said:

I just cancelled my August 2020 cruise under the cruise with confidence program. It was a refundable reservation.

After cancellation, I get whatever I paid minus 24.99 service fee minus 100 cancellation charge. The entire 124.99 went to the travel agency.

This doesn’t sound right to me. If I were to book through RCCL, I could’ve saved 124.99.

On a side note, the total payment for the cancelled cruise was around 3300. The same cruise with almost identical itinerary costs around 5500 for the month sailing 2021...don’t think I will cruise for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On my last cruise I got $1,100 in refundable obc, that I took home, from a TA.That's over and above what I got from Celebrity. I've been with them for years and will continue to use them if I decide to cruise again after this mess calms down. Yes they do charge a service fee, but only for cancelled cruises, and I support that. They work for free by giving you a quote and answering your question, before and after booking. I didn't work for free, at my place of employment and I suppose many of you haven't either.

These people have financial responsibilities, and I'm sure their cut of the commission, like other service jobs, is a big percentage of their compensation. If the owner wants to wave their cut fine, if not live with it. I assumed you knew about these penalties when you booked through them and now you don't want to abide by it??

1 minute ago, grandgeezer said:

These people have financial responsibilities, and I'm sure their cut of the commission, like other service jobs, is a big percentage of their compensation. If the owner wants to wave their cut fine, if not live with it. I assumed you knew about these penalties when you booked through them and now you don't want to abide by it??

Th point is that Royal is protecting their commission and paying it again when they redeem the FCC.  They are getting the same as they would have had you taken the cruise.  To charge the penalties is just gouging.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Cruise Critic usually sends out emails with cruise deals from various travel suppliers and agencies.  Some of these are ones that do list service fees and cancellation charges.  Maybe Cruise Critic should encourage or require those that they promote in their emails, to prominently display any fees and cancellation charges on their front page.  People could then decide to move along to another, or accept it, if it is a good enough deal.

Often, it may be buried in the fine print or not apparent until someone completes their booking information.  Maybe this was the situation with the OP.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Cruise Critic usually sends out emails with cruise deals from various travel suppliers and agencies.  Some of these are ones that do list service fees and cancellation charges.  Maybe Cruise Critic should encourage or require those that they promote in their emails, to prominently display any fees and cancellation charges on their front page.  People could then decide to move along to another, or accept it, if it is a good enough deal.

Often, it may be buried in the fine print or not apparent until someone completes their booking information.  Maybe this was the situation with the OP.

That's why I always ask, whether a new TA or a TA I've used in the past. 

This is why I would never use a TA!  Its too easy to just book myself through their website and not have to deal with a 3rd party for something I can easily do myself, and not have to deal with any headaches like this.  Unless a TA can give me a MUCH better deal than what the cruiselines publish on their website, its really not even worth the hassle.

Edited by tennboy1981
add more words
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, tennboy1981 said:

This is why I would never use a TA!  Its too easy to just book myself through their website and not have to deal with a 3rd party for something I can easily do myself, and not have to deal with any headaches like this.  Unless a TA can give me a MUCH better deal than what the cruiselines publish on their website, its really not even worth the hassle.

I guess it just depends what your definition of a "MUCH better deal" is.  I booked a cruise yesterday where the TA was offering free gratuities, free specialty dinner, and ~$100 OBC for a balcony cabin, and balconies were available for two for about $1200.  That's like 30% of the cruise fare in perks.  No cancellation fees or other BS fees.  That's pretty good to me, and it is worth the annoyance of not going through Royal directly.

Edited by firefox247
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, tennboy1981 said:

Just saved $480pp on an Alaska cruise in 2021 because the TA had group rates. No cancellation or other fees. Refundable deposit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, tennboy1981 said:

Chances are you are leaving a lot in the table, regardless of your definition of “MUCH better”

I guess I’m the odd one out here, but I see nothing wrong with this fee being charged. It’s part of the contract when you booked the cruise with the travel agent. You say that you wouldn’t have been charged this fee if you had booked directly, but there must have been some reason you chose to use the travel agent instead. Maybe they gave you a perk of some sort? Well, that perk came with an obligation on your part, which was to pay a fee in the event that you backed out, which you did.

I understand that these are unprecedented times, but that doesn’t mean businesses have to waive their policies just because the majority of people chose to take the risk of signing a contract that put them at risk of losing their money and yet chose not to buy the proper travel insurance to protect it. And if you couldn’t buy insurance for some reason (you live in New York or whatever), your option was not to book the trip, or to book directly with royal Caribbean, or pay more money for the refundable option etc.

Ideally, the only “people” who should be losing money right now is insurance companies, but, surprise surprise, most people didn’t buy it and now want to complain that life isn’t fair because they wanted to save money.

Edited by ARandomTraveler

17 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I guess I’m the odd one out here, but I see nothing wrong with this fee being charged. It’s part of the contract when you booked the cruise with the travel agent. You say that you wouldn’t have been charged this fee if you had booked directly, but there must have been some reason you chose to use the travel agent instead. Maybe they gave you a perk of some sort? Well, that perk came with an obligation on your part, which was to pay a fee in the event that you backed out, which you did.

