Now for something completely different

1 minute ago, By The Bay said:

Lyle, is it a National Public Holiday? If so what happens?

It is a National Public Holiday and normally there would be big things all across the country.

In Ottawa our Nation's Capital there would normally be a huge outdoor concert in front of The Parliament buildings which is free to attend. That concert always has the biggest names in Canadian music performing. 

Here in Victoria we are the Capital City of British Columbia and normally there would be a big concert in front of the Legislature Buildings with not quite as big names as Ottawa. We would also do a living flag. People sign up and get red or white T shirts and stand together is directed then a helicopter flies over and gets the aerial shot of what is a mass of people making our flag,

There would also be a fireworks show. Lot's of people host friends for their annual Canada Day BBQ, some of those may happen.

The big public events were cancelled months ago.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

In Canada we have the Nanaimo Bar which is very well known even outside of Canada (at least we like to think so) but there are variations on that and many claim to be "the Original" Nanaimo is located about 1 1/2 hours north of Victoria on Vancouver Island. We have a local bakery here that created the "Langford" bar. Nanaimo bar has a chocolate and coconut crust on the botton with a firm custard like center and like a chocolate gnash on top. The Langford bar has a vanilla type crust with raspberry filling and a pink icing top

I hadn't heard of them, so went and looked at so images. Many different types. They look yummy.

Nanaimo Bar, Recipe | Nanaimo Barsimage.jpeg.845c36b9244a47d5b352c3ad15a89a1b.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, By The Bay said:

I hadn't heard of them, so went and looked at so images. Many different types. They look yummy.

Nanaimo Bar, Recipe | Nanaimo Barsimage.jpeg.845c36b9244a47d5b352c3ad15a89a1b.jpeg

They are but quite sweet and definitely well known in Western Canada if not nation wide.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

It is a National Public Holiday and normally there would be big things all across the country.

In Ottawa our Nation's Capital there would normally be a huge outdoor concert in front of The Parliament buildings which is free to attend. That concert always has the biggest names in Canadian music performing. 

Here in Victoria we are the Capital City of British Columbia and normally there would be a big concert in front of the Legislature Buildings with not quite as big names as Ottawa. We would also do a living flag. People sign up and get red or white T shirts and stand together is directed then a helicopter flies over and gets the aerial shot of what is a mass of people making our flag,

There would also be a fireworks show. Lot's of people host friends for their annual Canada Day BBQ, some of those may happen.

The big public events were cancelled months ago.

Thanks Lyle. I found this image that says it is in Victoria BC last year. Where are you?

Coast Capital Savings Living Flag — CANADA DAY VICTORIA

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Thanks Lyle. I found this image that says it is in Victoria BC last year. Where are you?

Coast Capital Savings Living Flag — CANADA DAY VICTORIA

I was nowhere near there, I was about 20 km away enjoying a very nice 10 oz Rib Eye with baby roasted potatoes and carrots

Edited by Blackduck59

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Or even yellow.

I don't think I have ever seen a vanilla slice with yellow icing Mr GUT. Is it just colouring or a lemon flavour?

Leigh

Just now, possum52 said:

I don't think I have ever seen a vanilla slice with yellow icing Mr GUT. Is it just colouring or a lemon flavour?

Leigh

Just colouring, really is should be pink with 100s and 1000s, that’s how they was when I was a little nipper and things shouldn’t change. So there.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Just colouring, really is should be pink with 100s and 1000s, that’s how they was when I was a little nipper and things shouldn’t change. So there.

you people sure do strange things in NSW.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I've seen them with a yellow, passionfruit.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I've seen them with a yellow, passionfruit.

That's always been the NSW way of Vanilla Slice topping, yellow colour and passionfruit.

• Like 1

One thing that does not seem to have changed over the years is the Neenish tart for which I have a weakness. I rarely have them nowadays due to reducing my sugar intake but every now and then I cave in. It's the same with cream horns and cream buns. ☹️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

One thing that does not seem to have changed over the years is the Neenish tart for which I have a weakness. I rarely have them nowadays due to reducing my sugar intake but every now and then I cave in. It's the same with cream horns and cream buns. ☹️

1957242143_applepie.jpg.43a8b29b118de7363e68d73711d8e781.jpg Apple pies and Apple Turnovers with cream were my weakness, still are if I can find the gf version.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Chocolate eclairs are my weakness but they must have real chocolate on top, not chocolate icing.

Now you are talking ye olde Chocolate Eclairs.  Oozing chocolate and cream these ones.

th (3).jpg

Edited by NSWP

Do you guys have the same problem with pastries that we do? You go to a pastry shop and everything looks all yummy. You make your selection and then you take this amazing looking delight and nothing, literally tasteless. 

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Do you guys have the same problem with pastries that we do? You go to a pastry shop and everything looks all yummy. You make your selection and then you take this amazing looking delight and nothing, literally tasteless. 

Not often.

Leigh

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Only on cruise ships!

Pastry shops like that don't last long here these days. There's too much competition.

When you visit Sydney try this one http://www.koidessertbar.com.au

In Melbourne try this one https://www.burchandpurchese.com

I've had cakes from both of these places and they are to die for. They aren't your average pastry shops, they are in a class of their own. Unfortunately they are expensive so not every day treats.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Thanks 1