Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

16 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Hey that sounds like fun.  Still room for a couple of extras?  I promise not to get giggly and embarrass you on the wine tour.

You're in. Just 2 more spots. I think we should try a couple of less well known places. We have enjoyed driving to wineries in the Okanagan wine region of British Columbia and have happened across a couple of real gems over the years.

We are going to wander around the town and perhaps do a walking tour. Looking forward to seeing the Art Deco buildings today. We’ll find somewhere to have lunch, preferably outside so we can enjoy this beautiful weather and people watch - one of my favourite pastimes.😀

We are headed to the tourist office to get a map and some advice.  We would love to go for a nice long walk, and want to find out if there are any beauty spots nearby that we can walk to.  It would be nice to stretch our legs and if we get some good views or wildlife sightings, all the better.

It's time I revisited Moana Park winery. Some years ago we went there on a wine tour, it was the last one after visiting three others and it was the best. It was the first time I had been to a truly organic winery.  Their whites were the best I had ever tasted, crisp, clean and delightful flavours. The reds, not so much as I am used to Hunter Valley reds. Moana can also organise shipping of wine back to Oz. I don't think any of the tours go there specifically so I will most likely book a vintage car to take me there with anyone else who would like to go. A Packard sounds like a good choice. Maybe pick up some more Manuka honey too. Another time I found an organic supermarket that stocked Moana wines and bought six bottles which I was allowed bring back on board without them be impounded. Cool.

Edited by lyndarra
typo

12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

OzKiwiJJ,  You are the best cruise organizer/naval architect/excursion adviser!

Thank you. I enjoy using my experiences of cruising, and my imagination, to put all the various things I've liked about various ships in this virtual ship, enhanced where necessary.

I do have an advantage in NZ as I grew up there, plus we go there regularly to catch up with friends and family. However there will be some ports on the itinerary that I've never been to so I will be relying on Google for info, and hopefully some of our fellow passengers will be able to add their experiences.

My late mother was in Napier at the time of the 1931 earthquake. It must have been terrifying! I've been in a few big NZ earthquakes but nothing of that magnitude. She never spoke about it, I only found out she'd been there from another family member. She would have been about 25 at the time. 

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My late mother was in Napier at the time of the 1931 earthquake. It must have been terrifying! I've been in a few big NZ earthquakes but nothing of that magnitude. She never spoke about it, I only found out she'd been there from another family member. She would have been about 25 at the time. 

Have you seen the documentary film about the earthquake in the Napier museum? I saw it last time I was there in February.

To others, I recommend it as a worthwhile visit. Its just across the road from the info centre.

I remember Napier in three different eras:

The first was probably in the early 60's so I was probably a pre-teen. Napier in those days was a seaside holiday town, very reminiscent of English seaside towns. There were private hotels along the Espalanade - a private hotel in NZ at that time was one that did not have a bar but did serve meals to guests only. The Esplanade was the place to be, for walking or playing. There was a great skating rink which held skate sessions 2-3 times a day. I wasn't allowed to go to the evening sessions though. The Aquarium was more of a dolphin and sea show place. How exciting it was to see those beautiful creatures up close although, of course, it was quite cruel and places like that were shut down eventually. I think there was a band rotunda too. I always loved seeing the statue of Pania of the Reef, she was so beautiful. In those days Hawkes Bay was famous for stone fruit and vegetables, not wine.

Fast forward a few decades to when the Hawkes Bay wine region had become one of the premier wine regions, and I spent a few days there with my ex, touring all the wineries. Napier had lost the English Seaside Town vibe but still hadn't quite clicked on to how special all it's Art Deco buildings and some of them were still a bit shabby.

Another decade or two and Napier is Art Deco Central, just like it is today. The vintage cars were starting to be seen occasionally, the buildings had been restored, and walking tours were becoming popular. It really is a unique place in NZ.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Have you seen the documentary film about the earthquake in the Napier museum? I saw it last time I was there in February.

To others, I recommend it as a worthwhile visit. Its just across the road from the info centre.

