Has your attitude to P&O changed?

Eglesbrech

3 hours ago, Clipper Chick said:

I will stay with P&O. Last November I sailed on Celebrity Silhouette and Cunard Queen Mary 2. Without upsetting Majortom I personally found the crew less friendly and the dining room experience (both service and food) far far inferior to either P&O or Marella. I walked off both those ships without a backwards glance but left Arcadia on 12 April after 99 nights with a heavy heart. I found the Celebrity ship all style and no substance.

The current situation has only affected me in an amended world cruise itinerary and doubt over next year’s which was booked before all this took off.

P&O have the friendliest crews at sea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You wont upset me we all have different views and opinions but IMO P&O do not come near to Cunard and QM2 is a very special cruise liner. We love sea days so love doing roundtrip TAs but appreciate sea days are not everybodys cup of tea. Having cruised nearly 50 times with P&O, Cunard and Princess since 1997 and again only my opinion but in preferential order would put 1) Cunard 2) Princess 3) P&O

21 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You wont upset me we all have different views and opinions but IMO P&O do not come near to Cunard and QM2 is a very special cruise liner. We love sea days so love doing roundtrip TAs but appreciate sea days are not everybodys cup of tea. Having cruised nearly 50 times with P&O, Cunard and Princess since 1997 and again only my opinion but in preferential order would put 1) Cunard 2) Princess 3) P&O

Just goes to show that we are all different. Even if, before covid-19 , we all thought the same there would only be a few cruise lines remaining. As always, each to their own.

• Like 2

I'm fairly new to cruising. My first was in 2017 and I've only had 5 - all with P&O. I was booked on a 2 week Baltic cruise for June this year and when it was cancelled, I decided to book a replacement cruise next year and use the FCC for it. The cruise next year is of course a lot more expensive even than 125% of this year's, but I accepted that and just booked online and paid the deposit knowing that most of the balance will be covered by the FCC. I have no visibility of what my FCC value is but have done my own calculation of it. I also already had 2 other cruises booked - one in December this year and one in April 2021.

Before all this happened, I had a high respect for P&O given it's 180 year heritage and good service on board. However, it pains me to say that my respect for them has plummeted when I look at the way they've treated their loyal customers over the refund process. They have clearly strung people along and given false promises on timescales to get their money back. The communication has been appalling both for customers wanting confirmation that their refund is being processed and those like me who cannot see what FCC has been applied for cancelled cruises and OBC for shore excursions.

Whether any of my 3 booked cruises actually sail is debatable as I believe a vaccine needs to be available to all pax before they can, but if they do sail, I will be on them. However, for future cruises, I'm now very likely to start looking at alternative cruise lines based on some of the recommendations I've seen written on this forum.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

When it's OK to cruise, ie insurance and Covid, we would stay with P&O purely for price and like their 19 day cruises to the Med.

Comes to something when a cruise line is selected for price rather than quality, service and value for money.

We also used to love P&O 19 nighters and have done the 18-19nts to Venice and back a great many times.

However over the years the cut backs have become relentless and totally changed the experience and that sadly also leached into the itineraries.   19 nighters used to have great itineraries and you'd usually get 8-9 ports a trip.

Now you'll get maybe 7 ports and this years brochure even had several 19 nighters with just 6 ports !!! Just outrageous imo.

Previously great itineraries with top ports were suddenly riddled with lots of (imo) lesser "cheap" ports. 

In the end just got sick of the endless penny pinching and brazen policies to make as much profit as possible instead of delivering a (imo) quality product.   It's been described by numerous people as "Butlins At Sea" and that's totally the result of the influence of Carnival since they took over.  P&O was formerly a great brand, one that I would have stuck with and had absolutely no need to consider trying other lines.   The brand for me has since been brutally diluted and the experience is a far far lesser one than it used to be on just about every level.   COVID-19 has crippled the cruise industry and I can only hope that Carnival will be forced to sell off some cruise lines in order to survive and it would be my sincere hope that P&O is one such line.  

P&O desperately needs a new owner imo, one focussed on delivery of service and quality rather than profits.  One that would restore the former brand and restore the P&O values.  I know many think likewise and I know many of them are P&O staff who equally have hated Carnival's influence.

Off to Celebrity for me for good or bad

Edited by KnowTheScore
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Turn the Tide said:

. My first was in 2017 and I've only had 5 - all with P&O

Without stating the obvious, if you only cruise with one line, you cannot make a meaningful comparison. There is nothing wrong with P&O if you are not picky,  but they are the Aldi of the cruising world. I shop in Aldi most of the time, but I do like to go to M&S occasionally for some luxury. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, the english lady said:

We have been cruising with pando since early 2000. We now live opposite the port of Southampton, so for us crusing could not be easier.

Am I put off pando, no, having read other boards, exactly the ame with other cruise lines. They are nearly all making people wait for refunds (I cant actually think of one who isn't)

Ref the timescale. Lets say at the start of the crisis you had 100 staff in the call center in Southampton. Due to the virus itself and self iso;ation you were suddenly down to half that, then you had to arrange home working, then you had an overwhelming number of phone calls/messages/etc for refunds transfers etc. Would any company be able to cope with half the staff off.

