Next Batter Up----Pier Runners

Pinboy

2 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Latte in Ottawa ? Or, does Tim's sell it ?

Sometimes from Starbucks, but normally I make it at home. I have both a proper espresso machine that I've had for 15 years now as well as a Nespresso machine that makes a decent espresso.

Another train story...

DW and I were in Rome on a Civitavecchia  port stop. I just HAD to get one more cup of gelato at a fabulous place near the Pantheon. No problem, we'll just catch the express bus to the Rome Termini train station. Wait at the bus stop, 5 locals go by, no express bus. Finally, we gave up and caught the next local bus. After about 15 stops, we got to Termini. Still doing OK on time. We needed to get to the platform for the Civitavecchia train, which happened to be all the way at the back of Termini. We made the train, which was of course also the slow local.

After several stops, we got to the Civitavecchia train station and ran out of the front gate like maniacs to look for the Princess shuttle bus. DW was trying to run wearing sandals, so I heard some interesting expletives directed my way.  I saw the shuttle  bus driver at the bottom of the hill near the end of the cruise ship dock, locking up the bus and lighting a cigarette while walking away. I screamed down at him, and he fortunately took pity on us, unlocked the bus, let us on and headed for the ship about a 1/2 mile away. On the way to the ship we caught up with a family of 4 running to the same ship, and to our dismay the bus stopped and let them on. When we finally reached the ship, the crew was in the process of dismantling the gangway, but were kind enough to let us all on. I gave the bus driver a ridiculously large tip.

Our next port stop was Naples. Since I like being married to DW, at that stop and the 100 or so we've been to thereafter, we've been back on the ship a minimum of an hour before all aboard time..

• Like 2

during Hurricane Sandy (2012)  we were docked in Curacao and the Captain  on Carnival Conquest  Jazz Charter made the announcement that we would be departing at 4 pm instead of 5 pm ( to beat the storm heading back to Florida ) prior to having the ship cleared by Customs to disembark for shore excursions and shopping  at 0800 am...ironically , that moved up the Sail Away Lido Deck concert featuring Will Downing from 4 pm to 3 pm ..all 3400 Jazz Fans were back onboard & accounted for by 230 pm so we actually sailed at 3 pm 

the storm was so turbulent the schedule concerts that evening were cancelled and guest stayed in our cabins and watch CNN reporting on the damage that Sandy was causing up and down the East Coast and the resulting Flight cancellations out of MIA & FLL airports...we were lucky because the flights westbound were on schedule 

The lesson learned was that the Promoter scheduled 3 pm Sail Away Lido Deck concerts with the most popular Jazz Artists on days we are in Port ,for future Jazz Charters, so we never have to worry about last minute runners back to the Ship

2 hours ago, taxatty said:

Another train story...

DW and I were in Rome on a Civitavecchia  port stop. I just HAD to get one more cup of gelato at a fabulous place near the Pantheon.

Della Palma???

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You can use it to hide the smell of your drugs.  😉

Cholesterol and Blood Pressure pills don't have an odor .

I'll bet 99.84 % of CC " Members " can verify -- No odor on these " babies " .

2 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

What about their medicinal weed? 😉

My medicinal weed is called Pizza , Chinese food, or a hot Smoked Meat sandwich (  Pastrami in US doesn't compare ) ---- depending on the day. 

• Haha 1

My DH and I returned from a private tour with friends, at the port in Bilbao, Spain.  As I went out on our aft balcony, my DH asked where my pink rain jacket was, and did I leave it in the car.  I told him that it was left in the trunk of the vehicle, and that the SUV was still there, as I could see two drivers talking with one another.  So, my DH sprinted down the stairs from deck 11 and said that he needed to get my rain jacket, as the driver was still there.  At first he was told no, but he assured them that he could do it very quickly, not causing any issues with the ship.  He was told to go, but to run back to the ship.  He complied, as I watched the entire escapade, as he received cheers from the crew, and brought the jacket to me before the ship closed(gangway being lifted) for the last passenger.  Needless to say, the Edge TA crew were right on target with allowing this to happen, as he had five minutes.  All my DH said to me was "please do not do this again, as I am older now, so they may not let me off the ship the next time!"  The two drivers were husband and wife, so that is the reason they remained talking so long...

Edited by Lastdance
Edge TA, 2019 to Europe!
  • Like 1

My son, when he was young, would want to go up to the top of the ship to watch the "scurriers" rush back onto the ship as the gang plank was being pulled up.  We would grab a snack from the buffet then head out on deck.  He's now a 1LT in the Army and knows that if you're just "on time", you're actually late.

On 5/25/2020 at 3:33 PM, taxatty said:

Another train story...

DW and I were in Rome on a Civitavecchia  port stop. I just HAD to get one more cup of gelato at a fabulous place near the Pantheon. No problem, we'll just catch the express bus to the Rome Termini train station. Wait at the bus stop, 5 locals go by, no express bus. Finally, we gave up and caught the next local bus. After about 15 stops, we got to Termini. Still doing OK on time. We needed to get to the platform for the Civitavecchia train, which happened to be all the way at the back of Termini. We made the train, which was of course also the slow local.

