Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

22 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

She is at RUMC, the former St. Vincent’s.  She has pneumonia and the right lung is worse.  IV fluids and antibiotics. She wanted me there to protect her during bloodwork, broke my heart.  She cheered up when she saw her Auntie so that was good.  Thanks to all of you.

I hope this does the trick. Add my prayers to the homes that have been offered. Sending hugs to you and your family. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

She is at RUMC, the former St. Vincent’s.  She has pneumonia and the right lung is worse.  IV fluids and antibiotics. She wanted me there to protect her during bloodwork, broke my heart.  She cheered up when she saw her Auntie so that was good.  Thanks to all of you.

I’m so sorry your granddaughter and family are going through this. Hoping that with the good care she is receiving she will feel better soon. Hugs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

I'm so glad this was returned.  How did the personnel find it, I wonder??  Curious minds like to know....

Cameras right outside our doors caught the instigator red handed. Security went to their cabin and asked for it back. That is all we know. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

WOW I had no idea these existed until today. I think many of you know before my career as a broadcast news videographer and editor I was a drummer and musician my whole life with a degree in music. I played in some bands after studying at Berkley College of Music in Boston.

One of the bands I played in was a band called Arion. When we were on the road in Oklahoma City our agent booked us to appear on a daily noon entertainment show. We recorded several songs that would be played back every day highlighting our stay at a local restaurant and bar called the Fox and Horn.

Lisa and I both said if you had your moustache we would have recognized you immediately.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 7/31/2024 at 7:51 PM, Luckynana said:

@brillohead  Debbie, I hope all is well, and that you are just super busy.🥰

You're so sweet.... I've been working an inhuman amount of hours lately at the hospital. (For example, my current schedule includes night shifts on July 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, August 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.)

We changed computer programs at the hospital a few weeks ago, and things have been pretty chaotic due to that.  Added to that, our two travel nurses on night shift both had their contracts finish at the same time, and they both took a few weeks off before renewing their contracts with us for another three months, and that all happened at the same time we were changing computer programs.  

This Friday (9th) I'm having a melanoma removed from my shoulder/neck region.  I'm honestly surprised I've made it this far before getting this diagnosis -- I've been expecting it for years and years.  I had a lot of medical neglect in my childhood that included a lot of VERY severe sunburns, and those who have met me in person know that I'm about as white as white can get when it comes to complexions!  I now cover up literally from head to toe in the sun (I swim in a hooded fishing shirt and leggings), but the worst of the damage was done back in the '70s and '80s. 

The initial biopsy came back "melanoma in situ" which means it's limited to the upper layer of the skin (epidermis) and hasn't spread deeper or to other organs.  All that is needed is an office procedure (local anesthetic) to excise (surgically remove) the lesion and a margin of a centimeter on all sides of the lesion -- no need for radiation or chemotherapy.  

Next week I'm taking a day trip to Chicago with my son and his girlfriend to do a couple of museums and just spend some time together.  My son works nights, too, but most of his days off are days that I'm working, and vice versa.  We get together every few weeks for breakfast after one or both of us get off work, but it will be nice to spend a whole with the kids instead of just an hour or so for a meal.  We're going to drive partway there, then take the commuter train the rest of the way so we don't have to deal with traffic or parking in Chicago, which is always a hassle.

I hope everyone is doing well here... I hate that I haven't been able to stay caught up lately!  Now that the dust has (mostly) settled at the hospital, I'm hoping to keep my hours below 48 each week, so I'll have more time for my online life!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

On 7/22/2024 at 9:46 AM, BonTexasNY said:

Thanks! Unfortunately, first cruise is deck 8, 2nd is deck 12.  At least both are near aft elevators.  From what I've read on here we'll get help moving our stuff.  As long as we get a rolling rack so we don't have to fold and repack.

AND speaking of b2b.  What do we do about checking in for the 2nd cruise?  Do we just check in online for the 1st cruise, get our check in time and boarding pass and wait to have 2nd cruise check in once on board?  Another AND.  What about double bottles of wine for both cruises?  

My patient TA knows I'm a question gal. 🙄

@BonTexasNY Bonnie -- I moved this here from the Wonder roll call thread to keep that thread more on-topic....

My recommendation is to go ahead and do the online check-in for both cruises when they become available.  You can pick a late boarding time for the second one (because you won't use it) and you don't have to print the boarding pass, but when changing rooms I *do* print the luggage tags for the second week (to make sure the luggage gets where it's supposed to go!).  

Yes, the purser's office SHOULD recognize that you're a B2B cruiser, but given what we all know about Royal's IT department, I wouldn't want to risk the chance of a glitch.  Being all checked in online in advance means that you already have your credit card info in their system, etc., and it's one less thing you have to worry about on turn around day.  (They will close out the folio on the first cruise and make a new folio for the second cruise, so they need to have your credit card info entered for the second cruise anyway.)

