End of Safety Muster Drill....?

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Hand sanitizers are not that great a help in preventing transmission of a virus present in respiratory droplets. Corona transmission is very different from Noro.

I understand the respiratory droplets, but the infected person had to have become that way by either inhaling the virus or touching a surface where the virus is sitting in wait and then transferring it to his own respiratory system.  I would think that any precaution is better than none.

1 minute ago, Billy Baltic said:

I was referring to the requirement for a doctors letter for over 70’s. I’m open to correction but I don’t believe any other group requires this. 

I haven't heard anything about this.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

There is absolutely no reason to ever have an outdoor muster drill.They can have it on the TV’s in cabins.If they want to insure that passengers view it they can hand out a questionnaire specific to the drill on that date.

There is a reason for doing it outdoors, or in other locations that aren't people's rooms.  It's done that way so that people can know where their muster station is.  I would imagine that it is required to be that way, for that reason.  Perhaps @chengkp75 can confirm (or not).

Edited by time4u2go

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

Social distancing is a TEMPORARY measure people.

If you read the latest guidelines, the practice of physical distancing is mentioned in all three phases. Physical distancing is 6’. Going to be tough to operate cruises in this manner. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

There is a reason for doing it outdoors, or in other locations that aren't people's rooms.  It's done that way so that people can know where their muster station is.  I would imagine that it is required to be that way, for that reason.  Perhaps @chengkp75 can confirm (or not).

The last cruise I was on had the muster drill in the dining rooms.

8 hours ago, Coopdog08 said:

If you read the latest guidelines, the practice of physical distancing is mentioned in all three phases. Physical distancing is 6’. Going to be tough to operate cruises in this manner. 

Once again, these are TEMPORARY measures, in the future, “ social,distancing” will be all but forgotten, don’t forget that this pandemic will end at one point, hopefully rather soon.

52 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Once again, these are TEMPORARY measures, in the future, “ social,distancing” will be all but forgotten, don’t forget that this pandemic will end at one point, hopefully rather soon.

What would you define as “rather soon”. It’s likely to be with us until science provides options. Yes, it has a big impact but it also saves lives. 

• Like 1

I can’t imagine why anyone would want to go on a cruise if social distancing will be in place. It’s bad enough just going to the supermarket once a week. You will be spending more time on lines waiting to eat than being able to enjoy the ship. What activities will be available for the kids? They aren’t going to school now so the kids clubs won’t be open. That alone would keep me from sailing. 

• Like 1

Unless an effective treatment or vaccine is discovered, social distancing will prevail.  Now, it seems 6 feet is not enough -- it's more like 12 feet.  Impossible on a cruise ship. The Muster Drill debate is moot at this point. I have accepted the reality that cruising will not restart anytime soon. 

9 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Impossible on a cruise ship. The Muster Drill debate is moot at this point. I have accepted the reality that cruising will not restart anytime soon. 

Exactly.  But the beat goes on here discussing every detail of social distancing on ships.  And people are booking August cruises.

10 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Exactly.  But the beat goes on here discussing every detail of social distancing on ships.  And people are booking August cruises.

And RCI continues to accept the bookings, and money,  for cruises that they know will never happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, returning to the OP's question, no, the muster drill will not go away, nor will it change much.  The only way to accomplish a change to the muster drill requirements is for the IMO (a majority of the 174 member nations are needed to pass or modify a convention) to meet and pass this change.

I doubt that Costa does a muster drill "completely by video".  You may receive safety information via video, but you will be physically at your muster station.  SOLAS does allow for the use of video presentations of safety notices and things like donning a lifejacket, but the main purpose of the muster drill is to have passengers physically go to their station, so they know exactly where it is.  The secondary purpose is to give the crew training in the "herding of the cats" that is the passenger muster drill, as this is the only time they can actually experience the confusion, inattention, and sometimes rudeness that is passenger behavior.

Moving drills indoors would not solve the problems of muster stations vis a vis Covid-19, as you are trading outdoors for an indoor ventilated space.  The second reason is that the IMO would need to change the rules about muster station locations in SOLAS, as the preferred muster location is as close to the lifeboats as possible, and only if that location (promenade deck) does not provide sufficient space for the muster, can alternate locations be certified (indoor locations), if those locations meet specific needs of ingress/egress, distance to boats, volume, power, lighting, and ventilation, and a few other considerations, and the locations have been tested using crowd and crisis management software simulations.

