Cancellation fee charged by travel agency

22 minutes ago, uksimonusa said:

When the cruise line have waived their policy on not paying commissions for canceled cruises, the TA should waive their policy on cancellation fees, they are double dipping, and the fact that RCI is paying the commission again when an FCC is used they are Triple Dipping. Very bad Practice

Agree that it’s bad practice, and certainly doesn’t help their goodwill with customers. Given that they are still getting paid by RC, they should waive the fee. However, legally, they aren’t required to, nor should someone be all that surprised that a money making entity is enforcing their contracted payment rules. We don’t know how their accounting practices look, it’s possible that the company gives the agents their commission, but only makes their own business profit from those fees, and without them, the whole company may go under. Who knows. They may go under anyway simply because customers are mad and giving them bad reviews. I guess the company has to decide which is worse. But I’m so tired of people thinking that just because a lot of people are losing money that the rules should be changed. If a company does it out of goodwill, great, but they aren’t required to.

This is what insurance is for. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

On 4/1/2020 at 6:44 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Yep, some Travel agencies are being real a holes.  It’s really sad because Roysl is still paying them their commission on cancelled sailings under the cruise with confidence policy.

are you sure it was a refundable deposit.  The $100pp is a non refundable deposit. 

You  should look for a new TA.  There are lots that do not charge these fees. 

Last year I canceled a cruise with refundable deposit and the agent was rather `snippy`and said if I kept doing that she would charge me $100 for her work.  I am weighing canceling my Sept cruise before final payment or gambling on the `cruise with confidence```.  Presently it only extends until Sept l - I cruise on the 6th.  

On 4/1/2020 at 2:27 PM, tennboy1981 said:

This is why I would never use a TA!  Its too easy to just book myself through their website and not have to deal with a 3rd party for something I can easily do myself, and not have to deal with any headaches like this.  Unless a TA can give me a MUCH better deal than what the cruiselines publish on their website, its really not even worth the hassle.

I've got a great TA! He's quick, responsive, knowledgeable and his group space prices are substantially cheaper than anything Royal advertises on their website.  I used to be a 'No TA' guy because of less than satisfactory experience but since finding this one I'm back on board.

• Like 3

On 4/1/2020 at 8:41 AM, sparkly122 said:

I just cancelled my August 2020 cruise under the cruise with confidence program. It was a refundable reservation.

After cancellation, I get whatever I paid minus 24.99 service fee minus 100 cancellation charge. The entire 124.99 went to the travel agency.

This doesn’t sound right to me. If I were to book through RCCL, I could’ve saved 124.99.

On a side note, the total payment for the cancelled cruise was around 3300. The same cruise with almost identical itinerary costs around 5500 for the month sailing 2021...don’t think I will cruise for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I very rarely book through a TA. However I booked my last cruise through my big box warehouse TA. I used them because I didn't need to leave a deposit until a month before final payment and they offered a large OBC. They were very clear that there would be a $24.99 fee which was charged immediately and a $100 cancelation fee on top of any cancelation fee Royal was charging for NRD.  Did your TA disclose this information to you before you booked?

On 4/1/2020 at 9:31 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

Send your complaint to Vicki Freed, Senior Vice President, Sales and Trade Support and Service.  Vfreed@rccl.com

She needs to hear how some agencies are acting when Royal is supporting them during these unprecedented times. 

If the agency charges fees for cancellations then they have every right to collect them if the passenger cancels. If the cruise line cancels the cruise which isn't the case here then the agency should waive the fees since they are being paid the commission anyway.  Many here are waiting for Royal Caribbean to cancel their cruise so they can get their NRD back. 

18 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

If the agency charges fees for cancellations then they have every right to collect them if the passenger cancels. If the cruise line cancels the cruise which isn't the case here then the agency should waive the fees since they are being paid the commission anyway.  Many here are waiting for Royal Caribbean to cancel their cruise so they can get their NRD back. 

