Worried the solution might cause greater harm than the problem

CroozFanatic

I never trusted cruise ship employees spraying some chemical concoction on my hands when I boarded the ship. I can only imagine what the cruise industry will employ in order to resume operations. And who will police what chemicals and procedures they use to 'sanitize' their ships? Exactly...themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CroozFanatic said:

I never trusted cruise ship employees spraying some chemical concoction on my hands when I boarded the ship. I can only imagine what the cruise industry will employ in order to resume operations. And who will police what chemicals and procedures they use to 'sanitize' their ships? Exactly...themselves.

I always liked the washy washy person and appreciated that squirt on my hands. Maybe cruising is just not for you.

• Like 8

I don't doubt they will do as much as they can to sanitize the ships. Their future financial survival will be on the line. I won't be the first to jump onboard when cruising resumes. I'll observe from a distance, even though I really want to take a cruise.

The problem is sanitizing may not be enough. We really don't know enough about the virus, it is still evolving. People are now saying sunlight (UV) kills it, while Singapore is seeing an uptick in cases.  I think I heard 15% of the entire NYC Metro is believed to have been infected, yet the health system capacity in NYC is not overburdened. Then, there were projections that a million US citizens would die, then 100-200k, and now significantly less. The effects of mitigation was included in those estimates.

So, they simply don't know. What we know is that the virus evidently thrives when large volumes of people get together in close quarters for long periods of time.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, blcruising said:

I don't doubt they will do as much as they can to sanitize the ships. Their future financial survival will be on the line. I won't be the first to jump onboard when cruising resumes. I'll observe from a distance, even though I really want to take a cruise.

The problem is sanitizing may not be enough. We really don't know enough about the virus, it is still evolving. People are now saying sunlight (UV) kills it, while Singapore is seeing an uptick in cases.  I think I heard 15% of the entire NYC Metro is believed to have been infected, yet the health system capacity in NYC is not overburdened. Then, there were projections that a million US citizens would die, then 100-200k, and now significantly less. The effects of mitigation was included in those estimates.

So, they simply don't know. What we know is that the virus evidently thrives when large volumes of people get together in close quarters for long periods of time.

We are at 52,000 after social distancing, with only a few states hit hard so far, it’s only April. This is just the beginning. At some point the majority of people will have been infected.

Why would you assume that the cruise industry would not use reputable and reliable "concoctions" to sanitize their ships?  It would seem to me that after all of this, they will be more sanitized than ever.  And what personal responsibility does one assume when boarding a ship?  When that day comes for us, we will take our own measures and precautions, as we have done in the past.  This, coupled with the efforts of the crew, is really all anyone can do.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

How about just wash your hands for the requirement amount of time before entering?

• Like 2

Actually, I read (via a youtube video) that Carnival Corporation will be asking everyone to wash their hands at sinks where the staff can see you before entering the buffet, and that buffet food will be served to you by staff.  I'm guessing, but pretty sure, that this will become the industry standard.

Perhaps they'll install sinks or require that passengers use the hand sanitizer before they're let into the dining rooms, too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

We were on an NCL cruise out of Barcelona a few years ago where the previous cruise had passengers with the Norovirus.  The room stewards were constantly spraying sanitizer in our cabin, so that my wife started having an allergic reaction or something like that.  We talked with the room steward and he agreed to stop the spraying in our cabin.  My wife got better thanks to that.  Your question is a good one.

19 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

Um, who will "police" them? Most likely the Bahamian equivalent of OSHA (if not OSHA themselves).  Ever heard of an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)?  Any potentially hazardous substance must have one  - they can't just mix stuff together themselves and do what they want with it - that would generally be a huge violation.  They must use those types of things only for their intended and described purposes.  Even most household cleaners must have MSDS on file/available if used in any commercial/industrial setting.  I work at an office, and we have to have MSDS on file for basic things like toilet bowl/bathroom cleaner, and Windex.  I'm fairly certain disinfectants (for both surfaces and hands) would be included in those requirements.  Even if OSHA doesn't regulate cruise ships (I couldn't really find that out with a quick google), I wouldn't be surprised if they adhere to OSHA standards anyway - due to the lawsuit-happy nature of Americans, if something did happen to be used improperly, NCL would want to make sure they CYA as much as they could.

Like other posters stated, if you're afraid of it, stay home, but, it's the essentially the same stuff that is (or will be) used at your local grocery store.  Before long, you won't be able to avoid sanitizers/disinfectants.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, roger001 said:

I did see a news article today where Lysol is advising us to NOT inject their germ disinfecting solutions.  So, guess that option is off the NCL list of preventive measures.   

Maybe they'll convert one of the thermal suite rooms in the spa into something to let you get UV light "inside the body." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 4/25/2020 at 6:35 AM, vpearlkc said:

I can only imagine what the cruise industry will employ in order to resume operations.

One of the large competitor cruise lines is reportedly attempting to patent the words "EMUSTER" and "SEAFACE". This could give some indication of what the future may hold. I have a feeling the future will be a lot more than washing hands.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 3

If you don't trust the washy washy employees then you definitely should not be cruising.   There are far more things to worry about in life than thinking washy washy is going to hurt you in anyway.

If and when cruising resumes, I'm bringing my own bleach to drink.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Why would you assume that the cruise industry would not use reputable and reliable "concoctions" to sanitize their ships?  It would seem to me that after all of this, they will be more sanitized than ever.  And what personal responsibility does one assume when boarding a ship?  When that day comes for us, we will take our own measures and precautions, as we have done in the past.  This, coupled with the efforts of the crew, is really all anyone can do.

Looks like they are testing the new "concoctions"...

http://crew-center.com/hundreds-birds-found-dead-cruise-ship-open-decks—

There are many reported incidents and some explanations about the mass deaths of the starling birds. The Spanish News Media “The Local” reported of such incident in February this year, when birds were found dead on the tarmac of a highway. The Local says that a similar incident occurred in Wales wich produced head-scratching amongst local officials before the investigation concluded that the birds had died on impact with the road while trying to escape a predator.

Starlings often flock together in their thousands to form what is known as a murmuration, an amazing sight most often visible just before dusk. But if the group is targeted by a bird of prey, it can send the formation into evasive action which may disorientate the birds and cause fatalities.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It seems that the link and the video posted in #18 and #20 no longer work.  It's a shame about the birds.  @texasgirl29 thank you for the info. regarding starlings.  I have read of the circumstances you discussed.  Not sure if I'd link the death of these birds to new sanitation chemicals on cruise ships, but these days, who really knows?  Certainly not me!

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It seems that the link and the video posted in #18 and #20 no longer work.  It's a shame about the birds.  @texasgirl29 thank you for the info. regarding starlings.  I have read of the circumstances you discussed.  Not sure if I'd link the death of these birds to new sanitation chemicals on cruise ships, but these days, who really knows?  Certainly not me!

Probably a lightning strike actually

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 4:55 AM, CroozFanatic said:

They will force people who don't trust the spray to fully comply with the sanitation requirements at each designated point. Or deny them boarding or deny them access to the facility they are entering. 

6 hours ago, blcruising said:

One of the large competitor cruise lines is reportedly attempting to patent the words "EMUSTER" and "SEAFACE". This could give some indication of what the future may hold. I have a feeling the future will be a lot more than washing hands.

That's fascinating. 

https://www.*****.com/2020/04/25/royal-caribbean-files-trademark-possible-electronic-muster-drills