Princess just posted 2022 World Cruise. Maybe we are next

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've heard that as well -- lots of repeaters. For me, I think it would be a one-time "experience".  I enjoy traveling on land too much and also like variety in destinations. Just given the boundaries of geography, it seems a lot of the world cruises tend to visit similar places year on year. Of course, some will focus more on one area or another -- but in some parts of the globe, the choices within reasonable sailing distance can be limited.

It would be a one-time deal for me also.  Just from a financial standpoint.  Having lots of repeaters is a concern for me, as I've heard there are "cliques" on board and you're a newb it can be difficult to find your niche.  Do we ever move beyond high school?

2 minutes ago, Infi said:

Did the 2020 WC passengers ever vote on the 2022 itinerary? I know the four options were made available to them, but never heard the outcome of the vote. 

Yes, we were given the opportunity to cast a vote on the 2022 World survey. From my experience with the world cruise surveys, they never tell you what the actual vote count was. Last time I spoke to HAL they were hoping to have the itinerary finalized and announced by mid-June. Of course with so many unknowns regarding the 2021 itinerary, it could be a bit longer before we hear about the 2022. Personally, I think they'll put something out there (even if it needs changing between now and 2022) just to enable them to start accepting bookings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

That IS a nice itinerary from Crystal. And about the time I am thinking of retirement....🤔

Roy -- I think you sail solo?  I see Crystal offers a solo supplement that is less than 100%. How do the costs compare with HAL, all things considered (e.g., after you add grats and expenses to the HAL price)?  Does HAL also offer a reduced solo supplement (e.g., not 100%) on World cruises?

What is a World cruise like as a solo?  I am not a huge fan of a lot of sea days -- one reason I like the Crystal itinerary -- but I also assume Crystal would have much more to offer on sea days than HAL -- or is that also different on the WC?

Just curious...

When I did Crystal World Cruise in 2018 I did a companion thread on the HAL forum with some comparisons.  One post was on pricing which is probably more information than I want to duplicate but I'll quote it here and perhaps be able to remove some of the fluff:

On 12/31/2017 at 3:25 PM, rafinmd said:

A matter of money

One likely question is “Do I need to win the lottery to book a Crystal World Cruise? (Hint: I haven’t) Clearly, Crystal is more expensive, but it’s all a matter of circumstances and priorities.

I can’t compare directly with the HAL 2018 World Cruise since it’s been sold out for a long time. My coming cruise is 116 days of which 97 are actual world cruise with a regular Panama Canal cruise pre-pended. HAL’s 2019 World Cruise is 113 days, a little bit shorter than mine but all world cruise so I’m considering them fairly equivalent.

When I was on the Oosterdam the future cruise consultant talked about “location, location, location”, and I kind of turned the concept topsy-turvy.

Location 1: The right itinerary–Usually home port Baltimore for RCI, transatlantic for Cunard and more complicated for Crystal and HAL

Location 2: The right ship

Location 3 (a distant third), the cabin on the ship. Much as in real estate a modest house in a good neighborhood can be more valuable than a mansion somewhere else, that’s how I feel about cruise ships and cabins.

I won’t give dollar amounts but will do some general comparisons and will include a few disclaimers. What you get and pay on any cruise is always a function of one’s individual circumstances. As a solo, I benefit from modest solo supplements on Crystal. Crystal is all inclusive and since I don’t drink that makes it somewhat less of a value to me. I did make a few adjustments to the HAL price to bring things somewhat more into line. I do like a daily Diet Coke, and have added $125 to the HAL fare for 5 soda cards. I’ve also added $925 for my normal half hour a day of internet. I have not given any tips on Crystal since they went all inclusive, and have added $1,525 for the auto gratuity (1695 for suites). What I have done on Crystal in lieu of tips is make a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund which roughly offsets the additional tips for my cabin stewards and waiters on HAL.

On each ship I am on the second lowest cabin category which is a mildly restricted ocean view cabin. Here’s my view from my Serenity cabin,

3s7061view.jpg I could get and be happy with the lowest HAL cabin with a tub(F), that would be about  70% of my Crystal price. A HAL full ocean view  cabin is significantly more expensive than the (F), about a sixth less than my Crystal price”. Moving to a HAL balcony is a big step up, about 1/3 more than the full my Crystal price” A Neptune Suite would really drive up the price, almost 2 ½ times the the price for my cabin on Crystal.