Yes, I missed that it was an August cruise however, the OP stated they charged a $24.99 fee plus kept the $100.  It was a refundable deposit so they should have had all their deposit refunded.  While most agencies wouldn’t even charge the $24.99 fee it would be a reasonable charge. 

Just  to add that Royal is also paying TA’s full commissions on customer cancelled bookings under the cruise with confidence policy that have been paid in full. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes, I missed that it was an August cruise however, the OP stated they charged a $24.99 fee plus kept the $100.  It was a refundable deposit so they should have had all their deposit refunded.  While most agencies wouldn’t even charge the $24.99 fee it would be a reasonable charge. 

Just  to add that Royal is also paying TA’s full commissions on customer cancelled bookings under the cruise with confidence policy that have been paid in full. 

The TA I used last year and many that advertise on CC charge a $100 cancelation fee which has nothing to do with Royal Caribbean and their fees plus the initial $24.99.  They are up front about it. I didn't know Royal was still paying commision to the TA under the new policy. It that case the OP shouldn't be charged the cancelation fee.

On 4/1/2020 at 6:27 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

Ideally, the only “people” who should be losing money right now is insurance companies, but, surprise surprise, most people didn’t buy it and now want to complain that life isn’t fair because they wanted to save money.

I buy insurance for every cruise and I don't buy it from the cruise line.  I purchase through insure my trip and received an email from them a month or more ago advising that policies purchased after Jan 26, I believe, would not have ANY coverage for the virus.  For those who purchased insurance prior to that date, they would be covered ONLY IF they had the virus when they were supposed to be on the cruise.

I did question the last part and was told that the insurance companies used by insure my trip, do not cover pandemics.  So, even though people may have purchased the insurance, they may not be covered, so perhaps you may need to change your way of thinking of others.

As far as your feeling that agencies should be allowed to charge a cancellation fee, I feel that they are being paid by the cruise line the same as if no cancellation was done, so why should they be paid twice?  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

I buy insurance for every cruise and I don't buy it from the cruise line.  I purchase through insure my trip and received an email from them a month or more ago advising that policies purchased after Jan 26, I believe, would not have ANY coverage for the virus.  For those who purchased insurance prior to that date, they would be covered ONLY IF they had the virus when they were supposed to be on the cruise.

I did question the last part and was told that the insurance companies used by insure my trip, do not cover pandemics.  So, even though people may have purchased the insurance, they may not be covered, so perhaps you may need to change your way of thinking of others.

As far as your feeling that agencies should be allowed to charge a cancellation fee, I feel that they are being paid by the cruise line the same as if no cancellation was done, so why should they be paid twice?  

I have insurance and I just spoke to my carrier a couple days ago. My entire trip is covered. I also bought it through insure my trip and I never received an email like that. Perhaps the insurance the email was talking about were policies that specifically state they don’t cover pandemics and viruses (that’s pretty standard unless you buy cancel-for-any-reason insurance). People need to read their policies. And if they still choose to book a vacation after knowing these things, well, they’re simply willing to take the risk. Yeah, it sucks to have to choose between doing something fun or not booking a vacation because you aren't willing to lose the money, but there’s still a choice there, and an informed person knows their risks going in.

An insurance company can’t just change your coverage after you’ve already purchased it. Your post seems to be implying that this is what they’re doing, but it sounds more like they are informing people about what the insurance they bought actually covers and doesn’t cover, probably to alleviate some of the phone calls.  They also seem to be making people aware that if they willingly choose to book a vacation after that date, that they’re doing so knowing they can’t insure it for certain things. Perhaps that insurer doesn’t offer cancel-for-any-reason coverage, because I went online last week to see if you could still purchase that type of insurance (after seeing someone else post that if didn’t exist anymore), and I found several policies available, albeit twice the cost as I paid for mine, but honestly, if I were gonna risk booking a vacation right now, I’d pay twice as much for it or I wouldn’t book it. Plain and simple. Vacations are not necessities. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

Maybe you didn’t see my other posts where after learning that fact, I did say that  it seems ethically wrong for them to keep the money. But any lawyer will tell you that ethics and law are not always the same. 

