RC to cut passengers numbers

I could see them reducing capacity temporarily. Easy enough to to do on the early sailings as thise will most likely sail well below even their lower capacity target.

As far as which cabins.  It does make sense to eliminate inside and oceanviews.  Those cabins on decks 3 and 4 could easily be assigned to crew or as mentioned used as a quarantine area.  This alone would account for a significant portion of the reduvpced capacity.

I don’t think there is any need to have a space between cabins as long as the total capacity is reduced which will lead to reduced people in public venues which is the main goal.  The exception to that could be eliminating connecting cabins unless booked by the same family or finding a way to tightly seal them.  This means that only people currently booked in Insides and Oceanviews would need to be reassigned (upgraded)  to a different category, not that difficult to do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cb at sea said:

After ALL the adding cabins everywhere....turns out NOT to be such a wonderful idea.

No kidding.  It's ironic that Royal has been doing everything they can to make ships MORE densely packed.  Each "amping"/drydock has resulted in less public/common space, dozens more cabins, and hundreds more passengers.

• Like 2

I suspect many people will cancel and or not book so limiting passenger capacity may not be an issue.  

we are seemingly a select group of folks who still have the resources and the health to travel. So many people have no jobs, so that cruise vacation may not be in their near future

Plus many of my friends, who know we cruise often, have called me to tell me not to step foot on a cruise ship for the next 12 months. They tell me how dangerous it would be healthwise since a cruise ship is a “petri dish“ in their words. 

m

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

if they do have to cancel guests I would hope that they start from those that just recently booked and protect those that booked long ago. Last In First Out. 

16 hours ago, beardedladies said:

That's an easy one - those who got cheaper prices for their staterooms of course!

You are thinking logically. They will just cancel and blame it on an IT glitch.  

Dear Guests

Due to a glitch in our system, reservations for anyone over the age of 70 and those who booked under the KSF promotion have been deleted out of our system.  We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope that you will sail with us again in the near future.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, M&A said:

Too many places where you can't social distance,  it's going to be impossible on a cruise ship

Agree.  But there are endless posts here with ideas and thoughts on how it is going to happen.....

• Like 1

This obviously is just speculation.  Its only my dumb opinion.  My brother owns a restaurant in Cambridge MA.  He knows when/if he reopens,  the  social distancing will have to be adhered to. His floor plan can accommodate 24/4 top tables.  He knows he will have to remove at least half.  His profit margin will be negatively impacted for the foreseeable future.  

Because our society is NOT designed for this, the business model simply does not exist for this pandemic.  We are all making it up as we go along with life.  So, if he has to open at 50% maximum capacity.  One would assume this carries over to all business, simply to start over in a post pandemic business world.  

its as good as any guess from any expert simply because this is new to everyone.  However  silly my idea may be.  Chances are, I’m not too far off from what the actual situation may be.  

56 minutes ago, Penguin11 said:

This obviously is just speculation.  Its only my dumb opinion.  My brother owns a restaurant in Cambridge MA.  He knows when/if he reopens,  the  social distancing will have to be adhered to. His floor plan can accommodate 24/4 top tables.  He knows he will have to remove at least half.  His profit margin will be negatively impacted for the foreseeable future.  

Because our society is NOT designed for this, the business model simply does not exist for this pandemic.  We are all making it up as we go along with life.  So, if he has to open at 50% maximum capacity.  One would assume this carries over to all business, simply to start over in a post pandemic business world.  

its as good as any guess from any expert simply because this is new to everyone.  However  silly my idea may be.  Chances are, I’m not too far off from what the actual situation may be.  

I'll be interested to see if tables will be removed, why not just leave the tables there and only seat every other one?

2 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

I'll be interested to see if tables will be removed, why not just leave the tables there and only seat every other one?

Because very rude patrons will see the empty tables and complain for not being allowed to sit there. Sorta like the D+ complaining about the CL/SL. (I just had to say that. Boy I have missed those discussions. Lol). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, C Dog said:

No kidding.  It's ironic that Royal has been doing everything they can to make ships MORE densely packed.  Each "amping"/drydock has resulted in less public/common space, dozens more cabins, and hundreds more passengers.

Though even with adding all these Cabins/passengers ships still have lot more public space and larger Cabins then their ships did 20+ yrs ago

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Because very rude patrons will see the empty tables and complain for not being allowed to sit there. Sorta like the D+ complaining about the CL/SL. (I just had to say that. Boy I have missed those discussions. Lol). 

say what macaulay culkin GIF by Home AloneExcuse Me What GIF

Edited by molly361

I would love to get a glimpse into a ships business model to see what the profitability looks like at 50%, 75%, etc capacity.  Im pretty sure those ships werent built to sail with empty cabins and turn a profit.  Or at least not many empty cabins.   There are cost savings measures that play into that since you dont have as many passengers so you wouldnt need as much crew, food, etc, but there has to be a break even point.  Sounds like a web surfing expedition...

I would like to see it modeled out if Royal doubled the fare to sail their ships at 50% capacity.  Clearly the demand would be down at that point but I like the thought of paying twice as much to sail on a ship half full.  Solo supplement should be eliminated in this case . The loss of onboard revenue would be significant as that has increased dramatically over the past decade . 

• Thanks 1

Crew get the inside cabins to avoid sharing as they do now in crew quarters.

All guests have to book outside or balcony therefore they recoup some revenue. 
Alternate tables are set in the MDR, so you aren’t sitting next to people.

Take out every other sun lounger. 
Stop self serve buffets.  Save on food waste.

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, little britain said:

Crew get the inside cabins to avoid sharing as they do now in crew quarters.

All guests have to book outside or balcony therefore they recoup some revenue. 
Alternate tables are set in the MDR, so you aren’t sitting next to people.

Take out every other sun lounger. 
Stop self serve buffets.  Save on food waste.

Would love to see fewer sun loungers.  I have a bad knee and can't climb into the loungers if they are pushed up against other.   Luckily there are other areas of the ship ( just not anywhere near the pool) with fewer loungers. 

Fewer tables in the MDR would be great.  Sometimes the tables are so close, I might as well be at a table for 4 or 6.  Hate it!  

Rarely use the buffet, so self serve/staff serve is not any deal breaker.   

M

9 hours ago, Jabra said:

I would like to see it modeled out if Royal doubled the fare to sail their ships at 50% capacity.  Clearly the demand would be down at that point but I like the thought of paying twice as much to sail on a ship half full.  Solo supplement should be eliminated in this case . The loss of onboard revenue would be significant as that has increased dramatically over the past decade . 

From reading different threads here and on other sites, it seems like there are an awful lot of people that think prices are too high now. I know I would not want to pay much more than I do now. Judging by the number of sales the cruise lines have, it seems like they would be happy to have most cabins full. I really can't see cruises running at anything much less  occupancy than they have in the past

17 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I don’t think there is any need to have a space between cabins as long as the total capacity is reduced which will lead to reduced people in public venues which is the main goal.  

Was going to say something similar. Public areas are the main concern. Theatre, pool deck, dining rooms and bars.