How many crew will decide not to return?

Orator

Haven't seen this discussed,but staffing can be a major problem for all lines. I was speaking to a friend who goes online with many crew on various lines and some say that they are finished working on ships. I see this as a potential problem for all the lines as experienced crew might decide to stay home and switch careers. The cruise lines would still need to fill the vacated positions if they want to continue to offer outstanding service. It would be, IMHO a mistake to use this opportunity to save some dollars by reducing staffing. They have made this mistake before and it showed in a reduced cruise experience. The other alternative would be to replace experienced workers with new and inexperienced crew. Of course some lines could "raid" others for the best crew. Any thoughts?

I think it is a very real possibility that this will make many people think twice before going to work on a cruise ship.  Obviously this will vary by region - in some areas with few other options, crew may have no choice but to come back.   I am curious to see how this affects the staff members who live in more affluent areas and have more choices - such as the live music acts and the stage performers generally speaking.   It will be a difficult situation for sure.

I absolutely think this will be an issue going forward.  Crew has always soldiered along, working 80 hours a week without a break for 7 or 8 months, because there was a monetary value to them doing that.

But after some spending 45-60 days or more locked up in a ship with little or no pay, will I am sure push many to the thinking that "Yes, my income will be less at home.  But I will be working 12 months a year instead of 9 or 10, and I will be home with my wife or husband and sons and daughters every night."

How much is that worth?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Maybe- hopefully another thing that has to change when crusing reopens. The working conditon of the Crew!

Threat them well and you will have loyal employees- so the old saying goes.

We have seen some non- Officers receiving 30 year service awards and have met many waiters, cabin attendants and bartenders who have been working on ships for 10-20 years.  I think the majority of the crew feel that working on a ship provides them the opportunity to provide a decent standard of living for their family, something many would not be able to do otherwise.

There are many in the US working 70/80 hrs a week for less than minimum wage and they don’t get a place to sleep or 3 meals a day.  

Working on ships is not easy but it is a good option for some and provides a long term career for some.

17 minutes ago, jelayne said:

There are many in the US working 70/80 hrs a week for less than minimum wage and they don’t get a place to sleep or 3 meals a day.  

Many?

Where would that be?  Even most undocumented immigrants don't work 70 or 80 hours a week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

Many?

Where would that be?  Even most undocumented immigrants don't work 70 or 80 hours a week. 

Landscape crews, hotel maids who also clean houses after getting off work at the hotel, nail salon technicians who work 7 10 hour days to name a few.

If they resume sailings with reduced passenger capacity they can reduce crew capacity but hopefully they keep the current passenger to crew ratio.  Because of the reduced number of contracts, less supply will increase demand and I believe there won't have any noticeable loss of current cruise experience assuming they keep it close to the current ratio.  X, like most lines, are paying their crew while they try to get them home; many, because they're getting paid but don't have to work as hard or long and are enjoying the experience even though they'd rather be home.  Many crew are scared of not having a contract for months or more if the pandemic is around in the fall.  Often people take their lives when they lose hope, I just don't see the stress of being temporarily stuck on the ship being that big of a factor, I believe they're doing it because of the loss of hope with other factors affecting their future.

I agree- some will love to come back- some have no  other chance than come back an earn money- money they can not earn that easy in the country´s they come from!

Some crew members wont even go home-  for some those empthy cruise ships are a safe haven- i read that Captain Kate on board the Edge allows the crew to stay in passenger cabins. Which is really great- and why should she not allow it - the cabins are unused, have balcony´s or at least a window.

Captain Kate - even though i never sailed on board a ship with her at the helm-  seems to be an excellent leader!

Also she is a great ambassador for X- a real marketing hit with bug naked.

11 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

If they resume sailings with reduced passenger capacity they can reduce crew capacity but hopefully they keep the current passenger to crew ratio.  Because of the reduced number of contracts, less supply will increase demand and I believe there won't have any noticeable loss of current cruise experience assuming they keep it close to the current ratio.  X, like most lines, are paying their crew while they try to get them home; many, because they're getting paid but don't have to work as hard or long and are enjoying the experience even though they'd rather be home.  Many crew are scared of not having a contract for months or more if the pandemic is around in the fall.  Often people take their lives when they lose hope, I just don't see the stress of being temporarily stuck on the ship being that big of a factor, I believe they're doing it because of the loss of hope with other factors affecting their future.

Again- I agree- I fell terribly sorry for those crew member who took their own lives. I also very much dout that they did it because they couldn´t get home- there must be more to their story´s, we are not told- since it is ever so easy to lay  the blame at the cruise line.

Edited by Germancruiser

4 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Again- I agree- I fell terribly sorry for those crew member who took their own lives. I also very much dout that they did it because they couldn´t get home- there must be more to their story´s, we are not told- since it is ever so easy to lay  the blame at the cruise line.

Yes this is life in general and sadly many people live with mental health issues and something like this can push them over the edge. The article posted above has little if anything to do with the future difficulties with staffing ships. Other than the time it’s going to take to train a higher percentage of new staff it’s not going to be an issue simply because there has always been a demand for cruise ship positions from individuals from under developed countries, that’s not going to change.