After several stops, we got to the Civitavecchia train station and ran out of the front gate like maniacs to look for the Princess shuttle bus. DW was trying to run wearing sandals, so I heard some interesting expletives directed my way.  I saw the shuttle  bus driver at the bottom of the hill near the end of the cruise ship dock, locking up the bus and lighting a cigarette while walking away. I screamed down at him, and he fortunately took pity on us, unlocked the bus, let us on and headed for the ship about a 1/2 mile away. On the way to the ship we caught up with a family of 4 running to the same ship, and to our dismay the bus stopped and let them on. When we finally reached the ship, the crew was in the process of dismantling the gangway, but were kind enough to let us all on. I gave the bus driver a ridiculously large tip.

Our next port stop was Naples. Since I like being married to DW, at that stop and the 100 or so we've been to thereafter, we've been back on the ship a minimum of an hour before all aboard time..

I only hope that gelato shop was the Lindt Chocolate shop about a block up the the front of the Pantheon...  That place is almost worth missing the ship for......

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 11:29 AM, marieps said:

Thanks to the OP for an entertaining (and happily distracting) forum.

We could use something new at this point.

I tried earlier today, but no " bites ".

Is it within the guidelines to play " What's My Line " if someone starts a thread and we try to guess their occupation or former occupation if they are retired ? 

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

We could use something new at this point.

I tried earlier today, but no " bites ".

Is it within the guidelines to play " What's My Line " if someone starts a thread and we try to guess their occupation or former occupation if they are retired ? 

Not on this forum. Try the forum called "Floataway Lounge".  

• Thanks 1

On my British Isles Cruise, I had organized a private tour in Belfast with others in my Roll Call.  I told the driver/tour guide our time we had to get back.  He kept showing us the sites.  I told him again the time, he replied my boss knows the Princess staff and he had been in contact with his boss.  When we arrived at the dock, his boss was talking to Princess staff.  We were the last to board with minutes to spare before the gangway went up.

Edited by phabric

We actually witnessed a young lady miss the ship a few years ago.

I am sure it was due to the change in time.

It was really sickening to see her break down and cry as the ship departed.

All she had the swimsuit she was wearing and a towel.

Everyone was on the decks yelling at her and making rude comments.

We learned a very important lesson that day, listen to announcements keep track of your time.

We don't want to the one.

1 hour ago, m8zenblue said:

We actually witnessed a young lady miss the ship a few years ago.

I am sure it was due to the change in time.

It was really sickening to see her break down and cry as the ship departed.

All she had the swimsuit she was wearing and a towel.

Everyone was on the decks yelling at her and making rude comments.

We learned a very important lesson that day, listen to announcements keep track of your time.

We don't want to the one.

And read your Celebrity Today as all the times are published in it.  For some, take that page with you in case you forget. 

• Thanks 1

At Grand Cayman on our 2nd cruise onboard the brand new Summit in 2001we were on our balcony enjoying the sailaway when we noticed a small motor boat heading towards the ship at full throttle.....closer and closer it came until it slid up next to us directly below our balcony and 2 people got up from the boat and were forced to jump from the boat to the ship with 2 X employees helping them make the jump...…...thankfully they appeared to be young & healthy so made the jump easily....I can't imagine having to do that.... but I bet the owner of the motor boat wound up with a good pay day that day. 

A friend of ours taught us to take a picture of the port agents name and info from the daily in the event something happened and also a picture of the return by board.  Provides a reference should you start to say was that 4 or 5?  

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 12:35 PM, MISTER 67 said:

We were on Sitmar's Fairsky in 1989 when the same young couple missed the ship sailing away from St. Maarten and St. Thomas. A pilot boat brought them out to the ship and both times they had to climb up a rope ladder to get back on the ship. Those were the days when times for various events were right on the dot.

I also remember a woman climbing a rope ladder to get back on the Sky Princess somewhere in the Caribbean in January 1990. She was also fined and was not seen around the ship for the rest of the cruise.

We were n a Carnival Ship.  Yes, Carnival and loved many cruises with them.  We were docked in Cozumel.  The ship was scheduled to leave at midnight.   We were sitting on our balcony to watch the sail away and seen two drunk couples holding each other up as they walked down the pier toward the ship.  It was now midnight.   They just staggered along with no care in the world.   The crew put a spotlight on them and they acted as if F You,  pointed at the ship, gave their one finger salute and stood their laughing.   They then just stumbled along, and stopped to browse in the store windows along the way.   The captain waited for those A holes.   If I were him I would have pulled up the gang plank when they were about 10 ft away.

We inquired about the incident and were told that if  they did that they would have been given a bad mark on their performance, responsibility, safety, and etc of the guests. 

It has been about 6 years since our last cruise on Carnival and with all of their problems and other policies, and changes I don’t think we will be sailing with them again even though we are a their highest loyalty level. 

They are what they are and promote, a fun ship.   We had our fun but now desire a better atmosphere and more reserved level of sailing 

Our only regret is that if we started sailing with X when we started to cruise we would be Zenith.   At this time in our life and cruising future based on our past cruising history we will never reach it and have no desire to chase after it .

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched