Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We do the same.  We enjoying hearing where they are from. How long on cruise ships, their families, pets, etc.

I believe it was 2012 when we were on a cruise and our Cabin Steward had a most interesting story.He was the son of the President of the cruise line.

He had just graduated college and his father wanted him to experience the “real” world. He said that he feared not being accepted by other crew members but it was just the opposite.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

He finally woke up around 1 pm, had some soup and a covid test...negative.

He feels wiped out.

So either he has a cold or just not showing up on a test yet.  Will see how the day goes and try another test tonight or tomorrow morning.   

I just got an email today that you can now get up to 8 over the counter Covid tests a month for free at your pharmacies by showing your Medicare card.  Before, you could not do that.

I hope he continues to test negative. 

Edited by h20skibum
  • Like 1

I just got a call that my nephew Eric has Covid.He has no symptoms but was supposed to bring one of his sons to a college for a tour and he was told that they needed to be tested before they come.Eric tested positive but since he was feeling okay believed it to be a false positive and took another test with the same results.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, did a quick search on Table Rock Lake it has 43,100 acres at normal level and up to 52,000 at flood level.  It is a Corps of Engineers lake so dammed up rivers, it was born when I was.  Claytor lake, looks to be about 4500 acres.  The longest river is the White River, it is 79 miles between dams.  My cabin is on James River which flows into the White River about 3 water miles from our cabin.  We are about 30 miles from the Table Rock Dam.  You can go at least that far up the James River from our cabin.  4 lakes were built to control flood waters from the White River flowing into the Mississippi River.  Beaver is first, then Table Rock, Then Bull Shoals, and finally Norfork.

We’ve only seen Table Rock and thought it was beautiful. 
We did a Branson Belle and a duck cruise. I think we partook everything Brandon had to offer except Silver Dollar theme park. We were in a total tourist mode!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I just tried @h20skibum rotating method on my s21 and I couldn’t get it to work that way.  Using @Lionesss pic, this is how I do it and it should work for you . When you open a pic in your gallery you should see the following.  Click on the thing that looks like a pencil ✏️.  This will take you into edit mode.

C2582F97-596A-43CA-A0B1-E0A1E41A3539.thumb.jpeg.c8466dec37f861a147ff6944b2e91db5.jpeg

Once it opens you will see the following…

1.  This is cropping mode.  Click on it.  This is where you can crop and rotate.

2.  Click this and it will rotate the pic.

3. The corners you can drag to crop.  I usually move it just a bit. The crop is what works for me to get pics to post correctly.

358D4673-8FC0-44FE-91B7-229CC6689B8A.thumb.jpeg.517701802cc9002d1baf11317253cd24.jpeg

Once you rotate and crop click the save button and the pic should be ready to post.  The two buttons next to the 1. button allows you to edit contrast, shadows, highlights etc.  There are also preset adjustments  for special effects. If you don’t like the pic after an edit all you have to do is open the pic up again in edit and you will find a "Revert" button.  Click it and your pic will revert back to the original.

C0DA89BD-5E9F-494B-89A4-AABAD55BC98C.thumb.jpeg.279155e54765cf4cdade439e4763028d.jpeg

I officially nominate you to the CC picture rotation manager.

Um, when working with "senior" members who just barely passed reading I phone instruction book for idiots (aka me), this could push me to drink.  Um just needed a reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@Jimbo

I'm trying to think why the chicken pizza casserole came out watery for you.

I know you have to pound the *hit out of the chicken

And

Hopefully you pre nuked the spinach,

And 

The Ricotta was on the dryer side.

That is why you cook this recipe uncovered

To evaporate the excess watery stuff.

One time when I made this I had to use a turkey baster to pull off the extra water 45 min into cooking, and then I added more sauce

But this time the picture I posted was not a problem.

If you make again, check at 45 min. mark, and pull off fluid........

Oh my spice mixture.

That I add to the ricotta 

1 tablespoon garlic (the one you buy in the store already prepared in a bottle)

1 tablespoon Paprika

1 Tablespoon flour  (Helps absorb the moisture, Maybe that is what you needed???)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon DASH

1 teaspoon onion powder

I was away and just caught up on all the reading.

Damn

Between not inhaling, 

To

All the  misfortunes,

To 

once again beautiful pictures.

Next time I will check CC when I travel.

Well, at least this thread.

