Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Another visit is in order to Te Papa museum to spend more time in the extraordinary WW1 exhibit.

This exhibition at the Te Papa museum was the most moving I have ever encounter. How fitting that these photo's bring back the memories, the day before we remember our veterans on both sides of the ditch with ANZAC day.  Lest we forget.

image.thumb.png.24cbf6a7dd5747f34f3d7452a16ac79e.png

image.thumb.png.6d77d26184c1d249ce7b57936cb2253b.png

image.thumb.png.44a7fd490eb5062178e5b23b7b067af9.png

image.thumb.png.97db8d8085e529fd45e7f2536ca87eda.png

• Like 2

The port of Napier is not very big but can take fairly large cruise ships.

There is a free shuttle to visitor centre in town.  You are not allowed to walk in the port.

It is also a surge port where swells can get into the berths & cause the ships to range along the dock.

If this gets bad ships are ordered out.

Port of Napier.jpg

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've having lunch with my cousins today. If it doesn't run too late we might try to go up to Zealandia.

Went there on my last cruise in February - great place to visit for anyone interested in nature (particularly birds). It was a beautiful calm and sunny day (probably the un-windiest I have ever had in Wellington)

RX026011-TS2.thumb.jpg.e204704150a67c17bea433bc2cba2a60.jpg

RX026063.thumb.JPG.5c6ae82841b2cf712f76dd523c942147.JPG

RX026080.thumb.JPG.6aac16dee7b77f752c41a461d3000847.JPG

RX026120.thumb.JPG.dfa179cd316334f98246cf30534a5eb9.JPG

Takahe

RX026111.thumb.JPG.1a1b752299c4117da81296fd9e278e60.JPG

Tuatara

RX025975A.thumb.jpg.39b4e713f180c559e6f3524f52cf5bfd.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! Gorgeous pics, boeckli.

We didn't make it there this time. Never mind, I'm sure we'll get back to Wellington again. I used to live in Karori but at the far end, Karori West, right next to Karori Park. In those days that area was a reservoir and strictly off limits. 

Itinerary Item 9 – Picton

I hope you all remembered to get up at dawn to enjoy the beautiful Marlborough Sounds in the early morning light. You did? Right?

I could say I added Picton to the itinerary because I love the Marlborough Sounds – which is true.

I could say I added Picton to the itinerary because it’s the nearest port to the Marlborough wine region – which is true.

But the main reason I added Picton to the itinerary is because I want to go on the heritage steam train, the Marlborough Flyer, from Picton to Blenheim.

But if trains aren’t your thing then I highly recommend doing a boat trip out on the sounds. If you’re feeling energetic you could always walk a short section of the Queen Charlotte track, with launch transfers. The scenery is spectacular. Make sure you take a picnic lunch with you, and plenty of water. Another option is a Marlborough food and wine tour. Or just ramble around the picturesque town, maybe go fishing, kayaking or dolphin watching.

Our next port of call is Akaroa.

If you’ve just joined us, please read the first post which contains the rules for this thread. Note this is a luxury all inclusive ship - all drinks, restaurants, internet, excursions, spa, beauty salon.

A beautiful cruise into Picton. We had a car hired so did a self drive tour of the sounds via Havelock and Richmond and then to Renwick and Blenheim for the wineries and some tastings, (I was driving so not so much for me). A lovely lunch on the terrace overlooking the whole valley at the Wither Hills Winery. I am glad the weather was so good, lovely sunshine with just a few clouds (so that the bay looked a bit cloudy), and around 22 degrees. Lovely sailing back out of the sounds with a few cocktails on the balcony as well.

Wait for me......wait for me ........wait for me!!!!!!

I got locked overnight in the Southward Car Museum at Paraparaumu out of Wellington. It is an amazing place, and I am not even a car buff, but loved this place. Would highly recommend it to everyone as a MUST SEE............Now where is that virtual helicopter so I can catch up with you all.

1.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG

The authentic original Gangster cadillac was my favorite, 1" bullet proof glass (complete with bullet holes)  what amazing stories it could tell!!!!!!

