Plans for Third Sydney Cruise Ship Terminal Delayed 18 Months

49 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Until all the people who bought cheap land near the new airport to build their mansions decide they don't like all the noise overhead early morning and late at night and demand a curfew on arrivals and departures. 🙄

Yep, that land out Badgerys Creek way has been zoned for an airport for 50 years.  There were demonstrations out there 30 or 40 years ago, people still purchased land around that area and built da bigga houses.  As you say, suck it up.

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't think Mascot will become redundant. The whole point of two airports is to increase the overall planes arriving and departing Sydney. It would defeat the purpose if you closed one airport. 

Agree, Mascot will continue, Badgerys Creek is to take the additional flights.  Many major cities in the world have 2 or 3 major international airports.

I remember working at the 3rd runway demos at Mascot in the mid-late 90's. They were nasty.

Edited by NSWP

19 hours ago, gbenjo said:

I will have to  send a PITA  alert to my colleagues in Brisbane.

Raises two questions…

You have friends???

And

Why are you heading to Brisbane.

More seriously The beautiful Mrs G and I were just saying last night we hope your dear wife hasn’t packed up and left with you being home all the time.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Raises two questions…

You have friends???

And

Why are you heading to Brisbane.

More seriously The beautiful Mrs G and I were just saying last night we hope your dear wife hasn’t packed up and left with you being home all the time.

Just on a technicality…..colleagues are not necessarily friends

I am not going to Brisbane ..but you said you were….do you ever wonder why you dont win a lot of your court cases ????🤔🤔

No Christine has not left yet……..then again she has does have an incredible tolerance for pain.  😂 …….Thank goodness for the Olympics 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gbenjo said:

Just on a technicality…..colleagues are not necessarily friends

I am not going to Brisbane ..but you said you were….do you ever wonder why you dont win a lot of your court cases ????🤔🤔

No Christine has not left yet……..then again she has does have an incredible tolerance for pain.  😂 …….Thank goodness for the Olympics 

Every time my SWMBO has said recently that she's had enough I tell her that I have just ordered another 3 cases of Shiraz, works every time. 🙂

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

After some research this wharf is called Garden island east dock.

There was a smaller wharf there called the oilers wharf and it was demolished to build this larger wharf.

In the original plans submitted   ,it was proposed to have a commercial revenue capacity.

But from what I can find department of Defence hasn’t got any plans to allow cruise ships to use it.

09C08753-32C2-47FA-A479-288C17C52840.thumb.jpeg.a84e1e3439714b39c3faabe0514e05bc.jpeg

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wonder why they called it Garden Island East Dock when it's on the western side of Garden Island! Makes you wonder about the intelligence of the Department of Defence doesn't it? 🤣

The area under redevelopment is happening on the Eastern side of GI. The dry dock splits Garden Island into Western and Eastern sides.

15 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The area under redevelopment is happening on the Eastern side of GI. The dry dock splits Garden Island into Western and Eastern sides.

More like Northern and Southern I would have thought. What happens if they decide to redevelop the other side of the so-called Eastern side. Will that become the Garden Island Real East Side dock? 🤣

• 2 months later...

I guess I'm still at a lost why Australia's biggest naval base HAS to sit right in the middle of Sydney Harbour, as if that location is geographically relevant to any future threat that we could be facing in the coming decades. Its frustrating that its not even up for discussion. 

Garden Island could have the potential to completely re-imagine that section of Sydney's harbour front, and if re-designed correctly could provide an abundance of new public space, amenities and of course a much needed third cruise terminal. Maybe in 20 years time the then Minister for Defence and the Royal Australian Navy will be ready to have those kinds of conversations. 

1 hour ago, CroNich said:

I guess I'm still at a lost why Australia's biggest naval base HAS to sit right in the middle of Sydney Harbour, as if that location is geographically relevant to any future threat that we could be facing in the coming decades. Its frustrating that its not even up for discussion. 

Garden Island could have the potential to completely re-imagine that section of Sydney's harbour front, and if re-designed correctly could provide an abundance of new public space, amenities and of course a much needed third cruise terminal. Maybe in 20 years time the then Minister for Defence and the Royal Australian Navy will be ready to have those kinds of conversations. 

I think garden island would be the best for a cruise terminal.Access would be difficult though.

I think as a naval base it’s got a lot of maintenance companies and skills to call on .

But you think they could get that in Newcastle or port botany.

Apparently our new premier is pretty determined,I wonder if he could cancel the lease on safety grounds or something.It is a target in the middle of Australia’s largest city.

2 hours ago, CroNich said:

What Developer would want a Navy Base. Just think of the cost of hazardous waste remediation. We have a Navy Base here, prime waterfront property, chance of the RCN moving? Zero.

27 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

What Developer would want a Navy Base. Just think of the cost of hazardous waste remediation. We have a Navy Base here, prime waterfront property, chance of the RCN moving? Zero.

It’s got the best address in Australia Lyle.