Next Batter Up----Pier Runners

Pinboy

29 minutes ago, shipshape sam said:

'fun' to watch or that 'shows them'

In my post a few back from yours , the above quote would have been perfect and fitting if they left him behind.

Very easy to tell by their actions and body language if someone is truly sorry for being late or just being a jerk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

In my post a few back from yours , the above quote would have been perfect and fitting if they left him behind.

Very easy to tell by their actions and body language if someone is truly sorry for being late or just being a jerk.

Having never seen someone miss a ship at a port of call, I can only take your word for it in reference to body language.  

I also have thought about the issue of, I guess, hanging around watching the last stragglers getting on board.  I can try to think of a similar situation......ahh yes... those who are constantly late for getting back on the bus on an excursion.    Now thinking about it would it be 'fun' to have the bus driver shut the door and though not having pulled away, refuse to let them on, even though this is the 2nd time on this excursion they have been the last to return, making everyone else sit there on the bus?  

I think there are always going to be jerks that take advantage of situations, thinking or knowing others will still help them out when they could use a lesson in following the rules.  Yeah, maybe the cruise lines should, in fact, create a ' zero tolerance' policy that if a rule is not followed to the 'T', the offender(s) will be punished for all to see.  Some I would like to see are the saving of tables, the saving of seats, the hogging of pool loungers, the touching of food and not taking it, not washing hands after going to bathroom, taking of cheap give away items, hoarding them, so less other fellow passengers do not get one of the cheap give aways, and many more if I spent the time thinking about it.  May have to do this on our next cruise while sipping my 4:30 Martini. Nah, I enjoy my Martini's and friends and life is short.

Just to be clear, it does tick me off when people are rude and selfish and have no sense of how they are imposing on others by being oblivious as to their actions.  I just don't see wishing someone to miss the ship when as I mention on previous post, I have never seen someone miss the ship(never hung around watching for it to happen either) and cannot say that waiting for some extra period of time has forced me to change any behavior due to our ship leaving an hour later than originally listed as departure time.

" I can try to think of a similar situation......ahh yes... those who are constantly late for getting back on the bus on an excursion." Shipshape Sam

I can think of two bus tours that I was on

London, England, spent a week in London before embarking on a 2016 Celebrity cruise.  Bus tour which went to Windsor Castle.  Buses park below and you have to climb the stairs, walk through the town etc.  When a person did not arrive back in time, driver phoned the office.  Waited the ten minutes required and we left.  No idea how the person got back as there were no taxis that I could see.

Istanbul - (Equinox 2015) - ship excursion - stopped at the spice market.  A couple were late.  Driver again phoned office and we left ten minutes later.  Although there were plenty of taxis that they could have taken back to the ship.

They need to do this more often on the ship bus excursions.  Some people just think they are entitled.  

On an RC cruise once the ship was very late leaving Jamaica...We were dining with the Captain later and a fellow guest asked the reason for the delay and he said they had been waiting for a guest to return. He explained that normally they wouldn’t wait but the lady had left her young child in the children’s club....Another member of staff later filled in that the missing passenger had finally arrived back with loads of shopping and was surprised that staff were less than happy with her. 

On an RC in the Med we also had a frequent ‘later returner’ on two coach trips. He was travelling with his wife and two children. At each stop the wife and children would follow the tour and he would disappear somewhere...At each stop everyone would be on board the guide would ask the wife where her husband was and she would shrug her shoulders....As we were about to leave Athens we saw the lady and children arrive (late) at the gangplank and we could see her husband far away...As the lady and children boarded they started removing the gangplank...it wasn’t until the ropes were coming off that he finally started to run! I often wonder if the lady would have preferred him to have missed the ship...

