A PR professional view on return to cruising

jimbo5544

Facts on the industry, discussion of revenue generation, what tarnishes the industry and what is needed to return...yah sounds like fluff to me.Actually sounds right on, but I read this site and and Cruise industry news every day, what do I know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem with the piece is it's as if Covid19 never existed. The whole reason why the industry is shutdown is because of a communicable disease. The article doesn't discuss even ONE POINT on how the industry will deal with the pandemic. Tbh is a complete FAIL of an article on how the cruise industry will prevail over the disease.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

From the article I can see this happening fairly quickly over the next year.

"Size matters. Cruise lines will merge, they will sell off ships, brands will shrink or disappear. 

It was an interesting article to read.  The only problem I had with it is that the title says what it will take for the cruise industry to survive and the above is the only thing that really addressed it.  I thought there would be more speculation on what cruising would be like after it starts back up again.  Not just downsizing.

• Like 2

From the article I agree with.

The cruise industry has every reason to be concerned about its future but for many reasons and to many people, it will remain a viable business proposition that the smart people running this global industry are already figuring out. 

• Like 1

If and when it comes back it will be years in the making, all confidence has been lost.  

I was just traveling this week, everyone wearing masks, even some had goggles.  In the news we hear about ever increasing death rates, and new complications   

Most of the cruise demographics is most at risk ( older, with health issues )   

Without a high efficacy vaccine and extensive 100% reliable testing and huge changes in sanitation cruising will be far smaller and look far different.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, kwokpot said:

The problem with the piece is it's as if Covid19 never existed. The whole reason why the industry is shutdown is because of a communicable disease. The article doesn't discuss even ONE POINT on how the industry will deal with the pandemic. Tbh is a complete FAIL of an article on how the cruise industry will prevail over the disease.

Quoted at the end of the article:

The captains of sea will overperform to ensure onboard health and safety protocols are met including sanitization, air filters, passenger screening and fewer passengers per ship to accommodate social spacing. 

14 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Quoted at the end of the article:

The captains of sea will overperform to ensure onboard health and safety protocols are met including sanitization, air filters, passenger screening and fewer passengers per ship to accommodate social spacing. 

Not enough information. What about improved onboard medical facilities? Extra TRAINED medical personnel? Extended medical centre hours? Onboard covid19 tests? Onboard isolation areas? Onboard equipment to treat respiratory illnesses? What about agreements WITH ALL ports visited about disembarkation in the event of suspected Covid19 cases? What about screening passengers and crew embarking after port stops?

That's just the surface of the things that need to be worked out before anyone boards a cruiseship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Not enough information. What about improved onboard medical facilities? Extra TRAINED medical personnel? Extended medical centre hours? Onboard covid19 tests? Onboard isolation areas? Onboard equipment to treat respiratory illnesses? What about agreements WITH ALL ports visited about disembarkation in the event of suspected Covid19 cases? What about screening passengers and crew embarking after port stops?

That's just the surface of the things that need to be worked out before anyone boards a cruiseship.

I’d say that if this is considered appropriate and necessary for cruising, there won’t be any cruising.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I’d say that if this is considered appropriate and necessary for cruising, there won’t be any cruising.

Of course the things I mentioned are necessary. Why do you think the CDC has stopped all American cruises? They are waiting for the cruiselines to create appropriate plans in response to the pandemic. That's why I keep saying that too many posters here on CC think the cruiselines are just going to start back up with everything the way it was and keep thinking it's all these doom & gloom people preventing them from going on a cruise.

It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with doom and gloom travelers and everything to do with creating a safe and illness free traveling environment for both employees and guests. In addition creating a mitigation plan if illness does happen on board. The problem for the cruiselines is there's no easy solutions. There's lots of moving parts. That's why it's going to take time,money, and coordination between multiple parties before cruising starts up again.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

From the article I can see this happening fairly quickly over the next year.

"Size matters. Cruise lines will merge, they will sell off ships, brands will shrink or disappear. 

I don't think there will be any mergers.if anything this mega ship race will get put off or end.

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Check out my clia post on above

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

All great points, and none of them is easy. It will be interesting to see how they are dealt with.

9 hours ago, kwokpot said:

All true. All based on an educated reading of the No Sail Order and a rational assessment of the future of cruising.

On the other end is the magical unicorn approach of the diehard "optimists" who manage to keep believing that a couple of extra Purell stations & a half-dozen Lido servers will fix things.
   Those are the same folks who appear dumbfounded each month as their latest rosy forecast falls through. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 9:45 PM, jimbo5544 said:

A Public Relation Professionals view on what will happen as the industry returns, a very interesting read.  Check it out.

A belated Thanks for posting the article link, which I'd not previously seen.  Lots of speculation by all of us, but that was a good one to add into the mix. 😊

One of the things I've not yet heard addressed at all (as SO much right now is much higher priority) will be the status and continued early presence of the shoreside team members working at those limited ports in August for cruise check-in.  Tends to be primarily a particular demographic in those part-time roles, and I wonder if the majority will have a desire to continue them in those early stages of bringing it all back online.  The former version of those roles involved quite a bit of closeness to many passengers.

And then being 'brand-specific', I'll personally be interested to see how Carnival handles building a queue for passengers on the already-busy Lido who await assisted service for the Guy's and Blue Iguana toppings bar.

Thanks, again, for the article info.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DGP1111 said:

A belated Thanks for posting the article link, which I'd not previously seen.  Lots of speculation by all of us, but that was a good one to add into the mix. 😊

One of the things I've not yet heard addressed at all (as SO much right now is much higher priority) will be the status and continued early presence of the shoreside team members working at those limited ports in August for cruise check-in.  Tends to be primarily a particular demographic in those part-time roles, and I wonder if the majority will have a desire to continue them in those early stages of bringing it all back online.  The former version of those roles involved quite a bit of closeness to many passengers.

And then being 'brand-specific', I'll personally be interested to see how Carnival handles building a queue for passengers on the already-busy Lido who await assisted service for the Guy's and Blue Iguana toppings bar.

I would think more technology and less people. Security check points could be a challenge.

Lido could be place your order on the Hub app and a table number and a server bring it to you when ready.

20 minutes ago, DGP1111 said:

There is much to do and most is or will be trail braising. It will be interesting to watch assuming these early sailings happen.  

12 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I would think more technology and less people. Security check points could be a challenge.

Lido could be place your order on the Hub app and a table number and a server bring it to you when ready.

I agree, technology has to be the answer.  

12 hours ago, chipmaster said:

If and when it comes back it will be years in the making, all confidence has been lost.  

I was just traveling this week, everyone wearing masks, even some had goggles.  In the news we hear about ever increasing death rates, and new complications   

Most of the cruise demographics is most at risk ( older, with health issues )   

Without a high efficacy vaccine and extensive 100% reliable testing and huge changes in sanitation cruising will be far smaller and look far different.

"Smaller and far different" is the safest bet of the day.

Carnival is dumping 45% of its South Florida workforce.  45%. 😲😧

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242735236.html

5 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

"Smaller and far different" is the safest bet of the day.

Carnival is dumping 45% of its South Florida workforce.  45%. 😲😧

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242735236.html

“it shows they don’t believe there will be any cruising before next year,” Shillinglaw said. “It’s a huge move and not a good vision for cruising” — raising the possibility that other companies might make additional staff cuts.

It really doesn't sound good. Stinks for all them workers. Sad times. 

• Thanks 1