Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Almost there...

20240705_203945.thumb.jpg.f9ce010cf456f54e651628603191725d.jpg

Ate the take out Japanese bento boxes and freshly made Japanese rice balls for dinner on the plane sitting in the tiny airplane seat area.  We bought them this morning from the grocery store in Manhattan. 

20240705_104426.thumb.jpg.e0e4e4be882140bc7d14e63a9ca1bf1a.jpg

20240705_104456.thumb.jpg.d4205963bcea26fdfa6b4489790339a3.jpg

20240705_103857.thumb.jpg.2709954a3f02d11434133681dd3aa91e.jpg

The glamours of vacation travel that never shows up on YouTube...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks is that Navigator too? I will be interested if so on how you liked it. First time for us on that itinerary.

There are others on this thread like Dave who can give you a better assessment. We cruised on Navigator last year and liked the ship . Firstly, we stayed at the DoubleTree which is mediocre. It’s not bad but just okay . Make your shuttle reservation the night before.  Unless, they’ve remodeled the bar will not wow you and the restaurant is tables set around the bar .  The burgers and soda were overpriced because well cruisers are in town .  

I liked Hooked a lot , Taste of Royal and Playmakers . Sorry , I didn’t notice your Tiki bar . I’ll make a point of dropping in to the Bamboo bar this time.

We’ve stayed in Cabo on a land vacation and drove to Todos Santos .  I’m not remembering much except 3/4 of us got sick out of two Drs , one nurse and me . 

Highly recommend staying in Laguna Beach unless it is going to make you anxious about traffic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Now that you and Sharon will be driving to Florida, how many hours  is it from your home?

We are trying to determine if we should go for it.  That is why we are doing the test drives.  We would not even consider it without the van.  

It says driving time to Orlando is near 14 hours. IF we go we would spend 2 or 3 nights on the way and then 2 nights in Orlando so we have a full day of nothing before cruising the next day.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

We have been having a lot of visitors lately. 

image.thumb.png.7327d4d5a735aedd5cfa5c8d26a31de8.png

image.thumb.png.cc8df2ecc40b19710b3b198b50c87644.png

image.thumb.png.ca03ff5419ce311b93e916b71e54b442.png

They have been eating a lot of flowers so we are building a fense.

image.thumb.png.a61ad3fd986dbb6876b13df4968b38e2.png

image.thumb.png.fb4993eaba0b9ed5130b927409b4e2fd.png

They plan to finish it tomorrow.   After it is finished,  Sharon can take the sticks out of the flower bed.

image.thumb.png.faf31ad61c0ac0207c297360e4695f37.png

• Like 24

12 hours ago, mo&fran said:

We have made final payment for 5 cruises on Freedom , starting the end of September , and ending the beginning of November.  That is 35 days, my longest to be on a cruise. My first solo cruise ever. There will be friends on some of the cruises. I may have to start to frequent the lounges, which we didn't before, since Mo didn't like them.

I'm such a baby compared to you guys when it comes to long cruises. Our upcoming Serenade WC sector of 16 days is our longest yet.  Can't wait 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I assume that’s where the internet connection originates (cable connection).  Any other appearance of that cable can be used. 

I've been knocked offline twice tonight. Its only seconds but annoying. Not enough to dislike living here, just annoying to keep being knocked offline, then wait wait wait and it says my connection has been restored. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NHProud said:

It’s raining at Wimbledon ! 

Are you here? Yeap weather's taken us back to autumn. Chilly and rainy again  it's meant to improve from next weekend 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

They plan to finish it tomorrow.   After it is finished,  Sharon can take the sticks out of the flower bed.

How amazing having such wonderful wildlife in your back garden. 

Your garden is also lovely 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I know it’s been said before but i’ll say it again.  Your garden is awesome.  I’m barely able to get cucumbers going lol

This is my raised bed that was a “covid project” early on.  We use it every year now.

IMG_3413.thumb.jpeg.da44bdd7f8a02088ccf15a391b6eed27.jpeg

IMG_3414.thumb.jpeg.6d7d105a8ebbc39138ae901905ab25ba.jpeg

• Like 8

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've been knocked offline twice tonight. Its only seconds but annoying. Not enough to dislike living here, just annoying to keep being knocked offline, then wait wait wait and it says my connection has been restored. 

Can you tell if you are just losing your WiFi connection (bad connection between your device and your router), or are you losing your connection to the Internet (bad connection between your router and the Internet)?  Does it happen to all devices in your place or just your phone/laptop?  Can you plug something like a laptop directly into your router with a cable and see if the problem continues? 

If you have an unstable connection between your router and the Internet, you're Internet provider will likely need to fix the problem.  It could be something on their end.  It's possible that you are sharing a fixed amount of bandwidth with your neighbors and when everyone accesses the Internet at the same time, drops happen.  The Internet provider would need to increase bandwidth to your building.  