I have watched the late guests running the pier and it makes me really worried about ending up in that same position. I can see how it could happen. On a cruise back in 2006 we were at Ocho Rios. There had just been an overnight time change and we made sure to alter our watches. We decided to get a taxi to a beach we knew of and the taxi driver gave us a price for a return and arranged to come back for us at a set time. Then he really confused us by asking were we on Eastern Standard, daylight saving, Jamaica time, ship time or his time??!!! 🤯 😕 We decided the safest bet was 'his time', we checked his watch (which did not match our newly changed time) and arranged he would come back in 3 hours. He did and all was OK. But we had originally thought we would go for 4 hours but were so worried about whether we had the right time we would probably have not been able to relax

Lots of videos of pier runners on You Tube, I get a kick out of the people watching and yelling comments to them.   One of the most common is "Run Forest Run"  I've seen them many times on cruises.   

There was a woman a couple of years ago who sued Celebrity because they did not wait for her.  Her main complaint was that she called the ship and said she would be late.  They didn't wait.  Don't know the result of the law suit. 

Edited by dkjretired

I do remember once seeing a man being left behind apparently on purpose.  He and his wife had been arguing throughout the cruise, which we saw because their table was adjacent to ours. He must’ve had it with her because at one port where there is a bar very close to where the ship docks, he went there and sat by himself as the ship pulled away, and he waved goodbye.  We could see him sitting there unconcerned, so I presume he made the choice to stay behind.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Having never seen someone miss a ship at a port of call, I can only take your word for it in reference to body language.  

I also have thought about the issue of, I guess, hanging around watching the last stragglers getting on board.  I can try to think of a similar situation......ahh yes... those who are constantly late for getting back on the bus on an excursion.    Now thinking about it would it be 'fun' to have the bus driver shut the door and though not having pulled away, refuse to let them on, even though this is the 2nd time on this excursion they have been the last to return, making everyone else sit there on the bus?  

I think there are always going to be jerks that take advantage of situations, thinking or knowing others will still help them out when they could use a lesson in following the rules.  Yeah, maybe the cruise lines should, in fact, create a ' zero tolerance' policy that if a rule is not followed to the 'T', the offender(s) will be punished for all to see.  Some I would like to see are the saving of tables, the saving of seats, the hogging of pool loungers, the touching of food and not taking it, not washing hands after going to bathroom, taking of cheap give away items, hoarding them, so less other fellow passengers do not get one of the cheap give aways, and many more if I spent the time thinking about it.  May have to do this on our next cruise while sipping my 4:30 Martini. Nah, I enjoy my Martini's and friends and life is short.

Just to be clear, it does tick me off when people are rude and selfish and have no sense of how they are imposing on others by being oblivious as to their actions.  I just don't see wishing someone to miss the ship when as I mention on previous post, I have never seen someone miss the ship(never hung around watching for it to happen either) and cannot say that waiting for some extra period of time has forced me to change any behavior due to our ship leaving an hour later than originally listed as departure time.

Agree and have been on several excursions where people were late. Ironic that on a couple of cruises we were with the same people on excursions who were late more than once. On one cruise there was a couple who were late to excursions and getting back on ship.

7 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

On one cruise there was a couple who were late to excursions and getting back on ship.

These are the people that prompted my post. They are the same ones who :

Are the loudest in the dining room or bar , hog chaise lounges for hours , shove, yes , shove in line at the buffet, taste food when they " think " no one is watching, walk in late to the show and head to the front row ,  plus , probably lots of other examples, but, I'm getting toooo uptight writing this.

• Haha 1

Only had a problem once....We had a late evening departure time so took an after-dinner excursion through the ship for local entertainment.   The dancers really went on far too long and was only entertaining for about an hour.  Some of us went outside to kind of hurry the tour director to shorten her 'catch up' with the dancers and bar owner but she totally disregarded the subtle hint to get us back to the ship.  Finally we were on our way, late of course.  We were seated in front of the bus beside the director when her phone went off 3 times...she wouldn't answer twice and on the 3rd call 'fibbed' to the ship that our bus was 'tied up in traffic'...!  We all had to run for the ship when we arrived and the crew and officers at the pier were pretty annoyed....at us...not the director.  Not sure anyone let the excursion staff know what had happened but we're now very careful with our choice of tours even if ship sponsored.

