Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I hope the give you propofal as opposed to conscious sedation. After propofal I was hungry and ready to eat. Conscious sedation made me out of it and I just wanted to go home and sleep.

good luck! 

I had nothing. No sedation at all. Neither did John.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Regarding different types of anesthesia.

It seems much of the current lingo of describing sedation is dependent on the facility, and their own interpretation.

Where I practiced for almost 40 years we kinda followed some basic guidelines.

I will just do the basic type of "Not a general anesthesia", with all the toots and bangles tubes and such.

OK.

1.  Local.  This is basically the injection a physician injects right into the area to be operated on.           ex. would be, getting a hang nail fixed, getting a mole or skin cancer removed.  You are completely 

awake, and have nothing to calm your nerves.    This is only if the doctor schedules you "Strait local"

2.  L.M.A.C.  or Local Monitored Anesthesia Care.  This is very little sedation given to just dull the senses, but be aware enough to assist the doctor by holding still, or moving when needed.

ex. would be having Cataract surgery and looking at the light and trying not to move or cough, or getting a carpal tunnel done or trigger finger, and moving your fingers when the surgeon asks to evaluate the repair work. (Low dose Versed, and Alfentanil) usually provide a happy experience.

Many people have no recall of the procedure with these meds, when the procedure is done.

3.  Conscious sedation.  This is the one that gets a little bit tricky, and for our purposes we have to balance a fine line between comfort and sedation while avoiding heroic measures or placing breathing tubes.

When providing anesthesia to the very ill, or very risky procedure and yet keep the patient safe at all times with complete monitoring.  

ex.  would be a patient that needs an xray procedure, and at times no movement is mandatory or if a patient has an MRI, and is claustrophobic, or any procedure where the patient is laying on their stomach and their airway could be compromised.  You would need to arouse them quick, so attention to detail is so very important.  ( we usually give low dose Versed, And Alfentanil) and then on a pump, titrate low dose Propofol (Diprivan) usually after one yawn, we let the doctor start.

There has been numerous concerns and complaints by the general public especially when having an MRI, (and claustrophobic) and we give sedation to calm them down.  It gets frustrating when the doctor ordering the test tells the patient you will be going to sleep for your MRI, but they are not the one giving the drugs.

We have to enlighten the patient that for safety our facility does not put you to sleep, but will do our best to  make you comfortable.  You will hear noises.  

If the patient is persistent and says they want to go to sleep we give them two options. Telling them since we do not provide that service of general......

a.  Go to a facility that gives a general anesthesia, because you will not get it here.

b.  Try an open MRI.

4.  Twilight Sleep.  The most famous and most provided type.  Usually for Gastroscopies, Colonoscopies, cystoscopies, breast biopsies, port insertions, major foot reconstruction.

This technique of anesthesia is practitioner dependent.

At our facility we use a combination of drugs dependent on patient history and surgical need.

Lets just say you had a  patient having a procedure done who just returned from a cruise and enjoyed the drink package, or you had someone who smoked cigarettes that are only legal in certain states, they would require much more of the happy stuff.  (Especially Marijuana, man, they require the big doses).

So we use what we are comfortable with, Versed, Alfentanil, Diprivan, Ketamine, Remifentanil, to name a few.

Our patients usually experience sleep, with no recall as long as the drugs are administered, and often tell us they had great dreams.  (When we ask them what they dreamt about, they cannot remember).

Some people are actually "aroused" but we wont go there.

Now in the news recently there have been stories about people not going to sleep or waking up during their surgery.  Unfortunately  that does happen.

But, the people that work in those think tanks came up with a monitoring device that monitors the depth of sleep.  The BIS monitor.

Its values are just like taking a test.

100% you are fully awake.Just like taking a test and scoring high.

75%, almost asleep

60% and below, your asleep, no memory, no recall.

The monitor updates your level of sedation every 15 seconds, from the preceding 15 seconds.

So if it is showing 60, than that is from 15 seconds ago, and you could be higher, and start to wake up.

Our facility places the BIS monitor on all patients foreheads (Except for cataracts) to evaluate and study our own effectiveness and provide reassurance to the patient.

We keep our depth by this monitor around 50, and yes patients still breath on their own.

