Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Yes, One to edit videos and add music.  The editor that came with the phone works good but would enjoy being able to choose what music I want to use.

I use LumaFusion it’s very good and does everything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATG said:

I used the Japanese method for some cinnamon rolls, they turned out great.  I like King Arthur’s recipes since they give measurements as weights, that’s much more accurate.

I want to try the cinnamon rolls sometime.  I have gotten the Vietnamese cinnamon to try with them.  I enjoy weighing out ingredients too.  So much easier and consistent.  My favorite pizza dough recipe is by weight.  The King Arthur website also has a weight chart that covers about anything you use.  For the bread I made it was nice to have a weight for fresh basil.  It’s hard to figure a 1/3 cup of fresh basil without weight.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We finished our covid test.    We are both positive that the test results are negative!  We grabbed the bread and are on the road.  We are flying out tomorrow morning at 6am and will spend the night in Miami.

These are some great news. I wish and your families are doing alright. Have a great cruise and make sure to stay safe, avoid massive public places and stuff. In any case, wish you all a great day

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We finished our covid test.    We are both positive that the test results are negative!  We grabbed the bread and are on the road.  We are flying out tomorrow morning at 6am and will spend the night in Miami.

Outstanding!  Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

So we both tried it and the bread taste so good and so soft.  For the first time I tried the tangzhong technique, a Japanese method for increasing the softness and shelf life.  I am going to try it on rolls when I get back.

Here is what it looks like sliced.  

image.thumb.jpeg.1e1309e49d599572184bd989f6625a59.jpeg

That looks wonderful.  Yum!!

• Like 1

Impulse buy of the day.  It is kind of funny how we actually got to this point.  

I started out looking at the TP cruise next October, with a cruise after before flying back. So I was making my list of cruise fares for each leg, and researching airfare costs based on what they are this year.  First I looked at costs from Sydney back to Pittsburgh, then I looked at what it costs to fly to Honolulu now.  

I was shocked at how cheap airfare was from here to Hawaii right now. A flight on SW was just over $200.  So I started down the rabbit hole to see how hotel prices were over there, and they were pretty inexpensive.  

So while I am considering doing a Hawaii trip for next month, I thought I would look at what other flight deals there may be out there.  SW just sent me an email promoting their $99 flights to Fort Lauderdale. So down the second rabbit hole I go to see if there are any cruises that would work with those cheap airfares. 

I saw Odyssey had an 8 night that would fit perfectly.  Before I even finished booking it, Susan had already booked the flights and the hotel for the pre-cruise stay. 

So Odyssey wins out, and we sail in 23 days.  Already checked in and have our boarding times and set sail pass.  Now to get the home test kits ordered and put some OBC on the reservation. 

This one goes to Coco Cay (a first for us because other cruises were canceled-but we will be there twice in January).  Then on to Curaçao (another first) and Aruba (been there before, and will enjoy again). 

It will also be a first for this class ship, since both our Anthem and Ovation cruises were canceled.  

I can’t wait to be back in cruising mode.  I am already printing my packing list. 

• Like 18

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

We were impressed with the Jacksonville Zoo yesterday.  We are used to the Cincinnati Zoo, which is fairly large and is often voted one of the 10 best zoos in the country.  We didn't expect much from the Jacksonville Zoo and were pleasantly surprised.  We got there a little before 10:00am and there was almost no one there.  Eventually, some moms with strollers appeared, with an occasional grandparent.

Micheline loves zoos for both the animals and the plants.  She is very much into landscaping and was able to find a few plants that we didn't have in Ohio.  Even better though, they were setting up for their Halloween Spooktacular.  Micheline is um...and I say this in the most loving way...a Halloween freak.  She was very excited to see some of the Halloween decorations.  I took several pics with my iPhone.  Will definitely need to go back with my big Canon.

