RC to cut passengers numbers

The work "likely" jumps out at me... but then most poster here also say it's likely, but not a fact. But I would expect bookings to be down, so good excuse as to why.

Cruise ships are likely to be restricted to carrying fewer guests to allow for “more natural space” when cruising first re-starts after the Covid-19 pandemic, according to the boss of Royal Caribbean UK.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

It will be interesting to see how they decide which guests aren't allowed to sail to achieve this (for sailings that are booked at high occupancy levels).

I think that many of those sailings will automatically adjust downward close to final payment time when many will cancel.the next big wave of cancellations will come once a royal extends their CWC policy beyond Sept 1.

if they do have to cancel guests I would hope that they start from those that just recently booked and protect those that booked long ago. Last In First Out. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I would be surprised if ships are booked at full capacity and dont have a lot of open cabins. The ones I have booked sure do. High prices arent a big inducement to book. It's more like oh look we have 378 open cabins, let's put out a press statement saying it's a on purpose to protect pax.

Who here would be surprised ships arent booked full?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

It will be interesting to see how they decide which guests aren't allowed to sail to achieve this (for sailings that are booked at high occupancy levels).

Exactly. We have a B2B booked on Allure OCT. 2020. Oct 25 shows a few cabins available and the TA back to FLL sold out. Maybe a huge OBC to cancel and rebook 

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I think that many of those sailings will automatically adjust downward close to final payment time when many will cancel.the next big wave of cancellations will come once a royal extends their CWC policy beyond Sept 1.

if they do have to cancel guests I would hope that they start from those that just recently booked and protect those that booked long ago. Last In First Out. 

Maybe cancel every other cabin, let those that are left scramble to find new cabins. 6 feet between tables and have MDR open 24/7.  No fun chat or making friends in the DL.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

That's an easy one - those who got cheaper prices for their staterooms of course!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

IMO, as of a certain number of days before the cruise and if their passenger load maximum has been reached, they start wait-listing people.  Booked passengers who cancel, and depending on the passenger load at the time, RCCL either doesn't allow a new booking, or goes to the wait-list.

After all the "usual" cancellations, RCCL decides if they are underbooked for the "new normal" passenger load, and then put the cruise on sale for the wait-listers first, and then the general public.  

I'm 100% sure they will cut passengers. What I don't know is whether it will be a token cut so they can say they are doing something. Or a serious major cut in passengers. We'll see. I think they realize they can't wait for a vaccine... they have to get ships sailing before one is ready. They have to make changes for that to happen. What we don't know is how big those changes will be. 

I fully expect, at least at first that ships will have lower capacity.  And, I expect less ships will sail at first.   It will take time to get everything back up and running and there will be less crew too.  They can't be doubling up like a lot do now.

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Maybe cancel every other cabin, let those that are left scramble to find new cabins. 6 feet between tables and have MDR open 24/7.  No fun chat or making friends in the DL.

Lol,exactly... anti fun vacation....... no thanks

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Last I looked. No GS available on Allure Oct 25. 

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Exactly. We have a B2B booked on Allure OCT. 2020. Oct 25 shows a few cabins available and the TA back to FLL sold out. Maybe a huge OBC to cancel and rebook 

Moot point..Unfortunately I don’t see any cruises from the US this year unless this virus goes away completely. I’m booked on Oasis for October and bummed about it but I doubt ships will sail. Even if things seem stable the govt is probably going to overreact and ban large crowds for the foreseeable future. They already said there will be no fans in the stands for any sporting events in LA for the rest of the year. 

Their biggest challenge is actually going to come on the crew side. I would think most countries might be concerned about these conditions with a global pandemic going on. 

There are Chinese and other  crew that never have passenger above deck contact. There are other cleaners among them that are only allowed up in the middle of the night and then the deck workers that only come up when doing projects or repairs. Many of these reside in 6 bunk cabins on the lowest decks with only shared facilities available in each corridor. 

These conditions allow for an outbreak in crew areas even more easily than in passenger areas of the ships. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

We will see how full those two are after final payment comes around. If Royal would give me my money back before final payment, I would cancel my TA now. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're so looking forward to our Dec 19 cruise. We don't have any health-related concerns but more for the kids. Will Adventure Ocean still be open? Would they expect the kids to socially distance? My 9-yr old is one that loves meeting new kids and planning meet ups around the ship. She sure as heck doesn't want to hang out with just her parents for the week. If that is all cut out, that would be the deal breaker for us.