We do not use it in the ENDO department because the best monitor is the patient, if they move, well push more stuff so they stop moving, and the combination of drugs we give they usually do not remember being well probed.

Thats my story and IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Take care and I hope I did not put you to sleep.

I knew you'd pop in, and you're way more qualified for this conversation than I am!

I've had a several different 'oscopy procedures, with all but one of them being from the top end. 

My colonoscopy I did completely unmedicated, and it really wasn't that bad at all.  Honestly, the prep was way more uncomfortable and lasted way longer than the procedure itself.  Going "around the bends" was the only part that was uncomfortable (felt like diarrhea cramps).  By being unmedicated, I was able to leave afterwards as soon as I got my IV removed and my paperwork signed, and I was able to drive myself home. I also got to watch the entire procedure and converse with my gastroenterologist the whole time.

I haven't managed an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) without being medicated -- the gag reflex is just too much to overcome.  However, especially since a few of my EGDs were "violent" in nature (pneumatic dilation), I have woken up in the middle of the procedure. The combination of pain from the dilation, being tied down to the table, having the bite piece in the mouth, plus the gag reflex is quite disorienting to suddenly wake up to, and it's a rough few seconds until they manage to push more happy juice. 

I've always wanted to watch my EGD in action, but none of my facilities had the ability (at the time, it's been a while, maybe they can now) to record video.  I've always gotten a couple of snapshots, but video is what I'm really interested in seeing, due to my anatomical variations.  You can't really see what I want to see in a photo.

We are back from a great week on Anthem.  I’m as caught up on this thread as I’m going to get.  Healing thoughts for all who have relatives or friends with health issues.  It sounds like they’re all heading in the right direction.  
Andrew & Lisa, very glad to see you are finally able to get away. I hope you have a great time. 
Bob & Micheline - enjoy your week in Harmony.

Debbie - I’m glad the colonoscopy is behind you (small pun intended 🙂) and all went well. 
Happy to see gardens being started, spring is here and summer just around the corner!  

With the exception of a damp, chilly boarding day and a chilly last day, we had near perfect weather and smooth seas.  We stayed on the ship in Pt Canaveral.  Got off on Nassau but with 6 ships in port that day, it was too busy for my comfort so we did a quick walk around and got back in the ship.  This was our first time to Coco Cay since the Perfect Day enhancements.  I’m probably in the minority here, but I prefer the old Coco Cay - a little less developed.  The bar area in the Oasis pool was like a college spring break crowd.  Independence was there with us.  It was still a very enjoyable day.  
Food was pretty darn good. The only specialty restaurant we did was Jamie’s and it was terrific.  Ate breakfast in the Solarium every morning, not as many options as the WJ but so much quieter & relaxing!  
Disembarking (self) was ridiculously easy. We left our cabin at 6:42 am and the time stamp on the parking ticket out of the garage was 6:50!  No traffic on the turnpike, Cuomo bridge or 95 N, we pulled into our driveway at 9:37 am.  Just a couple of pics:

0C476ED4-EA66-41D1-A9FC-6D81793C630A.thumb.jpeg.d210fca6002e7efad4b299a53794ff18.jpeg

meat plank at Jamie’s4142A58A-06EB-40C5-8AB9-9C950F2BE097.thumb.jpeg.4248ceb87f58e7fb2bfbac0a5bb189b9.jpeg

outdoor dining at Jamie’s 6A207E2E-B100-4EFE-ADD4-3ABF41B92AE7.thumb.jpeg.381f73d144ae26b0c667011b30859283.jpeg

I need to work on my line shots1DD1342B-ADC8-4B8C-A32A-C4806205EA01.thumb.jpeg.ddf8b10f58a883bfc302458b813b96e3.jpeg

Indy and Anthem4251B136-D915-46CF-9471-049BC8A3F9FF.thumb.jpeg.cd751012f39b0c85618a56d0c34ef392.jpeg

NYC skyline at 5:30 yesterday morning.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I am not sure what they called mine, but I woke up during the procedure and told them they could back that truck out of there anytime.

I got a reminder card that I should schedule one.  Maybe later in the year, but I don’t want to wake up during another!

