Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I went to my local Shoprite for food shopping this morning and they have fresh and frozen turkeys on sale for $0.19 lb and fresh or frozen turkey breasts on sale for $0.39 lb.

For that price I couldn't resist and grabbed 2 turkey breasts for around $3.25 each (little over 8 lbs) and will put in extra freezer in the garage to cook this winter. 

I was amazed how many turkeys they still had.

they also had all kinds of pies on sale for $1.99 each - couldn't resist. 

Off to run the tractor out of gas, remove battery and put in basement on a float charger, winterize the pressure washer and make sure snow blower is all ready to go!     And clean up odds and ends in the garage and put patio furniture furniture into the shed.     Cloudy and chilly but no wind today.

I'm debating on taking off the mower  deck on my tractor and putting on the snow blade. Still going to wait it out though suppose to be in the mid 60's this week. Might need to mow the grass a couple more times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molly361 said:

Thanks for all the well wishes.  It was just Dan and I here, no kids, so I have no family in Florida.  That said, I just purchased a very expensive plane ticket to go to NY to spend Christmas with my family.  Can't remember how many years it has been since I spent a Christmas up there.  

Sounds like a trip well worth it, I'm sure Dan would be happy you are going.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, island lady said:

...now after almost 2 years...I feel like a newbie again!  😮  😉 

That feeling is great. Like a kid on Christmas morning. Once aboard it will be like riding a bike. No matter how long it's been you just pick it up where you left off.

3 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

When we were in vacation earlier this month, both my SIL’s ordered smoked cocktails at the nicer restaurants.  I think the were smoked Old Fashioned’s?  Anyway, I ordered them each a Cocktail Smoker Kit.  I’d like to also give them each a nice bottle of bourbon to go along with it.  I’m looking for recommendations from the bourbon drinkers here - i think @Sea Dog and @bobmacliberty?  Nothing crazy ( that I’d have to go to St Maarten for LOL), just a good quality bourbon, one that might lend itself to a gentle smoke flavor.  

Deb there are so many great bourbons out there and also at many price points that go from affordable to insane. I agree with @bobmacliberty you can't ever go wrong with Woodford Reserve. Some others that would be nice to consider. I am not sure which ones would lend itself to being smoke infused but here some great bourbons that anyone who likes bourbon would enjoy.

Weller Special Reserve

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof

Makers 46

Henry Mckenna 10 year Bottled in Bond

Eagle Rare 10 year (if you can find it)

Jefferson Ocean

4 Roses small batch select

Knob Creek 15

George T Stagg Jr (hard to find)

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Wishing a Happy Hanukkah to all of our dear friends!!

Ditto to that. Let there be light.

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

To all those sailing this weekend, may you have fair winds and following seas. 

This was the sight out my window this morning.  I guess I don’t have to do leaves today!!

3F443046-B454-4642-8FD3-38A72A55D302.thumb.jpeg.3b4b2c49f6348c48c0dff14254f510e9.jpeg

Instead, we are off for a winter hike, and a special program at the mill.  Maybe pictures later. 

Looks beautiful to me. I love snow.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

My go to Bourbon for cocktails is Woodford Reserve.  You should be able to find it just about anywhere and it's reasonably priced.  But I've not used it for a smoked cocktail (I don't have a smoker).  I've only had smoked cocktails in bars/restaurants where they choose the bourbon, and I don't recall what bourbon was used.  I've read that a smoked cocktail should use a higher proof bourbon to stand up to the smoky taste. Woodford Reserve is "only" 90 proof.  Old Forester 100 proof is often mentioned as a good higher proof bourbon for cocktails, but I've not tried it. 

If you want to buy them something that is also good neat or on the rocks (and probably available near you), I really like Old Forester 1910 (93 proof).  Elijah Craig Small Batch (94 proof) is also a good choice for cocktails and can work well on its own.  Same for Buffalo Trace (90 proof), which may be harder to find.  

You can also go into your local liquor store, if they know about bourbons, and ask what you should buy based on what they have in stock.  There are a lot of really good bourbons out there today that don't have as big a name.  A knowledgeable store owner can point you in the right direction.  If you're planning on giving them each a bottle, and depending on how much you want to spend, I'd go with the higher proof Old Forester 100 for the smoked drinks and one of the other lower proof bourbons that I mentioned for either mixed cocktails or neat/rocks.

Totally  agree. My collection grew pretty large thanks to some amazing retirement gifts. One new one of note is went to tasting yesterday of Cedar Ridge out of Iowa. They make a variety of bourbons and ryes including the No. 9 Reserve which is a 60/40 blend of bourbon and rye. WOW!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning everyone!

Back home from the Anthem cruise. Read up on most posts, saw turkey pictures, read of severed fingers, WaWa and all.

Crystal, very sorry about your grandmom. Mimi, so happy to hear you posted on a thread.

Many of you have asked why I felt the crew did not seem happy......I asked myself, could be this specific cruise or maybe not.
Many of them seemed not happy on board, counting the weeks till they can go home, expressing how very stressed they were and needed to relax and destress. They seemed tired and were just going through their daily motions, yelled at by supervisors, and at times I felt some bullying going on by the Indian crew. Not good! I felt very sorry for many of the underlings.

