NCL age 70 policy??

Lorey2007

On the RCL boards there is a thread about their age 70 policy. It requires passengers 70 and up to provide a Dr's signature on a form that they are free of certain health issues and fit to travel.  Has anyone heard NCL is requiring this?

12 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Yes, just before they shut down the first cruises NCL had this listed and a link to a form.  

Anybody have a heads up to that link? 

We have a April 2021 cruise booked and DH has some health issues that are under control with life style changes.  We booked the cruise sometime ago and now wonder if it is too late to get "cancel for any reason" insurance if that even is a option.

• Like 1

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this requirement.  There will inevitably be a new set of guidelines when the lines start up again.   Besides that I doubt any doctors will sign a form like that due to liabilities.   

• Like 2

Once cruising begins again there is going to be a long list of new requirements.  Besides the doctor's note for 70+ year olds its possible they will be taking forehead temperatures prior to boarding and buffet days are gone.  They will have staff serve you at the buffet.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this requirement.  There will inevitably be a new set of guidelines when the lines start up again.   Besides that I doubt any doctors will sign a form like that due to liabilities.   

If it's a requirement & the Dr won't sign you can't get on the ship.☹

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Once cruising begins again there is going to be a long list of new requirements.  Besides the doctor's note for 70+ year olds its possible they will be taking forehead temperatures prior to boarding and buffet days are gone.  They will have staff serve you at the buffet.

I think being served at the buffet is a good idea.  Just don't trust other people's health habits.  I will never forget seeing some guy probably about 80 come out of the stall and just leave the restroom without washing his hands.  Then I see him at O'Sheehans eating chicken wings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

its possible they will be taking forehead temperatures prior to boarding

They did this on my March 8th Bliss cruise.  It didn't help.  I contracted Covid-19 anyway.  Btw, I NEVER had a fever.  Or a dry cough.  Or a sore throat.

Not enough is known about this disease yet to develop any EFFECTIVE pre-boarding safety measures.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

If it's a requirement & the Dr won't sign you can't get on the ship.☹

This is the reason I cancelled my MAR. 29TH cruise; not b/c I'm unhealthy but b/c there's was no way I'd throw my DR under the bus if I became ill on a cruise.  And yes, if your Dr. won't sign that you are healthy to cruise, you will be denied boarding. 

Obviously, since all cruises were cancelled, it never became an issue, however, I still won't even ask my Dr to sign that I'm healthy to cruise b/c I'd fear what the lawyers would do if I became ill.  

I'll wait until they offer a vaccine b4 I cruise. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vince_g said:

I think being served at the buffet is a good idea.  Just don't trust other people's health habits.  I will never forget seeing some guy probably about 80 come out of the stall and just leave the restroom without washing his hands.  Then I see him at O'Sheehans eating chicken wings.

Couldn't resist this one - "Finger licking good" ! EWW ECK !!!

What else did he touch with those fingers - salt/pepper shaker ? silverware wrapped in napkin ?

that fancy wire basket the wings (and have to have fries with that of course) ? menu ? water beverage glasses refilled ?

and that all important sail and sign room key card handled by the waiters bar tenders ?

As for being waiter served at a Buffet that sort of negates the whole idea of self service.

If that is the case dining in the MDR will become the regime.

I am sure that others prefer to choose the food items that they want to eat and the amount.

Put up the sneeze shields and provide long utensils to select the food from a (safe) distance.

While the restroom police can't monitor the hand washing issue*** - the washy washy attendants

can be more obnoxious and pushy pushy maintaining the public health interests.

*** automatic doors (air or otherwise) entering and leaving the rest room would be help here

removing the hands from opening and closing the doors.

A bit of trivia do you know why there is a trash can near the exit door of the rest room ?

The reason is after you have washed your hands and using the paper towels use the towel

to touch and open the door and promptly leaving the restroom dump the wet towel in the trash.

Those fancy air dryers I don't believe so much of them spreading questionable airborne wet residue.

Voila no touché the door leaving eliminating the possible contact with others unwashed hands !

But who am I to judge about others hygiene health habits - some people could eat dirt and are

immune to anything and then there are those who see a fly in the MDR and it is instantaneous death

on a cruise ship author unknown !  LOL ! well maybe not so much LOL.

