I Received My Refund Today

I received a refund today for my cancelled June 15th Empress NE/Canada cruise.  I don't have any idea if it made a difference or not, but I contacted American Express on 4/24 and they issued a temporary credit and now two weeks later I received the credit from Royal.

So, it took about 4 weeks from the time I had my TA request a refund to the time I actually received it.  Thank you to Royal if you processed the refund promptly and thank you to American Express if your intervention helped to speed things up.

Regardless, I'm happy.

Edited by mek
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mek said:

I received a refund today for my cancelled June 15th Empress NE/Canada cruise.  I don't have any idea if it made a difference or not, but I contacted American Express on 4/24 and they issued a temporary credit and now two weeks later I received the credit from Royal.

So, it took about 4 weeks from the time I had my TA request a refund to the time I actually received it.  Thank you to Royal if you processed the refund promptly and thank you to American Express if your intervention helped to speed things up.

Regardless, I'm happy.

I really do believe using a CC company to dispute the charge helped to facilitate a more timely refund IMVHO.

1 hour ago, mek said:

Regardless, I'm happy.

32 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I really do believe using a CC company to dispute the charge helped to facilitate a more timely refund IMVHO.

I, too, received a refund today for my cancelled May 18 Empress NE/Canada cruise.  The only entity that I contacted was Royal Caribbean, by clicking on the "refund" link in the email that they sent in cancelling the cruise.

Cancelled on April 1.  Received full refund, correct to the penny,  on May 8.  38 calendar days.

• Like 1

A few weeks ago people were posting that if you did this you would be blackballed by the cruise company and the credit card company would revoke your account because of fraud.     Guess not.   LOL.

Glad it worked out for you, mek.  We did the same for our Celebrity cruise, also with prompt results.

That is good to hear some positive news.  

I have heard nothing at all on my 5/31 Harmony cruise cancellation...refund supposed to be coming for that one.   Also nothing for my Grandeur 6/11 N/E cancelled cruise...FCC supposed to be coming from that one.  

Edited by island lady

30 minutes ago, mafig said:

A few weeks ago people were posting that if you did this you would be blackballed by the cruise company and the credit card company would revoke your account because of fraud.     Guess not.   LOL.

Glad it worked out for you, mek.  We did the same for our Celebrity cruise, also with prompt results.

I never believed any of that.  I still have another cruise booked for November with Royal - time will tell what happens with that one and expect Royal will want to keep me as a future customer.

My situation for the June 15th cruise was I booked it on 2/28 and made final payment on 3/10 - just before the s*#t hit the fan.  My credit card payment for the deposit and the balance was due on 4/27 and I was basically going to have to pay for something that had already been cancelled - a little different than if I had put it on a revolving charge or had made payment months ago.  That was one of the reasons I contacted Amex. There was never any question of fraud - the CC company advised me to handle it the way I did.

Edited by mek

Agree...all very frustrating.  

I am getting bombarded with advertising emails to book a new cruise. Too bad they don't put their effort into refunds instead.  😞 

I am also getting emails the last few weeks asking me to pay off my next cruise (Radiance Alaska 8/14) of which final payment is not until 5/16.   Now...who thinks the Alaska cruises are really going to happen this year?  😮 

So what they want is me to do is to let them have use of my 7K with no real idea of when they will refund it back to me once they actually announce the cruise is cancelled shortly thereafter.  Yeah...nice.  😒

• Like 1

I received my refund for an April cruise today. Took 30 business days. Too bad it wasn't a total refund. Missing $400. TA called Royal who said to give them another week. Trying to be patient but it's annoying to get emails to book another cruise. Not going to happen until I get my total refund.

3 hours ago, mek said:

Regardless, I'm happy.

Why contact the credit card company so soon? Looks like only about 2 weeks after your TA cancelled it.

Your TA surely told you that Royal said it would take 30 days

Edited by cruisinfanatic
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

I received my refund for an April cruise today. Took 30 business days. Too bad it wasn't a total refund. Missing $400. TA called Royal who said to give them another week. Trying to be patient but it's annoying to get emails to book another cruise. Not going to happen until I get my total refund.

I received the refund in 3 transactions - totaled up they were for 100%.

7 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Why contact the credit card company so soon? Looks like only about 2 weeks after your TA cancelled it

Because I had just booked the cruise the end of February and made final payment on 3/10.  I pay my CC balance off each month and the payment was due the end of April.  By then I knew the cruise was cancelled and I was getting a refund.  Pay them so they can turn around and reimburse me????  No way.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

Yeah my refund was in increments but all on the same day. 

$1000

$176

$250

Weird but it credited. 

1 hour ago, mlmc424 said:

Still waiting on a refund from a March 29 cruise☹️

I’m just waiting for FCC from my March 28th cruise.  I’ll wait for that one before I start complaining about my May 10th one.  Grrrr!!

• Like 1

I finally got my last refund May 6!

All of mine were from cruises/cruise planner purchases that I had cancelled. Happy I had refundable deposits for Nov 2020 and Jan 2021. I cancelled the fully paid May one when I was in 50% refund stage. I called and am supposed to get FCC for the other half of the cruise fare.

Only money of mine Royal/Celebrity now have is 3 NRDs - Sep 2021 lifted and shifted from Sep 2020 (had a fantastic price after 5 repricings so happy to retain that), Nov 2021, and Feb 2022.

Edited by twins_to_alaska
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, mek said:

I received the refund in 3 transactions - totaled up they were for 100%.

Mine was three transactions as well: $1000, $250, and whatever the remainder was less than $250.

On 5/8/2020 at 2:29 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I, too, received a refund today for my cancelled May 18 Empress NE/Canada cruise.  The only entity that I contacted was Royal Caribbean, by clicking on the "refund" link in the email that they sent in cancelling the cruise.

Cancelled on April 1.  Received full refund, correct to the penny,  on May 8.  38 calendar days.

Used the same process to cancel a May 14 cruise 2 days earlier(March 30) and still waiting, 41 days. Trouble is nobody knows what is the process for cueing the refunds. Just need to be patient!

4 minutes ago, zebra36 said:

Used the same process to cancel a May 14 cruise 2 days earlier(March 30) and still waiting, 41 days. Trouble is nobody knows what is the process for cueing the refunds. Just need to be patient!

Well, I cancelled my May 4 Empress cruise and May 11 Empress cruise and June 7 Oasis cruise at the same time.  

Only the May 18 has been refunded.  

😉 

7 hours ago, sellwingri said:

I’m just waiting for FCC from my March 28th cruise.  I’ll wait for that one before I start complaining about my May 10th one.  Grrrr!!

Just got FCC today from May 10 cruise.  Still waiting for FCC from March 15 cruise.  I should be happy, but not thrilled. We requested a refund for the May 10 cruise, not the FCC we got.