If you don't receive the B2B instructions in your room by Day Five, I would go to Guest Services and ask for the letter.  I would say that about 5-10% of the time I didn't receive the letter and had to go ask for it.  The letter will basically tell you to have your stuff ready to go by 8am on turn around day (do NOT put any luggage out the night before), and to report to <lounge or restaurant or dining room or theater> by a certain time to go through the turn around process.  Bring your passport / proof of citizenship with you, as you will have to clear Customs/Border Patrol as you get off the ship before they let you get back on the ship.

As you are "ding-ed" off the ship, they will probably take your old SeaPass away from you... if you want to keep it for your own records, you'll have to go to Guest Services later that day and ask for it back.  An easier way to deal with that happening is to "lose" your card at some point during the week (at a time when there is no line at Guest Services) and have them print you a new one to use for the rest of the week.  Pack the original "lost" card away in your luggage, as it will have been de-activated and won't work anymore.  Then when they confiscate your card as you're getting off at the end of the first cruise, you don't have to bother going to Guest Services to get it back, b/c you already have an identical card in your luggage!

The evening before turn around day, I like to go to my new room and introduce myself to the room attendant and let them know that I'll be moving in the next day.  I like to move my own luggage so I can get started unpacking right away (if they move your luggage, it might not show up for several hours).  I make arrangements with the new room attendant to put my things in the closet of the new room after the old tenants have checked out -- that way my things are out of the way while they clean the room, and my items are already there when I get back on the ship so I can start unpacking right away.  If you're going to have them move your luggage, I would put luggage tags for the new room on each bag and also with the hanging clothes.  

When you go to check in for turn around day, be prepared to be there for up to two hours.  Bring a book and/or make sure your phone is charged, because you'll just be doing a lot of hurry-up-and-wait once you get there.  You'll be sitting there until every single passenger is off the ship, then they'll parade you off the ship, through CBP, and then back on the ship.  

I hope this was helpful.  Let me know if I can help with any other questions about the B2B process.  Warning, though -- B2Bs are just as addictive as cruising is, so you'll always want to do a B2B going forward!  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@brillohead I had noticed you hadn’t posted in a while, so nice to see an update from you.  Enjoy your museum visits with your son.  I think our sons are similar ages.  Always special to spend time with them.

Mine is a 2000 baby... always easy to know how old he is without having to do any math, especially since he was born in January, so he's always as old as whatever year we're in!  LOL

As he was growing up, I told him that I was his parent, not his friend, and that when he was a grown-up, then we could be friends.... and now we're to that point in our relationship and I'm loving it!

• Like 8

I think my DH has turned into OB (without the medical degree).  We are already booked to spend a night in a lighthouse for our land vacay early next year  and now he wants to book another lighthouse stay at the end of our trip (instead of visiting Melbourne).

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Mine is a 2000 baby... always easy to know how old he is without having to do any math, especially since he was born in January, so he's always as old as whatever year we're in!  LOL

As he was growing up, I told him that I was his parent, not his friend, and that when he was a grown-up, then we could be friends.... and now we're to that point in our relationship and I'm loving it!

Moms and their sons  ❤️.  So nice you are past the hard yards of parenting and now into the just enjoying each others company.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

WOW I had no idea these existed until today. I think many of you know before my career as a broadcast news videographer and editor I was a drummer and musician my whole life with a degree in music. I played in some bands after studying at Berkley College of Music in Boston.

One of the bands I played in was a band called Arion. When we were on the road in Oklahoma City our agent booked us to appear on a daily noon entertainment show. We recorded several songs that would be played back every day highlighting our stay at a local restaurant and bar called the Fox and Horn.

I had no idea till today years later after I quit the band that Roberta our lead singer was able to get a copy of the videotape and eventually transfer it to digital and put it up on You Tube. 

Needless to say this is the only recorded history video wise of my professional playing days in the 1970’s. Boy do I wish they had smart phones back then.

For fun I thought I would post them not to brag, blow my horn or whatever but to show some of the songs that we played and were popular in the 1970’s.

Personnel at that time was: Roberta Holler, Percussion/Vocals; Michael Holler, Guitar/Vocals; Bob Cohen, Keyboards/Vocals; Steve Ogan, Bass/Vocals; Greg Steele, Drums. 

From the way back machine where a youthful Sea Dog with hair and a god awful band outfit was playing the hits.

“Lonesome Loser”

“I will Survive”

“Fire”

“You and I”

“The Gambler”

This is amazing Greg!  You guys had some talent.  You would have made an excellent cruise ship cover band.  Did you play any original songs?

I kept looking for a close-up of you, but you were mostly in wide shots or behind one of the singers.  No love for the drummer!  I finally got a clear screen capture.

image.thumb.png.766a8a2bf614d5c4cb554ae5df741154.png

Some of your facial characteristics are clearly the same BUT I CAN'T GET PAST THE HAIR.  Makes you look so different to me.  Then again, the pictures of me with 70s hair also makes me look completely different from now (with MUCH less hair). 🤣

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Luckynana said:

Thank you for letting me know where to look, Arzeena!  I did see that I am reserved for Hook since I clicked on my initials.🥰

I am really looking forward to seeing you and everyone else who I have been chatting with. You all feel like family. 🥰

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Keksie said:

@Sea Dog wow that is amazing and brings me back to a time long ago.