I didn't mind waking up as it was towards the end of the procedure and I didn't feel anything just starting talking with the nurse anesthetist and other nurse while doc was behind me.   They wanted to know where I got my hair braided (coco cay) and started talking about their recent and future travel plans to various islands and cruises.     I was right at home there. 

The prep I had was pretty mild from what I hear from others but I still did not like yesterday and hope to forget that feeling sooner rather later.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Earlier today Toby was going to the post office.It was sunny and about 50 degrease so I went with her,a very short car ride and only a few feet to walk.

I sent something certified and the amount to pay was $4.33.I gave the woman behind the counter 4 one dollar bills,a quarter and a dime.

She looked at me and asked for 3 cents.I replied that I gave her 35 cents and she has to give me 2 cents back.She had no idea what I was talking about .She told me the amount was $4.33 and I had to give her 3 cents.

I could not believe it.I can just imagine if I had dollar coins or a two dollar bill.Finally after total silence on her part she gave me 2 cents.

Some people’s intelligence level simply amaze me.

47 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I had nothing. No sedation at all. Neither did John.

Yikes I don’t think I could handle that.

29 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

4142A58A-06EB-40C5-8AB9-9C950F2BE097.thumb.jpeg.4248ceb87f58e7fb2bfbac0a5bb189b9.jpeg

outdoor dining at Jamie’s 6A207E2E-B100-4EFE-ADD4-3ABF41B92AE7.thumb.jpeg.381f73d144ae26b0c667011b30859283.jpeg

I need to work on my line shots

Welcome back Deb! I’m glad you and Andy had a great cruise. I give you an “A” for effort on our little mooring game of getting some close ups before getting yelled at. Cheers to you!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I’m glad everything went well. You probably had the conscious sedation if you woke up in the OR. Enjoy the rest of your day!

They are suppose to call me tomorrow morning and see how I am feeling.   I am curious to find out what they gave me and will ask tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

Regarding different types of anesthesia.

It seems much of the current lingo of describing sedation is dependent on the facility, and their own interpretation.

Where I practiced for almost 40 years we kinda followed some basic guidelines.

I will just do the basic type of "Not a general anesthesia", with all the toots and bangles tubes and such.

OK.

1.  Local.  This is basically the injection a physician injects right into the area to be operated on.           ex. would be, getting a hang nail fixed, getting a mole or skin cancer removed.  You are completely 

awake, and have nothing to calm your nerves.    This is only if the doctor schedules you "Strait local"

2.  L.M.A.C.  or Local Monitored Anesthesia Care.  This is very little sedation given to just dull the senses, but be aware enough to assist the doctor by holding still, or moving when needed.

ex. would be having Cataract surgery and looking at the light and trying not to move or cough, or getting a carpal tunnel done or trigger finger, and moving your fingers when the surgeon asks to evaluate the repair work. (Low dose Versed, and Alfentanil) usually provide a happy experience.

Many people have no recall of the procedure with these meds, when the procedure is done.

3.  Conscious sedation.  This is the one that gets a little bit tricky, and for our purposes we have to balance a fine line between comfort and sedation while avoiding heroic measures or placing breathing tubes.

When providing anesthesia to the very ill, or very risky procedure and yet keep the patient safe at all times with complete monitoring.  

ex.  would be a patient that needs an xray procedure, and at times no movement is mandatory or if a patient has an MRI, and is claustrophobic, or any procedure where the patient is laying on their stomach and their airway could be compromised.  You would need to arouse them quick, so attention to detail is so very important.  ( we usually give low dose Versed, And Alfentanil) and then on a pump, titrate low dose Propofol (Diprivan) usually after one yawn, we let the doctor start.

There has been numerous concerns and complaints by the general public especially when having an MRI, (and claustrophobic) and we give sedation to calm them down.  It gets frustrating when the doctor ordering the test tells the patient you will be going to sleep for your MRI, but they are not the one giving the drugs.

We have to enlighten the patient that for safety our facility does not put you to sleep, but will do our best to  make you comfortable.  You will hear noises.  

If the patient is persistent and says they want to go to sleep we give them two options. Telling them since we do not provide that service of general......

a.  Go to a facility that gives a general anesthesia, because you will not get it here.

b.  Try an open MRI.

