Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So today we officially cut the cord. We had Google Fiber but starting after the first of the year they are doing away with their tv service in favor of internet based You Tube TV. So we had a tech come out and installed a 2ghz router. Even though most of our computers aren't equipped for 2ghz it's nice to have the extra bandwidth.

Youtube TV will have a little bit of a learning curve as their are no numbered channels. But you can use voice control on the remote to go from one channel to another. It's dvr is on the cloud and is unlimited and you don't have to record shows they are automatically stored in the cloud.

I'll keep everyone posted on whether we like it or not.

We cut the cord when we moved to Florida, and have been using YouTube TV with 1 gig internet service.  Once you get used to using the Live grid to select what channel you want to watch, it works well.  Other than sports, there is very little that we watch live anymore anyway.  Having unlimited cloud DVR storage is very nice...just add whatever you want to your Library.  The only drawback that I've found is that there is a 30-60 second delay vs. when something is shown on cable.  If you're watching live sports while texting friends about the game, those watching on cable have to be careful that they don't ruin an upcoming play for those watching on YouTube TV.  We will occassionally (not frequently) see a show pause for a second or 2 with a black screen before proceeding.  I think it's buffering.  

Tip...If you want to start watching a recorded show before it is done recording, and you want to start from the beginning of the show, you'll need to find it in the "Shows" section of your Library, not the "New In Your Library" section.  For some reason, things listed in the New section will not give you the option of watching from the beginning while the recording is still in progress.  

27 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm not positive of this, but I don't think you can go into a Costco unless you are a member.

I think that anyone can use the Costco pharmacy without being a member.  At least, that's how it used to be.  I'll have to ask the next time we're there.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I absolutely have to "visit" Costco once in my lifetime 😁 I keep hearing very good things about this "shop", including very good prices for cruising

Any Costco s in the Miami area, should we somehow get to sail Bella's cruise? 😁

I would be honored to take you to Costco if you make the Bella cruise. I live in South Florida and would be able to pick you up at your hotel. we could have a fun time!

Mary

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I hope you like this Greg.

Graham

LOl Hilarious. I love it!

28 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've never seen It's a Wonderful life.  I've seen bits of pieces of some scenes (hard not to when channel changing at Xmas time), but never the whole movie start to finish.  Yes...there's something wrong with me.  

You really need to watch this. One of Frank Capra's best films. Though one might argue that it is really not a Christmas movie just a movie that happens during Christmas. It's still a holiday classic. You should watch it all the way. I think you will enjoy it. James Stewart is on top of his game.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We cut the cord when we moved to Florida, and have been using YouTube TV with 1 gig internet service.  Once you get used to using the Live grid to select what channel you want to watch, it works well.  Other than sports, there is very little that we watch live anymore anyway.  Having unlimited cloud DVR storage is very nice...just add whatever you want to your Library.  The only drawback that I've found is that there is a 30-60 second delay vs. when something is shown on cable.  If you're watching live sports while texting friends about the game, those watching on cable have to be careful that they don't ruin an upcoming play for those watching on YouTube TV.  We will occassionally (not frequently) see a show pause for a second or 2 with a black screen before proceeding.  I think it's buffering.  

Tip...If you want to start watching a recorded show before it is done recording, and you want to start from the beginning of the show, you'll need to find it in the "Shows" section of your Library, not the "New In Your Library" section.  For some reason, things listed in the New section will not give you the option of watching from the beginning while the recording is still in progress.  

Great tips. Once I get used to navigating the grid, I think I'll like it. Still getting used to the controls.

8 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

I would be honored to take you to Costco if you make the Bella cruise. I live in South Florida and would be able to pick you up at your hotel. we could have a fun time!

Mary

Oh, Mary, how kind of you. Thanks.

I wish everything will be back to normal until then, so I could gladly take you up on your gracious offer 🌺 😁

When I'm abroad, I always try to visit a local supermarket (and markets in general) to get the feeling of the place.

Some more than 30 years ago we took the kids to Disney and, since it was Passover, we visited a cousin of DH, who resided then in Coral Springs.

His wife asked me what I'd like to do... She was dumbfound that all I wanted is to visit a supermarket 😉

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

I guess I am in the minority but I found It’s  a Wonderful Life to be depressing.

Fun fact: When the movie first came out in 1946, it was a box office flop. After 15 years of The Great Depression & WW2, most of the audience also found the movie to be depressing with its dark undertones (except for the last 5 minutes).  It wasn't until the late 1970's / early 1980's when some of the some of new cable TV stations needed to fill the airtime that the movie stared to get almost 24/7 playtime & only then it became a hit.

