Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

5 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

She is exhausted but I'm hoping that by going back to work she gets back into her routine and that should help. The people have been amazing so I felt more comfortable leaving her than I anticipated.

Thank God your daughter is safe, and she and her friends are rallying together with their pets and helping with sleeping quarters.  I can't even imagine how exhausted she is, and on top of it all, the worry of where she will find to live among all of this devastation, while continuing on with her workload.  I am so sorry for your daughter, and for you as her parent.  ((Hugs))

5 hours ago, George C said:

I know is house had insurance, not positive on the cars , one was a older suv with lots of miles, at least there main car a fairly new rav4 was untouched. They had spent a lot of money on backyard and house since they had there daughters wedding on there property earlier this year , it was a fantastic wedding,and her house a mile away was not hurt, other than trees etc.

I wish your brother well, George, with his home.  Thank goodness he has insurance.

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It is very sad but it is also very nice to hear the stories of compassion.   

I have been hearing of people that did not have wind or flood insurance as they couldn't afford it.    I saw an interview with one gentlemen that said as soon as he paid off his mortgage he cancelled his wind/hurricane and flood policies as they cost too much and now that he didn't have a mortgage that required he be covered he had cancelled just a couple months ago.    He is now homeless sitting on a lawn chair where his home used to be in Ft Myers.   Very sad

Yes.. many people can't afford to insure their homes, condos, or apartments.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dani negreanu said:

@Luckynana

Maryann, has the weather improved? Where are you now? 😘

Yes, thank you, Dani.  Lovely day in Portland today.  It looks like it will be nice tomorrow in St. John, Bay of Fundy.  Luckily for us, Boston was the only day of rain for us...we lucked out!😉

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Charlie’s sister has Alzheimer’s.  She is 81 and sleeps a lot of the time. Her husband is 84 and takes such good care of her, don’t know how he does it.  Luckily, she has never tried to leave the house.

I am so sorry to hear this, Marietta.  My mom had dementia, but she knew who everyone was.  She had been in the nursing home for several years due to 2 strokes and her loss of eyesight.😞

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

We are in Portland, Maine today.  Sunny and mild, cool in the shade.  We toured on an antique fire truck today, and enjoyed our lobstuh roll and delicious chowder today.😊

That's great to hear the weather has improved, still crappy cold and rainy here.     Did Hubby enjoy the antique fire trucks?      Lobstuh roll - yummy!    I hope to get one when I go to LBI in near future.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Very scary and very sad this happened.    I hope he did not break any bones or injury himself when he fell.

I am not sure.The wives of two of my friends have Alzheimer’s and they are in nursing homes. Toby and I have been on 10 cruises with a couple that we have known for more than 50 years.Two years ago the husband of the couple was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.This is such a horrible disease.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I heard an interesting news story today.   The Mayor of NY is working out a deal with Norwegian Cruise line to lease one of their ships for at least 6 months to house migrants at dock at Staten Island's homeport.

They are also working out another deal with an Estonian company, Tallink, for a ship to house Ukrainian refugees that fled during their war.    

I found this very interesting and wandering how it would work.    

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am not sure.The wives of two of my friends have Alzheimer’s and they are in nursing homes. Toby and I have been on 10 cruises with a couple that we have known for more than 50 years.Two years ago the husband of the couple was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.This is such a horrible disease.

Paulines late mam died 4 year's ago with Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia aged 96.

She fell when she was 92 and fractured her hip so was almost bedridden for her last 4 years.

Fortunately Pauline's brother lived with his mam and cared for her at home.

Pauline was there around 6 hours a day helping her mam and I did all the shopping, getting her medication etc as well as around 4 hours helping.

3 of Pauline's mams sisters had dementia in their 90s and regularly went out of their houses on their own.

Dementia is a terrible disease and you only realise how bad when it is a family member you are caring for every day.

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I am so sorry to hear this, Marietta.  My mom had dementia, but she knew who everyone was.  She had been in the nursing home for several years due to 2 strokes and her loss of eyesight.😞

I was diagnosed with early dementia when I was 75.I have to keep a notebook with me at all times because I cannot remember phone conversations. I cannot remember my call phone number.and the number of anyone in my family.I have it written down and it my pocket at all times.

Every day I remember less and less.

• Like 9

I (almost) feel guilty posting this, with all of the talk of Ian’s destruction.