Edited by oceangoer2

Interesting stories!!  When we cruise and take private tours, we typically advise we would like to be back 2 hours before departure.  That has worked very well!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 1:06 AM, DENIE said:

Interesting stories!!  When we cruise and take private tours, we typically advise we would like to be back 2 hours before departure.  That has worked very well!

We find a Tour Guide as soon as we get off the ship --- much cheaper than booking onboard.

If you get off the ship a little later than most , the tour prices come down very quickly .

We tell the Guide-- No stopping at their cousin's store for spices , tshirts  or Island made jewelry .

Learned that the hard way when a Guide brought us to buy coffee from Juan Valdez , the " Real ??? " Juan Valdez .

What do you do with 5 lbs of coffee smelling up your stateroom ??? 

4 hours ago, Pinboy said:

We find a Tour Guide as soon as we get off the ship --- much cheaper than booking onboard.

If you get off the ship a little later than most , the tour prices come down very quickly .

We tell the Guide-- No stopping at their cousin's store for spices , tshirts  or Island made jewelry .

Learned that the hard way when a Guide brought us to buy coffee from Juan Valdez , the " Real ??? " Juan Valdez .

What do you do with 5 lbs of coffee smelling up your stateroom ??? 

We wouldn't have bought any. 🤣

Edited by davekathy

We were on Sitmar's Fairsky in 1989 when the same young couple missed the ship sailing away from St. Maarten and St. Thomas. A pilot boat brought them out to the ship and both times they had to climb up a rope ladder to get back on the ship. Those were the days when times for various events were right on the dot.

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

We wouldn't have bought any. 🤣

You are smarter than me--

But, but, but, the Guide , an " honest ?? " man told us the the guy is the " real " Juan Valdez .

What could be better than that, plus, he told us that the price was excellent because , blah , blah, blah.

Lesson learned .

10 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

But, but, but, the Guide , an " honest ?? " man told us the the guy is the " real " Juan Valdez .

What could be better than that, plus, he told us that the price was excellent because , blah , blah, blah.

Lesson learned .

Not smarter, I just don't feel obligated or pressured to buy everything someone is trying to sell me. Psst, wanna buy a real Rolex? 🤣

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

Lesson learned .

Be suspicious of guides trying to get you to buy Juan Valdez coffee during an Alaska cruise! :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Be suspicious of guides trying to get you to buy Juan Valdez coffee during an Alaska cruise! :classic_biggrin:

Exxon Valdez, perhaps, but not Juan.

I know, I know.

I'll go sit in my timeout corner.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2020 at 8:24 AM, cruisestitch said:

I do remember once seeing a man being left behind apparently on purpose.  He and his wife had been arguing throughout the cruise, which we saw because their table was adjacent to ours. He must’ve had it with her because at one port where there is a bar very close to where the ship docks, he went there and sat by himself as the ship pulled away, and he waved goodbye.  We could see him sitting there unconcerned, so I presume he made the choice to stay behind.

I guess better that than the way some domestic issues end up...

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

I just don't feel obligated or pressured to buy everything someone is trying to sell me

LOL--  Same here- But, the Guide told me . Juan even shook my hand and called me " Pal " and invited us to come see him again next time we come to Cartegena ( ?? ). He must have graduated from the Wharton School of Business which is similar to the Ivey Business School in London , Ontario.

3 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Me too!! I used to work for Starbucks and I adore the smell of coffee. (I did even before working there, which is why I was so happy there!)

They say that one of the symptoms of COVID-19 is the loss of the sense of smell. I now get double the enjoyment from the scent of coffee wafting over me twice daily as I prepare my morning coffee and my afternoon latte.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1