When people signed the contract with that travel agent, did they sign a disclaimer that said “I’ll pay you a cancellation fee, but only if the cruiseline doesn’t pay you?” Probably not. So - my point was - it’s not illegal. 

1 minute ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I have insurance and I just spoke to my carrier a couple days ago. My entire trip is covered. Perhaps the insurance the email was talking about were policies that specifically state they don’t cover pandemics and viruses (that’s pretty standard unless you buy cancel-for-any-reason insurance). People need to read their policies. And if they still choose to book a vacation after knowing these things, well, they’re simply willing to take the risk. Yeah, it sucks to have to choose between doing something fun or not booking a vacation because you aren't willing to lose the money, but there’s still a choice there, and an informed person knows their risks going in.

An insurance company can’t just change your coverage after you’ve already purchased it. Your post seems to be implying that this is what they’re doing, but it sounds more like they are informing people about what the insurance they bought actually covers and doesn’t cover, probably to alleviate some of the phone calls.  They also seem to be making people aware that if they willingly choose to book a vacation after that date, that they’re doing so knowing they can’t insure it for certain things. Perhaps that insurer doesn’t offer cancel-for-any-reason coverage, because I went online last week to see if you could still purchase that type of insurance (after seeing someone else post that if didn’t exist anymore), and I found several policies available, albeit twice the cost as I paid for mine, but honestly, if I were gonna risk booking a vacation right now, I’d pay twice as much for it or I wouldn’t book it. Plain and simple. Vacations are not necessities. 

NY did not allow cancel for any reason insurance.  It may have changed recently, but I purchased my policies last fall.  I believe Insure My Trip was saying they don't cover pandemics, but if I were to get the virus, I would be covered.  

Just now, katiel53 said:

NY did not allow cancel for any reason insurance.  It may have changed recently, but I purchased my policies last fall.  I believe Insure My Trip was saying they don't cover pandemics, but if I were to get the virus, I would be covered.  

True, people in new York can’t buy it, but residents of the other 49 United States can. Hopefully New York will change that law, but for now, they’re really the only US citizens who can use that excuse.

I bought my insurance through insure my trip but I didn’t receive any such email from them. Maybe it only went out to NY residents.

4 hours ago, katiel53 said:

To my understanding, travel agents are paid after the cruise is taken, which in this situation, could be December 31, 2021. If they get paid up front, what happens when somebody  cancels later, do they go back to the ta for a refund?

There will be cases where people forget to use them or don't want to use them, do the tas still get paid? 

On 4/1/2020 at 12:24 PM, stevea36 said:

The cruise lines are still paying commission on these cancelled cruises.

No they are not. This cruise is not until August, that agent will get no commission. The only commissions being paid are for cruises cancelled by the cruise line.  

Edited by luvsun22
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, luvsun22 said:

No they are not. This cruise is not until August, that agent will get no commission. The only commissions being paid are for cruises cancelled by the cruise line.  

You are correct, I was responding to several similar posts at the same time. 

But, the bottom line is that before signing up with any TA you should get a clear understanding of any charges that they may impose for cancellations, repricing, etc.   Some TAs will waive these fees, especially in these times, some will never charge them.   Pick what is best for you, but make sure you understand what you are getting before signing up with any TA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luvsun22 said:

Royal is also paying commission on cruises cancelled by the customer under the cruise with confidence program that are past final payment date. 

You are correct about the one in August as it is not at the final payment date. 

Royal has guaranteed travel agents their commission on suspended cruises and cancellations so any travel agent charging a cancellation fee on top of this this should not only be fired but should be outed.  Don't book with "...." because they are corrupt.

