More cancelled cruises in North America

John99

More cancelled cruises in North America

Per various news wire services 4/13/20 am  Dow Jones & others -- Carnival said it is cancelling sailings on the Carnival Sunrise out of New York through the end of 2020 and has extended the suspension for all North American itineraries through June 26.  These are of various lengths – 2-5, 6-9, 10+ days.

With CCL being the parent company – what Princess cruises will be in jeopardy if any: Canada New England, Caribbean Islander, Fire & Ice Explorer, British Isles & Northern Europe Passage, Greenland & Canada, British Isles & Norway Passage, ???

• Thanks 1

Princess is going to make an announcement tomorrow because of CDC saying over the weekend about another 100 days. 

Princess came out and said, July after what the CDC said.  Right now it is all speculation, although I think Princess was first to react to it, they have to re-group and analyze their situation.

• Thanks 1

I'm also waiting for a Princess announcement ...

Will they offer a scaled back schedule?

Will they continue to list on their website, sell and accept money for cruises they know they cannot and will not operate?  Such as a 3-day LA to Vancouver May 14?

Almost seems criminal.

Waiting for them to offsd me a serious discount if I final-pay now for my Sept/Oct sailing ...

I understand there are serious issues and uncertainties ... 

But sending boatloads of crew back home does not indicate a quick near-future start up.

Most importantly, Princess needs to be honest about their future ... and stop taking people's money to enhance cash flow

39 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Most importantly, Princess needs to be honest about their future ... and stop taking people's money to enhance cash flow

I agree.  But OTOH people can control this - just proactively cancel before final payment for cruises they know won't be happening (through mid July).  Princess knows many people are looking for an incentive to get a FCC so it doesn't surprise me they are acting like this.  But we can play the same game.  Problem is, most people won't be proactive.

• Like 2

I have already made my final payment (in February) for a May Alaska cruise that won't be happening.  Payment was made through Costco Travel.  I am a little confused about what will happen now.  If (when) Princess cancels the cruise, will Costco refund me?  It's hopeless to try to get through to Costco Travel by phone. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, azzure said:

I have already made my final payment (in February) for a May Alaska cruise that won't be happening.  Payment was made through Costco Travel.  I am a little confused about what will happen now.  If (when) Princess cancels the cruise, will Costco refund me?  It's hopeless to try to get through to Costco Travel by phone. 

Wait until Princess cancels. They should give instructions is: form to fill in for refund. Try to connect with Cimpany you booked with before submitting anything 

1 hour ago, pms4104 said:

Will they continue to list on their website, sell and accept money for cruises they know they cannot and will not operate?  Such as a 3-day LA to Vancouver May 14?

I tried to book one and got as far as selecting a room before it booted me out and told me to call Princess. So although it shows available I cannot book it

4 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I tried to book one and got as far as selecting a room before it booted me out and told me to call Princess. So although it shows available I cannot book it

yep, I got a few of those today also ...

23 minutes ago, azzure said:

If Costco charged your credit card they would make the refund.  If Costco provided your credit card credentials to Princess, it would come from Princess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why would you book a cruise 3 days from LA to Vancouver at this time? ( 30 days out ) 

Can you actually book this cruise from start (selecting cabins) and end by  submitting  payment for this cruise OR are you looking at it on a web page that lists the sailing. I would imagine that cruises in this time frame may still have a listing, however,  the cruise line may not be taking/ completing reservations.  If one is able to book this cruise from start to finish today 30 days out I would be very surprised. ( and I am right there with you second city)

I am not sure why you are looking for discounts on September / October sailing at this point? for that I would follow the cruise costs and re fare if a better deal becomes available. 

I was also told on the phone this morning that I should expect an announcement tues. with respect to future sailings. which made me remember that I was told that before when calling to inquire about port closures affecting future sailings I am still waiting for the announcement.  

41 minutes ago, voljeep said:

46 minutes ago, Ombud said:

42 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Well, I just booked a Jun 3 Alaska sailing ... on hold thru Tue ... all Princess needs is my CC#

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, azzure said:

Had the same issue.  The money comes from Princess.  Costco gives Princess the credit card info and it is billed from Princess.  If you look at your credit card statement it says Princess not Costco.  At least mine does.