Personally, I happen to be a "Miracle on 34st Street" kind of guy.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Though one might argue that it is really not a Christmas movie just a movie that happens during Christmas.

That's how I feel about "Die Hard". And just about every movie on the Hallmark Channel, they are really just cheesy love stories that happen to have a Christmas tree in the background.  They are not Christmas movies.

However, "Its a Wonderful Life" has Christmas magic in it, so therefore, its a Christmas movie.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

"Miracle on 34st Street"

"I believe.....I believe....."   lol...great movie!  I do like "It's a wonderful life" also. One of my favorites is "Prancer" with Sam Elliott, along with both the George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart versions of "A Christmas Carol". 

My all-time favorite is still "A Child's Christmas in Wales" with Denholm Elliott. The way they adopted Dylan Thomas's wonderful text to the screen makes for a great movie. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

they are really just cheesy love stories that happen to have a Christmas tree in the background. 

LOL  😆  So true. Completely predictable plots, although I really like "The Christmas Card". The log home where part of that movie was filmed is a beautiful property. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Lots of posters here and on Bella's thread are booked on this cruise (I think I saw you posting there, if not - let me know and I'll add a link too)

Thanks, no can do already booked on March 4th 2023 on Serenade out of Tampa, after that cruise spending some additional days in Disney.

This is from a lift and shift and we got a very nice corner aft suite on Serenade.

Almost same itinerary as Oasis too.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

"I believe.....I believe....."   lol...great movie!  I do like "It's a wonderful life" also. One of my favorites is "Prancer" with Sam Elliott, along with both the George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart versions of "A Christmas Carol". 

I love "Its a Wonderful Life" as well. It's DW favorite Christmas movie and is usually played a dozen times throughout the season as background noise.

"Prancer" is a very good movie and lately, "Fred Claus" has really grown on me. Vince Vaughn plays Santa's brother.  Paul Giamatt plays Santa. Kevin Spacey & Kathy Bates are also in the movie and a few surprise cameos as well which I won't ruin.

Netflix "The Christmas Chronicles" is my new favorite. I guess I like Christmas movies. LOL

George C. Scott is one of the best Scrooges ever!

5 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL  😆  So true. Completely predictable plots, although I really like "The Christmas Card". The log home where part of that movie was filmed is a beautiful property. 

You mean the movie where the big city career girl moves back to her childhood small town to take care of her ailing mother and runs into her high school boyfriend? Or the one with the big city career guy that moves back to his childhood small town to take care of his fathers ailing business and runs into his high school girlfriend? 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I've already begun packing for Florida...at least all of my shorts and summer clothing.  

What are you going to do about the required testing for the cruise?  Our TA in Naples has hired a company to come to the Community that her office is in to test us for the February cruise, since she has a busload of people now going on our cruise.

For our April cruise, I'm planning on just going to Walgreen's or CVS.

I am way behind in packing. We drive down in the first week of January.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you, Mark.  Jim just told me that our SIL recommended The Dark Hours.  He'll look for the book the next time we're in Costco, since they're prices are pretty good on current popular books.

Yup, will be looking in Costco (warehouse shopping in the States)

Jim doesn't ask questions either.  We still haven't heard anything from the Dr. about his Lung Scan...

No news is sometimes good news. That means there is nothing of concern.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm not positive of this, but I don't think you can go into a Costco unless you are a member.

It used to be that you can go and buy too....but you won't get the warehouse club/Member pricing. That may have changed.

34 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

You mean the movie where the big city career girl moves back to her childhood small town to take care of her ailing mother and runs into her high school boyfriend? Or the one with the big city career guy that moves back to his childhood small town to take care of his fathers ailing business and runs into his high school girlfriend? 😄

UGHHHHH. Fake. Hallmark and Lifetime stuff. And how everything falls into place is just amazing, right!🙄

BTW I do love that ad about the plumber Steve knocking the door!!!!! It's hilarious! And they have described themselves perfectly in that ad.😁

Edited by Arzeena

51 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Does anyone on this thread besides me work? How do you create soooo many pages between lunch and dinner?😯😯😯😯🤔🤔🤔🤔

Work?  What's work?  Is that like going to the driving range when you're not playing golf so that you can get better?

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Does anyone on this thread besides me work? How do you create soooo many pages between lunch and dinner?😯😯😯😯🤔🤔🤔🤔

If the internet existed when I was working I would never be on line.I left for work at 5:30 AM and at times I did not come home till 10 PM.

• Like 2