Plus I don't think American lines will be back over heart anytime soon. I personally would not feel safe. Have they learnt their lesson with the virus..no, they are hoping to start cruising in August from some ports in America. so not vaccine...so how they are going ensure peoples health I have no idea.

Sorry, but your post is slightly meandering. 

I agree that these are difficult times, but after 10 weeks or so,  most companies have been able to respond to the crisis in a timely manner.  P&O seem to have spent more time arranging Quiz Nights or Cocktail Tastings on FB than sorting out a coherent refund strategy. Why, for example, are pax on Iona getting refunds before anyone else?

To see what can be done, look how Premier Inn, with many more bookings than P&O, have efficiently and promptly dealt with refunds. Your argument about call centre staff is irrelevant.  If PI can do it, why can't P&O? 

As to your strange assertion about American lines - you do know that P&O is an American line, don't you? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, but your post is slightly meandering. 

I agree that these are difficult times, but after 10 weeks or so,  most companies have been able to respond to the crisis in a timely manner.  P&O seem to have spent more time arranging Quiz Nights or Cocktail Tastings on FB than sorting out a coherent refund strategy. Why, for example, are pax on Iona getting refunds before anyone else?

To see what can be done, look how Premier Inn, with many more bookings than P&O, have efficiently and promptly dealt with refunds. Your argument about call centre staff is irrelevant.  If PI can do it, why can't P&O? 

As to your strange assertion about American lines - you do know that P&O is an American line, don't you? 

There we go. An example of rudeness which seems to be a hallmark of this forum. 

P&O might be owned by an American company but it certainly it’s an American line. 

16 minutes ago, bourdon said:

P&O might be owned by an American company but it certainly it’s an American line. 

Please explain the rudeness in this reply? I don’t see it, I see facts. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, the english lady said:

Ref the timescale. Lets say at the start of the crisis you had 100 staff in the call center in Southampton. Due to the virus itself and self iso;ation you were suddenly down to half that, then you had to arrange home working, then you had an overwhelming number of phone calls/messages/etc for refunds transfers etc. Would any company be able to cope with half the staff off.

As a travel consultant in an office of around the same number of staff you use in your example I’m going to give you my experience of a company who dealt with the issues you highlight in your support of P&O. 

Due to the virus and self isolation (primarily due to parents who children had been sent home) initially we experienced a reduction in staff of around 5%, not anywhere near 50%. 

Secondly our IT team arranged for all staff to be capable of home working in around 5 days. 

In the week of 16th - 20th March (before lockdown announced) 100% of office based staff were in a position to work from home and were doing so.

Therefore, my position is that if a travel company like the one I work for can do it, why couldn’t P&O? Basic incompetence comes to mind and P&O is a company that obviously does not have a credible disaster recovery plan that every company should have. 

Edited by peteukmcr
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, the english lady said:

Am I put off pando, no, having read other boards, exactly the ame with other cruise lines. They are nearly all making people wait for refunds (I cant actually think of one who isn't)

Am I put off P&O, yes I am because compared to other lines their customer service is appalling. I submitted a claim for a refund on 17th March and received a refund on 6th May (51 days) bearing in mind that at the time of claim P&O were quoting a timeframe of within 45 days. Subsequently this went to within 60 days, oh and then this changed to “working days”. 

Another cruise line refunded me in 22 days, claim submitted 2nd April, refund received 24th. At the time their timescale was within 30 days, only recently has it been extended to 45 days unlike P&O where the minimum is now 60 days and staff are now reportedly quoting 90 days where customers have been waiting longer than 60 days already. I’m still awaiting refund for shore excursions and other pre paid items so I am now at 61 days and counting. Indefensible. 

Edited by peteukmcr
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Comes to something when a cruise line is selected for price rather than quality, service and value for money.

We also used to love P&O 19 nighters and have done the 18-19nts to Venice and back a great many times.

However over the years the cut backs have become relentless and totally changed the experience and that sadly also leached into the itineraries.   19 nighters used to have great itineraries and you'd usually get 8-9 ports a trip.

Now you'll get maybe 7 ports and this years brochure even had several 19 nighters with just 6 ports !!! Just outrageous imo.

Previously great itineraries with top ports were suddenly riddled with lots of (imo) lesser "cheap" ports. 

In the end just got sick of the endless penny pinching and brazen policies to make as much profit as possible instead of delivering a (imo) quality product.   It's been described by numerous people as "Butlins At Sea" and that's totally the result of the influence of Carnival since they took over.  P&O was formerly a great brand, one that I would have stuck with and had absolutely no need to consider trying other lines.   The brand for me has since been brutally diluted and the experience is a far far lesser one than it used to be on just about every level.   COVID-19 has crippled the cruise industry and I can only hope that Carnival will be forced to sell off some cruise lines in order to survive and it would be my sincere hope that P&O is one such line.  