Per CNBC 4/13/20 pm - - CDC extends no sail order to mid July.

Carnival is burning through $900 mil per month

Royal Caribbean $400 mil per month

Norwegian $140 mil per month

CNBC also stated that cruise lines makes the largest share of their revenue during the 3rd quarter of every year. 

How long before the cruise lines can get back up and running? 

How many cruisers will actually cruise when cruise industry is back up and running?

Also, per CNBC, CLIA is meeting with the major cruise lines tomorrow on new guide lines to get these ships back up and running.  Stay tuned for more developments.

Edited by John99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, azzure said:

@franktown; yes, I just looked at my credit card statement and it says Princess.  Confusing since I paid with my Costco Visa card!

Why is it confusing? That is simply a regular Visa card that Costco accepts for payment. They used to only accept Discover which is why I had a Discover card. It was still just a regular credit card.

• Like 2

I see that Carnival just canceled their sailings through late June ... starting back up on June 27th per their website.  Although this happened in one of their earlier cancellation phases, they have canceled all their sailings out of San Francisco.  I'm not sure if Princess will follow suit ... maybe they figured there might not be enough cruise traffic out of that port to support two separate lines.  I guess we will find out tomorrow.  

Still deciding what to do with my late August cruise up to Alaska.  I still have time to decide but would rather reschedule it for next year instead of making final payment and again, wait to get it returned.  

4 hours ago, pms4104 said:

I'm also waiting for a Princess announcement ...

Will they offer a scaled back schedule?

Almost seems criminal.

Waiting for them to offsd me a serious discount if I final-pay now for my Sept/Oct sailing ...

I understand there are serious issues and uncertainties ... 

But sending boatloads of crew back home does not indicate a quick near-future start up.

Almost seems criminal?

My guess is that Princess staff is pretty busy on other matters and prioritizing these matters over the very few people so uniformed that they would book a May cruise.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ElkGroveCruiser said:

Why on earth would anyone book a cruise for June when we all know there is a 100 day pause on all cruises?  I just don't get it.  SMH.

4 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

I agree.  But OTOH people can control this - just proactively cancel before final payment for cruises they know won't be happening (through mid July).

That 100 days isn't known certainty, because the CDC announcement had two outs before the 100 days:

...the earliest of (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register.

But with the cruise lines now canceling cruises to within a month of that date, it can't be much earlier than 100 days. And no one would be surprised if things were pushed back beyond that 100 day date either.

Edited by Earthworm Jim

27 minutes ago, ElkGroveCruiser said:

Why on earth would anyone book a cruise for June when we all know there is a 100 day pause on all cruises?  I just don't get it.  SMH.

Some people are very eager to take cruises at the very first opportunity no matter what.
If the cruise ban is lifted and nothing changes with the spread of the pandemic, they will still go. 

5 hours ago, azzure said:

If cancelled by Princess the refund will be from Princess.  That is the previous arrangement Princess has made plus they have stated they will preserve the commission of the outside booking agency.

I suspect one of the items slowing down refunds is reconciling which bookings were made directly with Princess via the web site, which were made with a Princess Cruise Vacation Planner, and which were made with an outside agency, etc. so they can preserve the commission were appropriate. The complication comes with who to refund for extras. Is it the agency or the customer because some agencies pay for extras as incentives to customers.

Edited by brisalta

Everything cancelled thru July 1 according to my PVP.  We have now had 4 cruises cancelled, over 65 days.  Thankfully we have multiple booking numbers do the refunds and Fcd will not be all once.  I am sure our 46 day to Asia out of LA in October will be cancelled or severely modified.  

10 hours ago, azzure said:

I received a notice from Princess on March 12 that our May Alaska cruise had been cancelled and there was a form to fill out for either a refund or FCC. I filled it out that day and received confirmation. Then on April 6 from Costco---

Our records show you have one or more active cruise bookings on a sailing that has been cancelled by Princess Cruises. We have not received a response from you, which is required in order to cancel your booking.

That was the first I'd heard from Costco so what was I suppose to respond to? I filled out their survey and got a confirmation on that too. Now to see when the refunds for Princess shore excursions and Princess airfare show up.

• Like 1