Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I probably was thinking of a different building .Was your father a construction worker ?

Yes.   My Dad was a Carpenter.  He was a Forman at the Construction Company he worked for.  Some of the buildings that he worked on was 2 Broadway,  P.S. 13 on Staten Island, and Kennedy Airport.  He was in great physical shape, never smoked, etc.  He died as a result of a construction accident while working on the 2nd Avenue Subway in NYC.  He fell 25 feet down and was in a Coma for a week before he passed away.  He was 61 years old.  This happened in 1981.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

We had some interior painting done a couple of months ago…and the job was done so well we’ve hired him to paint the exterior.  Today they removed all the shutters prior to pressure washing.  This will take four weeks or so from start to finish…but the end result should be great!8EE29D02-D796-42A9-B712-FB034687F074.jpeg.aab6a491f7e42aec7590b59a27a1ab29.jpeg

And pictures of the girls when they weren’t staring at the workers through the windows…

201D889E-5886-426B-B4F7-C58DC4CDF9F9.jpeg

BAB44B0D-6B71-4301-B89F-4FC9F48B0976.jpeg

Very cool looking house and kitties.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

We just got a call from my daughter-in-law.  My son is in the hospital to get IV antibiotics.  His leg is infected, he thinks from his excema.  Our family is really tired of one thing after another.

I'm sorry to hear your son is in hospital Marietta.

Sending our best wishes for his recovery.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

We had some interior painting done a couple of months ago…and the job was done so well we’ve hired him to paint the exterior.  Today they removed all the shutters prior to pressure washing.  This will take four weeks or so from start to finish…but the end result should be great!8EE29D02-D796-42A9-B712-FB034687F074.jpeg.aab6a491f7e42aec7590b59a27a1ab29.jpeg

And pictures of the girls when they weren’t staring at the workers through the windows…

201D889E-5886-426B-B4F7-C58DC4CDF9F9.jpeg

LBAB44B0D-6B71-4301-B89F-4FC9F48B0976.jpeg

Your house is very charming and so are your kitties.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, George C said:

I have been wanting to go to the World War Two museum in New Orleans we had dinner with the founders widow many years ago. 

Oh, definitely go there, George!  We spent hours there back in 2012, after our repo from NY to NO, and didn't get to see everything.  We saw the European Theater, but didn't get to the Pacific Theater. We were heading home the next day, or we would've gone back to see more.  The place is huge!! The museum was far from done.  There was a second building that they were working on when we visited.  Veteran's get in free. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I may have told this story already, but I got to touch the Stanley Cup in Fort Erie, ON.  Craig Ramsay had it for a day as an assistant coach the Lightning who won in 2004.  Not sure why he chose Fort Erie.  The Keeper of the Cup was not pleased but I was talking to Ramsay while standing next to the cup and touched it before he could stop me.  I played street hockey with Ramsay (and Don Luce, Ramsay's center on the Sabres checking line) a few times.  Ramsay and Luce were both friends of my neighbor's parents.

That’s so cool. It makes me think that it was the real cup not one of the duplicates that make the rounds. I have read some stories where the cup has some rough times during these 24 hour periods. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Yes.   My Dad was a Carpenter.  He was a Forman at the Construction Company he worked for.  Some of the buildings that he worked on was 2 Broadway,  P.S. 13 on Staten Island, and Kennedy Airport.  He was in great physical shape, never smoked, etc.  He died as a result of a construction accident while working on the 2nd Avenue Subway in NYC.  He fell 25 feet down and was in a Coma for a week before he passed away.  He was 61 years old.  This happened in 1981.

I'm so sorry Maryann.

That must have been distressing for you all.

My late dad worked in a shipyard and fell from scaffolding in a ships engine room and fractured his skull when he was in his early 20s but recovered.

After my mam died my dad went into hospital and he fell in the bathroom during the night  hitting his head on the wall and he died a few hours later.

Graham.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

I'm so sorry Maryann.

My late dad worked in a shipyard and fell from scaffolding in a ships engine room and fractured his skull when he was in his early 20s but recovered.

After my mam died my dad went into hospital and he fell in the bathroom during the night  hitting his head on the wall and he died a few hours later.

Graham.

I too am sorry for what your dad went through also, Graham.  Your poor dad😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

After my mam died my dad went into hospital and he fell in the bathroom during the night  hitting his head on the wall and he died a few hours later. Graham.

12 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I too am sorry for what your dad went through also, Graham.  Your poor dad😢

😢

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

The Sidecar is very good. I'm a big fan. I would substitute the Kraken for only the Mayer's Dark Rum. The other rums are lighter but I do not know the difference between Bacardi and Castillo. The Malibu Rum is not technically a rum but rum based spirit with coconut flavoring.

I don't know why they'd include two different brands of light rum, so I'm guessing the Castillo is either their gold or spiced rum.  Either way, I agree that the Kraken should only be used instead of the Myer's. But it definitely SHOULD be used instead of the Myer's. 

• Like 3

I am happy to report that Owen’s ball game tonight has been cancelled because of the rain we received today. That’s fine with Owen, as well as us, because it has been a long  weekend of baseball. 

