The end of the buffet - Especially the Windjammer

https://allears.net/2020/05/18/news-royal-caribbean-cruise-line-announces-they-may-eliminate-buffets-when-they-resume-sailings/

read a couple of stories on this on Monday.  Not a good sign.  Not the end of the windjammer as a place, but the end of the buffet style.  It will be open, but you will have to be served, which is harder to picture - really big menu?  I want some of this, and a pile of that, please??  Hard to picture

I only really used the Windjammer for breakfast, but I liked that aspect.  Occasionally used smaller aft buffets for a quick lunch.  so I will miss them.  My kids pretty much ate at the Windjammer exclusively (they couldn't be bothered with the dining rooms except upon request).  Also the Windjammer took a lot of pressure off the main dining rooms by eliminating those that don't actually want to clean up, put on decent clothes, and sit down to a meal with others.  So I guess the dining rooms will become more crowded again especially with the advent of anytime-type dining.  Unclear if this change will be permanent or not.  More changes coming I'm sure according to a number of youtube cruise bloggers

Edited by RCLDIAMONDIAM
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, RCLDIAMONDIAM said:

read a couple of stories on this on Monday.  Not a good sign.  Not the end of the windjammer as a place, but the end of the buffet style.  It will be open, but you will have to be served, which is harder to picture - really big menu?  I want some of this, and a pile of that, please??  Hard to picture

No biggie. Cafeteria style. No menu. Walk the line and make your selection(s) and the server will plate your selection(s). The cruise lines do this when there is a norovirus break out. 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, davekathy said:

No biggie. Cafeteria style. No menu. Walk the line and make your selection(s) and the server will plate your selection(s). The cruise lines do this when there is a norovirus break out. 

Totally agree with you my friend.  🙂  

Cut down on the gluttony of food choices, make it more like a larger version of Park Cafe with smaller food area (which would also help with newly available areas to add seating that is needed).  Definitely would help curb the  huge food waste and plates piled up like Mount Oinky...  🐷   If you want more...simply go up for seconds.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

Totally agree with you my friend.  🙂  

Cut down on the gluttony of food choices, make it more like a larger version of Park Cafe with smaller food area (which would also help with newly available areas to add seating that is needed).  Definitely would help curb the  huge food waste and plates piled up like Mount Oinky...  🐷   If you want more...simply go up for seconds.  😉 

Exactly. I also believe we will see this change in the DL for the small evening snack buffet. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Exactly. I also believe we will see this change in the DL for the small evening snack buffet. 

Good point!  Not a fan of the "stuff" they put out anyway, actually enjoyed just the individual little jars of bar mix they used to hand us during the first "Diamond Events". 

Some peanut snack mix and hand me my wine thank you...I am a happy cruiser!  😉 😄 🍷

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL! That might be wishful thinking. I have visions of people sticking their two plates out for more on their first trip through the line and some being downright rude about it. 🙄😁

Edited by Big_G

Just now, Big_G said:

LOL! That might be wishful thinking. I have visions of people sticking their two plates out for more on their first trip through the line and some being downright rude about it. 🙄😁

Yeah, typical...and sad at that.  Those are the types that sail just for the food.  😜

• Like 1

Well before the pandemic, there were older threads discussing how MDR service suffered by staff cutbacks on some ships, despite a good work effort by the staff to compensate. And I suspect diners in the MDR on average are higher maintenance than feeding people through a buffet. Plus the buffet offered the option for much speedier eating, and seated many yet at times was packed. Not cross-reference that with possible 'social distancing' concerns and the fact you can't wear a mask while eating.

The cafeteria approach davekathy mentioned sounds like the best option, and maybe the only workable one. 

Considering how crowded dining areas and some venues like the pools already got at times, I'm curious as to what they'll look like going forward. Imagine the pool or lazy river with the lifeguard blowing a whistle everyone people get within 6 feet of each other. 

6 minutes ago, drrich2 said:

Considering how crowded dining areas and some venues like the pools already got at times, I'm curious as to what they'll look like going forward. Imagine the pool or lazy river with the lifeguard blowing a whistle everyone people get within 6 feet of each other. 

Keeping people more than six feet apart at all times is impossible. The solution (until an effective vaccine) is testing, contact tracing, and isolating the positives.

• Like 2

End of buffet...... well, an HD told me once

that about 16% of the food budget is wasted.

Not all.... but probably most waste from just

closing down the buffets each meal.

So there is always the 'cost saving' carrot

dangling in front of management.

1 minute ago, Rocket3D said:

End of buffet...... well, an HD told me once

that about 16% of the food budget is wasted.

Not all.... but probably most waste from just

closing down the buffets each meal.

So there is always the 'cost saving' carrot

dangling in front of management.

I wonder, do they count plated food as "wasted?" Are they counting the amount that is scraped off of people's plates? I think most of the waste comes from oversupplying the ship. They always carry a few extra days of provisions just in case and some of it spoils before they can use it.

Good question.... I think it was a percentage $$ of the food budget.

They do keep track by time and temp. Out it goes after a few hours.

I think they can keep it on the line for 2 hours at 160 degrees...then dump.

There is more to usable/not usable than we see.  Not all of it gets plated.

Edited by Rocket3D
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

What they should do is have piped in classic rock music.

• Like 1

It could still be a buffet (not ordering off a menu) but the food could be served by attendants behind the counter.

BTW, I was on Indy in Dec, 2 years ago, and Noro hit, didn't hit us thankfully, but they had 'all hands on deck' literally, even the talent were gloved and serving food.

Anyway, we like the idea of variety..... and it wasn't so bad being served whatever you picked.

That would work.

Edited by Rocket3D
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

TA meeting today, maybe they will hear some more definite things

Nope, Fain would not say anything definite.  He wants to deliver an entire view of what cruising will be like in one shot, not by drips and drabs.  I just wish they'd get on with it and let us know what they're working on so we know.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
typo
  • Like 1

Anymore the way they pack them into the main dinning rooms is no better than the Windjammer. The only difference they serve you in the MDR. We were served in the Windjammer on 2 cruises that had Norovirus.

4 minutes ago, Rocket3D said:

Dining room food is too salty.... need to have ability to make own salads.

Park Cafe makes salads...you just point and choose.  And my favorite actually IS the MDR on sea days.  Tutti Salad bar...yumms!   Both of those venues are served salads, but with your own choices.