4.  Twilight Sleep.  The most famous and most provided type.  Usually for Gastroscopies, Colonoscopies, cystoscopies, breast biopsies, port insertions, major foot reconstruction.

This technique of anesthesia is practitioner dependent.

At our facility we use a combination of drugs dependent on patient history and surgical need.

Lets just say you had a  patient having a procedure done who just returned from a cruise and enjoyed the drink package, or you had someone who smoked cigarettes that are only legal in certain states, they would require much more of the happy stuff.  (Especially Marijuana, man, they require the big doses).

So we use what we are comfortable with, Versed, Alfentanil, Diprivan, Ketamine, Remifentanil, to name a few.

Our patients usually experience sleep, with no recall as long as the drugs are administered, and often tell us they had great dreams.  (When we ask them what they dreamt about, they cannot remember).

Some people are actually "aroused" but we wont go there.

Now in the news recently there have been stories about people not going to sleep or waking up during their surgery.  Unfortunately  that does happen.

But, the people that work in those think tanks came up with a monitoring device that monitors the depth of sleep.  The BIS monitor.

Its values are just like taking a test.

100% you are fully awake.Just like taking a test and scoring high.

75%, almost asleep

60% and below, your asleep, no memory, no recall.

The monitor updates your level of sedation every 15 seconds, from the preceding 15 seconds.

So if it is showing 60, than that is from 15 seconds ago, and you could be higher, and start to wake up.

Our facility places the BIS monitor on all patients foreheads (Except for cataracts) to evaluate and study our own effectiveness and provide reassurance to the patient.

We keep our depth by this monitor around 50, and yes patients still breath on their own.

We do not use it in the ENDO department because the best monitor is the patient, if they move, well push more stuff so they stop moving, and the combination of drugs we give they usually do not remember being well probed.

Thats my story and IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Take care and I hope I did not put you to sleep.

Sue thank you for your very informative and helpful information on Anesthesia. Where does Propofal fall in ? I had that for my Knee Replacement. Great stuff unless your Michael Jackson, sorry couldn’t resist. I know bad joke.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I've always wanted to watch my EGD in action, but none of my facilities had the ability (at the time, it's been a while, maybe they can now) to record video.  I've always gotten a couple of snapshots, but video is what I'm really interested in seeing, due to my anatomical variations.  You can't really see what I want to see in a photo.

years ago I saw a video of Eric's EGD and now I can say I know him inside and out😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

28 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I didn't mind waking up as it was towards the end of the procedure and I didn't feel anything just starting talking with the nurse anesthetist and other nurse while doc was behind me.   They wanted to know where I got my hair braided (coco cay) and started talking about their recent and future travel plans to various islands and cruises.     I was right at home there. 

The prep I had was pretty mild from what I hear from others but I still did not like yesterday and hope to forget that feeling sooner rather later.   

Where is the pics of the hair do ?

19 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

I was not going to post this 2 weeks ago when my 15 year old niece in Israel had a spinal stroke leaving her totally paralyzed. This thread is full of the most sympathetic and compassionate  folks, but I still hesitated bringing this into our thread .   BUT now I can mention it because Hila (pronounced Heela) has movement in her legs and arms.  She can now finally stay sitting up with help and the therapists are working with her to get her to slowly walk. We were sent a video of her lifting up both her legs high and twirling them around.  Yayyy! 

Doctors are optimistic she'll be able to walk again after lots of therapy.

This is a very rare stroke for a 15 year old.

So please keep sweet Hila in your prayers for a complete recovery.

Note to @dani negreanu: Dani, Hila is Jack's twin sister's granddaughter who lives in Modi'in in a high rise.  All 3 married children of Jack's sister live in Modi'in.

That is wonderful news .I

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Banana split sounds so good right!  I will have to peak at kids menu our next cruise.

I love Banana Splits although I have not had one for many years.There are two Ice Cream parlors in my part of NY that have on their menu’s items that were popular close to 100 years ago.Prior to the pandemic we would go to one for my birthday and to the other one for Toby’s birthday.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

We are back from a great week on Anthem.  I’m as caught up on this thread as I’m going to get.  Healing thoughts for all who have relatives or friends with health issues.  It sounds like they’re all heading in the right direction.  
Andrew & Lisa, very glad to see you are finally able to get away. I hope you have a great time. 