Now, for doing drills in shifts.  While interporting, as done in Europe makes the drill more difficult, at least the crew at the muster locations knows which cabins are to be present at each muster.  However, this removes a lot of training of the crew, as they cannot practice directing passengers to the stations, when you have some passengers who need to go to their stations, and many who do not.  If you plan on doing drills in shifts, you would either have to lock down the entire ship, restricting all pax to their cabins until all shifts of muster are completed, or you will have chaos as crew direct you to your station, and you say, "it's not my turn", and go on your way somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is very simple to resolve and be in compliance. Here is my suggestion: Run the muster drill video in all staterooms, with your smart tv in each room, upon watching the video you enter your acknowledgement of having viewed. (IF you do not the video remains in a loop on all channels). Once accepting your response you have a window of time to report to your muster location and a crew member will enter you in the system as complete. All failures to comply will report to a secondary muster area at some point during the cruise and their sea pass will be incur a fee for non-compliance. 

4 minutes ago, rolloman said:

It is very simple to resolve and be in compliance. Here is my suggestion: Run the muster drill video in all staterooms, with your smart tv in each room, upon watching the video you enter your acknowledgement of having viewed. (IF you do not the video remains in a loop on all channels). Once accepting your response you have a window of time to report to your muster location and a crew member will enter you in the system as complete. All failures to comply will report to a secondary muster area at some point during the cruise and their sea pass will be incur a fee for non-compliance. 

Chief said that "SOLAS does allow for the use of video presentations of safety notices and things like donning a lifejacket".

13 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Brilliant! I can live with this.  I would add a carrot and stick approach.  $25 OBC reward for completing and a $25 fee for noncompliance. 

Now solve the social distancing requirement...😁

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Chief said that "SOLAS does allow for the use of video presentations of safety notices and things like donning a lifejacket".

We live in a time of evolving change, what was not possible today, very easily can be accepted tomorrow. It is happening all around us as we speak.  My idea is now capable due to recent technology changes...changes which would not have been possible a couple years ago. Some of you out there need to get your head out of the sand.

15 minutes ago, rolloman said:

We live in a time of evolving change, what was not possible today, very easily can be accepted tomorrow. It is happening all around us as we speak.  My idea is now capable due to recent technology changes...changes which would not have been possible a couple years ago. Some of you out there need to get your head out of the sand.

Please go back and read post #89, particularly the first paragraph.  A cruise line cannot unilaterally just make such changes.

13 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Whether the technology allows for it is pretty irrelevant, if the governing bodies do not "get their head out of the sand" as you put it, and change the regulations.  As noted above, the safety information is considered by SOLAS to be secondary to the physical muster.  Muster means to assemble or gather.  Individual reporting would not meet that definition, and so would require a revision to SOLAS.  Another requirement of SOLAS for all drills is that the drill be as close to a real emergency as possible.  Again, individual reporting would not meet that.  So, if you want to petition the IMO to revise SOLAS, be my guest, but know that they work at a pace that makes "glacial" seem quick.

USCG also requires crew to report to their abandon ship station with their immersion suit and their lifejackets, even if the ship is equipped with a free-fall boat, where the immersion suit would be dangerous in the closed environment, and the lifejackets could become projectiles.  So, even the IMO is not the only ones who have not revised requirements due to changing technology.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, rolloman said:

Here's my take:

Upon boarding, everyone has their muster station clearly printed on their board pass, example:  Muster Station "D" on Starboard outside, Deck 4.  Everyone must stop by their muster station at their leisure from 11 am - 3 pm to get their card electronically scanned, to make sure everyone in their family knows exactly where muster station is, to have kids banded, will only take up one or two staff member per station.  

Then watch video on in-cabin TV before 3:30pm, then each cabin must use in-cabin phone to call special muster #, punch in special code shown at end of video to certify that they've watch video.  Example, at end of video, pick up phone, dial ext 9999, enter code 5678, done.  

Cruise lines can work out better details later, like changing the special code every 30 minutes, or by deck, or whatever to make it compliant.

Think the whole idea is to keep from having 3000 - 6000 new people driving/flying in every week from all over the world, then immediately congregating into a tight space to share cooties...