Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Hopefully, that will be my home for 8 days starting this coming Saturday. Pulled some summer clothes and a pair of sandals out of the closet yesterday.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise on Allure Ocean Boy.

Are you doing a Live From?

Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Graham.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owen and all other school aged kids are going back to school today in our Province. He has home schooled the last two weeks. Lisa is concerned about the risks of him getting sick but I reiterate that they wear masks, have hepifilters in the schools and he is doubled dosed. 

It’s been snowing here since last night.  We are getting the edge effects of the same storm that many of you have experienced.  Owen’s ride to school wasn’t uneventful.  Their bus caught an edge and slid/went in the ditch. Everyone is safe and sound. The kids transferred to another bus and will send their tow truck to pull this one out. He was about 45 minutes late for school, but that didn’t bother him. 

C15E2835-F2EE-40AF-B37D-D4F0F44C7DE5.thumb.jpeg.70f311a7f35b462229a1540b1c73dbcc.jpeg

• Like 20

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Wishing you a wonderful cruise on Allure Ocean Boy.

Are you doing a Live From?

Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Graham.

I'm not sure about a live. I was thinking of starting a thread and inviting anyone on the ship who wants to, to add their thoughts and contributions.

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen’s ride to school wasn’t uneventful.  Their bus caught an edge and slid/went in the ditch. Everyone is safe and sound. The kids transferred to another bus and will send their tow truck to pull this one out. He was about 45 minutes late for school, but that didn’t bother him. 

Yikes! Glad they are all OK. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, the wind and rain have arrived and the weatherman was not kidding. The only good part about this storm is that it isn't snowing. Quite the morning on the northeast coast.

So far, the wind hasn’t been too bad here mid-state.  Maybe you got the worst of it near the coast?   

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen and all other school aged kids are going back to school today in our Province. He has home schooled the last two weeks. Lisa is concerned about the risks of him getting sick but I reiterate that they wear masks, have hepifilters in the schools and he is doubled dosed. 

It’s been snowing here since last night.  We are getting the edge effects of the same storm that many of you have experienced.  Owen’s ride to school wasn’t uneventful.  Their bus caught an edge and slid/went in the ditch. Everyone is safe and sound. The kids transferred to another bus and will send their tow truck to pull this one out. He was about 45 minutes late for school, but that didn’t bother him. 

C15E2835-F2EE-40AF-B37D-D4F0F44C7DE5.thumb.jpeg.70f311a7f35b462229a1540b1c73dbcc.jpeg

Scary, glad no one was hurt.  Was Owen looking forward to going back to school or he wouldn’t have minded an extra day off?

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I saw that! It is also all over the internet. One woman's name is mentioned over and over (I forgot). She must have broadcast this all over the world.

These stories drive me crazy with their titles that are so misleading and give the impression of total doom and destruction. AS my DH said," if it bleeds, it reads".  I guess she wanted her "15 minutes" of fame..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Whew -- Happy to hear all is good.   

Must be scary to be a bus driver in your town with all the snow and ice on a regular basis.    Guess most drivers are used to it.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not sure about a live. I was thinking of starting a thread and inviting anyone on the ship who wants to, to add their thoughts and contributions.

The recent Harmony “Weird” thread turned out like that.  It was interesting to read the different perspectives.  Not that yours alone wouldn’t be interesting LOL. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

These stories drive me crazy with their titles that are so misleading and give the impression of total doom and destruction. AS my DH said," if it bleeds, it reads".  I guess she wanted her "15 minutes" of fame..

Seems she considered them stuck at sea because they were going to have 4 sea days on their way back to NY.  The original itinerary is 3 days to return🧐!

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Pleased to hear Owen and his school friends are all okay.

• Like 1

So as you all know we are scheduled for a b2b to stay on Anthem Thursday for another 11 nights; however, we may cancel.     Hate to even think or type it but we are having computer issues with work laptop that cannot be resolved while onboard.      

Eric spent about 1.5 hours on a work video call where they took over the computer and tried everything they could think of and then we even went to Royal's IT guy to have him speak with our IT guy and bottom line is we are unable to access our VPN thru Royal's VPN network.     

We never had these issues in the past but both IT departments (work and Royal) have done recent changes with VPN servers and they just do not agree with each other (firewalls, servers, etc.)