A happy ship has a happy leader and top team. Not here! They really need to bring Captain Sreko Ban back on the Anthem FAST. (Those who know him, will know what I am talking about) or give the Anthem a cheerful booster dose of Captain Kate! LOL😁

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Many of you have asked why I felt the crew did not seem happy......I asked myself, could be this specific cruise or maybe not.
Many of them seemed not happy on board, counting the weeks till they can go home, expressing how very stressed they were and needed to relax and destress. They seemed tired and were just going through their daily motions, yelled at by supervisors, and at times I felt some bullying going on by the Indian crew. Not good! I felt very sorry for many of the underlings.

A happy ship has a happy leader and top team. Not here! They really need to bring Captain Sreko Ban back on the Anthem FAST. (Those who know him, will know what I am talking about) or give the Anthem a cheerful booster dose of Captain Kate! LOL😁

I hope you mention this in your PCS. 

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I went to my local Shoprite for food shopping this morning and they have fresh and frozen turkeys on sale for $0.19 lb and fresh or frozen turkey breasts on sale for $0.39 lb.

For that price I couldn't resist and grabbed 2 turkey breasts for around $3.25 each (little over 8 lbs) and will put in extra freezer in the garage to cook this winter. 

I need to go check what’s out there.  I am already at the end of my leftovers.  I still have some tomatoes left!  Goes great with the turkey.

image.thumb.jpeg.ba15501c4dc2aaa4258236415b30e1a3.jpeg

The above pic doesn’t do the size of the tomato justice so I sliced it up and took another pic.  It’s a Cherokee Purple.  They are so good, taste and big!  This was my first year growing them but will always be in my garden in the future.

image.thumb.jpeg.a31ede373026237d031e9abab9fb355a.jpeg

• Like 10

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Trying to decided on the scenic way, (longer) or the straight shot down the highway.  Hmmm....may be too anxious to do the scenic.  😉 

Just be happy you’re a Floridian. 
If the quick way is a mess, we know how to move over to other roads. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Ships I am considering if we decide not to go on the Jan 9  Anthem cruise. Suggestions please?

Allure 8 N E Caribbean

Odyssey 8 N S Caribbean

Celebrity Equinox 12 N Ultimate Carib

Apex 7 Night E Carib.

I loved the Equinox.  We will be on her sister ship, the Silhouette in February.  I always like the longer cruises the best.  My vote would be the 12 night Equinox

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Ships I am considering if we decide not to go on the Jan 9  Anthem cruise. Suggestions please?

Allure 8 N E Caribbean

Odyssey 8 N S Caribbean

Celebrity Equinox 12 N Ultimate Carib

Apex 7 Night E Carib.

The only reason I would say Allure is because every time I've been aboard I had a great time and I have not experienced the other choices.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Thanks for all the well wishes.  It was just Dan and I here, no kids, so I have no family in Florida.  That said, I just purchased a very expensive plane ticket to go to NY to spend Christmas with my family.  Can't remember how many years it has been since I spent a Christmas up there.  

I wish you a blessed family Christmas. I’m sure there will be tears, but also lots of love and laughter. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I downloaded the Royal Caribbean app this morning. 

How has it been for those who've already cruised and used it?  I read some reviews that said it works great, others that said not so much, and that it was frustrating.  

It works fine on the ship. But on land it is a different story.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The only reason I would say Allure is because every time I've been aboard I had a great time and I have not experienced the other choices.

That was my vote too.

Not been on the O or Apex yet.

Edited by Arzeena

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

TSOTD:

Tonight at sundown begins the 8 day celebration of Hanukah.My daughters bought me a tee shirt only to be worn on the holiday.The writing is in Hebrew and English.I will write the Hebrew words in English and translate.

On the holiday children spin a top called a dreidel.It has 4 sides and there is a Hebrew letter on each side.

On the tee shirt is a picture of a dreidel but with only two letters.

Aleph which is the letter A and Bais which is B,

The shirt reads This Is How I Roll

Happy Hanukah to all who celebrate

Happy Hanukkah to you, and to all of our Jewish friends.
Another year has passed, and still life goes on. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I need to go check what’s out there.  I am already at the end of my leftovers.  I still have some tomatoes left!  Goes great with the turkey.

image.thumb.jpeg.ba15501c4dc2aaa4258236415b30e1a3.jpeg

The above pic doesn’t do the size of the tomato justice so I sliced it up and took another pic.  It’s a Cherokee Purple.  They are so good, taste and big!  This was my first year growing them but will always be in my garden in the future.

image.thumb.jpeg.a31ede373026237d031e9abab9fb355a.jpeg

Gorgeous tomatoes! The kind we used to eat like apples!

• Like 4

@bobmacliberty

Yiu may have already done this, but Nights of Lights is worth a trip to St Augustine this time of year. 
There are tram snd trolley tours, but also a cruise along the waterfront. 
It ends Jan 31, so there are a couple of months to see it. 
It’s pretty special, and the restaurants stay open later than usual. 

6BBFC1CD-7765-4D29-8EA2-E4929079F50C.jpeg

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

CC ate up my write up my 3 posts on WJ, food and shows.

So if anyone has a question, please ask.

I feel your pain. It's been happening a lot lately to me too. Sorry to hear that about the crew. I agree it starts at the top.

• Like 2