Owen played in a tournament about an hour from home, with one game Friday late afternoon and two games Saturday. The first at 8am and the second at 2pm. That being said, they won all three and moved into playoffs on Sunday. The team they though they would meet in the semis, turned out to be who they met in the finals. 

After their semifinal game, which ran an extra inning, they had just an hour to eat and make it to the next Diamond. The final game was not a timed game with no new innings after 1:45 minutes, it was a full 7 innings with only a mercy rule concluding the game early. So who’s pitching would last because of pitching limitations and what team would come out on top?

Owen’s team was the home team.  At the top of the 7th the other team tied it up with a run. Bottom of the 7th it was tied up and we had a runner on second with one out. Well, this is what happened. 

What a weekend. They came back from three deficits, to win those games to be Champs. 

10222460-D1E7-4724-8F11-49CD965E2185.thumb.jpeg.dbae246711014732ead1a69731f6104e.jpeg

Happy Owen.  Happy parents.  It’s amazing Lisa can get these pants to be white again after games. This pair is now garbage after two years, as the hole on the knee is now straight through. She always says, a coach not a mom had to have picked the white pants. 

665388C3-1314-4496-9773-863C195F5194.thumb.jpeg.e49aeb4e72592f2c9dda376d03756755.jpeg

The host town was a rail hub back in the days of steam, so the medal is so suitable.

B3F4EC40-8C6B-4801-B4BC-012A72815805.thumb.jpeg.f94d2853304597fd62909fb84a32913b.jpeg

• Like 25

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I had an interesting cocktail at the post funeral lunch yesterday.  The Sidecar was served in honor of the deceased since it was her favorite. I looked it up and it’s made with Cognac, Grand Marnier or Cointreau, and lemon juice.  Some versions substitute bourbon for the cognac which is how I think the ones yesterday were made.  
Also, the Turtle Krawl is a drink we enjoy whenever we stay at Old Key West in Disney. I’m thinking of making them for Father’s Day and found this copycat recipe.  Would Kracken be a good substitute for one if these rums?

3257D9EF-5AAD-4175-A6FB-5E3BEDEBBE09.jpeg

My thoughts would be to use the Kraken instead of the Myers as they are both dark rums. The Myers might hide the taste of the Kraken but I would defer to @Sea Dog on this matter.

Edit: just read Sea Dog's response. I guessed right!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Oh, definitely go there, George!  We spent hours there back in 2012, after our repo from NY to NO, and didn't get to see everything.  We saw the European Theater, but didn't get to the Pacific Theater. We were heading home the next day, or we would've gone back to see more.  The place is huge!! The museum was far from done.  There was a second building that they were working on when we visited.  Veteran's get in free. 

We definitely need a trip to New Orleans have not been there in decades so many great restaurants also. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm so sorry Maryann.

Graham.

Very sad how you lost your father.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, helen haywood said:

I was surprised how easy it is!  Important to make sure to save pasta water and add as necessary.  You can grate the cheese and mix it with the egg and pepper ahead of time.  It’s quick and delicious.

I just saw auto correct got me again (they changed carbonara to carbonate).    Sorry!

Thank you for this tip.     I have saved the recipe and will definitely be making in the very near future😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, George C said:

We definitely need a trip to New Orleans have not been there in decades so many great restaurants also. 

I have not been to N.O. in year either. But I remember that I had a very good time!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

The Sidecar is very good. I'm a big fan. I would substitute the Kraken for only the Mayer's Dark Rum. The other rums are lighter but I do not know the difference between Bacardi and Castillo. The Malibu Rum is not technically a rum but rum based spirit with coconut flavoring.

Thanks Greg!

15 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I don't know why they'd include two different brands of light rum, so I'm guessing the Castillo is either their gold or spiced rum.  Either way, I agree that the Kraken should only be used instead of the Myer's. But it definitely SHOULD be used instead of the Myer's. 

I googled substitutes for Castillo in case I can’t find it.  Seems it’s made by Bacardi and a suitable replacement would be Bacardi Superior, however the Castillo is easier on the wallet.  

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

My thoughts would be to use the Kraken instead of the Mayers as they are both dark rums. The Mayers might hide the taste of the Kraken but I would defer to @Sea Dog on this matter.

Edit: just read Sea Dog's response. I guessed right!

It looks like you’re all of one mind - I will substitute Kracken for the Myers.  
I knew I’d come to the right place with my question 😉.

By the way, it occurred to me I post a lot of cocktail photos and questions.  In any other group I might feel the need to explain that I’m honestly not a lush. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Owen’s team was the home team.  At the top of the 7th the other team tied it up with a run. Bottom of the 7th it was tied up and we had a runner on second with one out. Well, this is what happened. 

Walk off!  Congrats to Owen.  Behind every good little league baseball/football/soccer/hockey (especially hockey) player is a parent with very good laundry skills.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

We just got a call from my daughter-in-law.  My son is in the hospital to get IV antibiotics.  His leg is infected, he thinks from his excema.  Our family is really tired of one thing after another.

I wish him a quick recovery.    Hopefully this is it for a while!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1