No, I haven't seen that. It would be very interesting. I did see a film about NZ's earthquakes in the Wellington Museum quite a few years ago which was fascinating and that may have had something about Napier in it. 

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

The Museum is great  . A must see in Napier .

Itinerary Item 8 – Wellington

The capital of NZ is often nicknamed Windy Wellington. Some claim its due to the amount of hot air coming out of Parliament but, no, that’s only a rumour. It’s actually due to its position in the Roaring Forties and its exposure to strong winds blowing through Cook Strait. It’s also had its fair share of earthquakes. The 2016 Kaikoura earthquake did a fair bit of damage to the city, and to the cruise wharf buildings so that the access to the wharf had to be changed and it is no longer possible to walk off the wharf. The steep hills along one side of the harbour are the result of another earthquake, back in 1855. However, don’t worry too much, I lived there for 20 years and survived it.

Wellington is a vibrant city with great coffee and plenty of good restaurants. Te Papa, the museum of New Zealand, is definitely worth a visit. Another nickname for the city is Wellywood after several movies were made there, including the LOTR films, and you can tour the Weta Workshop if you are a LOTR fan. A visit to Wellington isn’t complete without a ride up the Cable Car, where you’ll get great views over the harbour. You can either walk down through the Botanic Gardens, or just take the Cable Car back down again. I’ve heard that Zealandia Ecosanctuary is really great place to visit too. The waterfront area is lovely to walk along and there is a lovely beach at Oriental Bay, although the water might be a bit chilly.

We’re only here for one day but it’s a very long day as we will have a very, very late departure, we’re only going across to Picton as our next port. It’s only three hours away and we’re going to time it so we slip into the Marlborough Sounds at dawn.

If you’ve just joined us, please read the first post which contains the rules for this thread. Note this is a luxury all inclusive ship - all drinks, restaurants, internet, excursions, spa, beauty salon.

We loved our day in Napier!  Many years ago, we spent a week in Miami, at their Art Deco Festival.  A lot of similarities in the buildings, although South Beach Miami was built more as Tropical Art Deco.  But beautiful nonetheless. If any of you ever sail out of Miami, a visit to South Beach is very worthwhile.

I just noticed the vintage Art Deco ship posters around the ship!  They certainly capture the romance of the earlier days of sailing.

Looking forward to Wellington.

13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Itinerary Item 8 – Wellington

We've decided on a sightseeing coach tour of Wellington for the morning.  I'm feeling a tad second hand after our visits to wineries yesterday with Blackduck59, so I thought I'd be kind to myself.  Of course will see the Beehive, visit Mt Victoira and Old St Paul's church.  Should be feeling a little better by late morning so we'll take the cable car to the Botanical Gardens.

By the afternoon, I'll be fighting fit again and up for some entertainment and a couple of drinks.  With that in mind, I'm searching for a quiet bar where I hear that Dennis Marsh is performing.  For those who may not know him, Dennis is NZs best selling country music artist having achieved six platinum and 12 gold albums over the years.  He's also a TV presenter with his own show, My Country Song.  Anybody else this sort of afternoon appeals to is most welcome to join us.

We plan to take the cable car to the top and walk back down slowly through the beautiful rose garden. We’ll have lunch hopefully near the waterfront which will be followed by a visit to Te Papa Museum. 

Another visit is in order to Te Papa museum to spend more time in the extraordinary WW1 exhibit.

Lunch on the upper deck of The Foxglove Bar and Kitchen. Good feed there and kick back with a coldie while watching the passing parade below. Afterwards a stroll along the waterfront.

Bubbeh, thanks for sharing the wine tour with us it was so much fun. We were up early full English Breakfast for me and Lynn preferred the Yogurt and fresh fruit. I have seen some of the photos and we want to do the cable car, that looks cool and it's always nice to walk around a nice garden. I like the high view points but hiking up the hill, not so much.

Leigh, I like your plan, I guess great minds think alike😉

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We plan to take the cable car to the top and walk back down slowly through the beautiful rose garden. We’ll have lunch hopefully near the waterfront which will be followed by a visit to Te Papa Museum. 

This is our plan too.  We may see you along the way. 

• Like 1