That’s really why I posted it. I am sure a lot of us remember those songs and time period.

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

This is amazing Greg!  You guys had some talent.  You would have made an excellent cruise ship cover band.  Did you play any original songs?

I kept looking for a close-up of you, but you were mostly in wide shots or behind one of the singers.  No love for the drummer!  I finally got a clear screen capture.

image.thumb.png.766a8a2bf614d5c4cb554ae5df741154.png

Some of your facial characteristics are clearly the same BUT I CAN'T GET PAST THE HAIR.  Makes you look so different to me.  Then again, the pictures of me with 70s hair also makes me look completely different from now (with MUCH less hair). 🤣

Thanks for the screenshot. My only complaint from my wife and I agree with her is that I look way too serious and look like I am not having fun. Years later I was better at looking like I was having fun. At the time I was pretty serious about my craft and was always concentrating hard on proper technique and tempo.

We did a few original songs but did not play them for the television taping.

Ahhh the good ole days when I had hair!!!

• Like 16

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I had no idea till today years later after I quit the band that Roberta our lead singer was able to get a copy of the videotape and eventually transfer it to digital and put it up on You Tube. 

Needless to say this is the only recorded history video wise of my professional playing days in the 1970’s. Boy do I wish they had smart phones back then.

For fun I thought I would post them not to brag, blow my horn or whatever but to show some of the songs that we played and were popular in the 1970’s.

Personnel at that time was: Roberta Holler, Percussion/Vocals; Michael Holler, Guitar/Vocals; Bob Cohen, Keyboards/Vocals; Steve Ogan, Bass/Vocals; Greg Steele, Drums. 

From the way back machine where a youthful Sea Dog with hair and a god awful band outfit was playing the hits.

“Lonesome Loser”

“I will Survive”

“Fire”

“You and I”

“The Gambler”

Double WOW.  My favorite was the last Kenny Rogers song. Such talented musicians, especially the drummer who looked like he needed a haircut! 🤣

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

@BonTexasNY Bonnie -- I moved this here from the Wonder roll call thread to keep that thread more on-topic....

My recommendation is to go ahead and do the online check-in for both cruises when they become available.  You can pick a late boarding time for the second one (because you won't use it) and you don't have to print the boarding pass, but when changing rooms I *do* print the luggage tags for the second week (to make sure the luggage gets where it's supposed to go!).  

Yes, the purser's office SHOULD recognize that you're a B2B cruiser, but given what we all know about Royal's IT department, I wouldn't want to risk the chance of a glitch.  Being all checked in online in advance means that you already have your credit card info in their system, etc., and it's one less thing you have to worry about on turn around day.  (They will close out the folio on the first cruise and make a new folio for the second cruise, so they need to have your credit card info entered for the second cruise anyway.)

If you don't receive the B2B instructions in your room by Day Five, I would go to Guest Services and ask for the letter.  I would say that about 5-10% of the time I didn't receive the letter and had to go ask for it.  The letter will basically tell you to have your stuff ready to go by 8am on turn around day (do NOT put any luggage out the night before), and to report to <lounge or restaurant or dining room or theater> by a certain time to go through the turn around process.  Bring your passport / proof of citizenship with you, as you will have to clear Customs/Border Patrol as you get off the ship before they let you get back on the ship.

As you are "ding-ed" off the ship, they will probably take your old SeaPass away from you... if you want to keep it for your own records, you'll have to go to Guest Services later that day and ask for it back.  An easier way to deal with that happening is to "lose" your card at some point during the week (at a time when there is no line at Guest Services) and have them print you a new one to use for the rest of the week.  Pack the original "lost" card away in your luggage, as it will have been de-activated and won't work anymore.  Then when they confiscate your card as you're getting off at the end of the first cruise, you don't have to bother going to Guest Services to get it back, b/c you already have an identical card in your luggage!

The evening before turn around day, I like to go to my new room and introduce myself to the room attendant and let them know that I'll be moving in the next day.  I like to move my own luggage so I can get started unpacking right away (if they move your luggage, it might not show up for several hours).  I make arrangements with the new room attendant to put my things in the closet of the new room after the old tenants have checked out -- that way my things are out of the way while they clean the room, and my items are already there when I get back on the ship so I can start unpacking right away.  If you're going to have them move your luggage, I would put luggage tags for the new room on each bag and also with the hanging clothes.  

When you go to check in for turn around day, be prepared to be there for up to two hours.  Bring a book and/or make sure your phone is charged, because you'll just be doing a lot of hurry-up-and-wait once you get there.  You'll be sitting there until every single passenger is off the ship, then they'll parade you off the ship, through CBP, and then back on the ship.  

I hope this was helpful.  Let me know if I can help with any other questions about the B2B process.  Warning, though -- B2Bs are just as addictive as cruising is, so you'll always want to do a B2B going forward!  

Debbi thank you so much for the info and I am so glad you were able to pop in and update us on your busy life. Stick around, please.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1