Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I just found what must be a blast email from CC. It says it gas been awhile since I've been here and they miss me.

I got an email from my doctor’s office last week telling me my appointment had been cancelled and I needed to reschedule.  I took advantage of the cancellation and made other plans. As it turned out, somebody goofed and canceled all of the doctor’s appointments for the entire month.  They can’t blame the computer for that one. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I am glad that you shared your news. This thread is not all about happy smiley stuff. Now we can all help you stay positive when you might be feeling a bit down.

@Ozark_Kid John,

After "entertaining" the grandsons [the best remedy when feeling low] 3 days in a row, I just read the sad news.

I'm in awe at the nicest things expressed by so many here.

As usual, when it came to expressing myself in English from the bottom of my heart, I'm at loss of words. There were so many whom I would had like to quote, but didn't want to take so much space.

You and your family were, are and will be in my thoughts 😘 ((((  )))).

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I had my follow-up visit yesterday with my neurologist to review the MRIs taken last week.  I have been diagnosed with having ALS.  It's hard for me to share the news because I like to post things that brings a smile to my friends here on CC.  I know that things will be challenging but for now things are good.  Thanks for all the prayers. 

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

If Jesus didn't hold back when he wept, who are we to ask someone to hold back.  I understand where my SIL was coming from.   My SIL is special. 

I had been praying for you and your MRI test.  I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  I understand that the hardest part is watching your family going through this with you.  You wish to take their pain away.  It is so helpful that your two daughters are OT’s.  They can be of much help in explaining and helping you understand this disease.  You are so blessed to have such a loving and supportive family and Jesus to lean on.  We are here for you, too.  We will laugh with you, cry with you, sit and listen to you.  You and your family will continue to be in my prayers.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

@Ozark_Kid John,

After "entertaining" the grandsons [the best remedy when feeling low] 3 days in a row, I just read the sad news.

As usual, when it came to expressing myself in English from the bottom of my heart, I'm at loss of words. There were so many whom I would had like to quote, but didn't want to take so much space.

You and your family were, are and will be in my thoughts 😘 ((((  )))).

Dani thank you.   Rather we communicate in the same language or not it is hard to find the right words in times like these but rest assured I understand that you have a caring heart which I truly appreciate!  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks for the advice.   I have been for the most part staying away from Google on this ride.  I read bits and pieces when I didn't know terms like motor neuron, etc but quickly end the reading.  It has been harder for my youngest DD because she is an OT at a local nursing home.  My oldest DD is also an OT and has been aggressive in researching and helping out.  She has joined us in our Neurologist visits and takes pages off notes.  Something funny yesterday.   After our appointment we went to our grandson’s soccer game.  As we were leaving my SIL carried our chairs to the car.  He said to Sharon after I got in the car,  I told Sarah not to cry...... then he started crying 😢.   So much for holding back.  Sharon told him it's OK so don't tell Sarah she can't cry.

If Jesus didn't hold back when he wept, who are we to ask someone to hold back.  I understand where my SIL was coming from.   My SIL is special. 

It is very likely that you are aware of the following but just I. Case you are not:The ALS foundation is located in Washington,DC.I believe they have chapters in every US state.I have a cousin living in NYC who has ALS and a friend living in FLA with ALS.I know that they have both received good info from the foundation.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, derorim said:

I got an email from my doctor’s office last week telling me my appointment had been cancelled and I needed to reschedule.  I took advantage of the cancellation and made other plans. As it turned out, somebody goofed and canceled all of the doctor’s appointments for the entire month.  They can’t blame the computer for that one. 

My friend was scheduled for knee replacement surgery last Wednesday.  She got to the hospital at 9am the required time.  They had no record of her having an appointment!  The whole day's appointments were messed up.  They finally discovered that there was an error in the scheduling system.  So, she had to wait in the hospital from 8am until 4 when the surgery was finally scheduled.  

I can't imagine the problems caused by canceling an entire month of appointments.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

We will be together for you to lean on us

Thanks Greg.   When I updated our cruise friends that we cruise with a lot he reached out and said that I could lean on them. I reminded him how bad my balance has gotten and so I may be actually physically leaning on him a lot during the Hawaii cruise.  He said he was good with that.

• Like 19

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

I had my follow-up visit yesterday with my neurologist to review the MRIs taken last week.  I have been diagnosed with having ALS.  It's hard for me to share the news because I like to post things that brings a smile to my friends here on CC.  I know that things will be challenging but for now things are good.  Thanks for all the prayers. 

Oh John, I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  You are fortunate in that you always have a great and positive outlook, and you are Blessed that you are always surrounded by your loving family.  A big plus is that two of your daughters are therapists who accompany you to your doctor visits.  We are all here for you.  You've got this, John!!!🙏💕

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

My friend was scheduled for knee replacement surgery last Wednesday.  She got to the hospital at 9am the required time.  They had no record of her having an appointment!  The whole day's appointments were messed up.  They finally discovered that there was an error in the scheduling system.  So, she had to wait in the hospital from 8am until 4 when the surgery was finally scheduled.  