Comparing Crystal and HAL, it comes down to “Do you want to be on Crystal or do you want a balcony?” Each person needs to look at their individual wants and needs and I didn’t do that calculation before hand but if I did the decision would have been “I want to be on Crystal”

Roy

I will mention that the extra suite benefits on Crystal are really minimal, so aside from the extra space there is really little need to go beyond the basic cabin, especially for a solo.

Sea days on Crystal are extremely active with usually about 3 lecturers per day and many other things.  The lectures are also all recorded so if you're busy when they happen they are readily available at your convenience with "lecture on demand" on your stateroom TV.

Roy

Roy

• Like 1

I travel solo, no problem met a lot of nice people. There is lots to do on the ship it is up to you to participate. And no i did not do crafts LOL. It is true there are lots of cliques on the WC. Some people won't let others join at the open seating table and you hear several of them I done 11 WC.... good for them but as a first timer it is not a good impresion.

And in the crows nest and in the showroom a few times i was told this is my seat.

And you have to watch the Trivia folks in the crows nest at 4.30 pm. 

And on the 2020 WC single supplement was 200% ,On the 2021 it is 160% for the time being.

Edited by Lazy Lakes
forgot to include info
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

When I did Crystal World Cruise in 2018 I did a companion thread on the HAL forum with some comparisons.  One post was on pricing which is probably more information than I want to duplicate but I'll quote it here and perhaps be able to remove some of the fluff:

I will mention that the extra suite benefits on Crystal are really minimal, so aside from the extra space there is really little need to go beyond the basic cabin, especially for a solo.

Sea days on Crystal are extremely active with usually about 3 lecturers per day and many other things.  The lectures are also all recorded so if you're busy when they happen they are readily available at your convenience with "lecture on demand" on your stateroom TV.

Roy

Roy

Thanks Roy -- this is just the kind of info I was hoping for!  I don't need a balcony cabin either. And I know, for solos, the scale can often tip in the favor of luxury lines that seem to be more generous with regard to the solo supplement.  

This all gives me something to think about -- which is great, as I was getting a little bit of "travel depression" with no immediate trips to plan for.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Yes, we were given the opportunity to cast a vote on the 2022 World survey. From my experience with the world cruise surveys, they never tell you what the actual vote count was. Last time I spoke to HAL they were hoping to have the itinerary finalized and announced by mid-June. Of course with so many unknowns regarding the 2021 itinerary, it could be a bit longer before we hear about the 2022. Personally, I think they'll put something out there (even if it needs changing between now and 2022) just to enable them to start accepting bookings.

Thank you. I had been wondering about the outcome of the vote - certain versions of the itinerary were much more appealing than others.

Agree with the comments above where others expressed concerns about the WC cliques. We have sailed on the Amsterdam on the holiday cruise immediately preceding the WC three times now, and have seen the behavior of some who were continuing on and heard some stories about what happens onboard the WC. It seems like it is quite difficult for first time WCers to fit in and become a member of "the club".

Unfortunately, this is one of the two main concerns that has kept us from taking the WC plunge for several years now.

• Like 1

My DH and I did the 2019 WC. We did find some people had cliques. However, it didn't bother us at all. We found plenty of the repeat WC people to be friendly and inviting. We formed lasting friendships. And yes, there were a few people that felt entitled to a specific seat in the theater. I chose to not let that bother me. We sat in the same seats in the Lido for breakfast most days too as it was close to an outlet for my laptop (I worked on my blog after breakfast). If someone was there, I certainly wouldn't say anything to them. We sat elsewhere and moved to that table when it was available. The biggest "issue" was finding an open spot for crafts. If you want to do it on every sea day, you needed to get there very early to get a seat. So many people saved tables for their friends that it was difficult for others to find a seat for lunch.

• Like 2

I sailed the last segment of the 2007 Grand World Cruise:  Rome to Fort Lauderdale.  It was an admittedly "trial run" before I committed to the 2008 Golden Anniversary Grand World Cruise.  My experiences were interesting.

If the 2007 cruise had cliques, I was not aware of them in any venue.  4 of my 5 table mates were full world cruisers; the other person embarked in Greece, just before me.  (An interesting lady, but she did not gell with our table and left a couple of days later.)

2008:  it was a whole new world as to cliques.  For some, "entitlement" was the name of the game for some.  (I can give you chapter and verse.)  To be fair, most of the "regulars" were welcoming and kind.  We newbies and others not in the cliques:  all of us had a great cruise, I think.  It was those "entitlement" type of folks that were the disappointments.  

