Are Travel Bubbles The Way To Get Cruising Going Again?

york survey

This is the first new topic I have ever done so please be kind.

To me the two big problems for the industry at the moment are:

1. Which countries will permit them to dock

2. How do you get passengers to the home port

So it's interesting that a number of countries are now looking at "travel bubbles" as a way to help get tourists back and control the potential spread of the virus.

Australia/New Zealand are well advanced with the idea which would permit passengers from these countries to travel freely in their bubble. So putting a ship in this bubble and only selling to local residents could be a good way to start the industry up again and reduce capacity. - Interesting that Solstice is still in the Far East

UK is now talking on the same lines. Permitting free movement between UK, Ireland and France but quarantine for other area, So putting a ship in Southampton or even Dublin would make some sense - Interesting that Infinity has just sailed for the UK

Appreciate that none of this would help US residents but what if the US did the same with Canada and some of the Caribbean,  most of us would have somewhere to go

Far from Ideal but it might be time for the cruise lines to think out of the box. I'm Sure they will want to do something soon to help their bottom line but more impotently to prove cruising is SAFE

Stuart

Edited by Host Kat
Duplicate threads merged.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's a likely solution; however, the largest market, the US consumer, will be locked out for an extended period as we do not have this under control and we are showing signs that we might not ever get it under control.  There are too many people that are incapable of being as concerned about others as they are for themselves.  We do not have a universal mask policy.  We have people protesting with guns in our capitol buildings. I can certainly see most countries not letting US citizens/residents until we can demonstrate we have some more control than we currently have.

• Like 21

I love the travel bubble idea and despite what some views may be about the progress in the US, I think it could work if implemented properly.  In our area (of the US), we have begun living again (in a phased in and safe way filled with precautions) so we are not experiencing some of the unrest that others perceive to be occurring.  

As you have described travel bubbles between UK, Ireland, France, I could see something similar happening here, only regionally.  For example, the south east might allow travel between Georgia, Florida, Alabama, South Carolina.  All have coastal areas that could provide vacation opportunities.  Could this extend to some areas of the Caribbean?  Perhaps.  I have begun to search for land vacay possibilities in the Caribbean and many of them have opening dates on June and July.  

I guess under the bubble approach, we would also have to see how this would impact air travel.

Nice idea and great first thread!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

1 minute ago, PelicanLvr said:

How would ship crew be cleared into the "bubble"?  

How would crew members come and go?

Fun logistics that somebody would get paid handsomely to figure out.  

Honestly, I can see such a travel bubble concept being applied to land vacations before being applied to cruise ships.

27 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Fun logistics that somebody would get paid handsomely to figure out.  

Honestly, I can see such a travel bubble concept being applied to land vacations before being applied to cruise ships.

As I said far from ideal but to answer the questions. Anyone entering a bubble would have to complete a 14 day quarantine as is already the case for the two which appear to be forming at the moment

Crew would have to be put up for the 14 days prior to getting on the ship and the system would primarily attract passengers from within the bubble as quarantine time would make it impractical for others

But you're right - would work even better for land based holidays.

My point is it could be possible if governments and the tourist industry get their head together.

I believe "bubbles" will have a place in the new normal world during corona virus but if that works for the cruise industry and lets us travel again - only time will tell

• Thanks 1

I believe the Australia/New Zealand "travel bubble" is based around the fact that both locations have few cases and have this mostly under control. I'm not sure what the state is right now in the UK/France if they are also considering a travel bubble.

The US most definitely does not have this under control. Any country choosing to enter a "travel bubble" with the US may as well just allow all international travel given that US currently accounts for 1/3 of all worldwide cases.  

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I love the travel bubble idea and despite what some views may be about the progress in the US, I think it could work if implemented properly.  In our area (of the US), we have begun living again (in a phased in and safe way filled with precautions) so we are not experiencing some of the unrest that others perceive to be occurring.  

Just to be clear, we do not 'perceive' unrest to be occurring - it is occurring.  Many of our states are still under strict shelter-in-place orders with no end in sight.  In Illinois our governor has grouped us into regions, with each region to be moved to less strict guidelines as that area improves.  Unfortunately, the entire suburbs surrounding the city of Chicago are all grouped into the same region of Chicago, where the virus is running rampant for many reasons, some due to age-long problems and some due to ignorant people who are defying guidelines by partying in the streets in groups of hundreds and in other ways thumbing their noses at the rest of us.  In contrast, in the burbs the people are by and large being very cooperative in following guidelines and are very unhappy with being grouped in with Chicago.  I see a lot of unrest coming out of this, as it is unlikely Chicago itself will reach our targets for reopening anytime in the next few months (and for that matter, anytime this year!).  A financial and humanitarian disaster.

