Haven Restaurant Breakaway

UDKO

Are reservations required for the Haven restaurant on the NCL Breakaway?  Can they be done onboard or do you have to make them prior to sailing like the other restaurants?

Are you required to tip in the Haven restaurant?  Any suggested tip amounts for butler or concierge?  My understanding is that they do not get any of the prepaid gratuities.

6 minutes ago, UDKO said:

Are you required to tip in the Haven restaurant?  Any suggested tip amounts for butler or concierge?  My understanding is that they do not get any of the prepaid gratuities.

No requirement.  The tipping threads for butler and concierge are always all over the place.  Best advice is to do what you feel is right to those that you feel deserve it.  In the Haven restaurant you don't typically always have the same server although our last Escape trip we did have one guy pretty much every night and he was fantastic.

2 hours ago, UDKO said:

The Haven Restaurant staff does get their portions of the "service charge."  It is only the butlers and concierge that are not included in that pool.

Edited by gizfish

4 hours ago, UDKO said:

Tipping is at your discretion. We have tipped the Maitre D for helping us on a cruise. As a minimum, if a waiter is good, take the time to write a Hero card for them. 

What's good?

A waiter that will bring your beverage of choice without being asked

A waiter that when you see them in the buffet the next day, they recognize you by name

A waiter, when you tell them you are going to a show, ensures that you have a leisurely meal, but get to the show on time (vs. a waiter that fires everything and dumps multiple courses on the table at the same time). 

We had a Haven waiter on the breakaway who was really good. A year and a half later, she served us in Ocean Blue on another ship and reminded us of our prior meeting. We've also had waiters that we see on cruise after cruise on different ships who remember us cruise after cruise. All of them get Hero cards making them sound like the best employee that NCL has ever had.  

Haven questions before sailing.  Does NCL contact you before hand to ask preferences?  Do they send anything in the mail about being a Haven guest?  Are there special baggage tags for the Haven?  I am asking all of this because I upgraded our sailing to the Haven as a surprise for my wife.  I am hoping she does not find out until we walk into the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UDKO said:

We have not tipped in the Haven restaurant. In the Yaht Club restaurant on MSC we tipped our waiter because it really was "our" waiter, the same waiter every meal and always perfect service.

It's almost impossible to suggest an amount for butler and concierge. Pay what you feel it's worth for you. No need to tip,  it's up to you. 

We normally tip the butler a few times during the cruise if we eat breakfast  in the cabin. We have given the concierge a tip at the end of the cruise.

14 hours ago, DublinFC said:

Haven questions before sailing.  Does NCL contact you before hand to ask preferences?  Do they send anything in the mail about being a Haven guest?  Are there special baggage tags for the Haven?  I am asking all of this because I upgraded our sailing to the Haven as a surprise for my wife.  I am hoping she does not find out until we walk into the cruise terminal.

It was typically around 50 days out that you'd get a letter with contact info of folks in Miami plus luggage tags.  

Requests can be made. What actually gets done, YMMV.

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

It was typically around 50 days out that you'd get a letter with contact info of folks in Miami plus luggage tags.  

Requests can be made. What actually gets done, YMMV.

Good to know, I will talk with our TA to see what can be done. Thank you.

Edited by DublinFC

20 hours ago, DublinFC said:

I am asking all of this because I upgraded our sailing to the Haven as a surprise for my wife.  I am hoping she does not find out until we walk into the cruise terminal.

I was able to hide our upgrade from my husband until I had to put on our luggage tags and he noticed they said "Priority".  He was pleased.  It was the start to our "once you go Haven, you never go back" cruising.  

PS - we always tip our Haven waiter/server, but then we pretty much tip everyone, which is our choice 🙂

Edited by Niffernay

17 hours ago, Niffernay said:

I was able to hide our upgrade from my husband until I had to put on our luggage tags and he noticed they said "Priority".  He was pleased.  It was the start to our "once you go Haven, you never go back" cruising.  

Awesome, if thats when she notices then no worries. Who gets the prepaid gratuities in the Haven?  I do not want to feel we are stiffing the waiter in the Haven restaurant.

1 hour ago, DublinFC said:

Who gets the prepaid gratuities in the Haven?  I do not want to feel we are stiffing the waiter in the Haven restaurant.

I have to be honest, I have no idea; I tip regardless.  There are PLENTY of people on here who will be happy to answer that for you.    😁

Edited by Niffernay
  • Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 7:24 PM, DublinFC said:

Normally 50 days prior to cruise, you will get a letter via snail mail. It will be a 6" x 5" (1/2 sheet) envelope. Intercept the envelope!!!!

The "Priority" luggage tags don't really get your bags to you any faster. So, to hide the Haven room, just print the normal luggage tags off your edocs. They will look like any other tag for the ship. 

If you are successful, the first time your wife will know something is amiss is when you head into the Haven check-in (vs. the regular). 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DublinFC said:

Awesome, if thats when she notices then no worries. Who gets the prepaid gratuities in the Haven?  I do not want to feel we are stiffing the waiter in the Haven restaurant.

Waitstaff and room stewards in haven are included in the tip or service charge...whatever you want to call it...pool.  Concierge and butler are not.  

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 2:11 PM, BirdTravels said:

Normally 50 days prior to cruise, you will get a letter via snail mail. It will be a 6" x 5" (1/2 sheet) envelope. Intercept the envelope!!!!

The "Priority" luggage tags don't really get your bags to you any faster. So, to hide the Haven room, just print the normal luggage tags off your edocs. They will look like any other tag for the ship. 

If you are successful, the first time your wife will know something is amiss is when you head into the Haven check-in (vs. the regular). 

I will see if I can intercept the letter for sure.  If not oh well.  I will be using the regular luggage tags if I am successful in hiding the letter.

On 5/22/2020 at 5:05 PM, gizfish said:

Waitstaff and room stewards in haven are included in the tip or service charge...whatever you want to call it...pool.  Concierge and butler are not.  

For those who are not included is there a suggested amount for the service they provide?  New to the Haven experience so I appreciate any information provided.

It’s up to you entirely, we had a barman in the Haven that just creeped around the same group, we always had to wait, despite the smiles he got nothing.

Pay what you think they’re worth to you?

I always try to leave a $5 bill behind after a meal service in the Haven Restaurant. I have always been given wonderful service and over the top care when dining there and being in the Haven in general. Not required though, just a little "extra" I like to do, especially when I know the person taking care of me. 🙂

• Like 2

I don't usually tip in the Haven restaurant.  However, I do fill out the HERO cards for them!  And, I write a thank you note to put the butler/concierge tip in (if deserved).  I have only had one trip where I didn't tip butler, because they were basically MIA.  I usually leave a little extra for the room steward, as they usually are the friendliest, most visible/accessible people on the ship!

• Like 1