The Anthem going from Florida to India to repatriate crew

I heard from a crew member friend that on May 9th the Anthem will transfer all non-Indians stuck on ships off South Florida to other ships and all Asian Indians will board the Anthem to journey home to India.   I guess they will include other RCL brands but perhaps even non-RCL brands .  

Seems strange - must be a long journey

6 minutes ago, jmsnyc said:

I heard from a crew member friend that on May 9th the Anthem will transfer all non-Indians stuck on ships off South Florida to other ships and all Asian Indians will board the Anthem to journey home to India.   I guess they will include other RCL brands but perhaps even non-RCL brands .  

Seems strange - must be a long journey

Shame this wasnt done back in march when we all knew the timeline from other countries was going to be months before things could reopen. 

I guess rcl just kept holding out hope their ships would sail soon.

I have heard that ccl and hal have been working on doing this same process if transferring to crew to get them hime.

Glad to hear they are doing this as I am sure so many of those workers with no paychecks since end of march just want to get home to see their families.

Bless them all for safe travels home!

• Like 1

If this were true, I don’t think it would take 6 weeks to get from FLL to India...?
It’s 3 weeks from India back to Southampton.... allowing for the dry dock that would put her back there by August...

Ben said he still anticipates a UK season this year. 

Edited by little britain

If only Asian Indians onboard who stays with ship once they reach India?  What then becomes of Anthem, does she reposition elsewhere  or remain near India for easier crew up when cruising eventually resumes (whenever that is)?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

If only Asian Indians onboard who stays with ship once they reach India?  What then becomes of Anthem, does she reposition elsewhere  or remain near India for easier crew up when cruising eventually resumes (whenever that is)?

No idea.  I am guessing the entire cruise industry is on hold for now anyway.

2 hours ago, little britain said:

I heard about this last night .  Personally I don’t know why they didn’t start doing this weeks ago as soon as it all kicked off in NYC, it was obvious cruises were not going to be commencing anytime soon and instead they have been doing the Corona drift off the coast of Florida , 45 days at sea for some . One crew member already committed suicide from the Jewel , I am surprised there haven’t been more , at least us locked down on land can see our friends / family from a social distance or through  windows . 
I think It is ridiculous that they are bringing Canadian crew over to Southampton from the US waters and flying them back to Canada when it would be much simpler to drop them off in Canada , take them by bus to isolate them in a closed hotel for however long it takes and then home for them.

I am sure there are logistics to consider I have not thought about but p***  up and brewery does come to mind . 

Edited by heatherb1958

Indian crew will be transferred aboard Anthem of the Seas

The ship will depart on May 9, and set sail to Goa, where is expected to arrive on June 3. The Indian government has country shut down, except for ship repatriation of the Indian nationals.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

14 hours ago, jmsnyc said:

I heard it will take from May 9 to June 22.    Almost a month and a half.

I wonder about the rest of the crew.   I know a lot are from the Philippines

The date of June 22nd, is for countries other than India that they are aiming for, while using ships and charter flights to repatriate crew home.

4 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

I think It is ridiculous that they are bringing Canadian crew over to Southampton from the US waters and flying them back to Canada when it would be much simpler to drop them off in Canada , take them by bus to isolate them in a closed hotel for however long it takes and then home for them.

Maybe it’s because Canada has their ports shut down??

@A&L_Ont maybe can offer some insight?

16 hours ago, atgood said:

Will it go through the Suez Canal to get there?

Going almost directly east using the Suez Canal would be the shortest, most direct and likely least expensive route. Definitely going west through PC would be much longer and expensive  trip. Going south around Cape of Good Hope at bottom of Africa would be about 1/3 longer trip but wouldn't have any canal passage fees.

Edited by robtulipe

5 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

I heard about this last night .  Personally I don’t know why they didn’t start doing this weeks ago as soon as it all kicked off in NYC, it was obvious cruises were not going to be commencing anytime soon and instead they have been doing the Corona drift off the coast of Florida , 45 days at sea for some . One crew member already committed suicide from the Jewel , I am surprised there haven’t been more , at least us locked down on land can see our friends / family from a social distance or through  windows . 

I am sure there are logistics to consider I have not thought about but p***  up and brewery does come to mind . 

The first and usual approach was to fly people home. As this has become more and more impossible due to local government decisions they now take the ships. This is not an approach a cruise line would take immediately and no one knew in March how it develops. 

On 5/4/2020 at 5:14 AM, heatherb1958 said:

Canadian ports are closed until July 1st.  There are over 300 Canadians still at sea

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cruise-ships-stranded-crew-members-cdc-covid-19-1.5552424

Edited by M&A
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Interesting to see that Anthem is headed for the Cococay pier, not just hanging out off the island like all the other ships.

image.png.a3f80207baa4e1e97062cf275a32a3ba.png

yesterday at Coco Cay Explorer and Anthem ‘traded’ crew then Navigator arrived and they swapped more crew . They are waiting on the rest of the fleet including from Celebrity to have all the relevant nationalities on individual ships to start the repatriation sailings. One ship is going to Barbados to off load crew who are picking up charter flights. Anthem is going to sail to India , one ship is coming to Southampton etc etc etc . 
One logistical nightmare getting each crew nationality on the correct ship but all done with professionalism and aplomb

Edited by heatherb1958

1 hour ago, heatherb1958 said:

yesterday at Coco Cay Explorer and Anthem ‘traded’ crew then Navigator arrived and they swapped more crew . They are waiting on the rest of the fleet including from Celebrity to have all the relevant nationalities on individual ships to start the repatriation sailings. One ship is going to Barbados to off load crew who are picking up charter flights. Anthem is going to sail to India , one ship is coming to Southampton etc etc etc . 
One logistical nightmare getting each crew nationality on the correct ship but all done with professionalism and aplomb

Is this not the most mind boggling, thing one could ever imagine happening?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jmsnyc said:

It sure is. They must be so thankful that Coco Cay has a pier . In Sydney , Australia they had to swap crew with their luggage by using the tender boats !! Sydney port authority would not even let the two ships tie up to let them walk between the two ships and the seas are not calm outside of the harbour , been there . There was a post on social media showing several photos and the police making sure they left. 

10 hours ago, jmsnyc said:

Pretty much only way do it. Chartered Direct Flights out Barbados to Manila or by Ships. Ports/Countries all over closed or wont let Crew in, no exceptions. Carnival did same last Saturday with 18 ships parked within 3miles each other, transferred the Crew members ships left right after