• Like 1

I think there are flaws in a 14 day quarantine. It appears a large majority with the virus are asymptotic. If the incubation time can be up to 14 days you could have asymptotic people walking around during the 15-28 day mark

8 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Just to be clear, we do not 'perceive' unrest to be occurring - it is occurring. 

Understood.  However, as I said earlier, we are not seeing this in our area.  Perception is one's reality but I have no doubt that what you describe in your area is true... I pray things improve sooner rather than later.

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Understood.  However, as I said earlier, we are not seeing this in our area.  Perception is one's reality but I have no doubt that what you describe in your area is true... I pray things improve sooner rather than later.

Agreed, we are all praying.  I think you don't see it in your area because you have a lot more open, and were closed down for a shorter time I believe.  I hope for all our sakes that doesn't result in a huge rise in cases.  If it doesn't (fingers crossed) it could help our governor see that maybe he needs to re-evaluate his stringent plan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, york survey said:

Interesting that Infinity has just sailed for the UK.

UK, in the broadest terms, yes.  But I looked on some crew sites, and found that the Infinity is not going to England.  It's en route from CoCo Kay for a stop in Gibraltar, but it's true destination is Goa, India.  RCCL, Celebrity and Azamara  transferred their crew members with India citizenship from the various other ships to this one for a repatriation voyage. 

10 minutes ago, 9K35 said:

UK, in the broadest terms, yes.  But I looked on some crew sites, and found that the Infinity is not going to England.  It's en route from CoCo Kay for a stop in Gibraltar, but it's true destination is Goa, India.  RCCL, Celebrity and Azamara  transferred their crew members with India citizenship from the various other ships to this one for a repatriation voyage. 

Shows how quick things are moving.  Just looks again and you are correct. Marine traffic has changed destination from UK to GIB UK

Good call - I stand corrected

Just a thought. Where hoop dresses a fashion statement? Maybe hoop skirts come in fashion for men and women. Another thought, has anyone seen the Panic! at the Disco video "Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off' Everyone in the video have fish tanks with goldfish on their heads.

At their very widest, hoop skirts had a diameter under 6'. If you were to design one keeping to social distancing norms, you would need to make it at minimum 14' in diameter (2 ft for body width plus 6 ft on all sides). Good luck walking down a cruise ship corridor or anywhere else for that matter. Double car garage doors start at 12' in width!

• Haha 1

Without U.S. cruisers I don't think any of the biggest cruise lines could operate. Exceptions I think might be MSC and Costa. And any of those cruise lines operating without U.S. passengers would not be able to sail out of Florida and would have to reposition to another Caribbean island. Not sure if any of them have facilities large enough to accommodate embarkation and debarkation of the newer big ships like MSC has.

All of the states in the Northeast, including Virginia and north were hit very hard by the virus, but even the governor of New York State is moving to a phased opening.   New York City is the worse area but their infection, death and hospitalization rate in falling and has been for over two weeks.   Maryland with Gov. Lockdown is now allowing us to visit the dentist and doctor.   He has also opened the golf courses but not the beaches but he has a plan for opening all areas.    California and western states are way ahead of us as is Texas and Florida.   Cruising should be possible from the U.S. by the end of Fall.

• Haha 1

US deaths, leading the globe, are now over 80,000 and climbing; opening up will cause the numbers to continue climbing; the threat of a second wave is very real; cruise lines have done nothing as yet to mitigate the threat of COVID-19 for future passengers; vaccinations are still a long way off. The likelihood of cruising out of the US this fall is nil. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

At their very widest, hoop skirts had a diameter under 6'. If you were to design one keeping to social distancing norms, you would need to make it at minimum 14' in diameter (2 ft for body width plus 6 ft on all sides). Good luck walking down a cruise ship corridor or anywhere else for that matter. Double car garage doors start at 12' in width!

If everyone (man and women)is wearing a hoop skirt you would only need 3' each side. My boss was great about saying thinking outside the box. Corona virus is mentioned in the article.

https://theconversation.com/the-fashionable-history-of-social-distancing-134464

Edited by bigbenboys
added words
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

If everyone (man and women)is wearing a hoop skirt you would only need 3' each side. My boss was great about saying thinking outside the box. LOL

https://theconversation.com/the-fashionable-history-of-social-distancing-134464

No-no-no! You need to keep in mind the anti-hoopers with no concept of social distancing! :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 5

When I read your title "Are Travel Bubbles the Way Forward" I pictured actual individual plastic bubbles which surround each passenger on airplanes-that would be kind of interesting. 

• Haha 2