Animal pics

APC_1942-hdr.thumb.jpg.be8fc226eb759d2a10f0efd34aff4843.jpg

APC_1957-hdr.thumb.jpg.4b9ad7e022c14bf876e0000ab3d9edfa.jpg

APC_1969-hdr.thumb.jpg.c3eac9c743f8ee0fc857c56e23b3b638.jpg

APC_2002-hdr.thumb.jpg.c13eb204ae88c864a6fca30ef67ba6bf.jpg

APC_2083-hdr.thumb.jpg.7bd130405810bcb3a0d0b6542c0f2a5a.jpg

APC_2098-hdr.thumb.jpg.41b9f52f16c312f6545407919eb51234.jpg

APC_2200-hdr.thumb.jpg.14bfc3f61bc6554c3bbe7c47c33c3d57.jpg

APC_2236-hdr.thumb.jpg.c5e9342347fa4cac463a0fa3f6074111.jpg

Hakuna Matata

APC_2239-hdr.thumb.jpg.77752cf22bcb551d55158cc8a5ec86af.jpg

We got to the Giraffe area when they were hand feeding.  They have 3 "Covid Baby" giraffes who were conceived in Spring 2020 when the zoo was on lockdown and there weren't a lot of zoo staff around.  😉

APC_2140-hdr.thumb.jpg.73fa8d1fedd5e6eb4d29fcce57a4a1d4.jpg

APC_2155-hdr.thumb.jpg.ec9afb4d526bd1f3d56ffdfd22199012.jpg

APC_2179-hdr.thumb.jpg.e577482fd45c29ffcba3e06d2bd4ee0e.jpg

APC_2182-hdr.thumb.jpg.4477751d86cab442df2616bda1c06b03.jpg

Your phone takes such beautiful, clear pictures.  Looks like a great zoo to visit.  Micheline's Birthday dinner looked delicious!

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Have a wonderful time on your cruise!!!!!!  Don't spend all of your onboard credit all in one place!!!!  lol

Enjoy!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I can’t wait to be back in cruising mode.  I am already printing my packing list. 

Wow Mark, you and Susan have everything covered for your last-minute impulse buy!!!  I'm really happy this worked out for you two!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Better than being negative about testing positive. Congratulations I know you will have a fantastic cruise. Keep us up to date on your experiences. Where you staying in Miami?

37 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I saw Odyssey had an 8 night that would fit perfectly.  Before I even finished booking it, Susan had already booked the flights and the hotel for the pre-cruise stay. 

Way to go Mark. Congrats. SW fares are lower we just saved $240 by rebooking our flight down to San Juan. Looking forward to hearing about your cruise on Symphony. We will experience her next September.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

He left that defender for dead on the first cut. Nice hands.

He has never really thrown or caught a ball until tryouts. He has even done some kicking. He hit multiple field goals and even some three pointers at 40 yards. Soccer has paid off. He has even done a few kick offs.

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

TSOTD

26A86635-2B13-44C4-9C10-DDEBEB82F88B.thumb.jpeg.8066c46c1a0c8ccc789ad97913c03c84.jpeg

Because it is the start of hockey season. If any hockey fans have not been there, it is a nice place to visit. 

A spectacular place. A must visit for any hockey fan. 

More later on my impulse purchase of the day. The suspense builds!!!😊

Interesting…. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We had a great birthday dinner last night for Micheline.  The restaurant is called Le Clos.  French provincial.  We started with an order of pate and then shared a Caesar salad.  For our entrees, Micheline had the duck and I had the tuna.  No dessert...we were too full.  Fantastic meal, seated in a covered outdoor garden with perfect weather.

IMG_7786.thumb.jpg.e3014639afac103eebebc9589be70b2b.jpg

IMG_7788.thumb.jpg.916e573941103b9b0b78d721f3c2f122.jpg

IMG_7789.thumb.jpg.b0f7f76f07b586f269ec693112afa730.jpg

The duck is beautiful. Haven’t been to Amelia Island  in a couple of years. 
Looks like it’s time to go!

