Face masks Onboard?? Yes or No --- merged thread

geckoaz

On 5/20/2020 at 7:48 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

unfortunately there are over 1100 deaths related to the virus just in our city. It's all relative to what's gone on around you.

Yes, people's personal experiences certainly have a lot to do with their take.

Of the people who died in your city, how many were people with BMIs over 40?  They are far and away the most vulnerable (and correlation in your 1100 is not causation.)  After those 1100 died, the rate likely went down considerably, right?

As for NYC, *requiring* retirement homes to accept COVID-positive patients when they already shelter some of the most vulnerable was a clear recipe for disaster (and proved to be so.)

If you're afraid, don't cruise!  Can't imagine how much of a vacation it would be when you're worried.  If you're sick, please stay home (cruise lines could help here by allowing truly ill people to cancel without penalty.) 

We have an RCCL cruise scheduled, but if masks become required, we'll wait until they're not.  For now, going to book with Carnival/Princess for the rest.

Edited by WAMarathoner
  • Like 4

On 5/29/2020 at 4:10 PM, TNcruising02 said:

I live in a state with a reasonable government for a reason. 

Yes,  you do.  Your first lady volunteers in disaster areas.  This year alone she's been to Chatanooga and Cookeville after the tornadoes.  Not for photo ops, but to help people.  I wish our state government officials had the same integrity that yours do.

Question about the CDC -- these are not ships registered in the USA (mostly).  I can understand them wielding power in US ports, but it seems like they would have no control once the ship was out of US waters.  Or I am missing something?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WAMarathoner said:

Yes,  you do.  Your first lady volunteers in disaster areas.  This year alone she's been to Chatanooga and Cookeville after the tornadoes.  Not for photo ops, but to help people.  I wish our state government officials had the same integrity that yours do.

Question about the CDC -- these are not ships registered in the USA (mostly).  I can understand them wielding power in US ports, but it seems like they would have no control once the ship was out of US waters.  Or I am missing something?

yes you are missing something.

2 minutes ago, WAMarathoner said:

Can you show me re: the CDC?  Could only find this article (https://time.com/3516827/cdc-constitution-quarantine/)

which would seem to say that their power is limited.  Would sincerely like to know otherwise.  Thank you.

No I can't show you.

All I can go by is my past experience which I posted before.

21 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

You won't be going on a cruise if a mask is required. The cruise lines will all be in liquidation bankruptcy. Cruise lines are not going to survive on a handful of bookworms that sit in their cabin for 7 days reading a book.

Well you may be right, look at all those airlines, require masks, so does Costco, I think they are the way to bankruptcy.

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

Well you may be right, look at all those airlines, require masks, so does Costco, I think they are the way to bankruptcy.

Costco has not had stores shut down because of the virus.  The cruise ships are giant money pits.  I don't understand how so many on these boards think there is no way these cruise lines can go out of business.  It is baffling to me the suspension of disbelief on these boards.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

The airlines would all be bankrupt if not for government bailouts. No bailouts for cruise lines. I don't take vacation time and pay to go shop. If I have to wear a mask I have a fake one that I pull down to my chin but usually just take it off once inside.

• Like 1

The cruise lines won’t require masks.  The only reason why Disney and Universal are requiring them is because the unions demanded them.  No unions with cruise lines.  The masks are pointless anyway and deep down everyone knows it.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

The cruise lines won’t require masks.  The only reason why Disney and Universal are requiring them is because the unions demanded them.  No unions with cruise lines.  The masks are pointless anyway and deep down everyone knows it.  

Just curious.  If I put you in a room with someone who just tested positive for Corona virus and they were coughing and sneezing, would you want them and you to have a mask on?  I think deep down everyone knows that a mask has to at least do some good at stopping particles from spreading. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

If you're afraid, don't cruise!  Can't imagine how much of a vacation it would be when you're worried.  If you're sick, please stay home (cruise lines could help here by allowing truly ill people to cancel without penalty.) 

