Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 minute ago, Arzeena said:

Just heard Captain Kate's excellent news....she is bringing out the Beyond in April 2022.

She has mentioned many times that her two biggest wishes are to bring out a new ship or to be appointed a godmother of a ship. So now she gets one wish. So happy for her and thrilled 💓....going to go book a Beyond sailing that we have been eyeing for a while.

I wonder if she gets any extra money for all the tv commercials she is in, glad we sailed with her in July. Going for my third Pfizer shot this morning.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am pleasantly surprised comcast/xfinity truck pulled up at 8 am.   Figured we would be waiting all morning for them to show up!

Although I am tired of this game of switching providers every 2 years when contracts run out.    

We decided for now to just do internet connections and will use smart tv streaming then add tv channels for next summer when we have tenants back in.   This is the first year that we didnt do winter renter so might as well save on monthly cable bill.

The rental we were in at the lake just had internet and a Roku box. That was enough for us.  We could watch whatever it provided or easily sign into our own stuff like Disney etc.  The owner reminded us to sign out before we leave.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Samantha being a big girl hanging out with her brothers.

1010638116_Samantha12.thumb.jpeg.e5e8a0a4ae3bfb42aad2235220d58862.jpeg

So precious as usual.  And of course Samantha asserting her own..."No Mom, I don't want the cat bed, or the cat mats.  I like YOUR bed better.  😄 😸

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

The rental we were in at the lake just had internet and a Roku box. That was enough for us.  We could watch whatever it provided or easily sign into our own stuff like Disney etc.  The owner reminded us to sign out before we leave.  

That's what eric is thinking since most people have streaming accounts these days.  We may leave as is and email tenants for next summer.  If they complain then we may have comcast tv connected.  Tired of paying their ridiculous prices.  We were up to $200 a month for shore house.  

Just dropped that to $45 a month.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, George C said:

Just got a 5.9 raise in my social security, can get a few really good bottles of wine with that😁.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I just got my second Social Security deposit.  Whoo...hoo!!  Making a living again.  😄 

I did not know about the increase until reading this.  I have been putting off drawing SS but considering to start drawing at the beginning of the year.  This is making it more tempting.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I did not know about the increase until reading this.  I have been putting off drawing SS but considering to start drawing at the beginning of the year.  This is making it more tempting.  

It’s good to put it off as long as possible, I took mine at 67 and shout have waited a little longer , every month you wait will cause you to get a bigger check. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Saw this today in Aruba and thought of you.

Thank you! I'd like to think this dog would have not done that. I have just about every Sea Dog shirt but I draw the line on ones that make this dog seem like a dirty ole man.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, h20skibum said:

This morning, we are on our way to the funeral.  

Safe travels and sorry for your loss.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I just got my second Social Security deposit.  Whoo...hoo!!  Making a living again.  😄 

I'll be joining you Novemeber 1st.

39 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Just heard Captain Kate's excellent news....she is bringing out the Beyond in April 2022.

Well deserved. I've been following her for a while. I would like to sail on her ship and meet her.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

So happy for her and thrilled 💓....going to go book a Beyond sailing that we have been eyeing for a while.

Covid-willing... Sue ( @sgmn) and I (with our DHs) will be on Beyond June 13rd, 2022.

Is that the one you're "eyeing"?

I'm trilled that she'll be the captain, since I've read "rumors" that she can't sail in Europe because of her cat....

@Sea Dog -- we were posting at the same time... join us?

41 minutes ago, George C said:

I wonder if she gets any extra money for all the tv commercials she is in, glad we sailed with her in July. 

I suppose not. She posted pictures of her visiting Mont Saint-Michel -- at least she got a free trip to Europe 😉

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That's what eric is thinking since most people have streaming accounts these days.  We may leave as is and email tenants for next summer.  If they complain then we may have comcast tv connected.  Tired of paying their ridiculous prices.  We were up to $200 a month for shore house.  

Just dropped that to $45 a month.  

Another option would be to provide some tv streaming this year and let the future tenants know the change for 2023.  You are saving $150 bucks without providing.  If you  feel like you need to provide tv service, you can find stream tv for less and still safe.  (Retired CPA not being able to hold back advice 😂)

• Like 3

So the last two days have been hell. To give you some insight (if you are interested) on how TV news operates. I do the video editing for our noon newscast. Yesterday the company that provides all of our software and servers to digitally play videos went through a major upgrade.