Debbie - I’m glad the colonoscopy is behind you (small pun intended 🙂) and all went well. 
Happy to see gardens being started, spring is here and summer just around the corner!  

With the exception of a damp, chilly boarding day and a chilly last day, we had near perfect weather and smooth seas.  We stayed on the ship in Pt Canaveral.  Got off on Nassau but with 6 ships in port that day, it was too busy for my comfort so we did a quick walk around and got back in the ship.  This was our first time to Coco Cay since the Perfect Day enhancements.  I’m probably in the minority here, but I prefer the old Coco Cay - a little less developed.  The bar area in the Oasis pool was like a college spring break crowd.  Independence was there with us.  It was still a very enjoyable day.  
Food was pretty darn good. The only specialty restaurant we did was Jamie’s and it was terrific.  Ate breakfast in the Solarium every morning, not as many options as the WJ but so much quieter & relaxing!  
Disembarking (self) was ridiculously easy. We left our cabin at 6:42 am and the time stamp on the parking ticket out of the garage was 6:50!  No traffic on the turnpike, Cuomo bridge or 95 N, we pulled into our driveway at 9:37 am.  Just a couple of pics:

0C476ED4-EA66-41D1-A9FC-6D81793C630A.thumb.jpeg.d210fca6002e7efad4b299a53794ff18.jpeg

meat plank at Jamie’s4142A58A-06EB-40C5-8AB9-9C950F2BE097.thumb.jpeg.4248ceb87f58e7fb2bfbac0a5bb189b9.jpeg

I need to work on my line shots1DD1342B-ADC8-4B8C-A32A-C4806205EA01.thumb.jpeg.ddf8b10f58a883bfc302458b813b96e3.jpeg

Indy and Anthem4251B136-D915-46CF-9471-049BC8A3F9FF.thumb.jpeg.cd751012f39b0c85618a56d0c34ef392.jpeg

Fabulous!    Welcome Home and happy to hear you had great weather except for the 1st and last day (which is pretty normal for sailings this time of year out of Bayonne). 

On our 2nd week there was 6 ships in Nassau and you are right that is far too many people for such a small area.

And I agree you with about the Oasis Pool at CocoCay, I wanted to relax and enjoy the pool but it was far too crowded and noisy so we moved around from South Beach and Chill Beach and floated on our noodles at the lagoon for quite awhile.   

Most important question:    Did you meet up with Rajesh at Casino Bar for the "Debra Special Mojito"?

We did not go to Jamies on our last sailing but when we do we try to pick a nice warm day to eat outside too.    I enjoy the outdoor patio behind WJ when I eat there.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Sue thank you for your very informative and helpful information on Anesthesia. Where does Propofal fall in ? I had that for my Knee Replacement. Great stuff unless your Michael Jackson, sorry couldn’t resist. I know bad joke.

Propofol depending on the dose, could be used for total IV anesthesia (aka general)  but it would be in combination with other potent potables. Narcotics, amnesics, muscle relaxers, it works very well but many facilities that offer services to all patients whether insured or not, stay away from offering this luxury because of the cost.  We use gas and fentanyl, versed which is cheaper and i guess you can call it.............Dollar General Anesthesia............

Private facilities that bill for there services on paying and/or insured customers use tons of Diprivan (Propofol).  Like outpatient surgery centers, they make $$$$$$ or they would not be doing it and can afford the best stuff around.

Our hospital is a member of the knife and gun club, aka Level I trauma center.

We take care of those who do not take care of themselves, and others who just were in the wrong place at the wrong time when they got shot 10 times.

Like the poor 22 year old who was just sitting on his porch ready his bible, when this car just drove by and shot him for no reason..............

or 

The 16 year old who was walking home from the library at midnight and was knifed for no apparent reason................................................. and asked if he could put his valuables in the safe before his surgery.  (a baggie of Marijuana and many $20 dollar bills).

or

The innocent driver just  minding his own business driving home from the bar, when he just did not see that stop sign and totaled his car as well as his knee. Refused breathalyzer, but asked for Dilaudid because that is the only thing that works in all his car crashes. 

We seen it all.

Man I could entertain you with stories of real life experiences in the OR.

Oh we  rotate the trauma cases.