Question for you or anyone else who would cancel (with penalty) if required to wear a mask:  Does that penalty bother you?  Should Carnival refund fully or at least give 100% OBC instead of  penalizing those who booked under no-mask guidelines?  Now just read what you said above about refunds for “truly ill” and didn’t include refunds for “afraid” or maybe even “just wouldn’t enjoy right now”.

13 minutes ago, skridge said:

Just curious.  If I put you in a room with someone who just tested positive for Corona virus and they were coughing and sneezing, would you want them and you to have a mask on? 

"They all" think masks/social distancing are pointless....until someone has a nice big sneeze and it hits home.

If you come from a place that has been basically unaffected...you just kind of assume everyone's ok.

But, on a cruise....you'll get people from all over, including people from "the hot spots".  Someone can take an aspirin an hour before boarding...and the screening (taking a temp) is worthless.  And then there's "the density" of humanity.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skridge said:

Just curious.  If I put you in a room with someone who just tested positive for Corona virus and they were coughing and sneezing, would you want them and you to have a mask on? 

No I wouldnt because that is their and my rights to choose.

• Like 1

Thanks MsTabbyKats for your insightful input. If I happen to run into any of you and you aren't wearing a mask please don't be offended if I don't acknowledge you up close. I will, however, move 12 FT (I am doubling the safety effect) away a give you a Big "Hello". 

Believe it or not "Sometimes plain old Common Sense" still works.   

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

Thanks MsTabbyKats for your insightful input. If I happen to run into any of you and you aren't wearing a mask please don't be offended if I don't acknowledge you up close. I will, however, move 12 FT (I am doubling the safety effect) away a give you a Big "Hello". 

Believe it or not "Sometimes plain old Common Sense" still works.   

I'm not too sure what you are referring to....about running into me and not wearing a mask? (Maybe I misinterpreted).

I do guarantee you that I won't be wearing a mask on a ship because I have no intention of cruising unless things radically change or someone comes up with an vaccine.

I'm the President of the "Wear a Mask and Don't Come Close to me Club".

I just made a woman in the building laundry room wear her mask or get out (as I told her I had Covid once, I don't need it again)!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jean87510 said:

After what has happened in the US over the weekend, I seriously doubt anyone needs masks. Unless there's a spike in 14 days...

Or the month+ prior demonstrations about freedom to open.  Lots of mask wearers there....

To be clear, I don’t condone destruction of property or violence.  I also take the mask thing seriously where required.  You can’t have things both ways.

Edited by TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail

Some good is no good. A coughing person infected with Covid will expel up to 2 million virus spores. It only takes about a 1000 to get you sick if you are in the vulnerable group. A 99% effective mask lets in 20,000. None of the mask are that effective actually much less. The only effective method to avoid covid is isolation.

Anyhow, wearing a mask on a cruise will turn way to many passengers to other forms of vacation.

Edited by HaveWeMetYet
  • Like 3

I dont have a problem wearing a mask but I would hate it if they keep it for the next year as well. I understand the new policies and their desire to start operations as soon as possible but I doubt people will appreciate cruising in masks for the end of days. All the new cruises will be planned without masks being mandatory that s for sure 

3 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

I guess.  I don’t question spending time with someone that got the virus (what 1.8M Americans now) and yes not everyone gets sick from contact but don’t pretend it’s a joke.  I prefer masks but am used to them by now.  I want everyone to be safe.  I want to limit the spread.  No hidden agenda.

My dad had surgery in April and nobody was allowed inside of the hospital except patients.  I do not believe that a hospital would allow visitors, other than maybe parents of a minor child, to visit a person hospitalized with covid-19.  Way to spread the virus.  Who would sit in the same room, other than a caregiver, with a person who is contagious?  I think it's a troll post.  This person created an account on CC to make that post.

Edited by TNcruising02