If your router stays connected to the Internet but WiFi keeps dropping, then relocating the router might help.  As Biker noted, you may be limited by where the internet cable enters your condo but if you can, put it somewhere central in your condo and up off the ground.  Either way, try rebooting the router by unplugging it, wait about 10 seconds, and plug it back in.  It's possible that a reboot could fix the problem.  The first 2 steps in troubleshooting tech are to reboot and if that doesn't work, reboot again. 😁  If rebooting and relocating the router doesn't help, get your Internet provider in to fix it.  They have tools that they can use to better pinpoint the problem.  It could also be a firmware or configuration issue in the router, especially if it's older.  If you are using a leased router from them, it's their problem to fix.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sgmn said:

I'm such a baby compared to you guys when it comes to long cruises. Our upcoming Serenade WC sector of 16 days is our longest yet.  Can't wait 

My longest are 8 nighters. Maybe longer ones will seem more appealing when I don't have so many obligations at home. However, at this point after a week away I still look forward to getting home and going back to work.

I also don't have a ton of self control while on a cruise. After a week of non typical eating and drinking, as well as not getting to the gym, I just don't feel that good.🤷‍♂️

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Can you tell if you are just losing your WiFi connection (bad connection between your device and your router), or are you losing your connection to the Internet (bad connection between your router and the Internet)?  Does it happen to all devices in your place or just your phone/laptop?  Can you plug something like a laptop directly into your router with a cable and see if the problem continues? 

If you have an unstable connection between your router and the Internet, you're Internet provider will likely need to fix the problem.  It could be something on their end.  It's possible that you are sharing a fixed amount of bandwidth with your neighbors and when everyone accesses the Internet at the same time, drops happen.  The Internet provider would need to increase bandwidth to your building.  

If your router stays connected to the Internet but WiFi keeps dropping, then relocating the router might help.  As Biker noted, you may be limited by where the internet cable enters your condo but if you can, put it somewhere central in your condo and up off the ground.  Either way, try rebooting the router by unplugging it, wait about 10 seconds, and plug it back in.  It's possible that a reboot could fix the problem.  The first 2 steps in troubleshooting tech are to reboot and if that doesn't work, reboot again. 😁  If rebooting and relocating the router doesn't help, get your Internet provider in to fix it.  They have tools that they can use to better pinpoint the problem.  It could also be a firmware or configuration issue in the router, especially if it's older.  If you are using a leased router from them, it's their problem to fix.

The guy who came out looked everywhere for cables for internet and coukdnt find them. He knocked the door off the track to the hot water heater and didnt put it back still leaning against the water heater. He couldnt find any cables inside so he didnt know where they came in.

I dont think I have another device or know how to plug one directly into the router which now is behind a very tall wall unit.

I too suspect too many people on the same bandwidth. And it's off season, if that's it wait for high season its sure to get worse. It's just like 10 seconds or less, but if I dont see the thing pop up you are currently offline and keep going I get wierd results. This is a account thru spectrum bulk account dept. It seems to be very common for condos here to all provide spectrum. My small condo is in a different little city cape Canaveral and it also has a bulk account. If I call I have to call and ask for bulk dept. 10 seconds isnt a big inconvenience but it's annoying.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

My longest are 8 nighters. Maybe longer ones will seem more appealing when I don't have so many obligations at home. However, at this point after a week away I still look forward to getting home and going back to work.

I also don't have a ton of self control while on a cruise. After a week of non typical eating and drinking, as well as not getting to the gym, I just don't feel that good.🤷‍♂️

We did back to back 7 days on costa several decades ago , our Mediterranean was 12 days then add a few days for pre cruise. Of course us with pets don’t want to leave them for any extended time .

• Like 1

Over the July 4th holiday, my DH and I attended the wake and funeral of a dear friend.

She and her husband were dedicated Royal Caribbean cruisers since their first cruise in 1997.

At her wake, there were many photos displayed of them enjoying the cruises, usually with a group of close friends.

At the funeral Mass, the priest noted in his eulogy , her love of travel and cruising and her enjoyment of doing Karaoke on the various ships.

Our friend was full of life-she enjoyed her time spent with her family and friends, encouraging all of us to celebrate small moments and big events.

Unfortunately, she developed pulmonary fibrosis which led to her having a lung transplant almost two years ago.

As with everything in her life, she took on the surgery and recuperation with courage and hope.

She and her DH took a cruise this past April. She did say that some of their activities were scaled down from their usual cruise days, but she enjoyed the time on the ship. I think it was the Anthem of the Seas out of Bayonne. She and her DH booked another cruise for2025 while in the ship.

A few weeks later, she was hospitalized with pneumonia and left us at the end of May.

She left us all with the inspiration to never give up,always have hope and courageously face challenges.