That 6 foot/2 meter spacing is perhaps not so bad an idea to keep in place after all this ! 

Now cleanse your minds - food for thought - keep it clean !

9 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

They did this on my March 8th Bliss cruise.  It didn't help.  I contracted Covid-19 anyway.  Btw, I NEVER had a fever.  Or a dry cough.  Or a sore throat.

Not enough is known about this disease yet to develop any EFFECTIVE pre-boarding safety measures.

You contacted it on the Bliss?  I was not aware of NCL cases on ships.  I was paraphrasing an article that came out that listed "possible" changes to cruises when they start up again.

11 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

On the RCL boards there is a thread about their age 70 policy. It requires passengers 70 and up to provide a Dr's signature on a form that they are free of certain health issues and fit to travel.  Has anyone heard NCL is requiring this?

Yes. And the problem I have with it is that NCL does not have an appropriate form available on their web site.

So, if you get something from your physician that doesn't meet their standards you may find yourself standing and watching your cruise leave without you.

If you require a form, you should provide one.

I, also, would seriously reconsider cruising (after 20-some cruises over the last 23 years) if I had to put my doctor in the position of signing such a statement.  Requiring such a vaguely worded blanket statement from a doctor seems inappropriate and wouldn't prevent an outbreak or guarantee that everyone would recover uneventfully it if it did spread throughout the ship.

I don't know if my doctor would or wouldn't sign such a document, but I wouldn't even want to ask.  And I would rather find a different type of vacation than a new doctor.  

If an effective vaccine becomes widely available, I could live with a requirement of proving that I had gotten the vaccine.   That would be an objective fact, rather than a doctor's opinion of a person's state of heath as it relates to taking a cruise.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, halberd7 said:

I think this is NCL's doctor form.

NCL Doctor Form.pdf 935.02 kB · 4 downloads

Yes, this is the form I was told needed to be filled out and signed. 

I do wonder what a lawyer would say regarding this form.  Not sure, but think it's likely they'd tell a dr to run not walk away from signing this form.  Any guesses?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

If this is still in effect before final payment for our April 2021 cruise it looks like our cruising days are over. I won't jump through hoops to go on vacation. 

Agreed. If NCL starts putting too many restrictions, it will negate the joy of cruising. If they want assurance about the virus, then they should test everyone before boarding.

• Like 2

To assert that you meet all the conditions of that form, a doctor would have to give you a complete medical evaluation/physical exam, including blood work and a chest xray.  That's BS.    No doctor is going to look at you and say yea, you're good to go.  And the logistics of getting an appointment within a 7 day timeframe, again BS.  And.....if the doctor is unsure as to whether he/she wants to sign it without further tests, you lose your cruise.  Definitely need "any reason to cancel" insurance.     And to add, the age 70 cutoff point is again total BS.  Walk into any WalMart (back when you do that) and you will see half the customers, well under age 70, looking like they are ready for hospitalization at any time.   My opinion, if this finally ends and cruising resumes,  that form will never fly.   

Edited by roger001
  • Like 3

Thanks for the link to this form. I had tried to find it last night without success. I'm going to ask my doctor if he would sign this form well before our final payment date. If he refuses, I will cancel the cruise with this being the stated reason. For the record, I'm in good health, at least as I type this. 

Joanne G, I so agree with you that such a form will not prevent much of what we saw spread through cruise ships the past month. 

4 hours ago, david_sobe said:

You contacted it on the Bliss?  I was not aware of NCL cases on ships.  I was paraphrasing an article that came out that listed "possible" changes to cruises when they start up again.

I did a screen shot of all effected ships. Bliss was listed as March 1- March 8th cruise and March 8-March 15th cruise. 

This was a list put out by CDC.

Edited by cruisinmeme
Added to comment
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

Agreed. If NCL starts putting too many restrictions, it will negate the joy of cruising. If they want assurance about the virus, then they should test everyone before boarding.

When/If cruising ever starts up again there will be some way needed to screen all passengers and/or when a vaccine comes along that all passengers have gotten it.....don't wish to get it? You will not be allowed to go. The entire "Over 70 doctors form" was a desperate attempt to show they were trying to be responsible right before everything was totally shut down. Whatever new testing methods they may wish to use along with any requirements for vaccinations (when they become available) will not be age dependant.