Princess just posted 2022 World Cruise. Maybe we are next

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

And Crystal just released 2023.

Roy

Now that’s a cool itinerary!  Don’t like that it ends in Barcelona but love the overnights (some two nighters) and many unique.  Who has ever overnighted at Easter Island.  Of course Crystal is always a tad pricey.

25 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Strange thought here.  Wonder if Carnival Corp would just alternate Princess and HAL for the World Cruise?  Financially it could make sense.  

I would hope not, two different experiences.

16 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Now that’s a cool itinerary!  Don’t like that it ends in Barcelona but love the overnights (some two nighters) and many unique.  Who has ever overnighted at Easter Island.  Of course Crystal is always a tad pricey.

We actually did that on the 2018 World Cruise.  I was really surprised that it was chosen as one of the shoreside events for full world cruisers since it tends to be a risky tender situation:

https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/2018/03/31/day-symphony43-friday-march-30-2018-arrive-easter-island/

One big difference between Crystal and HAL is that the numbers doing the full world cruise is fairly small so it's easier to choose a segment or two.  At this point I am still waitlisted for a segment of the Amsterdam World Cruise next year.  I thought by this time there should have been enough cancellations to easily clear me.

Roy

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

We actually did that on the 2018 World Cruise.  I was really surprised that it was chosen as one of the shoreside events for full world cruisers since it tends to be a risky tender situation:

https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/2018/03/31/day-symphony43-friday-march-30-2018-arrive-easter-island/

One big difference between Crystal and HAL is that the numbers doing the full world cruise is fairly small so it's easier to choose a segment or two.  At this point I am still waitlisted for a segment of the Amsterdam World Cruise next year.  I thought by this time there should have been enough cancellations to easily clear me.

Roy

Your right about the tendering challenges.  On the 2019 HAL world they were only able to get about 1/2 the people off.  It was taking 45-60 minutes per tender.  They assigned people groups and think they only got to group 16 (there were over 30 groups).  This year it went better but was still a little dicey.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

And Princess is using the Island Princess which at 2200 passengers is much larger than either the Pacific Princess or HAL's Amsterdam.  Should be interesting as to how this all pans out for 2022.

2,200 yikes, too many.  Will be interesting to see how that fills up.  It’s only a matter of time before HAL goes to a bigger ship as well.  On the 2019 WC Orlando brought up using a bigger ship.

Princess is also using the Island for the 2021 World Cruise.  The larger ship allows them to sell more cabin as segments rather than full cruise, which I would gather can be more profitable per passenger per day than the full voyage (higher base cruise fare per day along with potentially greater ancillary spending per day on a shorter segment).  They had previously published the 2022 World Cruise itinerary back in mid/late February, and when they announced their first "pause" on cruising pulled it.  Not sure if it ever actually was available for booking or not.  I don;t have the original World Cruise info for 2022, so not sure if they modified anything from the initial announcement or not.  

This will have no bearing on the HAL 2022 World Cruise announcement in my opinion.  I suspect HAL is delaying announcement until they determine whether the 2021 World Cruise will be a "go" or "no-go" as that may influence the 2022 itinerary, and they would want to re-accommodate 2021 pax for 2022 before opening it to the public if the 2021 is a "no-go".

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

4 people have posted on Cruise Critic that they have cancelled the 2021 .

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

ending in Barcelona would be just fine by us 😉 

I'm going to take a look at this one.  It sounds interesting.

I can understand the interest in a future world cruise.  But, I don't understand even considering making a deposit on a booking for such a cruise until our crystal balls become more clear as to what the next few years are going to be like for those of us who enjoy travel.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I counted roughly 71 ports on the Crystal 140 night cruise, Princess lists 49 on its 111 night 2022 world cruise. I've dreamt of world cruises for years, P&O, Princess, and Cunard always seem light on ports.

My preferred world cruise would head through the Panama Canal to far flung Pacific and Indian Ocean islands and visit numerous ports on the east and west coast of Africa. I would want to visit places that are difficult to visit any other way, not the Mediterranean, Europe, or the west coast of Mexico and the USA.