When the OR alert went of expecting a trauma, we knew whose number was up.

We would go set up the trauma room, then wait by the door that led from the ER to the OR.

So 3-11 shift

My turn.

DING DING DING

Trauma team 5 min.

Yup it is

As we enter the room, I ask the young man if he had any drug allergies or any major health issues as he is bleeding from his leg and arm from bullets.

Now  mind you I have a mask and bonnet on

We move him to the operating room table

And as I hold the mask above his face and start the drugs 

He looks at me and goes.

You did my anesthesia last time

I snicker under my mask, and go....................you lived????????

Oh I felt guilty when I said that at his moment of need.

But, fortunately when he had the drugs, he did not remember anything when I did a post op visit.

Oh, I missed providing his anesthesia for his third gunshot wound, I covered OB that day and was doing epidurals for the moms to be.

Yes folks, it really happens.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Glad to hear y’all enjoyed the cruise and thanks for the pics.  I like the meat planks at Jamie’s.  Would love to see more pics if you have more you would like to share.

• Like 1

I watched Micheline get surgery for a torn rotator cuff from the other side of glass wall. It was a very violent procedure. She was on her side and her body was being pushed around a lot. After a few minutes, I had to instead focus on the monitor that showed the internal camera that the doctor was seeing. That was fascinating, at least to me. When I tried to describe it to Micheline later, she had no interest at all in hearing about it. 

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Man I could entertain you with stories of real life experiences in the OR.

Sue Thank you for what you do. I can't wait till we cruise together. I want to hear all your stories over a few cocktails. 

• Like 6

I picked up a new pair of hearing aides today.  I have always got the ones that use batteries but I let the audiologist talk me into rechargeable ones this time.  Really not sure if I had a choice.  This is the first model that pairs with android so now when I receive a call I can hear the call in my hearing aides.  The last 2 models would pair with Apple products only.  The first pair I had required a necklace device to pick up calls on Android.  I also have a device that is attached to the tv that connects to the hearing aides.  Makes it a lot easier to understand what they are saying.  I can even leave the room and still hear it.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I picked up a new pair of hearing aides today.  I have always got the ones that use batteries but I let the audiologist talk me into rechargeable ones this time.  Really not sure if I had a choice.  This is the first model that pairs with android so now when I receive a call I can hear the call in my hearing aides.  The last 2 models would pair with Apple products only.  The first pair I had required a necklace device to pick up calls on Android.  I also have a device that is attached to the tv that connects to the hearing aides.  Makes it a lot easier to understand what they are saying.  I can even leave the room and still hear it.

Linda is has really been pushing me to get hearing aids. I have horrible ringing in my ears and can't hear 1300K frequencies. I watch tv with the subtitles on just to understand all the dialogue. All those years as a drummer/percussionist and a news cameraman doing live shots with ear pieces so I could hear the director has taken it's toll.

What kind and model do you recommend? Are you conscious about wearing them?  Do they feel weird? How much do you think they help?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I had no idea there were all these options with hearing aides nowadays.    That is amazing.      

If you have it connected for your TV do you hear TV only or can you Sharon or whoever else is in the area speaking with you?   

I can see getting in trouble if you hear TV only

24 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I watched Micheline get surgery for a torn rotator cuff from the other side of glass wall. It was a very violent procedure. She was on her side and her body was being pushed around a lot. After a few minutes, I had to instead focus on the monitor that showed the internal camera that the doctor was seeing. That was fascinating, at least to me. When I tried to describe it to Micheline later, she had no interest at all in hearing about it. 

I had Lasik done years ago, they had a screen in the waiting room for those there to watch.  Jim watched t all, I had no interest in hearing about it.  The big difference I was awake for the procedure.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Hearing aides have come a long way.  My niece is deaf in one ear and wears a hearing aid at times.  It came in very handy when she was in college as if could connect to the audio system in lecture halls and many other venues.

• Like 4

I’m on the border of needing hearing aids. I’m probably actually over the border but don’t want to wear them. They would certainly help me say “what?” a lot less. I figure the longer I wait, the better/smaller they will get. One guy that I play golf with has them and I didn’t know until he mentioned it. Practically invisible. 

How often do hearing aids need to be replaced?

• Like 4