CArnival Stok now up to over $16.00

oskidunker

Cant figure out what is going on here. I still ahve 100 shares bought at 9 so I have made 77% profit. I sold the other shares I had at 30% profit and had intended to keep these for On Board credits but if it passes 20, I might sell and take the money. Any thoughts on what is going on? Yesterday it went up and the market went down. Today small market gain yet CCL up 10% more.Somebody is buying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Cant figure out what is going on here. I still ahve 100 shares bought at 9 so I have made 77% profit. I sold the other shares I had at 30% profit and had intended to keep these for On Board credits but if it passes 20, I might sell and take the money. Any thoughts on what is going on? Yesterday it went up and the market went down. Today small market gain yet CCL up 10% more.Somebody is buying.

I bought at $8.

Unfortunately, only 100 shares, so it's not time to download Johnny Paycheck's "Take this job and shove it"

I'm left to ponder whether that was the gent's real name...

Bought a second set of 100 shares for my grandkids (when they start cruising).  Set at $9.  Bought at $8.20 when the market opened.  Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought it would double so quickly.  I'm so happy.  Now to get on a cruise to get my Share Holder Credits.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Any thoughts on what is going on? Yesterday it went up and the market went down. Today small market gain yet CCL up 10% more.Somebody is buying.

Market in general is going up because of the possibility of a vaccine in the fall and the possible use of a treatment for Covid-19 patients that reduces time in the hospital.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Market in general is going up because of the possibility of a vaccine in the fall and the possible use of a treatment for Covid-19 patients that reduces time in the hospital.

Let's hope those market assumptions are correct. OTOH, we have Dr. Fauci predicting a possible resurgence of the virus in the Fall.

Carnival got funding, has enough cash to.operate for a year. Market is up generally as was said.

Price now is over $15. I doubt it will go down to $8 again since i think the worst is over. But no one has a crystal ball.

I had to chuckle about the short-term capital gains tax if selling 100 shares that were purchased at $8 per share.  If the stock price doubles that is only income of $800. Unless you're in a high tax bracket you will have very little tax due. And if you are in a high tax bracket $800 to you is not very much money 🙂

Edited by frugaltravel

37 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

That would be around $150 capital gains in the 23/24% tax bracket

$8/share doubling is $16/share. So the capital gain is $8/share or $800. 

The short term capital gains tax - if that is what you meant - is $192 at 24%. Still not bad. You get to keep 76%😝

On 4/29/2020 at 4:07 PM, Roberto256 said:

I bought at $8.

Unfortunately, only 100 shares, so it's not time to download Johnny Paycheck's "Take this job and shove it"

I'm left to ponder whether that was the gent's real name...

Donald Eugene Lightle

I've been playing both CCL and RCL over the past couple of months. Since ours is held in an IRA-SEP, I don't have to worry about the taxes on it. I missed the last bottom on RCL but did pick up a few shares of CCL at $8 and just unloaded them at about $14.50. I think both are headed for another down cycle and will probably pick them both up again when I think we are near the bottom. 

On 4/30/2020 at 6:57 AM, AF-1 said:

That would be around $150 capital gains in the 23/24% tax bracket

Plus 10% state tax in California. Also since we are on medicare and verynclose to the in one threshold could cost us and additional $600 a year each for higher premiums. I think Ill just keep the 100 shares. If my wife ever stops workin and our income goes down I could think of selling them. She is a nurse and working long hours even though she retired. 

• Like 1