I am currently sitting in LAX waiting on my flight to Venice, Italy.  I’m spending five nights there, then boarding Brilliance OTS for Greece, Croatia, Italy and ending with the TA to Tampa.  
Bucket list trip that was moved from 2020 , and again from 2021.

@Sea DogI plan to try most of the cocktails you mentioned in your review. 🍹

Stay well and safe everyone!

• Like 22

17 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

It really is a horrible disease.  It takes its toll on all the family members.  Charlie’s brother-in-law refuses to put her in a nursing home.

Our will not put her husband in a nursing home.They live in NJ and have a daughter living nearby who they rely on.Their other daughter lives in MA.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was diagnosed with early dementia when I was 75.I have to keep a notebook with me at all times because I cannot remember phone conversations. I cannot remember my call phone number.and the number of anyone in my family.I have it written down and it my pocket at all times.

Every day I remember less and less.

Hopefully posting on here keeps your mind active Lenny.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

I (almost) feel guilty posting this, with all of the talk of Ian’s destruction.

I am currently sitting in LAX waiting on my flight to Venice, Italy.  I’m spending five nights there, then boarding Brilliance OTS for Greece, Croatia, Italy and ending with the TA to Tampa.  
Bucket list trip that was moved from 2020 , and again from 2021.

@Sea DogI plan to try most of the cocktails you mentioned in your review. 🍹

Stay well and safe everyone!

Sounds amazing.

Brilliance is a lovely ship and your itinerary is fantastic.

Wishing you a fabulous cruise.

Graham.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I heard an interesting news story today.   The Mayor of NY is working out a deal with Norwegian Cruise line to lease one of their ships for at least 6 months to house migrants at dock at Staten Island's homeport.

They are also working out another deal with an Estonian company, Tallink, for a ship to house Ukrainian refugees that fled during their war.    

I found this very interesting and wandering how it would work.    

I saw a news story about that a couple days ago.

In 2017, FEMA chartered the 1,500 passenger Grand Celebration, owned by the Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line, at a cost of $25,700,000 for 90 days. (That works out to around $286,000 per day.)

In 2005, FEMA chartered three Carnival Cruise Line ships (Ecstasy, Sensation, and Holiday) after Hurricane Katrina for six months at a cost of $192 million, plus an additional $44 million in fuel expenses.

I assume they would looking at much higher costs for the ship in the current environment.  Even using the 2017 figure, if they housed 1,500, that works out to $190/day per person.  That’s like giving them almost $70,000 per person if you consider a year’s cost.  That just seems like an excessive amount to me, and surely they can find something for less. 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Paulines late mam died 4 year's ago with Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia aged 96.

She fell when she was 92 and fractured her hip so was almost bedridden for her last 4 years.

Fortunately Pauline's brother lived with his mam and cared for her at home.

Pauline was there around 6 hours a day helping her mam and I did all the shopping, getting her medication etc as well as around 4 hours helping.

3 of Pauline's mams sisters had dementia in their 90s and regularly went out of their houses on their own.

Dementia is a terrible disease and you only realise how bad when it is a family member you are caring for every day.

Toby and I are dependent on our daughter and her husband who live 5 minutes from us.They shop for us ,yesterday they were here to tie up our deck furniture because it was very windy.My daughter calls every day on her way home from work and usually stops off here .She just called me to see how I am doing .I just told her what I did yesterday but I probably told her the exact same thing yesterday.My daughter who lives in Manhattan but works about 30 minutes from us sleeps over here between 1 and 3 days a week.She will be here later.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Toby and I are dependent on our daughter and her husband who live 5 minutes from us.They shop for us ,yesterday they were here to tie up our deck furniture because it was very windy.My daughter calls every day on her way home from work and usually stops off here .She just called me to see how I am doing .I just told her what I did yesterday but I probably told her the exact same thing yesterday.My daughter who lives in Manhattan but works about 30 minutes from us sleeps over here between 1 and 3 days a week.She will be here later.

Your daughters are very caring loving people Lenny.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hopefully posting on here keeps your mind active Lenny.

Take care.

Graham.

Posting on here helps me a lot.I also do on line word games and send many e-mails.I e-mail with 12 cc people and many people that I went to school with and people that I worked with

It is easier for me to e-mail than call because I cannot hold a phone because my hands shake too much from the Parkinsons .I can use the speaker but sometimes I have trouble because of my hearing limitations.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1