19 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

18 hours ago, KirkNC said:

That IS a nice itinerary from Crystal. And about the time I am thinking of retirement....🤔

Roy -- I think you sail solo?  I see Crystal offers a solo supplement that is less than 100%. How do the costs compare with HAL, all things considered (e.g., after you add grats and expenses to the HAL price)?  Does HAL also offer a reduced solo supplement (e.g., not 100%) on World cruises?

What is a World cruise like as a solo?  I am not a huge fan of a lot of sea days -- one reason I like the Crystal itinerary -- but I also assume Crystal would have much more to offer on sea days than HAL -- or is that also different on the WC?

Just curious...

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Does HAL also offer a reduced solo supplement (e.g., not 100%) on World cruises?

HAL does offer a reduced single supplement on their World Cruise. I've been on two as a solo traveler and it varied from 160%-170%. I believe it's reduced on shorter cruises as well... I have two 2-week cruises booked and I paid less than the full 200%.

What is a World cruise like as a solo?  I am not a huge fan of a lot of sea days -- one reason I like the Crystal itinerary -- but I also assume Crystal would have much more to offer on sea days than HAL -- or is that also different on the WC?

Good question.  I'm curious also about the responses you'll get.  Based on my last HAL cruise and the lack of daytime activities, I wouldn't be anxious to take a WC with them.  But, their pricing is solo friendly compared to most others. 

I wonder how many passengers from the aborted 2020 WC are anxious to take the 2021 or 2022 WC?

Just curious...

You might read the posts from Scrapnana who was on this year's WC as a single.  She posted on CC and I also accessed her blog on TheInsideCabin.com where Pete listed several 2020 WC blogs.   Cherie

1 minute ago, Roz said:

I wonder how many passengers from the aborted 2020 WC are anxious to take the 2021 or 2022 WC?

Most everyone I became friends with on the 2020 World are still planning to take the 2021 and 2022...... I'm not sure I'd describe them as anxious, but they're hanging in there. It's quite amazing how many passengers do the World cruise year after year after year. I'd say it's close to 30% repeat cruisers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

HAL does offer a reduced single supplement on their World Cruise. I've been on two as a solo traveler and it varied from 160%-170%. I believe it's reduced on shorter cruises as well... I have two 2-week cruises booked and I paid less than the full 200%.

Good to know as a starting point.  Of course, this is all a moot point without knowing itineraries. The 2023 Crystal one would just tick so many boxes for me.

Of course I have to think that if they don't have coronavirus's butt kicked by 2023, cruising may be vastly different.

5 minutes ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Most everyone I became friends with on the 2020 World are still planning to take the 2021 and 2022...... I'm not sure I'd describe them as anxious, but they're hanging in there. It's quite amazing how many passengers do the World cruise year after year after year. I'd say it's close to 30% repeat cruisers.

I've heard that as well -- lots of repeaters. For me, I think it would be a one-time "experience".  I enjoy traveling on land too much and also like variety in destinations. Just given the boundaries of geography, it seems a lot of the world cruises tend to visit similar places year on year. Of course, some will focus more on one area or another -- but in some parts of the globe, the choices within reasonable sailing distance can be limited.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cccole said:

You might read the posts from Scrapnana who was on this year's WC as a single.  She posted on CC and I also accessed her blog on TheInsideCabin.com where Pete listed several 2020 WC blogs.   Cherie

I've read some of Scrapnana's posts (particularly during the end of this year's WC due to all the hub-bub, so that may not be a fair sampling, lol...). Scrapnana is more self-sufficient in terms of keeping busy than I probably would be -- I'm not a crafter of any kind. So I do like a mix of activities on board to interest me. I can only read so many hours in a day.

• Like 1

Did the 2020 WC passengers ever vote on the 2022 itinerary? I know the four options were made available to them, but never heard the outcome of the vote. 

At any rate, I doubt we'll see the 2022 WC itinerary anytime soon. HAL has bigger fish to fry right now; worrying about deployments and itinerary planning is probably last on their list.

Edited by Infi