Edited by kent05
  • Like 3

As this is ANZAC Day I thought I should do something to commemorate. I have arranged with the Captain to Fly the Australian and New Zealand flags from the signal halyards. I talked to the guys in the band and as it turns out one of the trumpeters was in the military and knows The Last post. I hope some will be able to take a moment with me to remember the fallen. As last post begins the flags will be lowered to half mast, they will remain that way until sunset tonight when the trumpeter will play sunset. The Captain has also agreed to put the ship's flag to half mast from the start of Last Post through the minute of silence and raise it at The Rouse. Please take a moment to think of the fallen and also those who are in harms way at home and abroad keeping us safe.

Please charge your glass with your favourite libation (mine is Ron Zacapa Rum)

I raise my Glass, Ladies and Gentlemen... To The Fallen

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

As this is ANZAC Day I thought I should do something to commemorate. I have arranged with the Captain to Fly the Australian and New Zealand flags from the signal halyards. I talked to the guys in the band and as it turns out one of the trumpeters was in the military and knows The Last post. I hope some will be able to take a moment with me to remember the fallen. As last post begins the flags will be lowered to half mast, they will remain that way until sunset tonight when the trumpeter will play sunset. The Captain has also agreed to put the ship's flag to half mast from the start of Last Post through the minute of silence and raise it at The Rouse. Please take a moment to think of the fallen and also those who are in harms way at home and abroad keeping us safe.

Please charge your glass with your favourite libation (mine is Ron Zacapa Rum)

I raise my Glass, Ladies and Gentlemen... To The Fallen

Lest we Forget.

We had a lovely ANZAC day service on one cruise, if only I could remember which one it was, I think it was Pacific Princess, Queensland Coast. No one had a Bugle but a Trumpeter played The Last Post and Reveille.

If I ever do my dream cruise it will include laying too off ANZAC cove on the 25th.

• Like 2

A little known tourist attraction at Picton is the preservation of "Edwin Fox" the 2nd oldest merchant sailing ship in the world.

The only surviving ship that transported convicts to Australia & a Shaw Savill emigrant ship to New Zealand.

Built on the Ganges delta of Burmese Teak in 1852 in Ship rig, but later changed to a Barque for Shaw Savill service. 

It was the last of her type - a Moulmein Trader, similar to those built for the East India Company. Sheathed in copper on arrival in UK.  Chartered to the UK government in her early years as a troop & supply ship for Crimean War.

The drydock is right in town & has a small nautical shop.

Edwin Fox.JPG

Copper sheathed.JPG

• Like 3

We wandered around town today.  Lovely weather and lots to see.  We had a leisurely lunch before heading back to the ship.  We will join everyone at sunset to remember and respect those who lost their lives and those they left behind.  Lest we forget.

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I just hope they don’t have the markets on for cruises, unless Mrs Gut’s market spending is included in “All Inclusive”

Ah, no, you're on your own for that cost. From what I've heard she'd probably bankrupt the cruise line. 

• Like 3

We haven't been on a train for some time so that was so much fun. We decided to return to the ship early and have dinner. I want to be on deck for the lowering of the flags at sunset. I have had news from home today we are having our virtual tribute to an RCMP member and 21 other innocent victims of the worst mass murder in Canadian History, today my nation mourns. I will be thinking off my countrymen in Nova Scotia at sunset tonight.

A few years ago we did a day walk on the Queen Charlotte Track. That part of the track starts at sea level, then climbs right up the ridge, over the top, and back down to sea level. 

Starting the walk:

IMG_2585.thumb.JPG.f872e2729573a75bfced7c8c04f1ef3a.JPG

The track went higher, and higher but it was worth it, the views were fantastic.

IMG_2595.thumb.JPG.d00ef8d21319e29d97b0f0232849c500.JPG

While waiting for the boat to pick us up I spotted a couple of dolphins. I managed to snap this shot ...

IMG_2598.thumb.JPG.43442a11648132d2868dc43c9b4927e8.JPG

Before the local dog decided to try to chase them. 

IMG_2599.thumb.JPG.216e82d5b98ed2d31ba15530b6e4a7c9.JPG

• Like 2