SUITE CLASS WORTH IT ON ALASKA CRUISE?

I searched but cannot find anything on this topic that I need.  If you find a thread that has covered this already, please let me know.

My husband and I are planning our first cruise to Alaska, looking at Sept. 2021.  We have some credit left from our cruise that was cancelled this April.  My question relates to the type of cabin.  We have booked suites (GS and CL) in the past and love the suite perks.  We are looking at a suite for Alaskan cruise (GS or Owner's).

Some of the perks (reserved seating at pool, etc) won't really be used on an Alaskan cruise.  For those who have cruised in a suite to Alaska, did you feel it was worth it?  The balcony for GS and Owner's suite are quite large and feel it would afford some incredible views.  We do spend a lot of time on our balcony.  We don't drink so we tend to take that money and book suites.

So I'm just wondering on Alaska vs. Caribbean, are the suite perks still worth it?

Thanks for all of your help.

I have to first say that our best vacation EVER was Alaska in a suite. But I need to admit that it was on the Norwegian ship in a Haven suite, so the benefits were somewhat different (in the Haven we had a private deck at the top of the ship only for Haven guests and that was unbelievable).  Regardless, you must have a balcony of some kind, it would be a complete waste if not - AK cruises are like a photography book every day and almost every mile. Like you, we enjoy sailing in suites and so needless to say we find it worth the money most of the time. And I personally recommend the smaller ships as there are places they can venture that are so special that aren’t accessible to the larger ships on Alaska cruises. I hope that helps at least a little bit.

Edited by AlohaLivin

Thanks, AlohaLivin.  During the time we can go, RCC does not have any smaller ships in Alaska.  We will definitely do a balcony (doesn't seem to be a point if you don't!!)  Your response does help and I know the Haven is similar to RCC suites only areas.

• Like 1

Radiance and Seranade of the Seas are in Alaska in September 2021...............and if you aren't stuck on Royal Caribbean, check out the 10 day itinerary on Sapphire Princess on September 15, 2021 , itinerary can't be beat, awesome ports and 2 glaciers days..........

Edited by Jimbo

32 minutes ago, gamecock411 said:

Thanks, AlohaLivin.  During the time we can go, RCC does not have any smaller ships in Alaska.  We will definitely do a balcony (doesn't seem to be a point if you don't!!)  Your response does help and I know the Haven is similar to RCC suites only areas.

We move between RCL and NCL (the latter strictly because of the Haven, we like that niche that we think of as being in the sweet spot between the area of suites and star suites on RCL). For us, the small ship size is just amazing for Alaska - it is the little details, like how close you are to the water when the eagles circle instead of the seagulls. I am sorry to hear there are no smaller ships headed that way via RCL, but as @Jimbo mentioned there are so many options. I hope you find one that will be as memorable as our first Alaska cruise.

Edited by AlohaLivin

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Radiance and Seranade of the Seas are in Alaska in September 2021...............and if you aren't stuck on Royal Caribbean, check out the 10 day itinerary on Sapphire Princess on September 15, 2021 , itinerary can't be beat, awesome ports and 2 glaciers days..........

Not from Seattle.   Sorry I didn't specify my origination port.  And I am going with RCC because of future cruise credit which must be used. 

Gamecock, here is a link to my live review from a few summers ago on Radiance of the Seas. We sailed southbound after doing a land tour in Alaska. I booked the Royal Suite and it was great space for the four of us.  We used the balcony a great amount as the weather was spectacular.  

Now for the suite perks aspect. We almost sail exclusively on Oasis Class ships so the suite perks on Radiance were a huge difference for us. No Costal Kitchen, if there was priority seating at the pool I didn’t notice it, but the breakfast in Chops was great.  We went to the SL once but at the end of every day we were so exhausted we just flaked out. We only went one night to a show. YMMV, the room size and balcony was the biggest “perk” and the rest was nice. 

As for the review, there are videos imbedded in it but after CC changed their format they are no longer a direct link.  After the switch this is what the link look like in the red circle. Copy and paste it into Internet Explorer or Safari and it will come up. If you paste it into YouTube it isn’t always the first video to come up. 

737EDC8E-2915-4FF6-B2FB-B3D09DCF785F.thumb.jpeg.231a384496e927f8d9a39a695ca5bdc0.jpeg

Here is a link to that video to get you in the mood for Alaska. We have been three times and it is spectacular.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. 

Thanks, A&L.  I appreciate the information.   The helicopter ride is stunning!

My husband has done multiple Caribbean cruises with me so it's his turn for Alaska.   I don't like the cold weather but he deserves this.

