Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Flathead is the best fish and chip fish in Australia but you don't get it at all in NZ.

I assume you meant Hoki also known as hake or Blue Grenadier. It's OK, but flathead is nicer IMHO.

Lyle, you're just going to have to experiment with our fish down under to see which ones you like.

Hmmm not sure what happened there, but Hoki is pretty common in F&C shops, Flathead is popular because it is easy to bone and being a bit dry takes the batter and oil well. Worst I ever ad was when one shop tried to sell battered mullet because it was plentiful, now mullet tends towards oily even if you grill it, battered and cooked in oil it was gross.

Lyle try and find somewhere that cooks their chips from scratch rather than using frozen chips, nice chunky ones light and fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside.

Sheesh now I am hanging for a feed, Fish and Chips with Salt and Vinegar or Battered Sav and Scallops with BBQ sauce.

14 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Lyle try and find somewhere that cooks their chips from scratch rather than using frozen chips, nice chunky ones light and fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside.

Sheesh now I am hanging for a feed, Fish and Chips with Salt and Vinegar or Battered Sav and Scallops with BBQ sauce.

Now who is making who hungry. We used to have a bunch of really good chippies here now we are down to 2, one close to home and one about a 20 minute drive. Flathead sounds like the same texture as halibut, Halibut are a strange creature, they start life swimming upright and when they are mature they swim flat and live on the bottom; one eye migrates across the top if the head so both are on the same side. Halibut can grow to well over 200 pounds. If an angler catches one that big it is a dangerous thing, make sure it's dead before you try to land it. It could easily kill you. Most guys are happy to get a 50 pounder, still dangerous just not as deadly.

Yes fish and chips with salt and malt vinegar coleslaw and some good house made tartar sauce yummy. 

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Here we really do prefer halibut to cod, I was wondering if there is an equivalent down there.

My preference is for snapper or salmon.  There was a show on the ABC a year or so ago called What's the Catch which exposed over-fishing and the problems associated with our preference for certain fish.  I try to avoid anything which is likely to be in danger and so I've adjusted my expectations to accepting farmed fish.  Unfortunately, snapper is an endangered fish so, I'm choosing other options these days. 

54 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

My preference is for snapper or salmon.  There was a show on the ABC a year or so ago called What's the Catch which exposed over-fishing and the problems associated with our preference for certain fish.  I try to avoid anything which is likely to be in danger and so I've adjusted my expectations to accepting farmed fish.  Unfortunately, snapper is an endangered fish so, I'm choosing other options these days. 

I love snapper or even its smaller cousin the Bream, but it would be an insult to batter either of them.

• Like 3

Flathead tails are favoured at our house but they are ridiculously expensive. I love King George whiting too, plus snapper and bream. But if buying from a fish and chip shop it is usually flake we buy. 

Leigh

4 minutes ago, chopper_1 said:

One of the chip shops in Akaroa sells an elephant fish. Yummmm.

According to Google - 

Elephant fish | Australian Fisheries Management Authority

Description: Elephant fish are a funny-looking fish with an almost entirely scaleless elongated body. They have large pectoral fins and two dorsal fins. The first dorsal fin is preceded by a large spine. Elephant fish have a single gill opening immediately in front of the pectoral fin on each side of the fish.

29 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

According to Google - 

Elephant fish | Australian Fisheries Management Authority

Description: Elephant fish are a funny-looking fish with an almost entirely scaleless elongated body. They have large pectoral fins and two dorsal fins. The first dorsal fin is preceded by a large spine. Elephant fish have a single gill opening immediately in front of the pectoral fin on each side of the fish.

Yep. Ugly as sin, but a great alternative to gummy shark (flake).

Itinerary Item 11 – Port Chalmers for Dunedin

Welcome to the Edinburgh of the South. The Scots must have felt right at home when they sailed into Otago Harbour. When we visited Scotland some years ago I was surprised at how familiar the countryside looked.

Dunedin is about 20 minutes drive from Port Chalmers and there will be shuttles running all day. We’re staying here for two virtual days so there is plenty of time for sightseeing.

Around the city you’ll find Olveston House, the original Speights Brewery and the newer Emersons Brewery. The Dunedin Railway Station is worth seeing even if you don’t do a train trip. However I do recommend doing the Taieri Gorge trip – the train will be waiting at the wharf when we dock. At the end of the trip you can leave the train at the railways station and explore Dunedin City. Shuttles and limos will be waiting at the Octagon for your convenience.