Take care

Turkey roll ups for dinner.

mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sea ya

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

We’ve only seen Table Rock and thought it was beautiful. 
We did a Branson Belle and a duck cruise. I think we partook everything Brandon had to offer except Silver Dollar theme park. We were in a total tourist mode!

You were on table rock on the duck cruise and the Branson Belle.  I worked at Steal your Dollar City when I was 16.  It is a unique theme park.  Quite different from most.  

2 minutes ago, singinalot said:

I'm taking a break from it all this weekend and taking my mom to Aspen

Latest on the travel front: my cousin invited us to Paris for a week in August to celebrate her fiance's birthday so we're going!  We'll follow that with a week in Crete.

Amazing "combo" 🙂 Enjoy your time with mom.

We've been on a land trip to Crete, rented a car, and really enjoyed what we've seen from the island, especially Spinalonga (following Victoria Hislop's "The Island").

Were based in Heraklion, but never made it to Chania....

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

The last we have heard is she is still in ICU. She has seemed to be a little better but It sounds like it will be a long road to recovery.  The MRSA is still there and her cough is really hard on her. All prayers are so much appreciated.  
Kenzie’s parents made it back yesterday.  We enjoyed having the kids a couple nights. Aubrey told her mom that Kenzie was so good that she should let Kenzie come over again when Caden and her come over.  Mom thought that was a great idea!

Continued prayers for a full recovery. 🙏

42 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I just got a call that my nephew Eric has Covid.He has no symptoms but was supposed to bring one of his sons to a college for a tour and he was told that they needed to be tested before they come.Eric tested positive but since he was feeling okay believed it to be a false positive and took another test with the same results.

Hope your nephew Eric continues to have no symptoms.

@Sunshine3601Debbie, hope your Eric remains negative and that his symptoms lighten very soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, singinalot said:

been a little absent here but I think I'm fairly caught up. I've been silently lurking 🙂 after getting some flack on another board for posting even though we're not cruising...

life updates....I've had several interviews for remote and on-site jobs in Tampa area and have a couple scheduled for this week.

my last several weekends have been spent cleaning the house, getting rid of junk, and packing. We've got the truck rental scheduled for May 28.

I'm taking a break from it all this weekend and taking my mom to Aspen. It will be our first time there for each of us and I'm really looking forward to it. https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotels/asexr-the-st-regis-aspen-resort/overview/

Latest on the travel front: my cousin invited us to Paris for a week in August to celebrate her fiance's birthday so we're going!  We'll follow that with a week in Crete.

Thinking of you all!

Good luck with the interviews.  Just show a potential employer one of your trip planning spreadsheets and you should be guaranteed a job.  And of course, if you're in Paris, you might as well swing by Crete. 😁

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, singinalot said:

I will be looking forward to hearing about your trip to Paris.  The TA we have booked for next May has a stop at Le Havre, and we plan for the long (2.5 to 3 hour) ride to explore Paris.  Our B2B has another stop there, so we hope to see some of the highlights between the two stops.

I know we have some other, well traveled posters here, so any and all recommendations would be welcome.   This will be our first time in Paris.

Royal’s excursions will not be out until October, so I am also looking at some independent tours.  

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

He finally woke up around 1 pm, had some soup and a covid test...negative.

He feels wiped out.

So either he has a cold or just not showing up on a test yet.  Will see how the day goes and try another test tonight or tomorrow morning.   

I hope Eric feels better.   I was exposed on my last cruise and felt like I had it the day after we got home.  Tested negative and never tested again.   We just didn't get around others for awhile.  If Eric has it let's hope it's a mild case.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I will be looking forward to hearing about your trip to Paris.  The TA we have booked for next May has a stop at Le Havre, and we plan for the long (2.5 to 3 hour) ride to explore Paris.  Our B2B has another stop there, so we hope to see some of the highlights between the two stops.

I know we have some other, well traveled posters here, so any and all recommendations would be welcome.   This will be our first time in Paris.

Royal’s excursions will not be out until October, so I am also looking at some independent tours.  

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I am not a fan of doing Paris for such a short trip.  When we were there we did a drive along the Normandy coast, and a trip to the US cemetery there is well worth the trip.  If that doesn’t float your boat, Mont Saint-Michel is spectacular too.  

Looking at Google maps it is 2 hours and 21 minutes from La Havre and Paris on the toll road.  That is 5 hours to and from.  