This caused massive communication breakdowns between news producer software and video editing software to transfer files to the servers. Usually the noon show repeats a number of stories from the early morning newscasts.

Now with everything down I have had to re-edit some 70 videos to be played during our noon newscast. The stress and deadline is enormous. I wonder if they are trying to kill me two weeks before I retire?  

No need to feel sorry. This is what I do. Just some insight as to what goes behind the scenes of your local news. It's a lot of machines but a person has to tell the machine what to do.

• Like 11

18 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Now I'm looking for the episode on the net. No luck so far.

@grapau27  @MJSailors  @jagsfan  @Sunshine3601

So, Graham ( @grapau27) very graciously provided the link. Thanks again.

I'm struggling hard with their accents, mainly Onslow's 😉

The one sentence sent me laughing hard ...

Onslow complains that he got a letter in his cabin, assigning him to the "Captain's table" -- 

"Here I'm, on a luxury cruise, and I've got to EAT WITH THE CREW"  [or "something" along those lines..]

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, George C said:

It’s good to put it off as long as possible, I took mine at 67 and shout have waited a little longer , every month you wait will cause you to get a bigger check. 

The reason I have put it off this long is for Sharon. Depending on your date of birth, the Social Security benefits for a surviving spouse max out between 66 and 67.  Mine is 66 yrs 4 months.  After that I can wait and draw more but is would not increase what Sharon would get when I die. The longer one waits to start drawing, the longer it takes to break even on what you were not drawing while living.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So the last two days have been hell. To give you some insight (if you are interested) on how TV news operates. I do the video editing for our noon newscast. Yesterday the company that provides all of our software and servers to digitally play videos went through a major upgrade.

This caused massive communication breakdowns between news producer software and video editing software to transfer files to the servers. Usually the noon show repeats a number of stories from the early morning newscasts.

Now with everything down I have had to re-edit some 70 videos to be played during our noon newscast. The stress and deadline is enormous. I wonder if they are trying to kill me two weeks before I retire?  

No need to feel sorry. This is what I do. Just some insight as to what goes behind the scenes of your local news. It's a lot of machines but a person has to tell the machine what to do.

That never happened at WJM on the Mary Tyler Moore Show 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

So I take it you used all your vacation time.  🤔. You are going to love retirement.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No matter what happens now, at least now you can see the bright light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

The reason I have put it off this long is for Sharon. Depending on your date of birth, the Social Security benefits for a surviving spouse max out between 66 and 67.  Mine is 66 yrs 4 months.  After that I can wait and draw more but is would not increase what Sharon would get when I die. The longer one waits to start drawing, the longer it takes to break even on what you were not drawing while living.  

Same for me. 66 and 4 months. I decided to go ahead and take it now for the reason that you gave. In the long run. It's not that much more and I have 3 pensions and 2 401K's that really help.

16 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

That never happened at WJM on the Mary Tyler Moore Show 🤣

AHHHH  the joys of the analog days. It was much simpler back then.

14 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

So I take it you used all your vacation time.  🤔. You are going to love retirement.

Actually I still have 3 weeks left that they will pay me out on. It will help pay the bar tab on my retirement party. 😂

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No matter what happens now, at least now you can see the bright light at the end of the tunnel. 

Thank you! Actually it will be the glowing light at the end of the gangway leading into Explorer of the Seas on November 7th.😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Actually I still have 3 weeks left that they will pay me out on. It will help pay the bar tab on my retirement party. 😂

I had accumulated about 2 1/2 months of leave so at the end I took it all off.  While I took it off I earned another week off and added to the time for my pension. 😂 I feel so blessed with the retirement.  Some of the pension will transfer to Sharon…. I am assuming I am going first.  If not, I will lose the best TA one could have!

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

So, Graham ( @grapau27) very graciously provided the link. Thanks again.

I'm struggling hard with their accents, mainly Onslow's 😉

The one sentence sent me laughing hard ...

Onslow complains that he got a letter in his cabin, assigning him to the "Captain's table" -- 

"Here I'm, on a luxury cruise, and I've got to EAT WITH THE CREW"  [or "something" along those lines..]

Onslow has a Scouse (Liverpool) accent.

We knew him as Eddie Yates in Coronation Street which is a UK TV soap which has been on our TV for 61 years.

Graham.

• Like 3