• Like 1

I would say yes!  You will have access to the suite lounge which is great, lumina the suite restaurant and lots of "priority" options.  Also, the suite, even entry level sky suite, is much more comfortable as you have space to put things away and when you walk- you don't bump into each other.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Haha 1

For Alaska the most important is to have a cabin that enables you to have great views of the scenery. In addition the excursions are also something to consider, especially helicopter / plane ones which are quite expensive. Hence, I would set the priorities on these elements personally, and if budget allows for a suite then to go for it, otherwise to use the money more for the excursions.

It's really a personal thing, hence also if someone plans to spend more time on the ship than to go on excursions etc, then it also might be more worth it to go gor a Suite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

I would say yes!  You will have access to the suite lounge which is great, lumina the suite restaurant and lots of "priority" options.  Also, the suite, even entry level sky suite, is much more comfortable as you have space to put things away and when you walk- you don't bump into each other.

Enjoy your cruise.

What is lumina?  I've never seen that one on a Royal ship.

If you are looking at Quantum class from Seattle then like Oasis class there are some benefits of the Royal Suite Class.  

When sailing on Ovation to Alaska I frequently visited the Suite Sun Deck which was often not very busy and offers a great way to move quickly from starboard to port and back again.  Hundreds of my pictures and videos were taken from the Suite Sun Deck. 

Coastal Kitchen is also a significant benefit on Quantum class and so is the Concierge Lounge on this class of ship due to the aft views and floor to ceiling glass windows.  Even if the nightly happy hour doesn't have direct appeal, the views all day long make the CL very appealing.  It is however a long walk back to the CL so if you have mobility issues keep that in mind.  Personally I don't mind the walk.

While Voom will always be slower in Alaska compared to the Caribbean at least it's included in Sky Class on Quantum class. 

On Royal's other Alaska based ships, Radiance and Serenade, the benefits of GS or above don't do very much for me regardless the region they sail.  Oasis and Quantum class have Royal Suite Class so the benefits for GS and above do stand out and have some merit. 

• Like 1

Alaska is our favorite cruise destination and we sail yearly (well.... not this year). 

And... Alaska is one of the most expensive cruise markets. While we travel in suites a lot, we make a conscious decision the "rough it" on Alaskan cruises and book a regular balcony. We spend hours each day on our balcony watching the sea life (whales, seals, dolphin). And then full days in ports. Not much time to enjoy the comforts of a suite. 

• Like 2

We had a Grand Loft book on Ovation in Sept. but it went bye bye.  We like the suites for the perkes that are available.  Actually we like the genie suites.  We were looking forward to seeing some of Alaska from the North Star and I know we would have been able to get on it more than most people.  Also SC offers internet which is important to us as I home school my granddaughter.  You need a balcony for Alaska and the suites seem to have the biggest ones.  Unfortunately Alaska is not happening this year.  I did however, look a little ahead and thinking this might happen I started looking at next year and found the Royal Suite on Quantum for less than we paid for the Grand Suite on Ovation.  So this year is a bummer but next year should be a fun family vacation.

1 hour ago, lovelife said:

What is lumina?  I've never seen that one on a Royal ship.

Getting the names of the suite restaurant mixed up with Celebrity. Quarantined brain!  lol.  But my comment refers to the RC suite restaurant also.  IMO the more room in your suite-the better!  We usually book a Crown loft on those ships that have them.  If not, an owners suite on our Royal sailings.

Edited by Cruise a holic

8 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Getting the names of the suite restaurant mixed up with Celebrity. Quarantined brain!  lol.   But my comment refers to the RC suite restaurant also.

No prob.  Yes, Coastal Kitchen is great for all three meals.

I don't think that where the cruise sails really affects the question of is a suite "worth it".  If you're looking to book a suite you've already decided you are willing to pay the suite premium.  Alaska is no different.  You'll even find folks using the pool.  

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for your input.  This has helped me with my suite question.  I'm not concerned about the money for shore excursions vs. booking a suite because I have an RCC credit card so I always build up about $1k in OBC and I use this to purchase excursions.  While I know that Alaska shore excursions are more expensive, this will help a great deal.

Happy cruising everyone!  And, again, thanks for all the valuable input.

1 hour ago, gamecock411 said:

Thanks, everyone, for your input.  This has helped me with my suite question.  I'm not concerned about the money for shore excursions vs. booking a suite because I have an RCC credit card so I always build up about $1k in OBC and I use this to purchase excursions.  While I know that Alaska shore excursions are more expensive, this will help a great deal.

Happy cruising everyone!  And, again, thanks for all the valuable input.

$1000 = 1 shore excursion.....