Our Hotel Manager was a newbie for my world cruise.  He was an experienced Hotel Manager for HAL and I had sailed with him on a previous cruise.  He did an excellent job on that cruise.  This cruise, I think, proved to be a learning experience for him as to how to handle the "entitlement" folks.         

7 hours ago, Roz said:

Having lots of repeaters is a concern for me, as I've heard there are "cliques" on board and you're a newb it can be difficult to find your niche.  Do we ever move beyond high school?

Moving beyond high school for some?  No.  Surviving whatever cliques one finds?  Yes.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

2008:  it was a whole new world as to cliques.  For some, "entitlement" was the name of the game for some.  (I can give you chapter and verse.)  ...  It was those "entitlement" type of folks that were the disappointments.  

Ah! Those are the stories I want to hear. Come, sit next to me and we'll chat. 😉 
Drinks are on me. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Ah! Those are the stories I want to hear. Come, sit next to me and we'll chat. 😉 
Drinks are on me. 

Ruth, I would be pleased to do so.  (A Villa Maria Sauvignon Blanc would be appreciated, thank you.)  CC is probably not the forum on which to do so, however.

With both of our cruise histories, I am sure we could engage in a most interesting conversation that could last for many days.  (Interesting, at least, for us!) 

• Like 1

I was surprised when HAL showed a 200% price for solos on the 2020 GWV as I have always paid between 160 and 170% except for Alaska.  Luckily, they grandfathered me at the usual supplement because I had been on the 2018 GWV.  

I guess I have been lucky as I have never had any problems with cliques on the GWV.  Yes, there are many people who do the GW every year so at first you think everyone knows everybody else but I have quickly made friends.  I think being active on your CC roll call helps with meeting people whether they are on their first or twenty-first world voyage.

Roy - I am really surprised that you are still waitlisted.  I guess some are waiting to see what will happen (cancelled by HAL, itinerary altered, etc.) before cancelling.  I wonder how many have paid in full to get the discount?

• Like 1

Do you think maybe Princess was trying to create an itinerary with fewer less "exotic" ports in the event something goes awry and they have to end the cruise prematurely, similar to what happened with the Amsterdam?  Princess had so many issues connected with the virus outbreak that maybe they're just trying to play it safe.

So many of the ports towards the end of the cruise can be accomplished on a Med itinerary so I agree, it doesn't hold much appeal from a WC standpoint.

17 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

I think being active on your CC roll call helps with meeting people whether they are on their first or twenty-first world voyage.

Very true in my experience.  I was a co-planner for my first Roll Call experience as a new member of CC for Volendam's 2002 Asia Pacific Cruise.  ITravelNow and I helped to arrange a very successful series of CC Roll Call meetings during that cruise that has resulted in making friends for me since that time.  Many of whom, I still keep in touch and have sailed/visited since that wonderful 2002 cruise.  

On 5/29/2020 at 12:08 PM, KirkNC said:

Now that’s a cool itinerary!  Don’t like that it ends in Barcelona but love the overnights (some two nighters) and many unique.  Who has ever overnighted at Easter Island.  Of course Crystal is always a tad pricey.

The Maasdam overnighted at Easter Island back in 2018, but we weren't supposed to stay on the island overnight.  However, some of the staff did and the Captain was a bit upset especially if he wasn't able to land on Day 2.

It was cool to visit the island on 2 successive days and spread out the visit.

Given the precarious tendering history there we decided to fly there from Santiago in 2018.  We spent three nights there and got to see pretty much everything there.

Edited by KirkNC

On 5/31/2020 at 7:55 AM, Roz said:

Do you think maybe Princess was trying to create an itinerary with fewer less "exotic" ports in the event something goes awry and they have to end the cruise prematurely, similar to what happened with the Amsterdam?  Princess had so many issues connected with the virus outbreak that maybe they're just trying to play it safe.

So many of the ports towards the end of the cruise can be accomplished on a Med itinerary so I agree, it doesn't hold much appeal from a WC standpoint.

The Itinerary is very similar to the 2021 Princess World Cruise with minor port variations - most natable that 2021 goes over the top of Australia and hits east and Northe aussie ports when the 2022 goes under Australia hitting Southern and Western ports.  Also 2022 seems to have less in the South Pacific but more in the Mid-East and Europe/N Africa.  So I'd say it's more a normal year over year variance than a change in port strategy. 

IMHO - HAL usually has one of, if not the best, World Cruise itineraries

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1