I also recommend the Otago Peninsular Day Tour which takes the low (coastal) road out to the Albatross Sanctuary, then on to the Penguin Place where you’ll see yellow-eyed penguins, and often seals with sheep grazing around them. The trip back will be on the high road with afternoon tea at Larnach Castle.

The world’s steepest street, Baldwin St, is in North East Valley. Dunedin also has lovely botanic gardens which are between the CBD and North East Valley.

Make sure you’re up in the viewing lounge or on deck when we sail out of the harbour, it’s one of the most interesting sailaways in NZ, plus you might see some albatross flying as we pass the sanctuary on Taiaroa Head.

Our next itinerary item is the Fiordland scenic cruising. We hope to reach Dusky Sound, the first sound we enter, around 8:30am.

If you’ve just joined us, please read the first post which contains the rules for this thread. Note this is a luxury all inclusive ship - all drinks, restaurants, internet, excursions, spa, beauty salon.

• Like 1

We were feeling very energetic today, and with the 2 days here decided to go for a guided walk on our first day.  We set off for a guided hike of Mount Cargill, one of the most prominent peaks in Dunedin.  We climbed up through old forests and saw wonderful views of Otago harbour, Mount Kettle and the Silver Peaks.  We also saw the Organ Pipes, basalt formations from volcanic activity.  Eventually getting to Butter's Peak, 2,000 feet above sea level.

Thank goodness getting back was downhill!!!  We stopped in Dunedin for a well earned drink, before heading back to the ship.  Tomorrow will be a lazy day, touring the Otago Peninsular to see the albatross and penguins.

8839706F-1C49-40D0-90D0-58769FCBAFE8.jpeg

• Like 2

Well we have decided to take the suggestions of our most excellent cruise director. Today is the train trip and the breweries, this will call for some extra stamina. So I think a proper breakfast is required. We love trains and are glad this is included in our cruise fare. This tour will cost us $800.00 next year so this may be our only chance to enjoy it.

We're loving all the ports; the scenery and the towns are so beautiful.  And the background information on each makes us appreciate them even more.

I have to say, we are also enjoying going up to top deck every night to enjoy the stars.  For those of us from the Northern Hemisphere, seeing the Southern Cross and other unfamiliar constellations is a treat!  

And I have to mention how much we are enjoying the food.  Fish and chips and other lunches ashore have been great, and on the ship, it's as if they have taken the best of all the other cruise lines.  Coffee is excellent, salads, fruits, breads and pastries, meats, vegetarian meals: all perfect.  Oh, and our tablemates have been terrific.  Lots of good conversation, especially about our ports.

We really hit the jackpot getting on this cruise!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Itinerary Item 11 – Port Chalmers for Dunedin

Leaving the ship we'll do a sightseeing coach tour of Dunedin and surrounding region, including the beautiful Otago Peninsula. My understanding is that Dunedin was founded by Scottish settlers and is therefore, known as the ‘Edinburgh of the South’.  Mr Bubbeh's into architecture and Dunedin has many beautifully preserved historic buildings which will, no doubt, frost his cookie.  We'll go get a gander at the Dunedin Railway Station and Olveston House , where he can drool over a treasure trove of art and antiques.

Lunch will be somewhere cheap and cheerful, hopefully Mexican food and in the afternoon we'll be front and centre for a performance by the Dunedin Scottish Fiddle Orchestra.  Although it was only established about 7 years ago by magically talented fiddler Anna Bowen, this orchestra brings 15 musos together in an ecstasy of fiddling (if you know what I mean).  If we're really lucky they might even extend themselves to some cello, pipes, piano accordion, flute, Irish bouzouki and maybe even the odd guitar.  OMG!  I am so excited, this is gonna be brilliant!

Tomorrow, I think just a walk around and rest while we source some other venues offering an acoustic experience.

As we’ve been on the Taieri Gorge train before, we decided to do the Seasider train to Waitati. Once back in Dunedin we’ll head to Speight’s Brewery and have lunch before doing a tour of the brewery. Then we’ll go into the Octagon and do a bit of exploring from there. Tomorrow we are doing the Otago Peninsula tour. So looking forward to it. 

Edited by possum52