I can't imagine the problems caused by canceling an entire month of appointments.

Oh no that’s absolutely terrible.

7 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks Greg.   When I updated our cruise friends that we cruise with a lot he reached out and said that I could lean on them. I reminded him how bad my balance has gotten and so I may be actually physically leaning on him a lot during the Hawaii cruise.  He said he was good with that.

You can lean on me anytime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Dani, this thread that you started is so full of love and caring from all around the globe!

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

As usual, when it came to expressing myself in English from the bottom of my heart, I'm at loss of words.

I keep forgetting that English isn't your native language -- you do better at writing than a good percentage of the native-born Americans who post on CC!  

Please don't ever worry that your words are inadequate, because I have NEVER found that to be the case -- you speak (type) from your heart, and that always translates perfectly as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, George C said:

I went to see a doctor recently and doctor told me he wanted to see me in 3 months, when I went to make a the appointment I was told first available was in 5 months . Time to find another doctor.

It was interesting, I had my orientation yesterday for the new ER job, and one of the things the hospital system (which includes affiliated doctor offices in over 100 physical locations in addition to the five hospitals in the system), is focusing on currently is accessibility -- not in the physical sense like wheelchair accessibility, but rather the ability to get an appointment when one is needed.  

They are studying when the "third next available" appointment is for each office, because that more accurately reflects true availability.  If you look at the "next available" appointment, that is often the same day due to a last minute cancellation, rather than actually having openings in the schedule. 

So while there may be an open appointment today or tomorrow from a cancellation, if you need an appointment next week (to get stitches removed, or to evaluate wound healing, or to go over test results, or whatever), you're out of luck because there are no actual openings for the next month (or five!).  So the system is evaluating when the "third next available" appointment is as a metric for how accessible their providers are.  

• Like 8

@Ozark_Kid

So sorry that you got the diagnosis that you got.   Despite my NY Yankee fandom, I'm not going to pull out Lou Gehrig "I'm the luckiest man on the face of Earth" speech. I will say that I admire your positive attitude and am hearten that you are surrounded by a large and loving family and support system. It's fantastic that your daughters are able to help & without a doubt, they will be a huge asset as you head down this road. 

I also get that you are hesitant to share bad news. I think we all are at some point.  I'll echo what others said and share as much or as little as you feel comfortable. Personally, I've found this thread a great escape mechanism when I needed a break from real life.  Hopefully you will too. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

I went to see a doctor recently and doctor told me he wanted to see me in 3 months, when I went to make a the appointment I was told first available was in 5 months . Time to find another doctor.

That is the difference between an employed physician who is run by the office and a physician in private practice who runs the office.... generally speaking. I do know some self employed docs who are obsessed with a packed schedule.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, George C said:

It's cute when the doctor and the scheduling department as not on the same page.  When I go for my annual physical, my family doctor who I've been going to for 25 years will say "See you in 12 months". When I go to schedule my next years appointment, the receptionist tells me he's scheduled 14-15 months out.

Their solution? About 2 months before my annual physical, call to make the following years annual physical appointment. 😒  At least it'll keep me on the every 12 months routine.

• Like 6

@Ozark_Kid

Thank you for sharing your diagnosis. You have shared your family, grandchildren with us and now what you personally are dealing with. 
There are no miracle words of wisdom I can share. I wish there was. 
But only knowing you as a fellow cruiser I know you will celebrate each and every day with your family and also your hobbies. Your gardening is top notch. 
You are in my prayers. 
Take care 

❤️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

John,  I'm sorry to hear this.   Thank you for sharing the news.   We are all here for you.  ❤  I hope there is something that can be done to slow the progression.   Knowing you have such a wonderful supportive family will help.

Just remember someday Kenzie will be driving you🥰

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Thanks,Debbie but it did not go well.The Neurologist now believes that my inability to walk is not due to the Parkinsons but to the Spinal Stenosis.I have had 3 surgeries,8 epidurals,9 acupuncture treatments and have been to 10 physical therapists for spinal stenosis.He said unfortunately there is nothing more that can be done.

My condo complex has a Health Club on the premises.I have not been there in 4 years.I am going to try that again .

Hopefully some exercise and/or an anti inflammatory will help and give you some relief.   Did they suggest a physical therapist that could teach you some exercises that may help?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NHProud said:

@Ozark_KidSending prayers your way.   Keep a positive mindset .  We are your sounding board , here. 

I’m in the hospital waiting room and will be joining my husband in the recovery room after his knee replacement surgery .  Everything went well ! Thank you for your kind words. 

Happy to hear your DHs knee replacement surgery went well.   Hopefully his recovery will be without pain 😃