Whenever we cruise we have always been able to work on and off and the fact we haven't been able to do anything for the last 9 days is really bothering Eric as he is trying his best to retain his customers but without being able to get them immediate answers they will move onto another lender.        

We have a great office staff to support us but they are extremely busy as there are some sick with covid and some others that had planned holidays like us since the housing market is traditionally slow this time of year.      

Guest services said we can let them by tomorrow afternoon if we wish to cancel our 2nd leg of the journey for a full refund.     I really don't want to but right now Eric is very anxious and annoyed that he cannot do what he needs to do. 

He also reached out to our VP of Operations who said he will communicate with the head of IT to double check if there is anything at all that can be done.     Fingers crossed they come up with a solution otherwise Eric is ready to cancel.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, The sea calls my name said:

Our media here love negative cruise stories and then we have the idiot comments on any cruise related article calling cruise ships Petrie dishes amongst other things.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I saw that! It is also all over the internet. One woman's name is mentioned over and over (I forgot). She must have broadcast this all over the world.

The NCL Gem was docked at St Maarten when we were and they looked to be having a good time.   While I was enjoying an evening cocktail on our balcony I overheard their Captain tell everyone that due to the covid positive cases onboard they were going to stay overnight in St Maarten and miss one of their islands (didn't hear which one) but they were told they would be allowed off the ship till 11 pm that night and I heard a bunch of cheers from the ship.   

Must have been horrible!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, h20skibum said:

After disembarking from Oasis in Miami, we began our post cruise road tour.  Day 1 - after a 475 mile, 8 hour drive, we arrived in Savannah, Georgia.  

We had planned to stay south of here and go to Cumberland island tomorrow, but the weather didn’t look the greatest.  The drive wasn’t too bad, except for about an hour of heavy rain through mid-Florida.  It was clear as we crossed the Dames Point Bridge in Jacksonville. 

48C95B69-FF38-478D-BEB8-F38A53792670.thumb.jpeg.09cfe6765cd00e2adefa24955090076e.jpeg

It looks like Savannah will be home for a while, until we see how long it takes for cleanup from Izzy on our way home.  Latest forecast is 12 to 18 inches of snow at home.  

I think our extended stay in the warm thinned our blood.  It is 55° F here, and it feels cold.  We are ready to turn around and find another cruise. 🤣🤣

You were only about 30 minutes from me when you crossed the bridge.  Hop on Heckscher Drive, drive up through the coastal islands, and you're there.  

If you want a seafood restaurant suggestion in Savannah, try Pearl's Saltwater Grille.  We used to really enjoy that place when my parents lived on Skidaway Island.  It was called Pearl's Elegant Pelican back then.

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well, the wind and rain have arrived and the weatherman was not kidding. The only good part about this storm is that it isn't snowing. Quite the morning on the northeast coast.

Stay safe.  

56 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Glad that everyone is safe.  I bet that bus driver had a big scare.  Oh to be young again when something like this is considered a fun adventure.

2 minutes ago, derorim said:

Andy decided I needed a robot to solve my Rubik's Cube, so he built this the other day.

That is VERY cool.  I am impressed.  Looks like 3D printed parts?  I have so many questions (sorry...Engineer) but will limit to just one...do you need to tell it what the initial configuration of the cube is, or does it have some sort of vision system that can tell by itself?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Good morning. Wanted to share 2 pictures. First one is from yesterday. Second is showing the 9 inches of snow taken a few minutes ago. More snow to come from this storm. Then lake effect snow to start. 

495DD5D2-D546-4241-A16B-4780B671B778.jpeg

51F4AB6C-DFDF-4F40-8F37-B5A2A9B07334.jpeg

Initially they were calling for us to be on the edge of the storm possibly with minimal snowfall.  The storm veered and we are up to 14" as of an hour ago and its still snowing.

Someone like it though, feel bad for all those little dogs.

Merlin.jpg

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 13

1 minute ago, bobmacliberty said:

That is VERY cool.  I am impressed.  Looks like 3D printed parts?  I have so many questions (sorry...Engineer) but will limit to just one...do you need to tell it what the initial configuration of the cube is, or does it have some sort of vision system that can tell by itself?

Yes, all the plastic parts are 3D printed.  It uses a small camera (you can barely see it in the upper right corner) to take pictures of each side of the unsolved cube as it rotates around (that part is not in the video).  The robot is connected to a computer, which has a program on it that instructs the robot how to solve the cube.  

• Like 7