Face masks Onboard?? Yes or No --- merged thread

geckoaz

Nope that's why I'm waiting to book I want to cruise April or may.i started to put a deposit but I will wait on reviews and commentary.i have a carnival Cruise for 2022 southern caribbean journeys cruise after that we are done.going back to land vacations with the motorhome.the changes in cruising over the last twenty years have been pushing me away I think what will happen in the future will push me over the edge.

What is the usual square foot "social distancing" capacity in your average Carnival main Lido Deck pool. I guess you might be able to get 10 cruisers in there-the rest of us will pass out from dehydration

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, I won't cruise if a mask is required on the ship.  I have no problem wearing one waiting to board the ship or while leaving the ship, but I have no desire to spend my vacation in the hot sun wearing a mask.  I like attending the comedy shows and having a drink now and then.
 I don't see the benefit in constantly removing a mask to take a drink or to eat food.  Besides the fact that it defeats the purpose of wearing a mask, all of the stuff on the outside of my mask will be all over my hands.  It really seems like it will create more problems than it will solve.  I am fine with social distancing and would love to be on a cruise ship that isn't crowded.  The mask is a deal breaker though.

• Like 5

I hope than soon a cheap reliable instant Covid test will be deveolped so all passengers and crew could be tested before sailing. I know this would not guarantee no outbreaks but it would go long way in restoring some level of confidence of the cruising public.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

I hope than soon a cheap reliable instant Covid test will be deveolped so all passengers and crew could be tested before sailing. I know this would not guarantee no outbreaks but it would go long way in restoring some level of confidence of the cruising public.

The military is working on a test that may be able to detect the virus within 24 hours of a person contracting it.  If a test like that could be available in August for cruise lines, it would be a real game changer.  That, along with a treatment that works, could turn this thing around.

"DARPA said the test can detect the presence of COVID-19 as soon as 24 hours after a person is infected, which is before individuals experience symptoms and several days before the virus can spread to others."

and 

"The group’s efforts have led to a test that can yield a diagnostic result in 30 minutes to an hour, and if administered quickly enough, DARPA’s test can detect the virus four days before current tests can — a milestone that can increase the opportunity to isolate pre-infectious cases and track the spread of the virus.

“This technology has the ability to identify infection before symptoms appear and also before conventional tests [can],” Van Gieson said. “Part of our validation process is to evaluate how soon we can identify infection, but similar approaches have shown that host response targets, such as mRNA, can be identified three to four days before detection of viral infections through direct viral tests for infections such as influenza.”

https://www.governmentciomedia.com/darpas-covid-19-test-detects-virus-people-become-infectious

Hard no for our family.  Our doctor advised us that masks actually spread germs because you end up touching your face all the time.  He recommended just practicing smart hygiene.  He also said continuous use contributes to breathing problems.  Plus, we have kids and I am not interested in trying to force them to wear masks.  I have enough to deal with.  At most 20% of the population is sporting masks where we live.  From what we have read, we have come to the conclusion that they just are not necessary in the current situation.  We have not worn one yet and will not go anywhere that tries to require us to wear a mask.

• Like 3

On 5/4/2020 at 1:16 PM, Organized Chaos said:

Do you know why they don't allow masks on Halloween? Is it a safety issue because some masks could obstruct a person's view? Just curious.

I wear glasses...and between my mask and glassed my peripheral vision is really bad and dangerous when crossing streets.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 11:03 AM, jimbo5544 said:

They very well may, at embarkation and possibly muster.  Airlines are doing it starting today.

That is different you are in an enclosed area breathing recirculated air, actually, it is not a bad idea in the past every time I've flown I got sick within a few days.

Edited by shipbound2

As far as wearing a mask on a cruise:

Try exercising....even moderate exercising....with a mask on.  I usually take the stairs...can go up 6 decks without a problem.  Not with a mask on!

Call me a temporary landlubber.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

As far as wearing a mask on a cruise:

Try exercising....even moderate exercising....with a mask on.  I usually take the stairs...can go up 6 decks without a problem.  Not with a mask on!

Call me a temporary landlubber.

That is true exercising with a mask on is impossible.

Won't cruise if we have to wear a mask!   The people at work keep touching their mask and face because of the mask, after which they touch different work surfaces like door knobs, shared PC, etc.  

• Like 3

Alas masked or unmasked. I think if cdc requires some uses carnival will do it. They want to operate. With cruising reservations up 600% people want to cruise.  Broadway plans to open in september.  Performers on ship.will be in a sense quarantined on board. Hopefully the lessons learned is that people get covid and not a disaster for them to get off ship in places like miami.  It is already there. It is 105 in arizona masks are really hot. Can you imagine in the hot humid carribean?  Arghh

Someone said, if it's not safe to cruise without a mask, it's not safe to cruise at all. That notion is false, or shaky logic at best, with no real factual truth behind it. As it stands now, there's still no concrete evidence that all of the mask wearing is effective against COVID-19. There's just not enough data to definitively say it's the way to go. The only thing we know is that no one knows for sure. I agree with Butterbean in that it's to make people feel safe. Let's not forget that for weeks, all of the experts (Fauci, Birx, the Surgeon General, the CDC, etc.) all discouraged the use of masks, except for healthcare professionals. Many in the media, and their parade of "experts," said the same thing. Now they've all done a 180. There are many doctors who still discourage their use to this day, as has already been talked about. Homemade masks made from cotton only block 2% of the airflow, meaning 98% of airflow can pass through those masks. That means a large percentage of respiratory exhalations can pass through them, to include the possibility of it being laden with the virus. It's also said that those "surgical" masks, the (baby blue) ones we see everyone wearing, aren't very effective for the general public either. They're often loose fitting and allow a lot of air to get passed. And now new studies are showing that it can be contracted through the eyes. So what's next, goggles?

• Like 2

I'm just curious, if they did do testing before you get on the ship, where would the testing be done?  Are we waiting in line to get tested, and if someone tests positive, what happens to the people waiting in line around them.

Obviously the people traveling with the tested positive person will not be boarding.