P&O desperately needs a new owner imo, one focussed on delivery of service and quality rather than profits.  One that would restore the former brand and restore the P&O values.  I know many think likewise and I know many of them are P&O staff who equally have hated Carnival's influence.

Oh there you are... I wondered when you would reappear with your unbiased insights... 😊

P&O has suited a lot of people for a long time. 

We have managed to have many fantastic holidays at reasonable prices, making it, IMO good value for money for us. 

We know the offering is not the best, but, for the money, more than good enough. 

We have encountered interesting people, been to lovely places and had some fantastic laughs, while being served fairly decent food and drink by dedicated and interesting crew in nice surroundings with some good entertainment thrown in. 

We have always known P&O are far from perfect, but have still had great times at decent prices, enabling us to cruise 3-4 times a year. 

As Wowzz says, you don't go to Aldi expecting M&S quality. 

The lack of information and quite sneaky way in which they have handled the refunds may make me up my budget and have less holidays with other lines, but I will always be grateful for the fantastic memories P&O helped us achieve. 

Andy 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bourdon said:

Carnival PLC based in Southampton which suggests they're British. 

I don't think anyone would say Land Rover was an Indian company because they're part of Tata.

And Carnival Corp is based in Panama...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, funinhounslow said:

Carnival PLC based in Southampton which suggests they're British. 

I don't think anyone would say Land Rover was an Indian company because they're part of Tata.

And Carnival Corp is based in Panama...

Carnival are quoted on both the New York and London stock exchanges, but as far as I can see, the AGM is held in the US.  Not sure what nationality that makes them.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

wowzz P&O is American owned but certainly not run like any American line I have sailed on, and I doubt that Aida or Costa's regular cruisers, also Carnival owned, would consider that their lines are American.

2 hours ago, funinhounslow said:

They're a PLC with their registered office in Southampton.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04039524

Struggle to see how they can be described as anything other than a British company...

You can protest as much as you like but Carnival is US managed and probably has more US shareholders then UK ones, and the buck stops at their Miami headquarters.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

Am I put off P&O, yes I am because compared to other lines their customer service is appalling. I submitted a claim for a refund on 17th March and received a refund on 6th May (51 days) bearing in mind that at the time of claim P&O were quoting a timeframe of within 45 days. Subsequently this went to within 60 days, oh and then this changed to “working days”. 

Another cruise line refunded me in 22 days, claim submitted 2nd April, refund received 24th. At the time their timescale was within 30 days, only recently has it been extended to 45 days unlike P&O where the minimum is now 60 days and staff are now reportedly quoting 90 days where customers have been waiting longer than 60 days already. I’m still awaiting refund for shore excursions and other pre paid items so I am now at 61 days and counting. Indefensible. 

Marriot refunded my non refundable booking in 5 days. Globus refunded in 10 days, Gatwick parking just about before I finished the online request. The P&O  excuse is...............???????

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Marriot refunded my non refundable booking in 5 days. Globus refunded in 10 days, Gatwick parking just about before I finished the online request. The P&O  excuse is........???????

That customers will give us their money again anyway so why put a shift in???????

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Well I don't nowo what 19 nighters you were looking at.  We have 2 booked, one ha 8 ports and the other has 11.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh there you are... I wondered when you would reappear with your unbiased insights... 😊

P&O has suited a lot of people for a long time. 

We have managed to have many fantastic holidays at reasonable prices, making it, IMO good value for money for us. 

We know the offering is not the best, but, for the money, more than good enough. 

We have encountered interesting people, been to lovely places and had some fantastic laughs, while being served fairly decent food and drink by dedicated and interesting crew in nice surroundings with some good entertainment thrown in. 

We have always known P&O are far from perfect, but have still had great times at decent prices, enabling us to cruise 3-4 times a year. 

As Wowzz says, you don't go to Aldi expecting M&S quality. 

The lack of information and quite sneaky way in which they have handled the refunds may make me up my budget and have less holidays with other lines, but I will always be grateful for the fantastic memories P&O helped us achieve. 

Andy 

I feel sorry for the ship's crew who usually are fantastic and are being let down by poor HO customer service.

Like you I have always liked P&O and had some brilliant cruises with them even though we sail predominantly on Royal Caribbean because of our loyalty perks and large choice of amenities.

I think the balcony cabins are nicer on P&O than most RCL balcony cabins.

When things start to get back to normal I will sail P&O again because of the ship's and crew rather than the poor HO customer service.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I feel sorry for the ship's crew who usually are fantastic and are being let down by poor HO customer service.

Like you I have always liked P&O and had some brilliant cruises with them even though we sail predominantly on Royal Caribbean because of our loyalty perks and large choice of amenities.

I think the balcony cabins are nicer on P&O than most RCL balcony cabins.

When things start to get back to normal I will sail P&O again because of the ship's and crew rather than the poor HO customer service.

Britannia balconies would be even nicer if you didn't need to turn the chair sideways to sit down. I think the view is nicer from Celebrity balconies.😁

• Like 2