5 minutes ago, centurycruiser said:

Royal has guaranteed travel agents their commission on suspended cruises and cancellations so any travel agent charging a cancellation fee on top of this this should not only be fired but should be outed.  Don't book with "...." because they are corrupt.

I disagree. For one, it’s unlikely to be in the control of the individual agent, but is likely the policy of their employer (the agency). 

Also, without knowing how each travel agent is making their money, it’s not fair to assume they can, or expect them to, refund fees that were charged in good faith for a service they may have already performed.

A travel agent spends hours and hours of time researching, educating themselves on all-things-vacation in order to save their client’s time and energy. They have Invaluable knowledge and insight that takes years to acquire. They provide that information and guidance to their clients, with the expectation that there is an exchange of their knowledge and expertise, for a guarantee that their client will uphold their end of the bargain if they cancel after the fact. 

I know that the cruiseline is paying commissions to agents, however, these agencies (and the agents they employ) are suffering from the fallout right now. These fees may have been put in place as a backup for situations such as this, to keep them from going bankrupt in the event of mass cancellation. Why is it ok now to back out of an agreement someone made under contract just because they don’t like being on the losing end of it? Why is it ok for the agency to be on the losing end of it? It may not seem fair, or unethical (not knowing the financial details of each agency), but it’s not illegal and PEOPLE SIGNED A CONTRACT! They didn’t sign one saying they’d pay it if it seemed fair at the time. They signed it saying “if I cancel. I’ll pay.” Period.

People are really quick to dislike policies that don’t benefit them. But they signed their name on the contract so...Just something to think about. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 4:20 PM, grandgeezer said:

To my understanding, travel agents are paid after the cruise is taken, which in this situation, could be December 31, 2021. If they get paid up front, what happens when somebody  cancels later, do they go back to the ta for a refund?

There will be cases where people forget to use them or don't want to use them, do the tas still get paid? 

TA's get their commission after final payment is paid and due date goes by

On 4/3/2020 at 10:58 PM, ARandomTraveler said:

I disagree. For one, it’s unlikely to be in the control of the individual agent, but is likely the policy of their employer (the agency). 

Also, without knowing how each travel agent is making their money, it’s not fair to assume they can, or expect them to, refund fees that were charged in good faith for a service they may have already performed.

A travel agent spends hours and hours of time researching, educating themselves on all-things-vacation in order to save their client’s time and energy. They have Invaluable knowledge and insight that takes years to acquire. They provide that information and guidance to their clients, with the expectation that there is an exchange of their knowledge and expertise, for a guarantee that their client will uphold their end of the bargain if they cancel after the fact. 

I know that the cruiseline is paying commissions to agents, however, these agencies (and the agents they employ) are suffering from the fallout right now. These fees may have been put in place as a backup for situations such as this, to keep them from going bankrupt in the event of mass cancellation. Why is it ok now to back out of an agreement someone made under contract just because they don’t like being on the losing end of it? Why is it ok for the agency to be on the losing end of it? It may not seem fair, or unethical (not knowing the financial details of each agency), but it’s not illegal and PEOPLE SIGNED A CONTRACT! They didn’t sign one saying they’d pay it if it seemed fair at the time. They signed it saying “if I cancel. I’ll pay.” Period.

People are really quick to dislike policies that don’t benefit them. But they signed their name on the contract so...Just something to think about. 

Not disagreeing with you (all the student debt forgiveness folks seem to have forgotten that signing contracts matter), but my TA definitely doesn't spend hours doing anything. I call with a sailing, they give me a perk package, I book, we are done. 

I'm sure that TAs exist like you talk about, but at least with the TAs that I use, that has never been my experience. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

This is one of those threads where I wish Travel Agents could say they were TA’s.  Would be real interesting comparing statements by TA’s and non-TA’s.  I know for a fact at least one of the people answering that it’s fine for the TA to keep the money is.

They can and do. There is no rule that they can't