Let's go on a virtual NZ and Australia cruise

So taking advantage of our all included cruise Lynn and I have decided that rather than self drive to Rotorua we will hire a small coach, like a Mercedes Sprinter. There will be room for 8 but 6 is a better number the last row is always squishy. We will arrange for a picnic to enjoy on the way and because this is an overnight port visit we will go to Te Puia  for the afternoon and stay fore the evening feast and show. After a fantastic day and evening we will return to the ship for a nice soak in the pool in the solarium. Now it is time for bed.

14 minutes ago, possum52 said:

May Rob and I join you Lloyd? We had a Mercedes van to go to Rotorua last time we were in Tauranga if I remember correctly.

Leigh

Hi Leigh, Lynn and I would be happy to have the company and for clarification my name is Lyle. I wonder who else would like to join in our small group. We need to get some thoughts for the picnic. I know there needs to be some Kim Crawford wine, but I'm not sure which yet. Of course we could try all of them😁. Chilled prawns, oysters (if anybody wants them, we aren't fussy for them) is smoked fish a thing down under? For those joining in our tour please let me know what we have to ask the caterer for, we have room for 2 more people.

Cheers

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

y late father used to love driving down to Devonport for an afternoon's outing. In those days you could drive right on to the wharf and he'd park facing out to the harbour and watch the ships and boats go by. Mum would just sit there, enjoy the sun, and knit.

My late parents were enthralled with airports and aeroplanes.  They loved nothing more than to sit at an airport and watch the planes come and go.  Mum would make up these stories about people they saw and then Dad would play along, sometimes they'd be watching international spies or people fleeing organised crime.  Mum's stories always ended well with people falling in love and living happily ever after.  After Mum died we used to take Dad to Jandakot airport to watch the planes and we'd stay for hours while he drank endless cups of expensive coffee and ate whatever was the most unhealthy option at the cafe.  Mum would never have allowed either practice so we used to say that he was making hay while the sun shined.

Thank you for the story of your parents, it has allowed me to revisit my own tale and now I can't stop smiling.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Itinerary Item 5 – Tauranga

What a thriving port city Tauranga I'd like to check it out but first I think we'll take a trip to  Rotorua.  I'm very interested in Maori culture and I've heard about the amazing geothermal activity you can see there. In particular I'd like to see the Lady Knox Geyser erupt.  From there I think we'll visit Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland, to witness the incredible geothermal displays I've heard of such as, boiling mud pools, steaming craters, and coloured lakes.

In the afternoon I think a sightseeing tour of Rotorua is called for, I'd like to see the reportedly beautiful Elizabethan-style Bath House.  Afterwards though, it's back to the ship for whiskey and reading.

Tomorrow I've decided to just chill and wander around Tauranga, grab some lunch somewhere with good wine and spend lots on souvenirs.  

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hi Leigh, Lynn and I would be happy to have the company and for clarification my name is Lyle. I wonder who else would like to join in our small group. We need to get some thoughts for the picnic. I know there needs to be some Kim Crawford wine, but I'm not sure which yet. Of course we could try all of them😁. Chilled prawns, oysters (if anybody wants them, we aren't fussy for them) is smoked fish a thing down under? For those joining in our tour please let me know what we have to ask the caterer for, we have room for 2 more people.

Cheers

Soryy Lyle, a senior moment there, I do know your name. I used to work with a Lloyd! But then have a nephew named Lyle. I much prefer other NZ wines to Kim Crawford with sav blancs being my favourite type. There are so many other wines I think which are nicer to drink. I was given a bottle of Kim Crawford sav blanc when I retired and no-one wanted to share it with me! I ended up taking it to a family dinner. Some NZ craft beer possibly?

Fresh seafood is the go for picnics in NZ and Aus. Crusty bread, pate, cheese, fruit and some cold meats would also be good. 

Thanks for including us.

We're going to Rotorua today as well. It's several years since we last went there so we'll have a wander around the town and lakefront to see what has changed, do the Redwoods TreeWalk as we haven't done that before. We'll have a light lunch somewhere then head up the Gondola for a few runs on the luge. We're luge addicts! Then we'll go to the Poly Pools for a relaxing soak before heading back to Tauranga via the alternative route through Pyes Pa, which was always my favourite route between Rotorua and Tauranga.

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My late father used to love driving down to Devonport for an afternoon's outing. In those days you could drive right on to the wharf and he'd park facing out to the harbour and watch the ships and boats go by. Mum would just sit there, enjoy the sun, and knit. It was great for elderly people as they could stay in their cars, sheltered from any wind, and didn't have to walk anywhere to get great views.

OzKiwiJJ, your story reminds me of my parents. On a Sunday there was always a drive to the Warrnambool beach or to Port Fairy, They would just sit in the car and watch the waves and enjoy the tranquility. They didn't do it on hot days during summer as there were too many people around. Dad still loves a drive to the beach and up to isolation still went most days to see what is going on in the bay. Mum only goes occasionally these days.

