Now for something completely different

So now they are talking about a Barramundi fish farm, I find this interesting. Is fish farming as contentious there as it is here? Of course they are farming a native species, here they farm Atlantic Salmon which pose a threat to our native wild salmon species.

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

So now they are talking about a Barramundi fish farm, I find this interesting. Is fish farming as contentious there as it is here? Of course they are farming a native species, here they farm Atlantic Salmon which pose a threat to our native wild salmon species.

Trouble with fish farms it’s a intensive farm ,just like a piggery, chicken Or a feed lot on land.

• Like 1

this barramundi farm is located in the Kimberly and apparently the tides really keep the water moving. I really don't know the intricacies. For us her I don't really understand why they are farming Atlantic salmon in the pacific ocean. We never buy farmed salmon.

6 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Trouble with fish farms it’s a intensive farm ,just like a piggery, chicken Or a feed lot on land.

IMHO, it is a better option than depleting the wild fish populations.

Edited by By The Bay

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

this barramundi farm is located in the Kimberly and apparently the tides really keep the water moving. I really don't know the intricacies. For us her I don't really understand why they are farming Atlantic salmon in the pacific ocean. We never buy farmed salmon.

That is all that is on offer here in Queensland.  

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

The salmon farms in Tassie are controversial😳. They say it is destroying the water quality and killing the sea grass that our native area life depend on, not to mention the bacteria and parasites that jump to our native fish😕. The Barramundi farms are controversial in another way in that they say wild stock numbers are fine but because farmed fish is so much cheaper they find it hard to compete so many are leaving the industry🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Aussie Barrumundi is $60 a kilo here, the local restaurants here buy their barra product of Vietnam from Aldi or Woolies, frozen, for $25 a kilo, I kid you not.

My local fish shop does wild Barra for between $38-45 dollars a kg. Aussie farmed Barra is $27-34.

8 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

My local fish shop does wild Barra for between $38-45 dollars a kg. Aussie farmed Barra is $27-34.

I wouldn't buy farmed Barra when I can buy wild Barra for those prices.  I have been buying less salmon and more local whiting fillets from the Sunshine Coast.  

59 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I wouldn't buy farmed Barra when I can buy wild Barra for those prices.  I have been buying less salmon and more local whiting fillets from the Sunshine Coast.  

Whiting are my favourite - after flathead.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Whiting are my favourite - after flathead.

Try the Birds Eye frozen "Deli" Lightly Battered Whiting Fillets from Coles or Woolies, only 5 in a pack but absolutely delicious when oven baked.

Edited by Russell21

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I have been getting sardines, great on toast with a bit of Tomato sauce.

My fish shop has fresh sardines too for about $10-12 a kilo though you have to prep them yourself😳 but once you go fresh it is hard to go back 😂

30 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

My fish shop has fresh sardines too for about $10-12 a kilo though you have to prep them yourself😳 but once you go fresh it is hard to go back 😂

The Urangan Fish Shop at Hervey Bay had fresh sardines, but I didn't know what to do with them, so I only bought whiting fillets as well as medium raw prawns ($18 kilo) and sand crabs. 

55 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Try the Birds Eye frozen "Deli" Lightly Battered Whiting Fillets from Coles or Woolies, only 5 in a pack but absolutely delicious when oven baked.

As I buy whiting fillets by 500g, five wouldn't be enough for me, esp if they were delicious.  

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I have been getting sardines, great on toast with a bit of Tomato sauce.

Around here that would be bait Mic. Anchovies and herring are popular too, I tend to stay away from the bait fish, my parents both enjoyed sardines, I could never get past the smell.

26 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Around here that would be bait Mic. Anchovies and herring are popular too, I tend to stay away from the bait fish, my parents both enjoyed sardines, I could never get past the smell.

of the sardines or your parents (breath) after they ate them? 😛

• Haha 1

you're funny Mic. I'm not a real fan of canned fish, I do like canned tuna though.

We have a small run cannery that does a canned smoked salmon that I like, unfortunately the last can I bought ($5.50 for a small can) was full of skin and bones. I like fish we usually have salmon, mostly Coho and Sockeye, sometimes we will have Chinook. There are 2 fresh water fish I like Northern Pike (known as jackfish around where my extended family are from.)  and my uncle used to call the other ones Pickerel but they are also known as Walleye Pike. We are looking forward to finding out what the fish is like down under.

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

The Urangan Fish Shop at Hervey Bay had fresh sardines, but I didn't know what to do with them

I usually just pan fry them with some butter or olive oil, a bit of garlic is nice too and sometimes I'll put in some parsley and/or dill. A bit of lemon is nice too.