Her lively spirit and love of life touched us all. 
She will be greatly missed, but we know that her pain has been relieved and she is at peace.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I did 2 partial Panama Canal transits on Princess about 10 years ago. One in the spring with DH and another in the fall with DS. The 14 day cruises taught me my breaking point is about 7 days. Even in our motorhome, about 2 months away I'm thinking about home. 

I think it is a control issue plus a little claustrophobia. We started out slowly with cruising (lots of 3 and 4 nighters) because I knew how antsy I get when I go to conferences. I start feeling confined after a couple of days. 

Edited by temple1
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, sgmn said:

Are you here? Yeap weather's taken us back to autumn. Chilly and rainy again  it's meant to improve from next weekend 

I wish I were there . The closest I’ve gotten is a tee shirt a friend gifted to me when she visited. I do have the tradition of serving strawberries and cream on the finals weekend. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Jane, that's the opening of "my" thread... more than 4 years ago ☹️

You are in our thoughts every day Dani.

I hope you stay safe and healthy.

Pauline cut the back garden grass then we went to the cemetery to put fresh flowers on her baby brothers grave and her grandparents graves.

Today is her baby brother's 66th birthday.

He died aged 4 month's.

Afterwards we got some nice snacks and took them to look at the North sea.

I had a steak pasty.

Peach Melba.

White coffee.

Pauline got a beef/vegetable pasty.

Peach Melba 

Hot chocolate.

IMG_20240706_121341.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MJSailors said:

Over the July 4th holiday, my DH and I attended the wake and funeral of a dear friend.

She and her husband were dedicated Royal Caribbean cruisers since their first cruise in 1997.

At her wake, there were many photos displayed of them enjoying the cruises, usually with a group of close friends.

At the funeral Mass, the priest noted in his eulogy , her love of travel and cruising and her enjoyment of doing Karaoke on the various ships.

Our friend was full of life-she enjoyed her time spent with her family and friends, encouraging all of us to celebrate small moments and big events.

Unfortunately, she developed pulmonary fibrosis which led to her having a lung transplant almost two years ago.

As with everything in her life, she took on the surgery and recuperation with courage and hope.

She and her DH took a cruise this past April. She did say that some of their activities were scaled down from their usual cruise days, but she enjoyed the time on the ship. I think it was the Anthem of the Seas out of Bayonne. She and her DH booked another cruise for2025 while in the ship.

A few weeks later, she was hospitalized with pneumonia and left us at the end of May.

She left us all with the inspiration to never give up,always have hope and courageously face challenges.

Her lively spirit and love of life touched us all. 
She will be greatly missed, but we know that her pain has been relieved and she is at peace.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

Please accept our condolences MJ for your dear friend and her family.

She sounds like a true inspirational character.

We took Pauline's late mam on several cruises with us after her dad died and the last one was on her 90th birthday over 12 years ago.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Micheline and I went to the downtown area of our island last night for dinner and some live music.  I stopped in the Pelindaba Lavender store to find out what's going on.  I don't remember who was asking about them, but both the Amelia Island and St. Augustine stores will stay in business.  Because the Pelindaba Lavender Farm DID go out of business, the stores are changing suppliers and will be re-branding, so that "Pelindaba" will not be part of their name going forward. Other than the name change, they don't expect any significant change in products that they carry. I didn't specifically ask, but I would expect that they will have a new website as part of the re-branding.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Micheline and I went to the downtown area of our island last night for dinner and some live music.  I stopped in the Pelindaba Lavender store to find out what's going on.  I don't remember who was asking about them, but both the Amelia Island and St. Augustine stores will stay in business.  Because the Pelindaba Lavender Farm DID go out of business, the stores are changing suppliers and will be re-branding, so that "Pelindaba" will not be part of their name going forward. Other than the name change, they don't expect any significant change in products that they carry. I didn't specifically ask, but I would expect that they will have a new website as part of the re-branding.

I did!

Thank you.

• Like 2

@Sea Dog

Greg, I saw a very nice Christmas movie last night: Operation Christmas Drop. Based on a true story. No tissue box needed😉. I liked it a lot, although I am not a big holiday movie enthusiast. I thought I would mention it here so you can put it on your list of "to watch" or maybe you have already seen it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Same with me but I look at it as I diet and workout so I can go on a cruise and splurge with eat and drink.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

@Sea Dog

Greg, I saw a very nice Christmas movie last night: Operation Christmas Drop. Based on a true story. No tissue box needed😉. I liked it a lot, although I am not a big holiday movie enthusiast. I thought I would mention it here so you can put it on your list of "to watch" or maybe you have already seen it.

I have actually seen it and enjoyed it. The Hallmark channel all this month is rerunning all their Christmas movies for Christmas in July. The other night had one of my all time favorite’s called “Most Wonderful Time of the Year.” It stars Henry Winkler. Brook Burns and Warren Christie. It’s about a snowbound stranger who brightens the holidays for a retired cop (winkler) and his niece and her little boy. It’s a great rom com. Very funny and cute. Check it out if you can.

• Like 3