Leigh

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Look out for Mills Reef or Morton Estate wines. They are both local Bay of Plenty wineries and both produce excellent wines.

Thanks OzKiwiJJ, great to get some suggestions.

4 minutes ago, possum52 said:

OzKiwiJJ, your story reminds me of my parents. On a Sunday there was always a drive to the Warrnambool beach or to Port Fairy, They would just sit in the car and watch the waves and enjoy the tranquility. They didn't do it on hot days during summer as there were too many people around. Dad still loves a drive to the beach and up to isolation still went most days to see what is going on in the bay. Mum only goes occasionally these days.

Leigh

It's lovely when there are parking areas (preferably free) where seniors can sit in their cars and get great views of beaches, harbours, lakes, etc. Those sorts of parking spots are becoming far and few between or have become very expensive. 😪

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, possum52 said:

59 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Soryy Lyle, a senior moment there, I do know your name. I used to work with a Lloyd! But then have a nephew named Lyle. I much prefer other NZ wines to Kim Crawford with sav blancs being my favourite type. There are so many other wines I think which are nicer to drink. I was given a bottle of Kim Crawford sav blanc when I retired and no-one wanted to share it with me! I ended up taking it to a family dinner. Some NZ craft beer possibly?

Fresh seafood is the go for picnics in NZ and Aus. Crusty bread, pate, cheese, fruit and some cold meats would also be good. 

Thanks for including us.

Okay no Kim Crawford for Leigh, craft beer is a great idea, we have several Honey brown beers here I quite like, just a little darker than a regular lager. We still have 2 spots available for our tour of Rotarua.

For the second day I'm going to try and convince Lynn to do a helicopter tour (that should be fun...the convincing part) maybe the plane would be an easier sell. Then I think back to the sanctuary of our suite, I think a nap is in order.

Edited by Blackduck59
removed double quote
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

The Spectacular  Vocalist  NIKKI BENNETT   -  joined our cruise in Auckland & will be doing several shows.

This Australian star of stage, film and television shines in unmissable shows. 

Nikki Bennett [51].JPG

She is awesome.

33 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The Spectacular  Vocalist  NIKKI BENNETT   -  joined our cruise in Auckland & will be doing several shows.

33 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

She is awesome.

Perhaps but can she sing Bluegrass,  pick a steel guitar or play the fiddle?  Hmmmm...?????

I've had a lovely time in Tauranga, although I nearly crashed on the luge. I was slightly off-centre when I went airborne on the bump at the top of the big drop and found myself heading closer to the edge than I liked. I just managed to straighten up in time. Phew!

We've had a leisurely second day, just wandering around the Mount and having a swim at the hot pools. I do miss NZ's hot pools. 

Itinerary Item 6 – Sea Day

Discussion Topic – Bars and Lounges

After almost a virtual week of hectic port days it’s time for a relaxing sea day, and time to tell us all about what bars and lounges you want to see on our magical ship, and why.

Don’t worry if someone has already nabbed the spot you want for your bar/lounge. Because this ship is magical it handles space rather like the Room of Requirement in the Harry Potter novels, so as you reach the location you just think “I want to be …” and you will be, along with everyone else who chooses to be there at that time.

I want Crooners! More specifically, the version of Crooners that is on Sea and Sun Princess, that uses the whole of the space around the atrium on that deck. It has a piano, and a decent-sized dance floor in front of the piano although tables are set out on the dance floor during the day as Crooners is also a café then, with really good coffee. Why Crooners? It’s always seemed the heart of the ship on Princess, even the half sized Crooners. Majestic Princess just didn’t seem like a true Princess ship without Crooners on one side of the atrium and the pop-up Crooners was awful.

I want a quiet, relaxing viewing lounge looking forward over the bow. A bit like the Sky Lounge on Celebrity (which I love except it’s too noisy sometimes) but with three generous tiers so everyone can see the views. The tiers are accessed by ramps so wheelchairs, scooters etc can handle them easily. Comfy sofas for two with coffee tables alternate with larger tables with four or six chairs around them. Gentle background music plays in the background. It’s a place for reading or knitting or doing jigsaw puzzles, for quiet conversation, or just gazing out to sea. It’s also a café/bar and at 3:30pm a lavish afternoon tea is served. From 7:30pm onwards you can also order an elegant degustation dinner at one of the tables on the top tier(s) but these are limited so ensure you book. This place is one of the best places to enjoy a cocktail when leaving port, especially leaving Dunedin.

I’d like to have a lounge that doubles as a second theatre but is set-up like Club Fusion on Princess (rather than the Vista Lounge layout), with small booths and tables on tiered levels. I much prefer this set-up for trivia, and it would work well for small shows, and as a cabaret. There would be a dance floor, of course, and a reasonable sized stage but not as large as the stage in the main theatre.

There has to be a bar/cafe overlooking the wake, preferably at least partially undercover but open at the sides. Another great place to have a cocktail during sailaways.