Ships returning to Europe

cockneyjock

30 minutes ago, clo said:

We have friends who made it out of Baja (I think it was Baja) before Southwest called them to tell them the border was being closed. Is it still? I see Canada has extended their closure. I wish you well.

I believe it is still possible to fly in and out of Puerto Vallarta but, since much of the city is shut down, there are not many visitors.  American still is operating 3 flights a day (to Chicago, Phoenix and Dallas) but all the other flights have been cancelled.  We still have one friend who has decided to stay in PV rather then return to her home on Long Island, NY.  Most of PV (and Mexico) is locked down somewhat similar to what we are experiencing in the USA.  Our own Condo building (which has about 150 units) is open to owners but only has a skeleton crew.   Mexico has done very little COVID-19 testing so its impossible to get a good handle on the current health situation.  When we left in mid-March we were not aware of any COVID-19 cases in Puerto Vallarta.  Four days after we left they started to shut down Puerto Vallarta with most of the restaurants and bars closing their doors.  Some of our Canadian friends were stuck in PV for a few days because Westjet stopped their flights without much notice.  

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I believe it is still possible to fly in and out of Puerto Vallarta

It was probably 'just' that Southwest was discontinuing flights. Interesting times we're living in.

4 hours ago, clo said:

With Italy being shut to tourism for the rest of the year, I wonder how that will affect Med. cruises generally.

Italy and Spain are both floating the idea of being closed to tourists for the remainder of 2020, but to the best of my knowledge, this is not a done deal. (France also, but most of France's tourism does not come from cruise ships.) I try to read some Italian news online to keep up my Italian, and they are talking about gradually opening up some sites and museums -- places like Pompeii or the Colosseum where crowding could be avoided if tickets were limited.

Neither country are among the wealthiest in the EU and both depend heavily on tourism, with Spain lagging quite a bit behind Italy (and times have been tight there recently). One wonders what will be the outcome if this actually happens. A lot of suffering.

Cruise lines are not able to start their seasons on schedule and my guess is that there will be far, far fewer ships that actually get re-positioned. That said, there are the Italian lines (MSC, Costa), likely to have some presence in the Med if it is at all possible. The Princess, RCCL, Holland America and Celebrity ships will likely be less visible than usual, although it may be that some smaller ships will be able to do cruises such as the British Isles or Norwegian Coastal itineraries. Hank makes good points about the ports themselves -- they would certainly be key to having a Med cruise season.

I was looking forward to a TA from Copenhagen to Boston in Aug/Sept that had several stops in Iceland and Greenland; I have just canceled that one. I am still holding onto a BTB Med cruise in October, mainly because of the very sweet deal I got on it originally, but even if the cruises run, I will likely decide it is too risky. 

8 minutes ago, clo said:

It was probably 'just' that Southwest was discontinuing flights. Interesting times we're living in.

Not just Southwest.   In PV we have many different airlines including Southwest, JetBlue, AA, Delta, United Westjet, Alaskan, and a few more.  All have stopped their flights except for American and some internal Mexican flights.  I assume it is the same at the other Mexican resort-area airports.  I really feel bad for all the staff in our Condo (we have a large full-time staff of maids, security, admin, maintenance,etc) and our many friends in the restaurant business.   The shut down hit at a very busy time of the year (Spring Break, Easter, etc) and there will likely be many bankruptcies.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2020 at 4:49 PM, Charles4515 said:

Probably someday. Many European ports citizens don’t like cruise ships so they might not let them back. Venice and Barcelona come to mind. Small ships, under 1000 might be allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suspect you are right, but I think in some cases they are only going to allow the really small ships (500 and under) the ability to dock in the city.  Venice is going to send all the larger ships to Chioggia and they will have to take buses into Venice.  Brugges might just say no entirely to all ships, although I expect they will still allow the small ships under 15 tons to visit.  Barcelona has far too much money invested in infrastructure to close their port to cruise ships.  

The smallest ships (500 and under) will always be welcome as their passengers tend to eat meals on shore and spend more on locally made goods.   I have visited a number of small ports and can't think of a single one that would have a problem absorbing the passengers from two small (sub 350) ships in port at the same time.  

Edited by ducklite

15 hours ago, ducklite said:

Venice is going to send all the larger ships to Chioggia and they will have to take buses into Venice. 

This is only a proposal,  not a done deal.  And, considering that this proposal has been in "discussion" for several years I doubt we are going to see it become reality any time soon.

I think overall in Europe the appetite for cruise ships will not be there for the rest of the year. There is a lot of anger and trauma especially in the Mediterranean countries and I think if ships start docking people would be quite hostile. The people need time to process what has happened in their countries and deal with all the issues COVID19 has raised. Cruising and mass tourism in general in Europe was already contentious before COVID19 so I don't think the cruise industry is one governments will be rushing to restart. It will probably be one of the last ones they reopen and I suspect it will be more heavily regulated.

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

About 6 miles from Brugge is the port where ships dock. Zeebrugges.

Thanks. We arrived there many years ago by train. It's so lovely and intact that I'd hate to see it overrun by cruise traffic.

Thanks. We arrived there many years ago by train. It's so lovely and intact that I'd hate to see it overrun by cruise traffic.

Unfortunately when there are cruise ships there it is overrun. I got off the ship first thing and it was great. Empty. Most passengers left later. By noon it was ruined. Brugge does not seem to be on many itineraries so you could probably arrive by train on the right day and not be overrun.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

arrive by train on the right day and not be overrun.