JMHO

jc

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

so any and all recommendations would be welcome.   This will be our first time in Paris

Beside the Place de la Concorde, I'm just going to recommend "Parisian atmosphere" [in this order] --- 

https://www.rue-mouffetard.com/market.html

https://en.parisinfo.com/discovering-paris/walks-in-paris/montmartre-village-in-paris

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=APq-WBtWgmDd65gjX2Fb4CUcGn1jYIcYhw:1649102250744&q=What+is+the+Left+Bank+side+of+Paris+known+for&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwij9OnOmPv2AhViQ_EDHRFICYcQ1QJ6BAhcEAE&biw=1920&bih=937&dpr=1

Are you into museums? Depends how many hours you'll have there [Musée d'Orsay comes to mind].

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

When we were there we did a drive along the Normandy coast, and a trip to the US cemetery there is well worth the trip.  If that doesn’t float your boat, Mont Saint-Michel is spectacular too

Totally agree with JC, though I get it if you think that's your only chance to "see" Paris.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

If you're going up the Eiffel Tower, book a specific time to go up so that you can bypass the line.  Get there as early as you can before it gets crowded.  Definitely worth going all the way up.

If you're into art, we really enjoyed the Musee d'Orsay.  Cool building in addition to amazing works of art.  We never made it to the Louvre.  

Versailles is definitely worth a trip but is a full day.  Get a guide who can explain things as you walk through.  My favorite story...it used to be a great honor to watch King Louis XIV go to the bathroom in the morning.  In French, "comment allez vous?"  means "how are you?", or "how are you doing?".  The literal translation though could be "how do you go?"  That phrase started when people would ask the King how his morning bathroom trip went.  Not sure if it's true, but my schoolboy brain finds it funny.

We love walking food tours.  We did this one and it was great:

A French Gourmet Food Walking Tour in the Les Halles area (lacuisineparis.com)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

Thinking of you all!

I loved Paris and even though I was there a week I felt like I did not see everything. I spent a day alone at Palace of Versailles. If you can spend more time there please do.

39 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

If you're going up the Eiffel Tower, book a specific time to go up so that you can bypass the line.  Get there as early as you can before it gets crowded.  Definitely worth going all the way up.

If you're into art, we really enjoyed the Musee d'Orsay.  Cool building in addition to amazing works of art.  We never made it to the Louvre.  

Versailles is definitely worth a trip but is a full day.  Get a guide who can explain things as you walk through.  My favorite story...it used to be a great honor to watch King Louis XIV go to the bathroom in the morning.  In French, "comment allez vous?"  means "how are you?", or "how are you doing?".  The literal translation though could be "how do you go?"  That phrase started when people would ask the King how his morning bathroom trip went.  Not sure if it's true, but my schoolboy brain finds it funny.

@singinalot What Bob says. I loved The Musee d’Orsay better than the Louve. Also make sure to spend time up on the hill by the white church where all the artists are. I spent a whole afternoon in an outside cafe just drinking wine and cheese and people watching and watching the artists paint. So much fun.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I am not a fan of doing Paris for such a short trip.  When we were there we did a drive along the Normandy coast, and a trip to the US cemetery there is well worth the trip.  If that doesn’t float your boat, Mont Saint-Michel is spectacular too.  

Looking at Google maps it is 2 hours and 21 minutes from La Havre and Paris on the toll road.  That is 5 hours to and from.  

JMHO

jc

We have a port stop in Cherbourg, and Mont Saint Michel is my plan for that stop.  I believe Royal will have a couple excursions to it, and I am already looking in to a private tour for that stop.  It looks like an amazing place to tour.

44 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thank you for the recommendations.  I am glad I have a little over a year to research.

41 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Totally agree with JC, though I get it if you think that's your only chance to "see" Paris.

We always like to get a small taste for places, and if it looks like we may not get to see things we would like. We are leaving our return plans open at this time.  We could always go from the UK after the cruises, and spend some time in Paris before flying home.

33 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Susan says all she remembers from her high school French is “how are you?”, and “shut your mouth”.  Probably because that is what the class heard from the teacher every day.   Me, I did 2 years French and 2 years German.  I remember both of those phrases.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Also make sure to spend time up on the hill by the white church where all the artists are. I spent a whole afternoon in an outside cafe just drinking wine and cheese and people watching and watching the artists paint. So much fun.

Greg,  that makes two of us... The little streets surrounding Montmartre, and d'Orsay v. Louvre.

@h20skibum

• Like 2