Edited by jagsfan

19 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

He has never really thrown or caught a ball until tryouts. He has even done some kicking. He hit multiple field goals and even some three pointers at 40 yards. Soccer has paid off. He has even done a few kick offs.

A spectacular place. A must visit for any hockey fan. 

Interesting…. 

Great catch by Owen. Especially as a soccer player where they can't use their hands. He's talented.

2 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Hampton Inn  in the Brickell-Downtown area.  

Thanks looking for somewhere to stay pre cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

The Giant Otters were very active and playful.  I could have watched them for hours.  A member of the zoo staff held a piece of paper against the glass and they all had to come look at what it was.  Very curious.  Hopefully my conversion from an iPhone .mov to an .mp4 will allow the video to work.

APC_1987-hdr.thumb.jpg.34d4c62aada42d28c23bc8048f974d19.jpg

Video worked fine on my iPhone. 
I love otters. I thought I wanted to come back as one till I found out their diet is fish!

Edited by jagsfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

TSOTD

26A86635-2B13-44C4-9C10-DDEBEB82F88B.thumb.jpeg.8066c46c1a0c8ccc789ad97913c03c84.jpeg

Because it is the start of hockey season. If any hockey fans have not been there, it is a nice place to visit. 

More later on my impulse purchase of the day. The suspense builds!!!😊

I got lucky and was able to touch Lord Stanley's Cup once.  After the Tampa Bay Lightning won the cup in 2004, Craig Ramsay, who was an assistant coach, had the cup for a day (as all winning players and coaches now do).  He put it on display in a public ice rink in Fort Erie, Ontario.  Not sure why, but I think he was from that area.  Ramsay played many years for the Buffalo Sabres and was good friends with my neighbors growing up.  I was able to play street hockey with him (and Don Luce...Ramsay's Center for many years on their "hustle" line) a few times and attend a few practices. I remember watching Rick Martin (of French Connection fame) take slap shots before practice from one goal line over the glass on the other end of the rink.  And seeing Jerry "King Kong" Korab in pads and skates.  He seemed HUGE to a kid.

We happened to be staying in a house on Lake Erie when we heard the cup was being displayed a few miles away.  Ramsay was there with the cup and remembered our neighbors and playing street hockey with us.  It was fun talking with him for a few minutes.  Sorry for boring those of you who don't know anything about 1970s hockey.  I haven't thought about those memories in years.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I got lucky and was able to touch Lord Stanley's Cup once.  After the Tampa Bay Lightning won the cup in 2004, Craig Ramsay, who was an assistant coach, had the cup for a day (as all winning players and coaches now do).  He put it on display in a public ice rink in Fort Erie, Ontario.  Not sure why, but I think he was from that area.  Ramsay played many years for the Buffalo Sabres and was good friends with my neighbors growing up.  I was able to play street hockey with him (and Don Luce...Ramsay's Center for many years on their "hustle" line) a few times and attend a few practices. I remember watching Rick Martin (of French Connection fame) take slap shots before practice from one goal line over the glass on the other end of the rink.  And seeing Jerry "King Kong" Korab in pads and skates.  He seemed HUGE to a kid.

We happened to be staying in a house on Lake Erie when we heard the cup was being displayed a few miles away.  Ramsay was there with the cup and remembered our neighbors and playing street hockey with us.  It was fun talking with him for a few minutes.  Sorry for boring those of you who don't know anything about 1970s hockey.  I haven't thought about those memories in years.  

You always post interesting things .Even those of us not into hockey enjoy your post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

The duck is beautiful. Haven’t been to Amelia Island  in a couple of years. 
Looks like it’s time to go!

It's worth the drive just to go to one of several great restaurants.  Italian, French, Spanish, Creole-American, steaks and chops, seafood...I've got great recommendations for any of the above.

• Like 1