I understand that these are unprecedented times, but that doesn’t mean businesses have to waive their policies just because the majority of people chose to take the risk of signing a contract that put them at risk of losing their money and yet chose not to buy the proper travel insurance to protect it. And if you couldn’t buy insurance for some reason (you live in New York or whatever), your option was not to book the trip, or to book directly with royal Caribbean, or pay more money for the refundable option etc.

Ideally, the only “people” who should be losing money right now is insurance companies, but, surprise surprise, most people didn’t buy it and now want to complain that life isn’t fair because they wanted to save money.

I would agree with you about the penalties if cancelling caused the agent to lose out on their commission after they had done all the work.  In this case they are receiving 100% of the commission from Royal as if  the customer had sailed.  They are now adding to their income by charging a fee.  

At the end end of the day they can charge it because their clients did agree to the contract however this shortsighted policy will no doubt hurt them in the long run as many of their clients will take their FCC and find an agent who doesn’t charge fees or they will book direct. 

This is just taking advantage if people  in an unfortunate situation.  IMO. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 5

I have a cruise booked- did it over the phone to inquire about travel agent or group discounts, etc. Agent did not disclose anything about cancel fee or change fee. After I got the invoice, the fine print says there "may" be a $50 change or cancel fee- I don't think so. You have to disclose that before you take a deposit. Otherwise why not say the fee is $500 per person? Doesn't fly unless you disclose. Not sure what other people have going on. 

30 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

I have a cruise booked- did it over the phone to inquire about travel agent or group discounts, etc. Agent did not disclose anything about cancel fee or change fee. After I got the invoice, the fine print says there "may" be a $50 change or cancel fee- I don't think so. You have to disclose that before you take a deposit. Otherwise why not say the fee is $500 per person? Doesn't fly unless you disclose. Not sure what other people have going on. 

That is questionable. They probably have it written somewhere in fine print on the website or on the terms and conditions. I’m not a lawyer but I’m pretty sure the law states you have 3 days to cancel a contract without penalty, and I’m fairly certain that after that 3 days, you have agreed to accept the terms on the receipt. 

edited to add: the 3 day thing applies in some states and/or for specific types of contracts, according to a quick but not thorough google search. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

On 4/1/2020 at 8:44 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Yep, some Travel agencies are being real a holes.  It’s really sad because Roysl is still paying them their commission on cancelled sailings under the cruise with confidence policy.

are you sure it was a refundable deposit.  The $100pp is a non refundable deposit. 

You  should look for a new TA.  There are lots that do not charge these fees. 

One of the TA my DH used to book us falls under that category. I guess we deserve it for using Clearance Store to book Cabin.

If a TA charges a cancelation fee if the PASSENGER cancels their cruise that is part of the contract, that is understandable. HOWEVER, if the cruise line cancels a cruise, that is different. The passenger did not cancel the cruise, the cruise line did. Let the TA charge the one who chose to cancel - the cruise line, NOT the passenger.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ccletzgo said:

I'm sure it was in the agency's fine print.   They charge fee's...   Get a new agency

The penalty & admin charge is always there and never hidden. Not sure why this is a surprise to some.

30 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

The penalty & admin charge is always there and never hidden. Not sure why this is a surprise to some.

Indeed.

Mine states: "XXXXX.TA may impose a $50.00 per invoice for cancellations or for any change to your reservation."

However, in the last 10 years, it was never imposed.

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Indeed.

Mine states: "XXXXX.TA may impose a $50.00 per invoice for cancellations or for any change to your reservation."

However, in the last 10 years, it was never imposed.

If you call, get a quote, and book, and they do not verbally disclose it on the phone then it is not legal to enforce. I call because my agency I use has special rates sometimes on the phone not advertised online- more than residency, senior, etc. 

1 hour ago, TBurr said:

If a TA charges a cancelation fee if the PASSENGER cancels their cruise that is part of the contract, that is understandable. HOWEVER, if the cruise line cancels a cruise, that is different. The passenger did not cancel the cruise, the cruise line did. Let the TA charge the one who chose to cancel - the cruise line, NOT the passenger.

The actual agreement for the cruise is between the customer and the cruise line, the travel agent is just the middle man. They fulfilled their responsibilities and should be reimbursed for their time. Maybe the cruise line should pay it. 

Ken must be getting tired of posting that the travel agents ARE STILL BEING PAID BY ROYAL CARIBBEAN.  They are receiving their full commissions for the cancelled cruises, and are receiving their full commissions when the customer uses the FCC the book a new cruise.

It seems to me that there is little ethical justification for charging a cancellation fee.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

I call because my agency I use has special rates sometimes on the phone not advertised online- more than residency,

Mine too 😁. Just saved 650$ not advertised online. I've using them for the last 10 years, with utmost satisfaction.

On 4/1/2020 at 6:27 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

When the cruise line have waived their policy on not paying commissions for canceled cruises, the TA should waive their policy on cancellation fees, they are double dipping, and the fact that RCI is paying the commission again when an FCC is used they are Triple Dipping. Very bad Practice