Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I do sympathize with those of you who didn't enjoy the heavy seas during the night.  We loved it!  After all the perfect days and calm seas, it was fun (for us) to be reminded that we are At Sea.  We felt the storm during the night; woke up and decided to watch from our easy chairs at the front window.  (We are below the Bridge, in a forward-facing cabin.)  We had to keep the cabin totally dark, so as to not disturb navigation; all the better to see the storm!  Impressive!  The ship handled it very well.

Agreed, those self stabilising stairs are so good as well.

• Like 1

Although Capt. Cook named many places in NZ  he did not see Milford & he was doubtful he could get Endeavour out of one of the southern sounds - so he called it Doubtfull Sound.

Photos :-

1/ Southern sound

2/ Stirling falls named by HMS Stirling

3/ Milford

4/ Waterfalls after rain

5/ Bowen falls

6/ Mitre Peak - 1682m - only without cloud 1 day in 7.

1- Sounds.JPG

2 - Stirling Falls.JPG

3 - MS 8.JPG

4- waterfalls  Milford Sound.JPG

5-Bowen Falls.JPG

6-Mitre Peak 1682m.JPG

• Like 3

I'll have to come back another time as Stewart Island was missed again.

In Dunedin I again decided to revisit a geocache I had found previously. As in Akaroa this one was near a cemetery but it had gone missing. It was a nice walk to it all the same, with some interesting history on the headstones. https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4YHAB_who-ya-gonna-call-1980s-otago

Well so much for sleeping through the storm. After dragging myself off the deck and making barricades out of the cushions from the settee our king sized bed was now a double bed. pretty cozy. Luckily the sea sick tablets helped and we did wear seabands. The waterfalls are spectacular, but the gods could have dumped the rain without the crappy sea state. What a spectacular place, we look forward to returning next year. The best part is that even on a regular cruise this spectacular scenery is included in our fare.

What amazing scenery, we have been up on the forward deck most of the day.  We had a short break for lunch, but were lucky enough to grab a table with a great view, so really didn’t miss anything.  I must say the lamb chops I had melted in the mouth, so tender.  New Zealand lamb is a favourite of mine.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well so much for sleeping through the storm. After dragging myself off the deck and making barricades out of the cushions from the settee our king sized bed was now a double bed. pretty cozy. Luckily the sea sick tablets helped and we did wear seabands. The waterfalls are spectacular, but the gods could have dumped the rain without the crappy sea state. What a spectacular place, we look forward to returning next year. The best part is that even on a regular cruise this spectacular scenery is included in our fare.

This is the best time to experience fiordland, during or right after a rain storm, it is spectacular. I have heard/read somewhere it rains, on average 185 days a year. I thought it amazing when the waterfalls fall upwards!

• Like 1

Well after the squall last night, breakfast was pretty light this morning, and it was hard to tear ourselves away from watching the magnificent vista slide by. We did manage to get a nice bowl of Mulligatawny soup and some samosas for lunch very tasty. And then we went to the forward viewing lounge for a Chai Latte. We have arranged for a slow dinner in the aft facing dining room it may be selfish but we intend to have dinner at a view table and watch the sunset. I wonder what is on the menu tonight. more after dinner.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I'll have to come back another time as Stewart Island was missed again.

In Dunedin I again decided to revisit a geocache I had found previously. As in Akaroa this one was near a cemetery but it had gone missing. It was a nice walk to it all the same, with some interesting history on the headstones. https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4YHAB_who-ya-gonna-call-1980s-otago

Grave robbers perhaps?

well what a spectacular dinner. We started with an appetizer of chilled poached prawns and hot seared scallops. Then the main course; Moroccan Style braised lamb shank using dried apricots and topped with toasted almonds. It was served on couscous with steamed carrots tossed in brown butter. there was a basket of Moroccan msemen bread. Fall off the bone tender with a remarkable aroma. We chose a lovely Pinot Gris to accompany. For dessert it was Pavlova with fresh berries on top. I decided blueberry tea (made with Amaretto and Grand Marnier) Lynn went with a Mellow Monk coffee. What a wonderful meal with a view. I wish I had looked at what was on at the show theatre? Maybe early to bed tonight after dragging myself off the deck and ended up spending the rest of the nigh barricaded in the bed; I'm feeling a little sleep deprived.

Some years ago we drove in to Milford Sound and did and overnight trip on a small ship. As we left Te Anau it started to rain heavily, however by the time we boarded the ship and headed out it had virtually stopped but the waterfalls were in full spate.

IMG_2188.thumb.JPG.94b564319b924c3e91baf097c14d9dac.JPG

Next morning we woke to gorgeous blue skies so were able to see some of the glaciers on the mountains behind Milford Sound.

IMG_2228.thumb.JPG.48e66d07fbe47ba563995d24201a070f.JPG

The ship we overnighted on. Nice cabins, with ensuites.

IMG_2266.thumb.JPG.b66f925d5676f8ad9bbb3da4b096f0d3.JPG

We were able to get a decent shot of Mitre Peak before heading back to our car.

