Is Nautica Refurb June 2020 going ahead ?

Wondering if  Oceania's planned refurbishment of Nautica , which we understood was to occur in June 2020,  is still going ahead. 

From its scheduled  itineraries between July 2020 and June 2022,  it looks like no other time it could happen if not done next month.

PS I've  done some extensive searching and could not find a previous post with this question,  so please excuse me if this has already been asked 🙂

I am not privy to that info but my guess is that this project is very near to the bottom of their things to do and spend money on at the moment.

Not even sure that they will survive as a line and if they do, will they need/use the R ships. If the answer is yes to both, they can find the time to do it before she sails. I would not consider any future itinerary as written in stone now.

JMO.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I am not privy to that info but my guess is that this project is very near to the bottom of their things to do and spend money on at the moment.

Not even sure that they will survive as a line and if they do, will they need/use the R ships. If the answer is yes to both, they can find the time to do it before she sails. I would not consider any future itinerary as written in stone now.

JMO.

Yes - understand it's not really a pressing issue in the bleak scheme of things right now. We're trying to stay just a little optimistic though about our already booked June 2022 cruise.  Also thinking that maybe the smaller (R) ships might  be the more popular ones going forward, and if so,  completing the refurb plan on this last ship in their OceaniaNEXT plan might be good. Just a thought.

Edited by the_travel_locks
unfinished sentence
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, the_travel_locks said:

We're trying to stay just a little optimistic though about our already booked June 2022 cruise.

I understand. I think we’ll be a lot “smarter” in 6-8 months from now 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I understand. I think we’ll be a lot “smarter” in 6-8 months from now 🙂

I hope we all be a lot smarter six months from now. 😉

Edited by CintiPam

11 hours ago, Paulchili said:

JMO.

Agree ++ while the R ships were acquired on favorable financial terms years ago, they are probably the least efficient to operate now.Very cloudy future.

13 hours ago, the_travel_locks said:

Also thinking that maybe the smaller (R) ships might  be the more popular ones going forward, and if so,  completing the refurb plan on this last ship in their OceaniaNEXT plan might be good. Just a thought.

I don't think the majority shares that thought. Some think they will cull those ships first. 

28 minutes ago, ORV said:

I don't think the majority shares that thought. Some think they will cull those ships first. 

+1

I could easily see 2021 cruises being revamped, 2022 also depending upon bookings. 

Not sure they want to spend the cash right now.  Kind of a damned if you do (using valuable cash) and damned if you don’t (who wants to sale on a ship that skipped dry dock).  Another factor is I believe some/most/all of the dry docks are closed right now.

I certainly hope that they proceed with the refurbishment.  No doubt a challenging decision pitting the desire to limit the cash drain by curbing capital expenditure against the need for the ship to be enhanced to the same standard as the rest of the fleet.

Nautica is currently still docked in Dubai.  The drydock is scheduled for June 8-21 in Marseille.  Reports indicate that the French dockyards are slowly returning to operation, but possibly with reduced capacity due to Covid-19 restrictions. 

25 minutes ago, rialannah said:

I certainly hope that they proceed with the refurbishment.  No doubt a challenging decision pitting the desire to limit the cash drain by curbing capital expenditure against the need for the ship to be enhanced to the same standard as the rest of the fleet.

What if they decide or circumstances will dictate that the R ships will no longer be part of O fleet after the crisis?

Why spend big bucks on something that you are not sure that you’ll keep.

Princess knew for some time that they will be selling Ocean (?) Princess to Oceania which became Sirena.

They haven’t spent a penny on her upkeep for a long time for that reason.

If O decides to keep Nautica - and I hope that they will - they can always refurbish her as they slowly resume sailings and start earning some money to do that.

• Like 1

We are booked on a September 14 Nautica sailing and will/would be onboard if the planes fly and the ship sails.

Will wait and if/when it is ‘Officially’ canceled by O, we will take the 125% FCC and book the August 26, 2021 30-day Southampton R.T. on Sirena.