I would go back there.  We were there about 20 years ago and had a huge apt. for a small amount. All the cobblestone streets. Dover sole so good we had it two nights in a row. And our landlord actually drove us back to the train station. A lovely memory.

• Like 1

There has been talk in Italy of not opening their borders to international tourists until 2021. Some have said March or April 2021. However as far as I can find this is not yet official.

Currently Italy doesn't even allow people to travel between regions within the country and although international travelers can come in, they have to have a written plan for where they will quarantine 14 days and how they will get there without using public transport. Next step would be allowing travel between regions if their numbers continue trending downwards. If the numbers stay good that might happen as soon as May.

Yesterday France announced plans to reopen shops and send kids back to school May 11. Restaurants will reopen June 2nd and tourism is being discouraged at least until June 1st when beaches may reopen. No public events of more than 5,000 until September. 

Greece is reopening some shops May 4th and others May 11th, and allowing movement between prefectures. Only students in their final year will be returning to school May 11th with the rest returning a week later. June 1 restaurants and only those hotels open year round will be reopening. Masks are required. Even sporting events are canceled for summer, as well as all concerts, events, and festivals.

Spain just allowed kids to leave their homes for an hour a day for the first time in six weeks. Restaurants reopen for take away only May 4th. Schools are shuttered until September. Like France they are watching numbers for two weeks before moving to the next phase of the reopening plan. 

Turkey said yesterday they hope to start reopening in late May.

None of this sounds hopeful for European cruises before at the earliest July and probably later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

There has been talk in Italy of not opening their borders to international tourists until 2021. Some have said March or April 2021. However as far as I can find this is not yet official.

Currently Italy doesn't even allow people to travel between regions within the country and although international travelers can come in, they have to have a written plan for where they will quarantine 14 days and how they will get there without using public transport. Next step would be allowing travel between regions if their numbers continue trending downwards. If the numbers stay good that might happen as soon as May.

Yesterday France announced plans to reopen shops and send kids back to school May 11. Restaurants will reopen June 2nd and tourism is being discouraged at least until June 1st when beaches may reopen. No public events of more than 5,000 until September. 

Greece is reopening some shops May 4th and others May 11th, and allowing movement between prefectures. Only students in their final year will be returning to school May 11th with the rest returning a week later. June 1 restaurants and only those hotels open year round will be reopening. Masks are required. Even sporting events are canceled for summer, as well as all concerts, events, and festivals.

Spain just allowed kids to leave their homes for an hour a day for the first time in six weeks. Restaurants reopen for take away only May 4th. Schools are shuttered until September. Like France they are watching numbers for two weeks before moving to the next phase of the reopening plan. 

Turkey said yesterday they hope to start reopening in late May.

None of this sounds hopeful for European cruises before at the earliest July and probably later.

A slight relaxation of lockdown rules is one thing. Allowing 1000s of strangers to leave a ship and wander around a port is totally another.

Anyone who thinks that cruises in Europe will restart before October at the very earliest, is very misguided.

Heck, in the UK,  we're being told to forget about taking holidays in our own country this year,   let alone taking cruise holidays, or letting cruise ships arrive at places like Southampton or Glasgow.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Heck, in the UK,  we're being told to forget about taking holidays in our own country this year

In my state they have lifted some movement restrictions. We can drive 50km from our home 😂. In my case that will reach the outer suburbs of my city. I am starting to make a list of local things to do😀. By the end of COVID19 I will get to know Sydney very well👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

In my state they have lifted some movement restrictions. We can drive 50km from our home 😂. In my case that will reach the outer suburbs of my city. I am starting to make a list of local things to do😀. By the end of COVID19 I will get to know Sydney very well👍

We may be allowed to select 10 people that we may visit  (not all at once). 

I'm sure that it is not totally the case, but I'm not sure that some Americans in states that are fortunate not to suffer from many cases of CV 19, fully realise how the rest of the world is having to change due to this disease. No mass gatherings, no sport,   no travel, no pubs!

And then I see President Trump is talking about holding mass rallies again. Unbelievable. 

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

And then I see President Trump is talking about holding mass rallies again. Unbelievable. 

He sets a great example, doesn't he? Unlike the leaders in other countries. We're #1 doesn't sound so great 😞

My company announced Monday that they have extended their directive against international travel -- and while that is business-focused, of course, they strongly urge everyone to observe it for non-business travel (i.e., only in cases of real need).

They are also giving strong hints that people who don't NEED to be working on sites may not be returning to work until after the summer...

I hope the cruise lines will be as responsible in their approach. While I enjoy cruising as much as everyone else on this site, this is not a time to rush back to it, IMO.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

We may be allowed to select 10 people that we may visit  (not all at once). 

I'm sure that it is not totally the case, but I'm not sure that some Americans in states that are fortunate not to suffer from many cases of CV 19, fully realise how the rest of the world is having to change due to this disease. No mass gatherings, no sport,   no travel, no pubs!

Yes, he is also talking about getting back to work. It is something I and many other Americans want to hear about.   If there are areas in in any country that can get back to normal, then they should.   Don't be throwing too many stones.       

1 hour ago, clo said:

He sets a great example, doesn't he? Unlike the leaders in other countries. We're #1 doesn't sound so great 😞

And the other day VP Pence entered a medical facility during some photo OP without a mask.   Is it meant to be an inspiring demonstration of macho leadership or simply being unthinking?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

a medical facility

The freaking MAYO CLINIC who had notified him ahead of time about their mask policy!

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Is it meant to be an inspiring demonstration of macho leadership or simply being unthinking?

Yes.