IMG_2269.thumb.JPG.2a90bf33b5e479ce89e8036541e7f556.JPG

• Like 3

This is one of my favourite shots ever. It was taken on Celebrity Solstice last year. I would not have believed that a large cruise ship could get that close to Sterling Falls but it did! And then the Captain did a full 360° turn that close to the side of the fiord. Of course Solstice has azipods which is why it could do it.

16097480_2019-04-0518_13_44.thumb.jpg.d67cc3d4ea8da622fdaa3cee191c7196.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, boeckli said:

@OzKiwiJJ - I have also experienced an overnight on the Milford Mariner (2007) and a 360 deg turn at Stirling Falls on the Solstice - both in excellent weather and very special indeed.

We were on the Milford Mariner in 2007 also. 21st/22nd March according to the date on my photos.

That's an awesome photo too. I think I was too busy looking over the side of the ship in awe of how close we were to the side of the fiord.

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Are we calling in to Greymouth?

No, we're heading straight back to Australia. Greymouth is a river port and too small for a ship this size, and there is no shelter for anchoring and tendering.

Itinerary Item 13 – Sea Days crossing the Tasman Sea

Discussion Topic – Dining

It’s time to look at all the wonderful restaurants on the beautiful Ocean Pearl. We have everything from casual to fine dining.

Naturally there is a Dining Room, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The breakfast menu includes daily specials. The lunch and dinner menus change every day. It’s open dining and you can choose to join a share table, or just have a table for two. You can book a table if you wish to dine with a group at a specific time. Naturally food allergies and intolerences are catered for however it is recommended you book a table each night with the same waiter so they understand your requirements and can make recommendations to suit.

Our casual dining venue operates rather like a food court, with separate food outlets forming the core of the dining area and seating around the edges, including al fresco dining when the weather permits. The large Breakfast Bar is open all day so if you want bacon and eggs for dinner that’s where to go. We’ve been very lucky to source a few international outlets including Din Tai Fung for superb dumplings and Ippudo for awesome ramen. Of course, there is a grill bar serving burgers, steak sandwiches and hot dogs. We also have the best Neopolitan-style pizza at sea. I don’t know how they do it but somehow they manage to make pizza cooked in an electric oven (because that’s all we’re allowed onboard) taste like it’s just come from a wood fired oven. There is Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian/Singaporean (they have the best Char Kway Teow). The French Patisserie has delicious cakes and biscuits, the Sandwich Bar serves fresh sandwiches and baguettes made to order, and the Salad Bar has amazing salads. When you arrive here you will be shown to a table, then you can wander around the outlets deciding what to order. Please note your table number so you can tell the server when you order. Your meal will be delivered to your table when it is ready.

And then there are the speciality restaurants. Have you found them all yet? I’ve found these ones so far:

• Edo Japanese Restaurant. Sit around the Sushi Bar and enjoy the offerings from the Sushi Master, or enjoy a traditional Japanese Kaiseki meal.
  • Old Chinatown – specializing in regional Chinese cuisines, with a base menu of popular dishes and a rotating menu of specialities including some of the spicier cuisines.
  • Encasa Spanish Restaurant, serving tapas and paella.
  • La Belle Vie – a classic French restaurant. OMG! The onion soup is to die for, and the duck is out of this world.
  • Fiorentino – Italian naturally! Their Bistecca Fiorentino is the best steak you’ll ever eat.
  • Brae on the Pearl. Dan Hunter, currently ranked as Australia’s top chef, is running the Chef Showcase restaurant on this cruise. His degustation menu is based around the freshest seasonal produce. He’s even got a small garden surrounding the restaurant and produce from that is used in the dishes.
  • Champagne! Oysters! Caviar! is a small bar/restaurant at the stern of the ship overlooking the wake. It serves small tastes of luxury foods, accompanied by the finest champagnes.

Have I got them all? Let me know if you’ve found one I’ve missed.

You will need to book at all of these restaurants. They have limited seating so that they can provide the best dining experience possible. They are also open for lunch on sea days.

Of course, all the restaurants on this ship have superb cuisine, but in real life cruise ship dining can be very variable, in food

and in ambience. Share your best and worst experiences of onboard dining as we cross the Tasman Sea.

Our next port of call is Hobart, Tasmania.

If you’ve just joined us, please read the first post which contains the rules for this thread. Note this is a luxury all inclusive ship - all drinks, restaurants, internet, excursions, spa, beauty salon.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

No, we're heading straight back to Australia. Greymouth is a river port and too small for a ship this size, and there is no shelter for anchoring and tendering.

I thought on this magical all inclusive ship, the helicopters and zodiacs would take us ashore.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I thought on this magical all inclusive ship, the helicopters and zodiacs would take us ashore.

They could - if there was somewhere safe to anchor but there isn't, and the west coast of NZ is notorious for its wild weather. 

Besides we already have a very full itinerary.

As for restaurants, you forgot the

Thai Tanic - Thai cuisine

The Pita Pan - Middle Eastern cuisine

Juan in a million - Mexican cuisine

Posh Spice or Via-Agra  Indian cuisine

Chops and Hops   steakhouse wih craft beers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1