On 5/7/2020 at 5:36 AM, Noxequifans said:

Agree ++ while the R ships were acquired on favorable financial terms years ago, they are probably the least efficient to operate now.Very cloudy future.

I would think they are the most likely to profit 

1.  burn less fuel, ( huge expense)

2 Require less crew

3 easier to keep up,

4 require a smaller passenger load to break even

5 are cheaper  to berth ( many ports charge by Length and or tonnage)

6 less food service requirements and stores

7 already have a large loyal following who prefer then over large

Just  thinking.....logically

• Like 2

As to the future of the "R" ships, I'm torn.  We enjoy them although we can't decide whether we prefer the "R" or the "O" ships (and probably will never be able to enjoy the "A" ships).  But there are many Oceania regulars who prefer the "R" ships.

It's true that they are a lot older now than they were when Oceania started picking them up.  But we were last on one (Sirena) in the fall of 2017 and certainly didn't find it decrepit ... true, it had just gone through a very expensive "renovation".

As one who knows very little about these things, Dan's arguments seem -- to me -- to be on point.

Mura

Don’t the “O” ships have a significantly higher percentage of cabins with balconies than the “R” ships?  I thought that cabins with balconies were mentioned by FDR as preferable for sailing in the days of the coronavirus in his recent interview.

14 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Don’t the “O” ships have a significantly higher percentage of cabins with balconies than the “R” ships?  I thought that cabins with balconies were mentioned by FDR as preferable for sailing in the days of the coronavirus in his recent interview.

Only a former attorney would not miss that detail - it went right past me 😀

All I wanted to hear was that they'll have enough money to pay me back and still stay in business past this crisis.

• Haha 1

If the refurbishment of Nautica is not done, do you think the prices advertised at the moment will be reduced? Without the refit, I would think carefully about changing our August 2021 cruise to another Oceania ship if the price was not lowered significantly. Nautica was looking rather tired last time we sailed on her. 

On 5/8/2020 at 9:54 PM, Paulchili said:

What if they decide or circumstances will dictate that the R ships will no longer be part of O fleet after the crisis?

Why spend big bucks on something that you are not sure that you’ll keep.

Princess knew for some time that they will be selling Ocean (?) Princess to Oceania which became Sirena.

They haven’t spent a penny on her upkeep for a long time for that reason.

If O decides to keep Nautica - and I hope that they will - they can always refurbish her as they slowly resume sailings and start earning some money to do that.

IMHO I think Oceania will continue to use the R ships..they are very popular..

Jancruz1

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

IMHO I think Oceania will continue to use the R ships..they are very popular..

Jancruz1

I hope that they will continue to use them as Nautica along with Marina are our 2 favorite Oceania  ships.

What I meant is that this may not be the time to spend the money on a refurbishment as there are no sailing planned for some time.

As sailings resume slowly and there is a demand for the R ships, Nautica can then be refurbished before she sails again.

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I hope that they will continue to use them as Nautica along with Marina are our 2 favorite Oceania  ships.

What I meant is that this may not be the time to spend the money on a refurbishment as there are no sailing planned for some time.

As sailings resume slowly and there is a demand for the R ships, Nautica can then be refurbished before she sails again.

Right now shipyards are closed no one to refurb

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

On 5/11/2020 at 2:12 AM, Jancruz said:

Right now shipyards are closed no one to refurb

Jancruz1

Well, it is heading somewhere!   The Nautica and the Norwegian Jade left Port Rashid together a couple of days ago and are both now sailing towards the Red Sea and the Suez Canal so they should be entering the Med in a week or so...🤔

Edited by Jayayeff

8 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

Well, it is heading somewhere!   The Nautica and the Norwegian Jade left Port Rashid together a couple of days ago and are both now sailing towards the Red Sea and the Suez Canal so they should be entering the Med in a week or so...🤔

Could  be  a number of reasons  she is on the move

Taking some crew home to India

getting out  since the number of cases of Covid  has spiked in the past  few weeks in Dubai

Less expensive  dockage fees  elsewhere

Only time will tell